Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:54:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 236
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Removing Labels  (Read 10867 times)

Offline Atripla_User

Removing Labels
« on: August 14, 2007, 12:37:45 pm »
How much fun is it to throw away your used, empty pill bottles for the hiv meds ??!!

I especially like that the labels on my bottles are made of plastic, making them very hard to remove, but practice makes perfect, after a few, you learn how to peel and shred, and tear !!

What a pain, why are they made of plastic, the labels, (not really looking for an answer), just bemoaning, ooahoouuoooaaaa!!!!!

Anybody else have fun with this activity?  The things you gotta do to feel a little more private............

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Removing Labels
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:51:57 pm »
i let soggy used paper towels rest on top of the label in the sink then remove. it's not fun

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:12:55 pm »
Yes, I do that. It just makes my whole month.                                The things we have to do, right? ;)      Cristy

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 01:13:42 pm »
And, why do we remove the labels?
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:24:14 pm »
And, why do we remove the labels?
                                                                                Personally because I am paranoid that some person will see my name , address , birthdate or any personal information. I remove the labels from ALL my prescription medicine bottles, not just the HIV ones.     Cristy( who thinks she needs anther Xanax) ;D

Offline cayucosguy

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 01:26:40 pm »
I have to agree with SD... why remove the labels?  Although my pharmacy uses a code rather than my name when the labels are printed, I've just never thought about removing them before throwing them in the recycle bin.
Anyone care to explain why you do this?
Vince

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:59:17 pm »
Try a permanent marker and just blank out any information you don't want on it. I can see doing this when you donate meds, but when you trash or recycle them?

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 02:16:34 pm »
I'm glad I'm not alone on this, there is alot of information on those bottle labels, if not destroyed it could be used against you, you might as well hang a sign up on your door, also, Waste Management, the nations leading garbage processor, seperates all garbage according to weather its paper, plastic, all the different medals, etc...at their processing plants.

Granted, they probably don't care to read, but you never know, a bottle left with the label on it and containing all your personal info on it is fair game when it leaves your residence.

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:23:52 pm »
I personal don't care! I just toss them in the trash and wait till the next month comes along.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:34:19 pm »
I just toss mine in the trash and never give it a second thought. I just shread anything that has my social security number on it or my bank account numbers. But in reality if one really want's to know all they have to do is pay and can get all that information.

Dan J.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:36:22 pm »
You would be surprised the information you can find out about people... I do it everyday skip tracing debtors.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 03:40:33 pm »
I've never ever thought about peeling off the labels.  My biggest problem with pills is getting the safety seal off the ones with tiny bottle mouths.  I have the pry them open with keys half the time.   >:(

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 03:52:27 pm »
WOW, this is a hot potato, and a learning experience as well. I guess we all have our ways of dealing with the empty bottles, alot don't care, some do. I am surprised at the ones who don't care about the information on the bottles, I understand some who have been poz and out for years, who are seasoned and very confident wouldn't care, but I myself have a long way to go before I could care less.

Kudos to you who are that confident, BLESS YOU !!! and for the rest of us, maybe we will get there eventually. I doubt I will, but you never know.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 04:22:11 pm »
I always thought it was funny that my ex would be meticulous with removing and destroying his medication labels but would just throw his credit card and bank statements in the garbage.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 05:01:11 pm »
I soak the empty containers and the next morning I scape the labels off three of my Rx's . Why? Because I live in proximity to a small Ohio town and who knows who's sifting through the local county dump.........i know they scavenge for copper and stuff. It can be a surprisingly small world at times.
Just to be safe and disclose to whom I choose, that's all. Seven years on meds.
Why does anyone do this? Well, what if you have a job in such an area that certain sensitive info might cause trouble or just general hillbilly asswipe harassment? Would you take the chance that would jeopardize your job if your status were, by chance, revealed? Would you take the slightest risk of retaliation of having your pets or livestock poisoned or shot at just because someone spread the word around that you're HIV+?  NO!
OK, the odds are slim but they are out there just the same.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:14:45 pm by mjmel »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 05:07:37 pm »
It's general knowledge here in Boolaboolabongbong that Matty the Damned has teh QueerPlague. In fact most people presume that he's had it since he was 16. It never creates much of a fuss. Australians are used to poofters being HIV+.

Consequently my pill bottles (when I'm not hording them for the purposes of urine storage) get cast into the dust tin with labels unaltered.

MtD

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 05:15:31 pm »
HA!   Well, I hadn't thought about this whatsoever.  I could care less if my garbage man knows of my HIV status.

Now, I am more concerned about identity theft from credit card and bank statements.   I just toss in the cat litter and a bunch of coffee grounds and any moldy food with it and figure if they are willing to sift through that mess than go for it!
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline newone

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 05:37:28 pm »
Too much paranoia.
When you write a cheque your name, account number etc etc it is already there.
As for my bottles I just throw them away as I would with any other rubbish.
Sustiva, Atripla, Complera, Stribild, Genvoya. Odefsey, Dovato.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 05:45:12 pm »
I was trying to think what personal information might be on a prescription bottle that might be dangerous, aside from people finding out you have cooties.

I just trash mine, unless I am giving some extras to someone, then I mark out my name and address with a permanent marker.

I shred my bank statements, credit card statements and all those nasty credit card applications, but not the labels.

As for people sifting through the landfill, its illegal here. Waste Management, which operates the county landfill, doesn't separate trash here, they just bury it.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 05:59:38 pm »
My biggest problem with pills is getting the safety seal off the ones with tiny bottle mouths.

Just like the amyl then  :D

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 06:05:01 pm »
Just like the amyl then  :D

- matt

X-ACTLY
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 06:48:31 pm »
since taking up ill health as a Full Time Occupation, I have graduated to handy pre-filled dosette trays

no labels, no bottle tops, no problems  :) - Kate

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 07:35:50 pm »
I have graduated to handy pre-filled dosette trays

no labels, no bottle tops, no problems

Show boat. :P

MtD

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 09:56:34 pm »
I should have saved all my empty pill bottles....by now I could have built a house out of them.

Never even thought about trying to take the labels off.......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline cityboy

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 10:02:14 pm »
I just toss mine in the trash and never give it a second thought. I just shread anything that has my social security number on it or my bank account numbers. But in reality if one really want's to know all they have to do is pay and can get all that information.

Can you explain what you mean by pay to get the information.   Just getting a bit paranoid

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 10:56:02 pm »
I would gladly pay someone to steal my identity...the joke would be on them.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 10:57:10 pm »
Can you explain what you mean by pay to get the information.   Just getting a bit paranoid

Well if people get a hold of personal information about you such as your credit card numbers, bank statements, social security numbers and so on, they can steal your identity and run up HUGE debts in your name.

Very unpleasant and very difficult to fix. There are so many stories of people having their credit ratings, no wait, their lives even, ruined by identity theft.

MtD

Offline cityboy

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 11:39:32 pm »
You know what I was thinking...is there a place where all prescription information is stored (like with a credit bureau) that if somebody wanted to see all the things you were taking, like a prospective employer, they would be able to pay a fee and get that information from some central location.  Paranoid but, there is no privacy sometimes when its needed.

Offline Esquare

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 11:48:46 pm »
I'm paranoid about my status getting out so I take no chances. I rip off and hand shred each label after I'm done with the bottle.

Offline Bartro

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 11:54:39 pm »
I am also a lable pulller.  I never throw anything into the trash with my name on and especially anything that discloses the status of my health.
Rusty

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 12:36:09 am »
Too much paranoia.
When you write a cheque your name, account number etc etc it is already there.
As for my bottles I just throw them away as I would with any other rubbish.
                                                                                 Not a problem since I don't have enough money to open a bank account

Well if people get a hold of personal information about you such as your credit card numbers, bank statements, social security numbers and so on, they can steal your identity and run up HUGE debts in your name.

Very unpleasant and very difficult to fix. There are so many stories of people having their credit ratings, no wait, their lives even, ruined by identity theft.

MtD
                                                                               Exactly. Thank you Matty                                                        Cristy, who has learned to be paranoid with good reason.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 01:48:19 am »
Well, my pill bottles don't have any real info on them, except my name, when it was filled and what it is.  As for identity theft, the majority of cases are found to be members of YOUR OWN FAMILY, using information about you.  This whole society based on fear is a joke .... it makes us little lambs because we are terrified of everything all the time.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline edfu

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 02:40:15 am »
I peel off the labels and shred.  My crazy landlord has a habit of going through our garbage to prove we aren't following recycling regulations, because he's the one that gets the ticket from the Sanitation Dept. here in NYC.  I don't want him to know.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline md

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 03:25:02 am »
I rarely bother to shred documents when I throw them away.

Anything particularly confidential just gets ripped up into about 4 pieces and put into the same trash bag as the cat litter. I figure that if anyone is sufficiently desperate to find out information about me that they are prepared to sift through used kitty litter then they probably deserve to get it ...

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 05:25:38 am »
How come there are names on the pill bottles? Is it a customary thing across the Atlantic Ocean to personalize meds bottles? Over here in Central Europe, there are no other labels than the ones provided by the manufacturer, there's absolutely no referral to the user.

"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 05:54:04 am »
My prescription labels have

my name
my doctor's name
drug name
date of filling
the pharmacy’s phone number
and how many refills remaining on the prescription

I just pitch the empty bottles out in the trash as is. On a paranoid scale of 1-10 about someone stealing my identity, I’m at about a zero.

;)

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 07:55:14 am »

Anybody else have fun with this activity?  The things you gotta do to feel a little more private............

I also remove the labels from the bottles. There much easier to remove from the  brown plastic colored bottles, but on the white plastic med bottles they can be a little difficult to remove. I don't need anyone getting my private medical information from discarded prescription bottles. I don't care what my medical condition is, or what the prescription is for, it's nobody's business.

I usually throw them out in multiple quantities at a time. If I can't get the entire label off, I at least try to get my name and address, and the date, off the bottle. Too many snoopers going through the garbage !! I also shread all documents. I don't need to deal with the issues of identity theft.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 08:27:13 am »
You know what I was thinking...is there a place where all prescription information is stored (like with a credit bureau) that if somebody wanted to see all the things you were taking, like a prospective employer, they would be able to pay a fee and get that information from some central location.  Paranoid but, there is no privacy sometimes when its needed.
                                                                                  Interesting thought. might be possible but probably that information can only be had by the doctor's office or the pharmacy where you get your meds filled. even when you drug test, I don't think your employer can be told what medicines you are on, just if you test positive for drugs.                                                                 Cristy.
How come there are names on the pill bottles? Is it a customary thing across the Atlantic Ocean to personalize meds bottles? Over here in Central Europe, there are no other labels than the ones provided by the manufacturer, there's absolutely no referral to the user.

Yes, here in U.S. medicine bottles have my name, address, , Dr's name, medicine name, how many refills and date when filled. They are all personalized probably because there are a lot of medicines that if you don't have a prescription , you can be charged with possesion.                                                                                      Cristy

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 10:06:07 am »
All my trash we take personally to the county landfill and it gets bury that same day also like Mark said.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 10:18:36 am »
All my trash we take personally to the county landfill and it gets bury that same day also like Mark said.
                                                                                           Here  we have a community dump we take our trash to or we burn it I prefer the dump but I would take my information off the bottles even if we were still in Greensboro and had curbside service. Just me being me..    Cristy

Offline catwoman

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 10:35:57 am »
I'm not even going to pretend.  I peel my labels because I don't want anyone to know about my HIV.  I have disclosed to who I need to disclose to and that's it.  The world is very small.  You know when people talk about six degrees of separation?  Well, my world tends to be two degrees of separation.  It'll be my luck that my garbage man knows someone that knows me and that's that.  I am very guarded about my status.

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 02:20:38 pm »
when you master the art of removing the labels from your meds bottles, then and only then will you be ready to try to remove the labels off of society*...soap and water doesnt take those off, Truth does....usually requires you soaking them in it for hours* (sometimes days,months,years)
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 02:49:32 pm »
I'm not even going to pretend.  I peel my labels because I don't want anyone to know about my HIV.  I have disclosed to who I need to disclose to and that's it.  The world is very small.  You know when people talk about six degrees of separation?  Well, my world tends to be two degrees of separation.  It'll be my luck that my garbage man knows someone that knows me and that's that.  I am very guarded about my status.

Very True, the world is smaller than we think, identity theft is one thing, having people know your hiv is another, we live with it everyday, so we're used to it, but others who "just" found out may froth at the mouth with excitement and blow it all up into a mountain of BUllsh*t

I love the last statement about truth and society, very clever, as it is sad people don't want to know the truth

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 03:23:45 pm »
                                                                                Of course, that's the main reason.  Cristy   

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2007, 10:53:39 am »
I pondered the question of what to do with my growing collection of pill bottles with Too Much Information printed on the labels... Then I happened across This Guy             I find it comforting that most of lifes questions can be answered on You Tube... 

* I hereby suggest that a Blend Tec should replace Toaster ovens as an Achievement Award for Members who reach 1000 posts.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:57:21 am by Lwood »
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2007, 07:58:47 pm »
I pondered the question of what to do with my growing collection of pill bottles with Too Much Information printed on the labels... Then I happened across This Guy             I find it comforting that most of lifes questions can be answered on You Tube... 

* I hereby suggest that a Blend Tec should replace Toaster ovens as an Achievement Award for Members who reach 1000 posts.

Good to see ya there LWood !! That Blend tech guy is a hoot !! I've seen a few things that he "BLENDS" :)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.