Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:09:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 489
Total: 490

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Caregiver for Elderly Parent and Have HIV/AIDS  (Read 5383 times)

Offline MarkintheDark

Caregiver for Elderly Parent and Have HIV/AIDS
« on: December 25, 2018, 10:57:47 pm »
I need some feedback.

Some of you might recall my mom had an MI in August and when she was discharged to home, I became a full-time caregiver while I tried to convince her church ladies to help out.  She has moderate dementia.  I become responsible for her scripts, medical appointments, etc., while trying to complete the legals she's neglected (like her DPOA). 

I warned people I was becoming so exhausted I could end up hospitalized...and that's what happened just over a month later (due to a rhinovirus from her that exacerbated my COPD).  Clinically, I was knocked back to AIDS again.  Took me a couple months to fully recover, save my numbers, even as it became necessary for me to assume control of her legals and financials while I was still in bed.  I did hire a home aide to visit a few times a week...along with a couple of those church ladies (who are now fed up with her cray-cray).

That shit's finally done, but I'm fried...again.  I've been cautioned by my medical support already, despite having delegated her day-to-day care, having shopped for and arranged for her admittance to assisted living.  Her dementia is worse and, for my survival, I avoid dealing with her if possible.  I handle the business end.  She doesn't like it, but I'll be damned if I'll risk another hospital stay.

I just have to hang on a couple more weeks.  I've drawn clear boundaries on what I will and will not do.  I'm NOT her maid, handyman, nurse, therapist, etc.  I've put my priorities, medical and psychological, first and over some others' objections (who assume I'm healthy).  I say "no" A LOT these days.  I got her legals and financials straightened out.  I still face selling her car and disposing of her apartment's contents before the 15th.

Anyone been in a similar situation?
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Caregiver for Elderly Parent and Have HIV/AIDS
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:45:26 pm »
Hiya,

Will PM you a longer message tomorrow morning.
But in short having clear boundaries is important, you can't care for someone if it burns you out and as selfish as it sounds you do need to live your own life.

Anyhow, quick post to say look after yourself and don't feel guilty about setting barriers and caring for yourself

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline MarkintheDark

Re: Caregiver for Elderly Parent and Have HIV/AIDS
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 06:11:20 pm »
Thx Jim.  In fact, there have been a few who "get it" and support my approach.  As for those who don't, I'm not quite as shy about putting on my beyotch face, if only that they'll think twice before crossing me.
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.