Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:35:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 492
Total: 492

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: the revised ryan white care act isnt what it appears to be  (Read 5920 times)

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
the revised ryan white care act isnt what it appears to be
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:03:01 am »
due to the legislation going on right now federal funding just in ny alone will lose almost 50 million.senator frist-ny , has gone mad.he wants this new bill to pass,but if it does cuts will be eminant.it may sound unthinkable to the mind but if it passes it will undue 25 years of work in not just nyc,but the entire state.sen.schumer,and sen.clinton,both have a different stradegy for this by recommending different legislation on the bill which would keep us from getting cuts.the aso i go to would be the hardest hit as sen frist say we dont get any of thatr money anyway,well this goes to show you the ego these politicians have,not only do they get it it helps at least 1700 families,with mental health,food for the extremely poor and needy,medications,and transpotation.if anyone knows it would be us who are effeted by the disease,do you think its ok for this much of a setback in just this state?because it will hit everyone and anyone who receives anything through this program.im on a rage of writing to all senators ,legislators,congress,and even the whit house.sure some of you may not agree with some politicians,but we have got to put party affiliation aside and keep them from taking so much of what we need here.it may prevent other programs from losing.i have recently lost one doc to cuts,i hope no more of the docs we need get to become a casualty,when so much is being wasted on war and not our lives.obviosly you know president clinton side of this issue,he wants more for us,just by his showing up in toronto it show,so i feel hes helping to write some of his wifes legislation amendments to the proposed bill.and just because you may not use this program doesnt mean your doc or aso doesnt get some of their funding from it.read carefully about this issue and write your arm tired it may save your own lives.thanks,take care :(

Offline Eldon

Re: the revised ryan white care act isnt what it appears to be
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:31:31 am »
Hello Alive2, it is Eldon.

Indeed we all need to take the initiative to write to our congress about these changes that are taking place. Sonomabeach has some beautifully drafted letter(s) for you to send to congress. Please DO get in touch with every political party involved and VOICE your opinions.

As with this issue, there are so many other domestic issues that need to be addressed by congress. I urge you to take action on this. Also, when it is election time, please DO vote for the respective parties to be in the White House.

Jack, DO what you can DO and DO not go nuts over this.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline alive2

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 12:38:47 am »
Hello Alive2, it is Eldon.

Indeed we all need to take the initiative to write to our congress about these changes that are taking place. Sonomabeach has some beautifully drafted letter(s) for you to send to congress. Please DO get in touch with every political party involved and VOICE your opinions.

As with this issue, there are so many other domestic issues that need to be addressed by congress. I urge you to take action on this. Also, when it is election time, please DO vote for the respective parties to be in the White House.

Jack, DO what you can DO and DO not go nuts over this. i understand your point very well,this is a very impotant thing happening to this system,it shouldnt either.i do feel like slowly the government isnt doing enough to help us at home versus overseas where the drugs we send arent being used,therefor going to waste.i propose we get the meds before the countries who have no idea what they are doing in their own systems(south africa)thanks for your opinion,i appreciate it,one way or the other i welcome all opinions.thanks take care

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:25:17 am »
What is the alternative legislation being promoted by Clinton and Shumer?  It seems like this is just pitting states against each other, because isn't the government trying to redistribute funds from wealthy states to the more poorer states, based on HIV growth rates?

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:50:26 am »
Hey guys,

Yes, this is a serious situation. To answer your question Cliff, the problem is, in redistributing the funding to those states with emerging HIV issues, they are depleting money typically allocated to states already dealing with the large HIV populations such as New York and California.

In other words, they didn't increase funding, they just took from Peter to pay Paul With Ryan White funding remaining flat for a number of years now, that means that critical services in some of these aforementioned hard-hit states could be at jeopardy.

Below is a sample letter sent to me by the New Mexico People Living with AIDS. It is a letter to be sent to your lawmakers.

"This week, the House of Representatives and the Senate will
consider the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Modernization Act, a bill
to reauthorize the Ryan White CARE Act. Contact your Senators and
Member of Congress and tell them to adequately fund this life-saving
HIV/AIDS program and reauthorize it without any anti-gay
discriminatory provisions."

( EXAMPLE OF LETTER SENT TO DECISION MAKER )

Subject: Reauthorize and Adequately Fund the Ryan White CARE Act

Dear ( Decision Maker ),

This week, the Senate and House of Representatives will consider the
Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Modernization Act, a bill to
reauthorize the Ryan White CARE Act. The program provides critical
care and treatment to over half a million low-income Americans with
HIV and AIDS.

First passed in 1990, the CARE Act has enjoyed wide bipartisan
support from Congress and the Administration. It is the largest
source of Federal funding devoted exclusively to the treatment and
care of people living with HIV and AIDS. The program's current
authorization expired on September 30, 2005. Reauthorization of this
vital program is essential for it to continue meeting the needs of
more than one million Americans living with HIV/AIDS.

However, I am deeply concerned about the inadequate funding
authorizations in the bill and the failure of Congress to
appropriate sufficient funds to this vital program. Years of mostly
level funding for the program have created crisis in many states
where the incidence of HIV is climbing, and communities try to serve
more people with the same amount of money.

While communities experiencing these emerging epidemics deserve more
funding to confront their rising caseloads, this should not result
in deep cuts for other communities who also depend on this vital
program. Congress must increase funding for the CARE Act so that no
community's system of care is destabilized.

(Edit Letter Below)

I also urge Congress to reauthorize the CARE Act with no anti-gay or
anti-HIV riders. Simply put, this program is too important for
divisive political tactics.
In this 25th year of the AIDS epidemic in the United States,
HIV/AIDS remains a national crisis, particularly among communities
of color. I urge you and your colleages to redouble your efforts to
confront the epidemic by reauthorizing and adequately funding the
Ryan White CARE Act.

Sincerely,
Your Name
Address
City, State

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 10:05:22 am »
One factor here that few people know about.  When monies are alotted to the associated EMA's, it is based on  reported cases.  Many States like New York and California report only "AIDS" cases and not the total HIV population.  This skews the appropriation of fundng.  Here in Missouri, we report ALL HIV cases.  Not just AIDS.  This is a major screw up by those ASO's.  It has been discovered, but unfortunately it may take some time for these states to adjust their numbers and provide a true accounting.

The funding for the associated EMA's here in Missouri, it seems will actually go up.  If writing a letter to your local congressmen, it might help to mention this.

Offline libvet

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 10:13:46 am »
That just sucks.

Expecting real assistance from this republican congress, is like expecting the sun to rise over the western horizon.   Despite all their claims of being compassionate and caring, the bottom line is that they see people with HIV as undeserving of help.  They will say there isn't enough money in the budget and hide behind that excuse, but there always seems to be enough money for another tax break to the richest Americans and enough tax revenue to build a "bridge to nowhere" or a base that is bigger than the Vatican in Iraq.  And yes, it pisses me off.

The other thing that pisses me off is the fact they set aside 700 million to fight HIV in Africa, but people right here in the US are sitting on waiting lists to get medications.   I don't mean to sound callous and I realize we could do both if our priorities were straight as a country, but if a choice has to be made, US tax dollars set aside for HIV assistance should go to US citizens who need help first.

I'll definitely be contacting my representatives.

Offline alive2

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 02:05:46 pm »
What is the alternative legislation being promoted by Clinton and Shumer?  It seems like this is just pitting states against each other, because isn't the government trying to redistribute funds from wealthy states to the more poorer states, based on HIV growth rates?
thats what the general consenceus is,but if that were true,then why in the world would nyc,be losing and the aso im in get nothing when its going to affect everyone in it?clinton and schumer are proposing to keep things as they are and redistribute more money to where the growth in the numbers are,then noone will lose and everywhere it is needed isnt overlooked,it more than likely will mean a crap load of grant writing but its better than losing whatever they are going to give.and 50 million could help alot of people who need it,and to just cut it is wrong,and under frists plan thats what he want to do cut it all together,to where it will be a destruction to many lives not just us but the healthcare workers as well.

Offline David84

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 02:38:52 pm »
I sent personal letters to all in my state last week, Bush & Cheny too. Thought you might like to read the response dated 9/18. Keep the letters flying... David

Thank you for contacting me about AIDS funding. Your views are important to me.

I completely agree with you on the importance of appropriately funding drugs and treatment for people living with AIDS. I am concerned that the Bush Administration has under-funded essential services for people living with HIV and AIDS. Since 2001, the domestic HIV funding portfolio has shrunk by 2.5% while the number of new AIDS cases has grown 7.6%. Those living with HIV and AIDS are also seriously endangered by the Republican budget resolution, which calls for $10 billion in cuts in the Medicaid program, the health insurance of last resort for people with AIDS. I actively opposed these hurtful cuts when they came before the House of Representatives earlier this year.

In addition to providing adequate resources to the people who live with HIV and AIDS, Congress also has an obligation to fund HIV/AIDS research to work towards a cure for this disease. It is disturbing that the Bush Administration, along with the Congressional leadership, has failed to provide the National Institutes of Health (NIH) with enough funding to keep up with inflation. This past year, Congress actually cut NIH's appropriation for the first time since 1970. When overall funding for NIH is inadequate, there is less money available for each of its programs, which hurts essential medical research. I strongly opposed these reductions. Please be assured I will continue to fight for research and funding for HIV and AIDS.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. Please stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Sander M. Levin

Member of Congress

Offline Eldon

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 11:07:59 pm »
Please DO write to congress or your senator and let your VOICE be heard!

Offline alive2

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 01:17:14 am »
thank you to all who have read and are making responces to the appropriate people in office,as its imperitive we dont cave into the lawmakers unknowingly doing some harmfull things to the very citizens its sworn to help protect,and as i see it protection under the law means even if they have to amend or create new laws its their duty to listen,thanks again its for all our benifit,take care everyone

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 07:53:53 am »
What John said regarding reporting is very true. Many states,  Missouri and New Mexico included, report all cases, both HIV and AIDS.

There was some controversy regarding this not too many months back, because folks in states where HIV cases aren't reported had reservations about their names being reported to the government.

New Mexico has reported all cases for years now. I haven't heard of their being a problem because of this, but it does matter when the money is divvied up.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 11:04:25 pm »
Hello Mark,

With a pandemic such as this, I DO agree that all cases should be reported to the government.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 08:38:25 pm »
House Passes Legislation To Reauthorize Ryan White CARE Act
[Sep 29, 2006]

The House on Thursday voted 325-98 to approve a bill (HR 6143) that would reauthorize the Ryan White CARE Act for the next five years, CQ Today reports. The bill -- which is sponsored by Rep. Mary Bono (R-Calif.) -- would authorize funding increases of 3.7% annually from 2008 through 2011, according to CQ Today. The government will allocate about $2 billion for CARE Act programs in fiscal year 2006, CQ Today reports. The bill would change CARE Act funding formulas so that rural areas experiencing increasing numbers of HIV/AIDS cases receive increased funding amounts, which would decrease funding allocated to urban areas, according to CQ Today. Bono's bill also would require that 75% of CARE Act funds be used for "core medical services," while remaining funds would be allocated for care-related services (Wayne, CQ Today, 9/28). The Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions and the House Committee on Energy and Commerce earlier this year voted to approve similar versions of legislation that would reauthorize the CARE Act and change how the grant money is distributed to provide funds to areas with increasing numbers of HIV-positive people. Some legislators from states with large urban areas -- including California, New Jersey and New York -- have opposed the bills, saying they could harm HIV/AIDS programs in areas with higher HIV prevalence (Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, 9/27). Some Democrats from New York state and New Jersey spoke in opposition to the bill the House approved on Thursday. "There's no question other states have mounting epidemics and absolutely are entitled to increased Ryan White funding," Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) said, adding, "A good bill would make sure there was adequate funds to meet every state's needs." House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) opposed the bill, saying in a statement that it has a "number of good provisions" but does not fully "mee[t] the needs of people living with AIDS" (CQ Today, 9/28). Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas), chair of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, said, "The HIV/AIDS epidemic is moving. This is a very fair compromise. [The bill] begins to treat all states on an equal footing" (Werner, AP/Pioneer Times-Journal, 9/28). He added that some states could lose funding under Bush administration budget plans for FY 2007 if Congress does not reauthorize the CARE Act before it recesses next week.

http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_hiv.cfm#40117

Offline Eldon

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 08:02:07 pm »
Daily HIV/AIDS Report- October 02, 2006

Politics and Policy | Congress Adjourns Without Approving Ryan White CARE Act Reauthorization

http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_index.cfm?DR_ID=40133

Offline alive2

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 01:08:08 am »
I sent personal letters to all in my state last week, Bush & Cheny too. Thought you might like to read the response dated 9/18. Keep the letters flying... David

Thank you for contacting me about AIDS funding. Your views are important to me.

I completely agree with you on the importance of appropriately funding drugs and treatment for people living with AIDS. I am concerned that the Bush Administration has under-funded essential services for people living with HIV and AIDS. Since 2001, the domestic HIV funding portfolio has shrunk by 2.5% while the number of new AIDS cases has grown 7.6%. Those living with HIV and AIDS are also seriously endangered by the Republican budget resolution, which calls for $10 billion in cuts in the Medicaid program, the health insurance of last resort for people with AIDS. I actively opposed these hurtful cuts when they came before the House of Representatives earlier this year.

thats a great response from someone in the senate,clinton and schumer of ny,have wanted to get more money and not cut anyone,add to whats needed,thats exactly the same as i was saying originally,keep on writing and hope with enough people we can make a difference so noone will have to go without.and the problem has to be fixed in political arenas that there should be no differences in affiliation when it comes to the health and rescearch of people working on these possible cures in the united states,if you take the politicing out of the equation then your working for the public as a whole not a group that likes the or that because they are in republican or democrate praty,we are all human period.thanks for the response letter its a good letter for letting us know a little bit more than whats reported,half or more is all propaganda as far as i can see it.thanks again for the responce,take care

In addition to providing adequate resources to the people who live with HIV and AIDS, Congress also has an obligation to fund HIV/AIDS research to work towards a cure for this disease. It is disturbing that the Bush Administration, along with the Congressional leadership, has failed to provide the National Institutes of Health (NIH) with enough funding to keep up with inflation. This past year, Congress actually cut NIH's appropriation for the first time since 1970. When overall funding for NIH is inadequate, there is less money available for each of its programs, which hurts essential medical research. I strongly opposed these reductions. Please be assured I will continue to fight for research and funding for HIV and AIDS.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. Please stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Sander M. Levin

Member of Congress

Offline alive2

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 01:13:33 am »
What John said regarding reporting is very true. Many states,  Missouri and New Mexico included, report all cases, both HIV and AIDS.

There was some controversy regarding this not too many months back, because folks in states where HIV cases aren't reported had reservations about their names being reported to the government.

New Mexico has reported all cases for years now. I haven't heard of their being a problem because of this, but it does matter when the money is divvied up.

HUGS,

Mark
in the cases or names being reported ,the reporting of the status here is done that way but not devuldged to antone without specific written consent,or court order,which only applies if the infected are commited of a crime of sexual nature.and every case is under a numbering system randomly so its not suposed to be easily optained,the only concern should be the computer hackers,you know they get into almost every system.thanks for giving me more to digest and read about ,take care

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.