Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:33:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 295
Total: 296

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: changes  (Read 2297 times)

Offline MarkB

changes
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:10:41 am »
Hi all.

First of all, many thanks to those of you who have been both patient and supportive of me since I joined this site - you know who you are, and you know that I am grateful.

Last December I changed my clinic to one which is much closer. To be fair, I have only been there twice, but already I feel more comfortable with the setup they have and with the way I am being treated there. And my results have been unusual too. The last test I had in my ex-clinic showed that my CD4 had dropped to 480 and the % was also dropping (to 37%). The first sets of results in my new clinic came back with a CD4 of 934 and 47% (my HIV- lady consultant tells me that her CD4 is "... a measly 600" (her words)). These are the highest results I have ever had. Now as I haven't noticeably changed my sedentary, junk-food eating, red-wine consuming, exercise-free lifestyle, this all came as rather a surprise. Why the difference, and what to make of it all?

As to other things in my life, I now have employment again and am working my butt off, so at night I drag myself back to my virgin couch and just crash; also a recent legacy means that for the first time in my life I am able to buy a place of my own, which I will be moving into in April. That thought gives me great contentment. The ferocious depression of earlier years (which may perhaps have been at least partly Atripla-related) has not magically vanished, but there is a measure of peace these days and my life is more stable and productive now. Occasionally I even have feelings curiously reminiscent of happiness.

In one sense, the ex-clinic was turbocharged and, at times, just a tad menacing. I stopped talking to them about my depression because they would mutter darkly about having to "take action". So I just pretended to be happy whenever I went. They also were on my case about changing meds, which is certainly something I myself had considered. But the new clinic, which is much kinder and more laid-back (the laughs are good), has simply said that while the choice is mine, if it ain't broke why fix it?

It is, of course, a very good question. I would imagine that all meds come with side effects of one kind or another, but while Atripla has been a toughie in some ways, I have not had any physical problems (maybe I'm just getting used to it). Plus it would appear to be doing the job. So I ask myself, "stick or twist"?

Any thoughts?

/... edited for clarity and typos
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:34:11 am by MarkB »

Offline weasel

Re: changes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:50:55 am »

Hi Mark ,
              You sound like everything is going great !

Numbers change ,   I don't know why ?

Your outlook is what really matters .   

As for changing  your  HARRT  .    My first  HIV Doctor told me never to change

unless  something went wrong !   

I am on  Truvada ,Rayatz ,Norvir ..........And several  Mental pills  :o

I feel FAB   , Most of the time .    Maybe cause My Mental pills MASK  the pain

and anguish ?     Life is good .

Wishing you the best   .

Weasel  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline MarkB

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:52:35 am »
Thanks for replying, Weasel, and all the best to you too.

:)

M

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:30 pm »
Enjoy the contentment , only you can decide on the meds but you are allowed to go for all three. Clinic,Home AND meds.

Take care
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.