HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Possible Risky Exposure

(1/1)

Matty:
Hey everyone,

I had a possible exposure a little over six weeks ago (unprotected insertive sex with a trans girl). I started feeling off about two weeks after. Main symptoms are a stiff neck and mild headaches. I also developed what I thought was oral thrush around three weeks. Ive had two 4th gen tests at 22 and 30 days post-exposure and an HIV RNA test at 33 days. All came back negative. Are these symptoms all in head or do I need to continue testing? Any insight will be greatly appreciated

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

The symptoms so far have nothing to do with HIV, see your doctor and treat them. I hope you feel better soon.

With regards to HIV from this exposure, the 30-day antibodies test in this case is high confidence, if you retest at 6 weeks post-exposure a negative result at that time will rarely ever change. Also, test for far easier to transmit STI's.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP going forward as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other easier to transmit STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

Matty:
Thanks for the reply. And yeah Im getting another fourth gen test done here in a day or two to get  confirmation.

Matty:
Hello,

I topped a trans woman last Friday (unprotected), and I am curious as to how risky the encounter was.  She was tested back in October, and everything came back negative.  She also hasn't had another partner since then.  Is this still considered high risk or am I freaking out over nothing?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Allen:

--- Quote ---She was tested back in October, and everything came back negative.  She also hasn't had another partner since then.

--- End quote ---

It's irrelevant.

She could test today and it means nothing to you due to the window period and other issues. As for the claims about her sexual history since her last test, it's a claim, I can't verify that and neither can you, that said she may have had sex with the entire village and be HIV negative or had sex only once and be living with HIV.

--- Quote ---I topped a trans woman last Friday (unprotected), and I am curious as to how risky the encounter was
--- End quote ---

It's a real-world HIV risk and testing is recommended to confirm your HIV status.

To confirm your HIV status you can test at six weeks post-incident with a blood-drawn HIV antibodies test and a non-reactive result at that time will rarely ever change. Although generally not needed if you wish you can retest at 3 months.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about taking PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as 'safe' in terms of HIV might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get tested regularly and at least yearly for STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and, the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" The forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version