Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:21:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 623
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What happens when medication adherence is off?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline magnoman

What happens when medication adherence is off?
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:16:03 pm »
My partner takes one pill every morning and two every evening. In theory they are meant to be at the same time, I believe.

He has been doing this for around three years... Periodically he might miss a dose (generally no more often than once a month, although I believe this month he has missed the morning pill twice) and the timing of his pills might vary by a couple of hours, especially the morning one.

I want to be a supportive partner without being a complete nag. So was wondering is this something I should be making more of a thing about, or is it not that big a deal so long as he misses very few doses.

Offline AusShep

Re: What happens when medication adherence is off?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 12:13:17 am »
The timing of a few hours doesn't matter at all if he's generally adherent and undetectable. 

While missing a dose once a month is probably ok, he should try to do better. 

My partner and I have pill organizers that we leave by the sink so we can both check on each other.  Setting a phone alarm is another way.  Try to find a way to make it part of your routines without nagging. 

My current meds are ok to take 12 hours late for a missed dose, so the couple of times I've had an oh shit, I forgot to take my meds in the morning moment over the last few years, I just pop them in the evening and get back on schedule the next morning.

Some studies have suggested that low level resistance can build up over time, so even if he doesn't have immediate treatment failure, it could be a contributing factor later.  There was no proof of this, BTW, it was conjecture by the authors due to increased numbers of failures at all levels of adherence. 

Those with 99% adherence had more failures than those with 100%.  Those with 95% had more failures than 99%, etc.  so even though missing a dose a month isn't the end of the world, missing just one every 3 months is better, never missing them is even better.   I think the general consensus here is to have at least 95% adherence; so no more than one missed dose every 3 weeks.

Offline magnoman

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 02:52:02 am »
Thanks. That is what I hoped. The few times I do remind him about his pills tends to annoy him and his adherence is generally good.  Just occasionally he will avoid taking them if he has a heavy drinking night which is only 2 or 3 times a year.

Appreciate the reply.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:13:12 pm »
It will depend on the medications. Some of the medications have longer half-lives in the body than others.

One missed dose per month, that would be 718 dosings per year out of 730, better than 98% compliance. Depending on the medications, a lot of ID doctors consider anything above 85% to be a safe level of compliance but clearly the higher the number the better.

Don't sweat it about a couple of hours one way or the other.

My poz ex-partner was cool with me asking if he had taken his pills once per occasion only, but to ask a second time or to tell him to take his pills was a no-no. I have the same boundaries.

You need to ask your partner's limits around what is welcome and what is unwelcome, don't ask us.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 06:39:35 pm »
As a little post-script...
The deal with my ex regarding asking about, not nagging about medications was explicitly negotiated. The boundaries around what is welcome and unwelcome were not assumed.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 06:56:51 pm »

I want to be a supportive partner without being a complete nag. So was wondering is this something I should be making more of a thing about, or is it not that big a deal so long as he misses very few doses.

Relationships are so different that it's difficult to respond.  He's the one you should be asking and listening to.  His feelings and opinions matter more than ours.  That being said, you did ask here.  :)

I'm such a smartass, that I'd answer then ask him if he brushed and flossed yet.  It's equally important and of course I already know the answer but could you imagine a partner asking you that repeatedly?
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline magnoman

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 12:14:37 am »
Many thanks for your insights.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.