Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:39:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Question about My Potential Risk  (Read 10621 times)

Offline Idontknowanymore

Question about My Potential Risk
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:10:32 pm »
Hey everyone! Let me start by saying that I think this site is great. I have two questions that I'd really appreciate some help with.

1. I've been in a monogamous relationship with a guy for about 6 months. I was a virgin, he had been with 3 girls. He was tested for HIV but I was informed that he was tested a couple days after he had stopped having sex with one girl, therefore did not wait until the 3 month window period ended and I'm concerned that he may have gotten a false negative. Of course I didn't think much of this before. Mid-January we started to have sex and we have always used a condom). However, in the beginning, due to our own carelessness, the condoms would slip off, usually staying on the tip of his penis but coming a good 3/4 off. I know pre-cum does present a risk for transmission but I was wondering if the fact that the condom had not slipped off completely lowers it at all. (This was vaginal intercourse).

2. I was taking a shower and since me and my roommate use the same brand of razor I think I may have mixed mine up with hers and I was wondering if that presents a risk. Her status is unknown. I used it to shave my legs and they were a little irritated from shaving the day before but I didn't cut myself. However I may have had some nicks or patches of irritated skin. I didn't examine the razor to see whether or not there was blood on it as I didn't think twice about it at the time. (This was a few months ago).

Finally, I had 2 HIV tests, one in Oct (when I was still a virgin) and one last week. I should go to get the results Tuesday. But, I'm terrified and I don't think I can bring myself to go. Any words of encouragement would help greatly. Thanks!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about My Potential Risk
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:17:32 pm »
There's no risk from sharing your roommate's razor.

As long as the head of your bf's penis was/is covered then there is not likely to be risk. But HIV is nothing to fool around about. Perhaps he's not putting them on properly or the ones he's using are not the right size.

You need to keep on using condoms together until if and when you are in a securely monogamous relationship in which both partners test negatively at 13 weeks past the most recent unprotected incident.

Your anxiety notwithstanding, from what you are reporting thus far, I am expecting you will test negative.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:41:29 pm »
Thank you very much for the quick and assuring response. I appreciate it. Have a good day!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:16:13 pm »
You're welcome.

Andy Velez

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:00:49 pm »
Sorry to bother again, I just had a quick question.

My boyfriend just got the rapid hiv test done and it came up negative. Is that accurate? I had to wait a week to get my results.

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:17:47 pm »
Rapid Test take 20 minutes or less.

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 05:38:28 pm »
but are they accurate?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:48:35 pm »
Yes they are very reliable as long as they are done at the correct time. They are FDA approved tests.

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 06:34:53 pm »
Thank you!

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:56:12 pm »
I'm sorry to be back again. As my results appt was rescheduled, I am finding out tomorrow if I have HIV. I was just wondering if there is a chance I could get a false positive. I took the oral HIV test.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:44 pm »
I'm sorry to be back again. As my results appt was rescheduled, I am finding out tomorrow if I have HIV. I was just wondering if there is a chance I could get a false positive. I took the oral HIV test.

There is no waiting on an Oral swab test those tests are Rapid tests.

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 10:34:10 pm »
Yes, but I took it through my university and they require that we come to the counseling center to get the results.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 12:22:48 am »
What are you talking about?  Rapid tests are done while you wait.

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 11:27:15 am »
I am aware of that; however, the test was not done at a hospital or a setting where they could find out the results right away. It was a free testing in my dorm and I had to schedule an appointment for the results. I'm not trying to argue or debate about when people normally get the results; I simply asked if the oral tests could give false positives as I heard it has been known to do so. Didn't mean to cause a problem.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 11:36:42 am »
Yes they can find the results in twenty minutes or less. The test show a control line and if negative no other lines and if it's positive is shows two lines one on the C line and one the T line. Those tests don't need to be done in a clinic or hospital because they don't need to be ran on an analyzer. Reason for them being called Rapid Tests.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 12:17:10 pm »
Idon't,

ANY antibody test, no matter what the method, can sometimes return FALSE positive results. That is why anyone who tests positive is always double-checked with another antibody test and a Western Blot test. You can read about the various tests in our Testing Lesson and the article on testing from the POZ portion of the website.

I understand what you're saying about your college insisting on counseling when giving results - even if the result is negative - as it presents an opportunity to discuss how to remain hiv negative as well as an opportunity to give out "where to go from here" information when the test is positive.

However, it would be far better for them to have the facilities in place to counsel right away when the test is ready. One of the most important reasons rapid tests were developed is because so many people don't bother going back for results. They're defeating the purpose of the rapid test and you might want to point that out to them. Tell 'em I said so. ;)

With everything you've reported, I fully expect you to test negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 10:19:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Ann, you were right about them defeating the purpose of rapid testing; I chickened out and rescheduled my results appointment for next week. I don't think I will be able to bring myself to go so I think I will go to a hospital instead and get retested.

Thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 04:40:01 am »
Idon't,

Change your name to Imnotsilly. Seriously. Don't be silly and go get tested again elsewhere - it's a waste of a facility's time and resources. Go pick up what I fully expect to be a negative result from your college and get on with your life. And don't forget to tell them what we discussed about the purpose of rapid testing!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Idontknowanymore

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 02:46:26 pm »
I will do that, Ann. My appointment's Tuesday and my boyfriend will be taking me so I pretty much have no choice to chicken out again. Thanks again for the advice!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 05:23:51 pm »
Idont,

You're welcome. Make sure you go to that appointment on Tuesday. If you don't, I hope your bf kicks your butt. (not literally, of course!)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.