Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:30:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 219
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Obamacare.  (Read 136567 times)

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
Re: Obamacare.
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2013, 10:10:41 am »
The ADAP comparison falls flat.  People on ADAP waiting lists have no access to coverage at all

The .6% are not going to be disenfranchised from coverage,  they are just going to have to pay more for it.  They will all get better coverage,  in a better functioning market,  but at a higher price.  Previously, they were benefiting from the exclusion, from the market,  of people with pre-existing conditions.  A situation which,  at any time,  they could find themselves in too.   If you eliminate all the sick people from the insurance pool,  of course premiums will be lower. 

I'm not saying,  nor are the authors of this study saying,  nor have I heard anyone else say,  that the changes for these people are not important - especially to them.  But this group has received wall to wall coverage,  especially in right wing media,  aided and abetted by the lazy "main-stream" media to the exclusion of all the positives taking place.  A little proportionality would be nice.

The functioning of the insurance market has been made dramatically better for everyone.   99.4% of all the people in this country will pay the same or less.  No one with a pre-existing condition can ever be denied coverage again.  No annual caps,  no lifetime caps,  etc.  etc.

Talk about broken promises all you want.  This seems like an excellent outcome to me.

P.S.  Medicare for all !!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2013, 10:19:51 am »
Another little tidbit excerpted from the study linked above;

"under the ACA, at least 80 percent of premiums must now pay for health care. If a plan falls short of that standard, it must refund the difference to consumers. This requirement, which began in 2011, has already reduced premiums by an average of 7.5 percent for consumers in the individual market."

^^^^^that's all consumers.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2013, 10:29:02 am »
Another little tidbit excerpted from the study linked above;
it's called "medical loss ratio" ;)

some people have already been receiving refund checks from their insurance companies because of this provision.

for anyone receiving notices of insurance premium increases, just remember since the ACA already requires your insurance to maintain the medical loss ratio, your insurance is rising because of your greedy insurance company not "Obamacare". To those people, I recommend checking the marketplace for a new insurer. The free market has been and will continue to weed out some of these greedier insurance companies.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2013, 05:29:37 pm »
The ADAP comparison falls flat.  People on ADAP waiting lists have no access to coverage at all

The .6% are not going to be disenfranchised from coverage,  they are just going to have to pay more for it.  They will all get better coverage,  in a better functioning market,  but at a higher price.  Previously, they were benefiting from the exclusion, from the market,  of people with pre-existing conditions.  A situation which,  at any time,  they could find themselves in too.   If you eliminate all the sick people from the insurance pool,  of course premiums will be lower. 

I'm not saying,  nor are the authors of this study saying,  nor have I heard anyone else say,  that the changes for these people are not important - especially to them.  But this group has received wall to wall coverage,  especially in right wing media,  aided and abetted by the lazy "main-stream" media to the exclusion of all the positives taking place.  A little proportionality would be nice.

The functioning of the insurance market has been made dramatically better for everyone.   99.4% of all the people in this country will pay the same or less.  No one with a pre-existing condition can ever be denied coverage again.  No annual caps,  no lifetime caps,  etc.  etc.

Talk about broken promises all you want.  This seems like an excellent outcome to me.

P.S.  Medicare for all !!

You missed my point entirely! 

I wasn't disputing that the media has blown this bigger than it really is, but you are doing just the opposite -- minimizing the impact to hundreds of thousands (or millions) that it does impact.  Hyperbole goes both ways.
I used the ADAP example to point out that the impact to something is very large to the individuals affected. even if it is miniscule to the overall population.  You, unfortunately, tried to tie this to coverage -- I wasn't talking about coverage or insurance, per se -- I was talking about overblowing and underplaying impact in anything.

Mike

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2013, 06:03:04 pm »
I didn't miss your point,  I just disagree with it.

The comparison between ADAP wait lists and some people getting better coverage but having to pay more for it is not a valid comparison.

And you missed the point that all of those people who will be paying more will be buying into a greatly improved market situation - even for them.   They are getting something for those additional dollars.  That's virtually never reported or discussed.  There is a value add for the extra cost.  They're not being punished.

Bertrand Russell

Offline mitch777

« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2013, 06:32:01 pm »
They're not being punished.

Exactly. A major change in our standard of healthcare may cost some a bit more.... with better benefits. It comes with the territory in a similar fashion that any changes in the tax code has it's implications.

If I were better off financially and had to pay more for health insurance for the good of our society as a whole I would be happy to do so.

We need to have a more fair and equitable system and the ACA is heading in that direction regardless if .06% are forced to pay a bit more.

Are there problems that still need tweeking? Yup, but this "concern" about the .06% paying more has been hyped beyond belief. The GOP is grasping for anything they can do to prevent moving forward in a positive way. Sad.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2013, 06:36:59 pm »
Kinda what has been chapping my behind the last few weeks, is how Obama and his minions say that these plans are "junk" and most people don't realize how bad they are and that when you get sick they drop you and don't cover you. Greedy insurance companies and all.

Although for the most part they are backing off that mantra, at least a bit now.

Yes I realize there are some bad policies out there, but one size does not fit all. No one hears about the great policies.

But someone telling me that my private policy is junk and I don't realize how bad it is rather offensive to me. I've had my policy since before I was HIV+, My policy has kept me in HIV meds, and alive for 5 years. I was in the ICU for 5 days at one point.. and guess what, they covered it. Yes, Ive taken alot of premium increases over the years, and it is very expensive, but they've never dropped me, and Im alive. We have a mutually beneficial relationship, I send them money each month, they give me the ability to receive medical attention. I would be HIGHLY upset if they dropped me, I realize the letter could come any day and quite frankly have lost sleep over it a couple nights.

and yes, I am trying to look for policies in the exchange, but it's not as easy as you would think, and with things changing daily I'm kinda sitting on the sidelines for now.

I found myself Jealous of Mitchypoo and his success :P

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mitch777

« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2013, 07:07:09 pm »
Well, you unfortunately might not have as much success as I did for a variety of reasons. That's why it needs tweeking.

The fact that insurance companies can still decide who is in network seems to be your major issue and understandably so. Tweek needed. There are so many awful reasons why this may never happen. The biggest one is that insurance companies need to be profitable, hence the need for Medicare for all.

I'm still willing to bet that you will make out ok. Not ideal, but ok.

Maybe your current policy complies with the ACA. Why don't you just call your insurance company instead of losing sleep? At least you will have an answer if your policy is subject to cancelation.

I'm pulling for you Will. :)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2013, 07:38:41 pm »

Maybe your current policy complies with the ACA. Why don't you just call your insurance company instead of losing sleep? At least you will have an answer if your policy is subject to cancelation.

I'm pulling for you Will. :)

Thanks Mitch.

Mine  is substandard because I don't have Maternity coverage. I wonder If I could just add that for a small fee? I'm grandfathered since I had it prior to the ACA law, but I am still nervous of the dreaded "letter"  :P

I'm actually afraid to call them for fear it will rock the boat. LOL

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2013, 07:42:01 pm »
I guess the people that are forced to make an inconvenient but rarely a more costly switch in insurance will have to make up their own mind if that sacrifice is worth making to insure that many will have access to insurance and decent healthcare for the first time in the history of this country . That's not the way it was sold to us but what its coming down to .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2013, 07:51:26 pm »
I guess the people that are forced to make an inconvenient but rarely a more costly switch in insurance will have to make up their own mind if that sacrifice is worth making to insure that many will have access to insurance and decent healthcare for the first time in the history of this country . That's not the way it was sold to us but what its coming down to .   

I suppose I am an ass for complaining.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2013, 07:55:03 pm »
I suppose I am an ass for complaining.

Wow , that was easy LOL . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2013, 08:02:13 pm »

I'm actually afraid to call them for fear it will rock the boat. LOL

You laugh (in jest) but fear is a huge problem with our existing system when it comes to insurance companies. It shouldn't be this way.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:08:48 pm by mitch777 »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2013, 08:11:27 pm »
You laugh (in jest) but fear is a huge problem with our existing system when it comes to insurance companies. It shouldn't be this way.

I was never afraid to call them before Oct 1st.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2013, 12:10:12 am »
I didn't miss your point,  I just disagree with it.

The comparison between ADAP wait lists and some people getting better coverage but having to pay more for it is not a valid comparison.

And you missed the point that all of those people who will be paying more will be buying into a greatly improved market situation - even for them.   They are getting something for those additional dollars.  That's virtually never reported or discussed.  There is a value add for the extra cost.  They're not being punished.

No dear,  you missed my point.  My point is not really about Obamacare, it is about reading whatever your preconceived idea is into stats.  You are not reading my posts to understand, you are simply reading to reply how I am wrong and you are right.
You see, I agree (for the most part) with your Obmacare point, but not with your take on the stats.

I know probably beyond your comprehension, but I tried.  Or perhaps you simply being obtuse

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2013, 06:39:39 am »
No dear,  you missed my point.  My point is not really about Obamacare, it is about reading whatever your preconceived idea is into stats.  You are not reading my posts to understand, you are simply reading to reply how I am wrong and you are right.
You see, I agree (for the most part) with your Obmacare point, but not with your take on the stats.

I know probably beyond your comprehension, but I tried.  Or perhaps you simply being obtuse

That's a little harsh don't you think we should be able to talk about these things without using insulting language or condescending to one another . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2013, 11:16:10 am »
That's a little harsh don't you think we should be able to talk about these things without using insulting language or condescending to one another .

You are right -- I had a bad day at work yesterday (I will never get used to the prospect of firing someone).

My apologies for going a little over the edge.

M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2013, 11:25:21 am »
You are right -- I had a bad day at work yesterday (I will never get used to the prospect of firing someone).

My apologies for going a little over the edge.

M

Thanks for understanding my point of view . We all have bad days and I hope today is a better one for you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline aaware72

« Reply #218 on: November 23, 2013, 11:38:42 am »
Kinda what has been chapping my behind the last few weeks, is how Obama and his minions say that these plans are "junk" and most people don't realize how bad they are and that when you get sick they drop you and don't cover you. Greedy insurance companies and all.

Although for the most part they are backing off that mantra, at least a bit now.

Yes I realize there are some bad policies out there, but one size does not fit all. No one hears about the great policies.

But someone telling me that my private policy is junk and I don't realize how bad it is rather offensive to me. I've had my policy since before I was HIV+, My policy has kept me in HIV meds, and alive for 5 years. I was in the ICU for 5 days at one point.. and guess what, they covered it. Yes, Ive taken alot of premium increases over the years, and it is very expensive, but they've never dropped me, and Im alive. We have a mutually beneficial relationship, I send them money each month, they give me the ability to receive medical attention. I would be HIGHLY upset if they dropped me, I realize the letter could come any day and quite frankly have lost sleep over it a couple nights.

and yes, I am trying to look for policies in the exchange, but it's not as easy as you would think, and with things changing daily I'm kinda sitting on the sidelines for now.

I found myself Jealous of Mitchypoo and his success :P

Well the "Junk Policy" are the one that do not include the new required min coverage.  So all policies that do not include Maternity or Pediatric coverage are being canceled as they are considered "Junk Policies"   So now there be a part of the population that will be required to carry this coverage and may never use it.

"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2013, 11:50:49 am »
Well the "Junk Policy" are the one that do not include the new required min coverage.  So all policies that do not include Maternity or Pediatric coverage are being canceled as they are considered "Junk Policies"   So now there be a part of the population that will be required to carry this coverage and may never use it.

They are not junk , they just don't meet the minimum requirements set forth in the new law . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2013, 11:57:20 am »
Another reason to wait..

The government kicks you off your good policy tells you to go to website for better policy, then if you can get on at all your personal info may not be safe.

::)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:00:52 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline aaware72

« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2013, 12:12:29 pm »
I currently have a PCIP plan that will expire at the end of the year.  This plan was paid for by Ryan White/ADAP on my behalf. 

I will going onto a plan through Assurant Health.  Which is a policy outside the exchange here in NH. 

In NH I can only buy a policy through Anthem BC/BS and my current doctor is outside the network and they do not cover my medication(Stirbild)

It's Bronze plan with 3,500$ over all deductible, 500$ Brand RX Drugs, and 50% copay on all services. 

The Ryan White/ADAP will cover my cost of the premium and all co-payments to services related to HIV.  So basically it's a good deal for ADAP as they only pay for a 500$ on my medication for the year, however any normal heath care items I will be forced to pay for 50 percent out of pocket.  They do cover all preventive care/screening/immunization at 100%   

"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2013, 02:45:44 pm »

Paying for something and not getting anything from it happens in many areas not just with health insurance. Most of my property taxes go toward the school system. I have no children. It's all about helping our society as a whole. We HIV+ folks get MUCH more out of the system than we put in. 

I'm just grateful that the ACA plans don't charge the ridiculous premiums that I was stuck with for my entire life. It's a shame that some states don't have much competition and/or that the networks are so limited. It still needs work (or replacement with a single payer system).

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #223 on: November 24, 2013, 09:51:16 am »
I typed something then changed my mind.

Willy,
From memory,  didn't you say that you earn too much to qualify for a subsidy on the exchange?

If so then why are you going through the exchange at all?  If you are not getting Medicaid or a subsidy then you shouldn't even need to use the exchange at all.

I may have your situation confused with someone else. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:05:10 am by bmancanfly »

Bertrand Russell

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2013, 05:53:43 pm »
I typed something then changed my mind.

Willy,
From memory,  didn't you say that you earn too much to qualify for a subsidy on the exchange?

If so then why are you going through the exchange at all?  If you are not getting Medicaid or a subsidy then you shouldn't even need to use the exchange at all.

I may have your situation confused with someone else.

No subsidies for me.

I was looking to see If I could save any money, I am basically in the same situation as Mitch (he went from private policy to cheaper policy on exchange).

Currently I am "grandfathered in" on the private policy even though Obama considers it substandard. I'm also not kidding myself, I know that at some point my private policy will cease to exist and I will be forced on exchange.

-W
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:03:54 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #225 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:55 pm »
In your situation you don't need to use the exchange at all - unless you want to.  You certainly won't be forced too.

Currently, people who get Medicaid or a subsidy need to use the exchange,  but their options will be expanding soon too.

It seems to be a widely held belief that all people must use the exchange when in fact that is not the case.

Shopping on the exchange does make things easier.  Once you have found a policy you like you can choose to contact the insurance company directly.   If you have trouble setting up an account or have concerns about security,  or you're afraid that the gov't may implant a chip in your brain,    ;) don't use the website at all.

Bertrand Russell

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2013, 02:19:47 am »
No subsidies for me.

I was looking to see If I could save any money, I am basically in the same situation as Mitch (he went from private policy to cheaper policy on exchange).

Currently I am "grandfathered in" on the private policy even though Obama considers it substandard. I'm also not kidding myself, I know that at some point my private policy will cease to exist and I will be forced on exchange.

-W

Aren't you old enough to qualify for Medicare?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2013, 07:22:11 am »
Aren't you old enough to qualify for Medicare?

Don't mock Medicare -- I swear it works better than both Obamacare AND private insurance.

ps: I have been oddly uninvolved in this political discussion.

::noted::
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2013, 07:30:47 am »
I have received the best of healthcare from medicare and I agree with Miss P . Its medicaid that makes me able to make ends meet though . Without the extra help I would rack up unsustainable proscription drug copay's and medical bills . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:31 am »
I have received the best of healthcare from medicare and I agree with Miss P . Its medicaid that makes me able to make ends meet though . Without the extra help I would rack up unsustainable proscription drug copay's and medical bills . 

Yes, that too -- I have this program here called M.A.W.D. (Medical Assistance Benefits for Workers with Disabilities) which basically allows me to pay a monthly premium and have Medicaid as a secondary insurance so it picks up that pesky 20% of medical bills that Medicare doesn't pay. My premium is $98/month and my Medicare premium is $105 so I shell out $203/month for my health.

Medicare Part D pays for my prescriptions though, and I'm not even sure who pays for that premium but someone does -- I think it's the PA Dept. of Health. I have an annual deductible but I forget how much it is -- I end up paying some co-pays for the first two months of the year and then the rest of the year I pay nothing.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2013, 07:43:47 am »
I damn near lost my extra help a few months back and I almost had a friggin heart attack . Without that help my house of cards would fall in short order . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2013, 04:12:34 pm »
It galls me the Republican pundits invited onto libtard shows like Bill Maher, and the extremely cynical, completely asinine GOP talking points they blather on about the wrongs of Affordable Care.  There are problems but the GOP offers no freaking alternative.
Thank god for independent thinkers like Dan Savage. I am not even a huge fan of his but at least he can make a counter jab at the GOP pundits and he isn't even for Affordable Care, being a purist, he supports single payer.
Its deplorable, the dumbass arguments, obstructionist tactics,  destroy destroy destroy cynicism of people who we KNOW can afford health care no matter the delivery system...  Jesus Christ and they go BLANK when confronted with the comparison charts of bang for the buck, American system versus other advanced industrialised democracies... Blank. Or obfuscation.  Because freedom.  Because American exceptionalism.   It is so freaking inhumane not to mention against all the tenants of every major religious morality I can think of.  Its fucking craven.

There, I had my screed.  Sorry.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:22 pm »
In your situation you don't need to use the exchange at all - unless you want to.  You certainly won't be forced too.

WAITWUT? You're telling me I can keep my policy?  ;)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2013, 08:57:08 pm »

You love you AARP policy don't you ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2013, 03:58:39 am »

Agreed.  Like Miss P, I receive Medicaid for working disabled people, but in Indiana it's called MED Works.  I pay $107/month for it.  It pays the Medicare premiums, makes extra help possible, and picks up the 20% Medicare doesn't pay.  For my Medicare Part D plan, I pay $9/month, and the meds are all paid for.  So far.  So, I pay a total of $117/month for healthcare but the payoff is invaluable. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2013, 09:57:31 am »

I promise.   8)

Bertrand Russell

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2013, 10:56:49 am »
I have Medicare, but not Medicaid, nobody picks up my Medicare Premium of $110 a month, and get no extra-help, and cannot use Medicare Part D ( due to the donut-hole for HIV-MEDS  ::)

Noboby picks up my non-HIV-Meds of $65 a month, however BCBS of New Mexico crave-out-program picks up my HIV-Meds and the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay, at my income-level ( I'm @ 155% of FPL)   :-[

this seem like I should at least qualify for more help, but unfortunately, I don't in New Mexico  :-\

also I cannot get ACA and don't qaulify for it  ???

however, I've applied for VA-benefits, and till waiting for the approval

I hope I get them, then as a category 5    I wouldn't have any co-pays for anything and all my meds would be free of charge  :D

so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I do get some VA-benefits, they sure would help me out some  :-X

and would cover that $175 to $200 a month outta pocket expense, @ 155% of FPL  that's a lotta money  :-\

I could save for other things  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2013, 10:23:35 am »
This is an interesting chart . http://www.commonwealthfund.org/~/media/Files/Publications/In%20the%20Literature/2013/Nov/PDF_Schoen_2013_IHP_survey_chartpack_final.pd

Very interesting. Lots of myths busted. Sadly, learning from other countries doesn't seem to be our strong suit.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2013, 10:42:48 am »
Last night was the deadline to get the Obamacare website fixed.  According to the LA Times they have "improved" the site now to were it is working 90% of the time!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-healthcare-gov-obamacare-website-working-deadline-20131201,0,4426410.story#axzz2mEp3Gw6Y

I heard on the local news that our state enrolled 100,000 people so far.  I wish the media would talk about the successes more than just the failures.  I think that's a huge amount.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mitch777

« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2013, 03:18:24 pm »
Last night was the deadline to get the Obamacare website fixed.  According to the LA Times they have "improved" the site now to were it is working 90% of the time!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-healthcare-gov-obamacare-website-working-deadline-20131201,0,4426410.story#axzz2mEp3Gw6Y

I heard on the local news that our state enrolled 100,000 people so far.  I wish the media would talk about the successes more than just the failures.  I think that's a huge amount.

I'm sure Faux News will track down and report on the last person in the country to have an issue with the site and demand repeal. They will also focus on the very small minority of those who end up paying more even after the website is fixed. It's their job after all. ::)

The good news stories will FAR outweigh the bad news stories as more people sign up. I think Obamacare is here to stay for years to come. Next: A single payer system. Too optimistic? 

Offline mecch

« Reply #241 on: December 02, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »
Time to roll out the story, nationally, broadly, that many of the state exchanges are doing great?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #242 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:35 pm »
Very interesting. Lots of myths busted. Sadly, learning from other countries doesn't seem to be our strong suit.
Er. Socialism! Marxism! Because, Freedom!
Hillary learned all these lessons first year of her hubby's Presidency. She was laughed if not ramrodded off the Hill.  If I remember, she presented a model modified on the Swiss system. Cause its still pretty capitalist.  Regulated free market, you might say.  All the companies are still private here. Everybody must buy.  Every company must offer a basic, pretty comprehensive policy.  Noone can be refused a basic policy.  Very poor get subsidies to pay their premiums.   It's holding, but who knows what the future will bring...   

Offline mitch777

« Reply #243 on: December 02, 2013, 07:20:39 pm »
Er. Socialism! Marxism! Because, Freedom!
Hillary learned all these lessons first year of her hubby's Presidency. She was laughed if not ramrodded off the Hill.  If I remember, she presented a model modified on the Swiss system. Cause its still pretty capitalist.  Regulated free market, you might say.  All the companies are still private here. Everybody must buy.  Every company must offer a basic, pretty comprehensive policy.  Noone can be refused a basic policy.  Very poor get subsidies to pay their premiums.   It's holding, but who knows what the future will bring...
So, is what you are saying is that the Swiss healthcare model is potentially failing?

Offline mecch

« Reply #244 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:23 pm »
I don't know enough about it to say its failing or not. Insurance companies do occasionally belly up here. But there are lots of companies so maybe its bad management.  My guess is the day the present system becomes unreliable, the Federal government will fund another solution. 
The luxury of rich, functioning  European states... I think we don't have the military sink hole. 
I was just reading about the Metro North derailment. Many people griping about the poor state of American public transport, not to mention roads and bridges, etc. Comparing to some European utopia.
Yet I have heard Germany also faces a big burden because of delayed infrastructure investment.  Yeah, its better here, but these sorts of things - the so-called socialist benefits of advanced and mostly capitalist economies - they take constant constant tweaking and constant reinvestment...
Reunification cost a shit load. Then during the new crisis, the Germans have preached austerity and thus, yeah, better infrastructure was in place but overall, there are major challenges going forward.
Now Britain, trying to sort out how to pay for its top flight university system...
The key to me is that a country makes its social welfare commitments and does what is necessary to stick to them... 
Bush Jr. toured Europe, before the American financial collapse, on a propaganda tour telling heads of states the only model was the American model, and the social welfare states were unsustainable.   Then he delivered his epic catastrophe of the pure capitalist formula. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2013, 07:59:48 pm »
My students are getting 45k a year educations for about 1k a year out of their pockets or subsidies. (many do get subsidies but not all.)  But we are all paying for that in taxes.  The US states shouldn't have let their state university systems become unaffordable, in my opinion. 
Etc etc etc.
What can you cut, to pay for the things you consider essential, or necessary. Who (and what, since IMO corporations are not people) can you tax, to get the revenues necessary.  Not easy, right?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2013, 08:18:55 pm »
I don't know enough about it to say its failing or not. Insurance companies do occasionally belly up here. But there are lots of companies so maybe its bad management.  My guess is the day the present system becomes unreliable, the Federal government will fund another solution. 
The luxury of rich, functioning  European states... I think we don't have the military sink hole. 
I was just reading about the Metro North derailment. Many people griping about the poor state of American public transport, not to mention roads and bridges, etc. Comparing to some European utopia.
Yet I have heard Germany also faces a big burden because of delayed infrastructure investment.  Yeah, its better here, but these sorts of things - the so-called socialist benefits of advanced and mostly capitalist economies - they take constant constant tweaking and constant reinvestment...
Reunification cost a shit load. Then during the new crisis, the Germans have preached austerity and thus, yeah, better infrastructure was in place but overall, there are major challenges going forward.
Now Britain, trying to sort out how to pay for its top flight university system...
The key to me is that a country makes its social welfare commitments and does what is necessary to stick to them... 
Bush Jr. toured Europe, before the American financial collapse, on a propaganda tour telling heads of states the only model was the American model, and the social welfare states were unsustainable.   Then he delivered his epic catastrophe of the pure capitalist formula. 

And my simple question begets a long and wonderful answer. I understood all of that but thank you for connecting the dots.

Capitalism has it's benefits and faults. So does any social path forward.... or not.

The bottom line is that we "Americans" (sorry, we "United States of America" folks) are pathetic when it comes to learning from other countries as far as what truly works when it comes to healthcare.

The stats speak for themselves. (see above y'all)

Compassion seems to be lacking here as well as the pure numbers of fiscal responsibility.

They CAN go hand in hand. The Republican's amongst us just DO NOT get it or worse yet are more concerned with their own "careers" and making the corporations who are "people too" their priority over us lowly citizens.

.....just another long reply to the never ending saga of the death panels we are all facing according to the idiots in power today.

*breathe in, breathe out* lol. :)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2013, 09:03:57 pm »
Compassion seems to be lacking here as well as the pure numbers of fiscal responsibility.

They CAN go hand in hand. The Republican's amongst us just DO NOT get it or worse yet are more concerned with their own "careers" and making the corporations who are "people too" their priority over us lowly citizens.

Well -- that trait does not belong to Republicans alone.  Everyone knows that SS and Medicare need reforming, but the Democrats don't want to talk about it for it will impact their "careers" -- the AARP will be after them.  The problem rests not really with the pols -- it rests with us (yes, gerrymandering makes it far more difficult for us to remove the bad ones, but......... it can and has happened)

As for healthcare -- I think Obamacare is an absolutely necessary, but not anyway ideal, first step to where we must get -- Single Payer system.  It will take baby steps, unfortunately.  From what I am reading (and seeing first hand) is that Obamacare is going to give large companies an avenue to slowly exit the health insurance game -- that is how, I hope, we navigate from here to there.  There will be winners and losers along the way and I suspect the "groups" will change in each category over time, but we can't do it in a single leap, so we'll all have to grin and bear it.  My hope is that empathy and compassion is shown from both sides of the political spectrum.  Without that - that us vs. them only intensifies as "impacts" happen.  Neither side is pure evil, neither side is pure altruism -- both have good and not so good ideas.

yes -- I continue to be the "fence sitting" moderate in the middle.   ;) :D

M

Offline mitch777

« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2013, 09:19:12 pm »
Well -- that trait does not belong to Republicans alone.  Everyone knows that SS and Medicare need reforming, but the Democrats don't want to talk about it for it will impact their "careers" -- the AARP will be after them.  The problem rests not really with the pols -- it rests with us (yes, gerrymandering makes it far more difficult for us to remove the bad ones, but......... it can and has happened)

As for healthcare -- I think Obamacare is an absolutely necessary, but not anyway ideal, first step to where we must get -- Single Payer system.  It will take baby steps, unfortunately.  From what I am reading (and seeing first hand) is that Obamacare is going to give large companies an avenue to slowly exit the health insurance game -- that is how, I hope, we navigate from here to there.  There will be winners and losers along the way and I suspect the "groups" will change in each category over time, but we can't do it in a single leap, so we'll all have to grin and bear it.  My hope is that empathy and compassion is shown from both sides of the political spectrum.  Without that - that us vs. them only intensifies as "impacts" happen.  Neither side is pure evil, neither side is pure altruism -- both have good and not so good ideas.

yes -- I continue to be the "fence sitting" moderate in the middle.   ;) :D

M
Hmm... I really hate getting into these discussions with you Mike. Your "moderate in the middle" stance is not moderate or in the middle as much as you think it is. You yourself are saying that a single payer system is what is best. Which political party is working toward that goal? It is certainly NOT the Republican party in this day.

Give me a list of ANY Republican in office. Is it 1 or 10? give me a break!

Yes Dems get influenced by AARP. So what. better than the greed factory of the healthcare industry.

Empathy and compassion from the Republicans? LOL. LOL.
Show me.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2013, 10:16:39 pm »
Hmm... I really hate getting into these discussions with you Mike. Your "moderate in the middle" stance is not moderate or in the middle as much as you think it is. You yourself are saying that a single payer system is what is best. Which political party is working toward that goal? It is certainly NOT the Republican party in this day.

Give me a list of ANY Republican in office. Is it 1 or 10? give me a break!

Yes Dems get influenced by AARP. So what. better than the greed factory of the healthcare industry.

Empathy and compassion from the Republicans? LOL. LOL.
Show me.

You see -- you read only what you wanted to read in my post -- just enough to refute.  Again, as I've said many times to many folks, this is why our political situation is what it is today.
When I referred to "empathy and compassion" from both sides -- I wasn't speaking only of politicians, I was speaking of all of us.  Also -- people can have stupid ideas and yet be compassionate. 
Additionally -- why is the AARP power "better" than the healthcare industry??  Do you really think the powers at the AARP care about their members more than they do their own position and LARGE SALARIES?

You take my pointing out the hypocrisy of the left to mean that I support the right, when I support NEITHER.  And my thought process in the political realm may be in the minority on this forum but it is where a large chunk of Americans fall.

As for "who is working for a single payer system" -- the answer is simple -- almost no one.  If the Dems really wanted it -- we would have had it when they controlled Congress with 60 Senators back in 2009.  Ah yes, lobbyists do tend to throw money at the party in power and money does talk to both parties.

What I find more unfortunate is that you and I are far closer to each other on many topics than I am to the far right, but you seem only to focus on how we are different.  Even when we agree you use it as a way to denigrate my position.  Yes -- I think a Single Payer System is what we need, but there is not enough support on either side for it to happen. 
The one place we consistently differ is that I don't view the Republicans, in general, as evil -- though I haven't voted for one since I left New England.  I respect your position, but I just can't always let one-sided posts go by without giving my thoughts.  BTW -  William Weld, Claudine Schneider -- two Repubs with empathy and compassion who have gotten my votes in the past.  Even Christie has his moments -- like when he put politics on the back burner after Sandy and actually talked and thanked Obama for helping the victims in his state.  Not that I am a big Christie fan -- but he has shown empathy and compassion and deserves to get credit for it.  Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins also come to mind, I'm sure with time I can come up with more.

Anyway -- I'm sorry you don't like our political discussions -- I always find them interesting, I mean if people with differing views don't even like to discuss them, we'll never get anywhere, because I'm not always right -- but I'm not always wrong either.

Hugs,
Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.