Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:10:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773469
  • Total Topics: 66369
  • Online Today: 350
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 30 years positive  (Read 6247 times)

Offline Pozitvebutterfly33

30 years positive
« on: April 12, 2017, 01:08:42 pm »
Hello All

I am new to the site. I am 30 years old and have been living with HIV since birth.

I am just starting to gain control of my life and I want to join the workforce, but I am scared about many things

Insurance, having an employer be accepting, making enough money to survive and also get my medication...does anyone have any advice for me...all advice I would GREATLY appreciate  :D

Offline em

Re: 30 years positive
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:21:12 pm »
sorry if this sounds like a school counselor answer but how did you do in school ?

any interests you found so far in this life? Thirty years old. If thirty years old then HIV must have hit you hard at that young age. without any treatment available when you were young. I guess school was not on your main priority staying alive was instead. getting through another day was more of a priority. 

As far as jobs go as long as you make the boss money they do not care about anything else, at least that has been my experience. That resulted in my bad attitude But on a lighter note motivational speaker might be a good choice after surviving the bug your entire life. 

Insurance, and jobs . Is there any social workers or counselors you know of. I have been out of the loop for twenty years. I myself pay everything I have to the home I live in and do all the house chores for everyone. I am an unpaid house boy   intern. Who pays to work. Even less then an intern.

at least I eat and have a roof over my head this intern (another use or definition  for the same word)  makes me healthy. health i would not have living in homeless shelter. At least this is me.

I recall getting a news letter from the college I graduated from saying HIV and AIDS in Africa was abysmal and they needed our help.

I went over to the college to find old friends I had known through the alumni office to try and do some informative out reach to the student body about HIV in this country being over looked and not paid any attention to.

They looked at the rags  I wear and called security and had me removed and said I f I came back they would have me arrested.

so there is at times I found nothing that can be done I do not want to sound to much the downer but you are not alone some of us have lost a great deal to this virus I can not imagine what you have lost in your younger life.

I hope you can glean something from this like you are not alone. there are others out there. muddling through

You must have qualified for social security at some point? Housing through a social worker for low income. I had tried both but found other avenues to get by myself .

I hope you the best

Offline em

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 01:14:05 am »
As far as work goes.

I have a high school diploma three year grad. Honorable discharge from enlisted service as an electrician nuke power operator. College degree bachelors in information system science. The best job interview I could find was as a hotel custodian assistant.  The job was mostly unclogging toilets in a large hotel.

The job market is tough for HIV or not.

Just had a brain storm for an NCIS New Orleans episode idea. Maybe I will start another thread in off topic.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 04:22:51 am »
Welcome butterfly.
You must have some amazing internal strengths that you have developed over your lifespan.

I've gone through a few ups and downs since leaving my former career due to (non- AIDS related) ill health.

I had to retrain for a completely different career path and did some serious stints of volunteering in related work roles.

I've recently started a new part-time job, but today I had an interview for a full time job that is in a dream role in a dream industry.

I wrote literally hundreds of different applications, went for dozens of interviews. I fudged a bit on explaining absences from the paid workforce.

"Caring for a family member", only a white lie. I'm the one I was caring for.
I'm a member of my own family.  :)

Welcome and  let's hear a bit more about you :)

Offline goody2feet

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:46:45 pm »
Have you tried Vocational Rehabilitation? Search for those exact words and add your state to the search as well. Like for myself I wrote Vocational Rehabilitation Oregon.

HIV is a disability. So you may be able to get help. They can assess your skills, education, experience.

In my case I am getting help with finding employment that can work with my disabilities. Like for one my appointments with doctors.

I was a Certified Nurses Assistant. Now I am seeking other kinds of work.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:54:30 pm by goody2feet »

Offline em

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:15:49 am »
butterfly

Been regretting writing so much self absorbed junk about myself here.

Tried to think how hard it must have been earlier years of childhood having to deal with HIV while there was no effective treatments way back then in the dark times twenty years ago  before protease inhibitors changed the outcome of the illness.

now so I have read HIV is not an end all anymore opportunities are out there so I have read. Myself never had rose colored glasses out look and a glossed over versions or reality protease inhibitors changed the outcome of the illness.

I hope you well in your life's  endeavors. advice on the job market personal spent the past two decades on disability waiting for the day to find a way through this myself. try to find something you enjoy and be happy. sometimes easier said than done. but trying makes it tolerable 

please pardon the lack of advice from me and I hope you find some outlet or activity that makes your life complete.

maybe others here might be able to give some words of wisdom about what might be an opportunity that will be more advantageous

there are career placement test that help define your own personal interests
social workers might be able to help find opportunities you might not have given any thought to .

How did you do with school where you under the weather in your earlier years and had difficulties keeping up with school

personally twenty years ago I was absolutely useless and could not do much do to AIDS related illnesses being born with HIV must have been hard to be a child burdened with this

You are definitely a survivor and an inspiration

all my best to you 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:45:35 am »
um, guys, this thread is getting close to a year old with no further responses from the OP.  :( Matter of fact the OP hasn't rejoined the forums since April 14, 2017, 08:39:18 AM. That's why, Goody, there was that red "warning" notice about this thread being over 90 days old when you posted.  ;)

It seems "Athena" wasn't really looking for advice from anyone as she (if she was real and not some spammer) was only at the site for a few days.

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.