Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:12:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 656
Total: 656

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My CD4 numbers bother me....  (Read 5620 times)

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
My CD4 numbers bother me....
« on: April 08, 2023, 05:31:50 am »
Hey y'all,

I know I'm going crazy over nothing but I need affirmation...
% CD4  15
ABSOLUTE CD4+ CELLS  420
ABSOLUTE LYMPHOCYTES  2809

Are these okay?  On my lab report they are highlighted in RED and I know I currently have a cold and yet these numbers freak me out.  Plus the more I read, the more my brain becomes a pile of mush.
I'm not too smart, I know this and live with it.
Are these numbers okay? Should I be worried?

thanks,
Patrick
Bubba hugs!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: My CD4 numbers bother me....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 06:16:19 am »
Hey y'all,

I know I'm going crazy over nothing but I need affirmation...
% CD4  15
ABSOLUTE CD4+ CELLS  420
ABSOLUTE LYMPHOCYTES  2809

Are these okay?  On my lab report they are highlighted in RED and I know I currently have a cold and yet these numbers freak me out.  Plus the more I read, the more my brain becomes a pile of mush.
I'm not too smart, I know this and live with it.
Are these numbers okay? Should I be worried?

thanks,
Patrick

Is your viral load still suppressed? If so, I don't see the issue.

As for the CD4s they are not a measurement of overall health, and they naturally go up and down. I would be happy to give you some of my CD4 counts as I tend to have high numbers, although they are lazy and totally useless little fuckers. ;D

Anyhow, a count of 420 is okay, and it's 15% so not too bad, stressing about them will not change anything and there isn't anything you can do to change them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 06:28:30 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 06:17:21 am »
I know I currently have a cold

Sorry to hear that and hope you feel better soon.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 11:57:59 am »
I've never been over 240, in 13 years

I had to stop thinking about it, like a personal failure that nagged

Now I accept this is what hiv is for me

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 06:51:00 pm »
Jim/Zach,

Thanks.  That helps.
I've just been a funk lately and number like that just bug me.  I'm so used to getting blood work done over the years and always being the prime candidate.  Now that I'm older, when numbers fall, gets me spooked.
I realize it's a mental and the numbers are just numbers.  My Doc says everything is good and we'll just keep an eye on things.
My young cousin told me I wasn't gay because I didn't get "dramatic" about some story he told me.  Maybe this is my subconscious trying to "make me gay".  LOL.

Thanks again guys.  A few kind words go a long way for me.

Bubba hugs!
Bubba hugs!

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 10:17:33 pm »

Ojo.             Hi sorry n shine!, I love you and it hurt me seeing you hurting. If you are UD so you are fine. You, as mist of us, get some result’s highlighted because it’s difficult to get no rmal numbers. As long you see the big UD forget the rest, as long as your doctor says the contrary…hugs and get better…mss you

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 12:10:27 pm »

Ojo.             Hi sorry n shine!, I love you and it hurt me seeing you hurting. If you are UD so you are fine. You, as mist of us, get some result’s highlighted because it’s difficult to get no rmal numbers. As long you see the big UD forget the rest, as long as your doctor says the contrary…hugs and get better…mss you

Thank you My Ray of Sunshine!!!!
I know it's just me and my need to have things properly categorized and noted that when I see something highlighted, I think bad.   I DO trust my doctor but hearing it from guys like you make me believe it.

Bubba Hugs from Texas kiddo!!  May your day be as sunshine as you!!
Bubba hugs!

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 10:48:28 pm »

ojo.               @my sunshinebubbapat…you always make my day by reading you. Forgive my typos but my vision is getting worse and even my damn cell phone, iphone13, is failing me and my warranty expired even though the display was replaced.

Anyway, if you want I can share with you my phone number so we can talk on the phone when you feel down, I might be able to bring to your soul when you need a RAY OF SUNSHINE, I’m not an expert in psychology but, having dealt with everything I’m dealing with since my dx, it might help you to get nderstand that there are lots of people who are living in worse situation than us…every day when I wake up, there is a ray of sunshine in my life, even if outside we have a blizzard, and this is thanks to you my bubba friend…love and hugs

Offline Loa111

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 05:25:35 am »
I struggle with lower CD4's too, I started with just CD4 22 5 years ago, took years to get over 300 & they just hoover around 320 approx +- a few.

Main thing is the virus is suppressed under 40. To be honest, I gave up thinking about CD4 numbers. There is nothing you or I can do except take our meds daily & put our trust in the doctors & treatment.  :)   And of course try to live a health lifestyle, eat well, rest, stay fit etc.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 05:44:28 am »
I realize it's a mental and the numbers are just numbers.  My Doc says everything is good and we'll just keep an eye on things.
During the 29 years that I've been taking HIV meds, my cd4s were always under 300 and usually closer to 225 for 24 of those years. What I learned from those two and half decades was simply this: how do I feel?

Since the cd4 count is just a quantitative measure (how many) and not a qualitative measure (how strong), this count really doesn't mean much about how healthy you really are. All it shows us, is that some people whose count falls to 200 or below tend to get sick with opportunistic diseases and that some people above that number don't. However there are people under 200 who don't get sick (I was only sick when my cd4s were under 100) and some with over 300 cd4s who are sick a lot. A lot of it is based on the genetics in your family that contribute to your immune system.

So when you're undetectable, rather than thinking about the cd4 count, think about how you "feel". Are you sick? Then take precautions to avoid other illnesses, treat the problems you have, reduce stress, and think positively. But if you're not sick, don't let a low cd4 get you down cause those bad boys must be working if you're not sick. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 05:09:41 pm »
Thanks all!  Your kind and supportive words have helped.  I kept telling myself something similar but my brain didn't want to listen.  Being up an down with depression, there were days I' wonder if I was getting sick, and I take after my momma.. I go to bed and don't get up except to potty break, or water.  I'll lay and sleep until I feel better.

Bubba hugs all around!!  Especially my Ray of Sunshine!

Bubba hugs!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.