Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:11:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 191
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: hiv doctors in Edmonton AB  (Read 4386 times)

Offline bob_89q

hiv doctors in Edmonton AB
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:02:37 am »
Hi,
Just had some good news, there is a chance that i have been successful in gaining employment in Edmonton Albtera Canada.
Can any one tell me if there any good clinics/doctors in Edmonton and also how much does it cost for Atripla medication(?) although i am toying with the idea of buy generic off the internet from india - it has some very good reviews.
Thanks All. ::)

Offline justchill

Re: hiv doctors in Edmonton AB
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:18:14 am »
good luck on getting the job. i had a offer to move there for work as well...too cold for my liking ...
Leo_ThePrince

Offline karry

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:30:32 am »
http://www.hivedmonton.com/programs_services.htm

http://www.acch.ca/

Hi
I dont live in Edmonton, but I know someone there who says the health care is great for PLWHA. I am sure you wont have any problems getting a doctor once you get here. As for affording your meds, you may have to count on your insurance (which should be covered by your employer).

Just check the links above.

Goodluck.
Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:42:08 pm »
Congratulations! Edmonton looks lovely online. I don't think I've ever been through it, though.

People in the US fight for the right to buy drugs from Canada, so it can't be too expensive up there. ;) I'm sure the doctors are top-notch in any large Canadian city.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Newguy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 06:20:42 pm »
Great news!

Edmonton is definitely cold (horrifically cold) but it is a functioning place and has a booming economy. As far as HIV care goes, you will have no problem. The University of Alberta is in Edmonton and they have excellent and world class resources for people with HIV infection. They are on the cusp of a functioning HEP C vaccine. Here is the link!http://www.news.ualberta.ca/article.aspx?id=B04932D68EF6488A8DE62A463FFA7487

When you become an Albertan resident, all HIV meds are covered by the Alberta Health Services regardless of income or job type.

Good Luck and hope you enjoy Edmonton!

Offline jackfrost

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »
Congrats Bob on the job! I'm in Edmonton, yes the winters can be cold, but the summers are nice. We have a beautiful river valley and many festivals/events during the summer.

Now on to your question, Alberta Health Care covers the cost of meds 100%. I found this link for you http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/moving-to-Alberta.html It says that people moving from outside of Canada may be able to get Alberta Health Care coverage on the first date of your arrival

Offline bob_89q

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »
Sounds like a good place to have HIV lol!
What about the blood tests etc? Are they also covered?

Offline Newguy

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 04:05:48 pm »
Sounds like a good place to have HIV lol!
What about the blood tests etc? Are they also covered?

Of course they are covered. Despite people thinking medical is free in Canada IT IS NOT! I hate this grossly false myth. The people pay for it via taxes. In fact, the medical system in Canada is privatized but the government funds it. IT IS NOT RUN BY THE GOVERNMENT! They simply provide the funds. For example regarding your question to blood work, there are companies that offer blood drawing services. The two that come in mind are CML and Lifelabs in Ontario. They are private companies that compete in the marketplace. My doctor gives me a requisite form and I go to the one I choose and they bill the government. I like CML because they are nice and compassionate when they draw my blood so I go there.

I prefer this system and although it has its flaws, it is at least fair for all the people. Of course it needs to be tweaked somewhat, perhaps add user fees here and there but generally speaking it works. Wait times can be horrific for certain procedures and emergency line ups are horrible. These need to be worked out.

I can't comment about other countries because I do not know how it works but I am under the impression there are places that deliver better services for relatively lower costs, better than we do it here in Canada.

Best

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.