Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:15:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 639
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World Aids Day 2018  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
World Aids Day 2018
« on: November 21, 2018, 07:54:09 am »
Well I know somewhat early and a lot of the US based people both here and in work are still stressing about thanksgiving, however instead of waiting for 1st of December to arrive, I decided to send my company email out about World Aids Day this morning.

Its not a lot of effort but even if it makes 1 or 2 people think for a moment or better yet test well, than its 5 mins well spent typing it up.

Jim

Hi All,

I wanted to share a few thoughts/updates since April as it will soon be World Aids Day. 

In April we had a bake sale & presentation on Living with HIV on site to raise funds for the charity HIV Ireland and awareness with regards to HIV in Ireland. We raised an amazing 416 Euro, again I truly thank you for your donations and support.

The current situation is that on World AIDS Day 2018, Ireland is facing the real prospect that new HIV diagnoses will not only top 500 for the third year in a row. To date, provisional figures for 2018 show there have been 454 new HIV diagnoses in Ireland,  an increase of 66 compared to this week last year meaning, If this trend continues in 2018, Ireland is likely to experience the highest numbers of new HIV diagnoses on record.

I also shared that on a global front about 1 to 1.2 million deaths occurred in 2016 and that from 2011-2016 HIV/AIDS that it was the leading cause of death worldwide for women aged 15-44 years. Sadly the update since than is the 2017 number published in August 2018 showed that although women constitute more than half of all people living with HIV, they are remain disproportionately impacted in terms of treatment & care support, in part this is a contributing factor to the fact that AIDS-related illnesses remains the leading cause of death for women globally of reproductive age 15-44.

This upcoming World AIDS Day I will be sharing Red Ribbons in the Dublin office and, I hope that you will join me in wearing one to show awareness and support for the 78 million people past and present affected by HIV.

Thanks for reading.
Kind regards

Jim.

PS > I found this a really interesting short 30 min movie for anyone who is interested.

December 1993, Tom Hanks, Mary Steenburgen and Denzel Washington starred in Philadelphia, the first mainstream movie to address the AIDS epidemic. At the time, fear of HIV was rampant, and effective treatment didn’t exist. Fast-forward 25 years: Much progress has been made, but so much work remains. A short YouTube movie called the The Last Mile , was published November 2018  in which Philadelphia’s three stars and screenwriter Ron Nyswaner reflect on the early years of the public health crisis and highlight some of the efforts taking place right now to meet today’s challenges
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:53:46 pm by POZ Forum Moderators »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
World Aids Day - Handmade gift from GF
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 04:30:30 pm »
For World AIDS Day I Just got a handmade gift from GF, based on an AIDSinfo illustration  :)

https://twitter.com/JimAllenDublin/status/1068230087735197696

https://t.co/sJosSqPXlG
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Re: World Aids Day 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:17:18 am »
Going to give it a home on my desk at work :)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: World Aids Day - Handmade gift from GF
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:21:50 am »
For World AIDS Day I Just got a handmade gift from GF, based on an AIDSinfo illustration  :)
that's adorable. I want an HIV too! :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Re: World Aids Day - Handmade gift from GF
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 01:52:21 pm »
that's adorable. I want an HIV too! :D

She smiled when I showed her your post.

For World Aids Day I did not do/plan anything major, just a few emails and earlier this week hanging up some leaflets at work (Causal clothing day). Nice surprise was someone at work had made cupcakes for me to handout  :)

Today I was taking to people about HIV whilst handing out leaflets regarding the benefits of knowing your status & red-ribbons. At the very least I spoke to 60 people, only had 2 bad reactions ... I think that's pretty good.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:55:40 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.