Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:27:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 463
Total: 463

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New drug added to the mix...  (Read 7598 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
New drug added to the mix...
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:01:35 am »
I have a new drug....   :-\

I have a new drug that the doctor prescribed. Just picked it up from the pharmacy. So, in addition to Viramune, Epzicom , Viread, Lipitor, I now have Meloxicam. This is the generic version of "Mobic" It is a prescription nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory ( NSAIDS) , that should hopefully treat pain and/or inflammation.

I've been really trying to hold off on starting this, but I think the time has probably come.

This is the 15mg tablet. I am supposed to ( according to the label) Take one tablet by mouth, daily for 2 weeks , then take one tablet by mouth daily, as needed for pain. Hopefully this will ease some of the arthritis and joint pain that I've been having for a while now.

Anybody else on this one? ....

Ray
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:28:33 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: New drug added to the mix...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:59:03 am »
This one is a new one to me Ray.  Sure hope it helps with the arthritis pain...I know it's tough to get going in the mornings, with everything aching, isn't it?   Hope it gives you some relief.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:16:34 am »
Hey Ray,

I am somewhat familiar with NSAIDS. I take 220 mgs of Naproxen Sodium, aka generic Aleve, twice a day myself.

So far, so good. It does seem to help. I know it can be a pain getting going or getting anything done without it.

Did your doc do the test to determine whether you are developing rheumatoid or osteo arthritis? When they did mine, all the doc said was it wasn't rheumatoid and that I had "creaky joints."

I guess that's a technical term. :D

Let us know how the Meloxicam works for you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Surviving

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:57:13 am »
i was having similar symptoms and i am sure that the meds were the cause.   it is hard to say exactly how, but my guess is the affects are caused by the effect of saturation, ie too much of the cocktail / chemicals being stored in the body.

over the course of 12 years I think i have switched cocktails four different times.   the meds all do the same thing by restricting the virus, but their side affects are different.    at first the side affects can be severe but the body becomes acclimated and adjusts.  but later the body gets tired of them and create a new side affect.  so the logic is to give up one side affect for a set of different ones, resulting by a new cocktail.

because there are so many meds available, my bet is that if you switched to a different cocktail, your body can get a break from the old cocktail.   but it is only a thought for you to share with your doctor or maybe a new one if the old one doesn't help.   

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:02:54 pm »
Hey Ray,

I've never even heard of Meloxicam.  I've been on 600mgs 3 x a day of Motrin now though for years.  I hate stiff, achey joints and I really hope this med helps you out.  Let us know how it goes.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:33:12 pm »
hi ray -
i took mobic (meloxicam) for quite a while - like you, for osteoarthritis (also disc problems)

although i eventually needed to switch to something stronger,i never had any problems with it - plus it has the advantage of just being one a day..anything which reduces the pill burden is a good thing in my book  :)

isa  nasty pain, arthritis - hhope it helps make you a bit more comfortable

kate

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:46 am »
Hey Ray,

Did your doc do the test to determine whether you are developing rheumatoid or osteo arthritis? When they did mine, all the doc said was it wasn't rheumatoid and that I had "creaky joints."

Mark

Hello Mark,

As a matter of fact, that doctor drew some additional blood for some of these tests on Tuesday, so I will get the results of those in about 10 days or so. I definitely have creaky joints !

Everyone else ---Thanks

The main problems I am having right now, are in my hands ( knuckles ) And my neck. Movement of my head to the left or right- up or down, sounds as though popcorn is popping in my neck !!  :o  Neck is pretty stiff...

Besides the feet ( neuropathy )  being a little more intense these past three months, and my skin having that periodic "Sunburn " type of feeling,  and the overall body ache, we'll see how this Meloxicam starts working.

Thanks again everyone. And Kate, thanks for the information !! Appreciate it !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Surviving

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 02:31:50 pm »
in regards to the sunburn feeling, i started taking 400 ui of vitamin D w/o the calcuim and began feeling some relief.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 05:32:46 pm »

Also received my latest blood tests results today from 7/22/08. these were a little late arriving as my doctor was away. Perhaps he was in Mexico City, but I thiought he said he was going to San Franscisco, for some sort of discussion there on Epzicom and some of the older HIV drugs ( But I could be wrong.)

Anyway : ( results from 7/22/08 ) Up and down----Up and down...   :P

CD-4 is at 327 was at 379 on 4/21/08

CD-4 percentage at 13% was at 12% on 4/21/08

Virall load <48 was less < 50 on 4/21/08

CBC, Chemical profile and Amylase are all OK

Thyroid and testosterone levels are all normal

Total cholesterol is 222 was 218 on 4/21/08

LDL (Bad Chol) is at 143 was 139 on 4/21/08

HDL ( Good chol) is at 55 was 58 on 4/21/08

Triglycerides119 was 105 on 4/21/08

And:  Still kickin and feeling like crap !

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 07:21:21 pm »
Wow, Ray.  Well.......congrats on the viral load. :-\
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

Re: New drug added to the mix, Update 10/23/08
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 07:11:15 pm »
Brief update :

An update with the Meloxicam. I am currently using it ( one pill per day) three days a week. I ususally take it just before sleeping, with no problems, and it seems to be helping a little bit.

Also, Just received my blood tests results for 10/13/08

CD4 - Went down to 323 from 327 on 7/22/08

CD4%- Went down to 12% from 13% on 7/22/08

Viral load remains < 48  :)  (something good)

CBC, CHEM PROFILE, AND AMYLASE, Are all OK.

Lipid Panel :

Total cholesterol : 255 was 222 on 7/22/08

LDL (Bad Cholesterol)--181, was 143 on 7/22/08

HDL ( good Cholesterol)-- 51  was 55 on 7/22/08

Triglycerides--113,   was 119 on 7/22/08

Not much else going on, Just hanging in there !!

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.