Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:20:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773181
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 277
Total: 279

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV's weakness/soft spot...and our next target  (Read 4417 times)

Offline terpie82

HIV's weakness/soft spot...and our next target
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:52:47 am »
A recent finding from Kwong's group out of NIAID (institute out of NIH, Bethesda) reveal that HIV's glycoprotein gp120 has a conserved domain, despite other parts of the virus which are notorious for mutations, evading antibodies, and development of a successful vaccine. With this conserved domain comes a new target for vaccine development that will potentially affect all/many viruses, despite the strains/mutations. I've included a link to the article and Tim Horn's summary. All I can say is...it's about G*& damn time  :)

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v445/n7129/abs/nature05580.html
http://poz.com/articles/761_11308.shtml
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: HIV's weakness/soft spot...and our next target
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:00:43 am »
I asked the universe for good news this morning and this is what I'm given. Thank you terpie. Thank you to the LTNP's and all involved. Oh goodness, tears are in my eyes at the moment cuz I'm a hyperemotional queen this morning and just really really grateful to hear positive news

VIVE LA GOOD NEWS LOL  :D

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 11:44:52 am »
Cool. Hope it works. But I ain't opening the champagne bottle till it is available and proof that the clinical trials are successful.

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 05:28:45 pm »
Hi Minh

Thanks for letting us know about the latest findings. Thank to Tim as well. It's really great to know that some of the research that us LTNP's  are involved in is starting to show some good results. One step at a time and perhaps before too much longer there may even a be a therapeutic vaccine  ;D Then who knows ?

Cheers
Paul

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 05:40:07 pm »
Thanks for bringing this to our attention!  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 07:12:59 pm »
Wasn't this already brought up in the research section of this forum?
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 12:08:26 am »
Wasn't this already brought up in the research section of this forum?

Lika anyone goes there. This is about Living With HIV, not learning about it.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 01:16:01 am »
Hey Jonathan

It's good to have you back  ;D

I need to say something however. Those of us who are LTNP's, and there are about 5 here at the Forums,  do 'Live with'  HIV. Most of here are enrolled at the NIH study that the article in POZ magazine mentioned.

We are not, as I'm sure you know, not merely research tools (aka lab rats) but real living people who are in our way affected by HIV ( stigma, alienation, job discrimation, unable to get health insurance, etc.). I was tested positive in 1985 and have 'Lived with' HIV every day since then.

just sayin
Paul

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 03:41:44 am by OzPaul »

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 01:04:24 pm »
Hello to my 'lil' bro, Minh!

Thanks for posting this update on the NIAID research and their findings, honey. I appreciate any and all alerts to current work, and when they come from you, I certainly pay attention.

As for where the data gets posted, I could give a hoot. (Kudos to jonathan on his response).

I have always maintained that the research that is on-going will provide us with clues as time progresses, and each day I continue to hold good thoughts for and about each individual who take the time to participate in the studies, as well as for the professionals devoted to the work toward discovery.

Have a wonderful day, folks.

Zeph
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 01:47:02 pm »
thanks for the posting Minh.  I'm not sure what it means.  I read your interpretation, Tim's and the one in Nature.  They are all just a little bit too over the top for me.  I try to understand these things and I just can't  get a handle on them.  So that is why I like it when you post these in the "Living" section.  I know they're really important and they're meaningful to my well-being and I love the fact that you care so much of my (read "our") health that you print them here.

And, by the way, since you're not coming to Oakland in Oct, how about SF in September?  You can lead the Saturday Morning Seminar on how "HIV's glycoprotein gp120 has a conserved domain,".  Or any other subject of your choosing as long as you're there!!

robert

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »
Thanks for posting this Minh.  I have to say though i'm with Robert i've read the articles but they don't make a lot of sense in my head!  It's good to see some more findings coming from the LTNP research this certainly isn't the first one i've heard about.
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.