Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:25:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 390
Total: 391

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Teotihuacan Pyramids  (Read 30601 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Teotihuacan Pyramids
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:57:45 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm considering putting together a tour to the Teotihuacan Pyramids on Saturday, August 16th.  I'm presuming most would be interested in this outing.

I'm torn between doing this through a tour operator or doing it on our own as a group.  After reading some reviews from travelers who have done this has part of a tour most have mentioned how they felt they did not have enough time at the pyramids.  Most tours also visit the Shrine of Guadalupe as well as artisans along the route.

What is everyone's opinion of this.  Is there someone local who wouldn't mind possibly playing tour guide for the day and leading our group?

Dennis

Offline Jody

Re: Teotihuacan Pyramids
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:57:33 pm »
Hi Dennis...The pyramids would be terrific...I don't know whether doing it on our own is better, I would have thought a tour guide would be better, but it would be nice to have alot of time...What are the logistics of doing it on our own?  Anyway I look forward to doing this.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:26:53 pm »
I haven't determined the logistics of doing this on our own yet.  I''m hoping a local will step up to the plate and offer and some insight.

Dennis

Hi Dennis...The pyramids would be terrific...I don't know whether doing it on our own is better, I would have thought a tour guide would be better, but it would be nice to have alot of time...What are the logistics of doing it on our own?  Anyway I look forward to doing this.

Jody

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:01:49 am »
Hi Dennis

I would certainly love to see the pyramids, I don't mind going on an official guided tour as long as we are not rushed along and have plenty of time to see everything..but whatever is the best and cheapest way to do it is fine by me.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline allanq

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 02:12:42 am »
I won't be attending this year's AMG, but I hope no one minds if I offer a bit of advice.

Stay away from tours that include visits to "artisans." They are usually souvenir shops whose main specialty is the hard sell. The tour operators get commissions from these establishments, so they will have you linger there at the expense of spending time at Teotihuacan itself.

Perhaps the concierge at the hotel can recommend a tour that focuses on Teotihuacan, rather than on shopping. Or you can check a guidebook to see what they recommend. One guidebook series that has always served me well is the "Eyewitness" series. They publish a compact guidebook called
"Top 10 Mexico City."  (Teotihuacan is one of the top 10.) I haven't seen the one for Mexico City, but I've used others in the series.

Allan

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 05:08:16 am »
Buenos Dias mi amigos.

Our friend Nick (Pozniceguy) just might have the answer we're looking for.

Nice wrote last week (Mexico City Planned Activities} how he had just read a good article in last Sunday's Dallas News about touring in Mexico City... "Peace of Mind in Mexico City"".  It's a great article and for $170.00 we can have "...a driver, a guide and someone to watch our backs." Now I'm assuming we can divide that up among those of us who want to go and get a pretty good deal.

According to the article, "Having your own tour guide – as opposed to being on a bus with a bunch of other people and their needs – allows you to call the shots, make plans, change them, linger over lunch and skip another church, or leave town to see the Teotihuacan pyramids.

The article reommends the following guides:

In Mexico, tourist guides are certified by the government after taking courses and exams. Three independent tour guides in Mexico City, all of whom speak English and all of whom know each other, are:

•Bernardo Ortiz Rojas, netouring@hotmail.com; 011-521-55-3248-2673 (cellular).

•Fernando Ledezma Rios, fernandoledezmarios@yahoo .com; 011-521-55-2316-6491 (cellular).

•Carlos Escalera, sklescaleraalcielo@hotmail.com; 011-521-55-2952-4922 (cellular)

Perhaps we can get an idea as to how many of us want to go and what day, then we can send an email to the guides offered above and see what they have to offer?

What do you think?

robert....

ps thanks to Nick for posting this last week.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 10:14:53 am »
Absolutely count me in on this one.  Seeing the pyramids is one of my top priorities.

I think Alan's caution about a "guided commercial" tour is something we should consider.  Hiring our own "cat herder"  ;) would likely work out the best.  (assuming the cost and transportation can be worked out)

I remember someone suggesting that if we're going to visit the pyramids we should try to avoid the weekend and also plan on going early in the day (cause the crowds will be smaller and the afternoon rains won't be an issue).  If we're going to do this on Saturday (the day after the Meet and Greet)--well getting everyone up and going early might be a problem though  (you know how the M & G goes  ::)). 

Is it worth considering maybe doing the  pyramids on Friday A.M.?  Return in the mid afternoon, rest up and get ready for the Meet & Greet?  (I know we traditionally do the Memorial Service on Friday A.M.--but I'm not sure what Jan has already planned.)

Either day is fine with me, just a random thought.

As always D thanks for all your hard work.   :-*

RAB

(Who got a little nervous reading Nick's article where it talks about pick pockets, illegal cabs, and who knows what other crime.   >:()

Offline allanq

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 02:52:17 pm »
If you're a AAA member, you can get a FREE tour book and map of Mexico. You can even order them online from the AAA website. The book has a big chapter on Mexico City.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »
With less than 2 months to go I'm not to keen on messing with the schedule.  If I remember correctly from last year, people were in the mezzanine till late every night drinking.  And last years walk, let by Allanq, had a good turnout and that was the day after the meet and greet. 

The only problem I have with trying to arrange a group tour with a guide is payment.  A private tour guide isn't going to leave his schedule open without some type of guarantee and most scheduled tours need to be booked at least 48 hours in advance. 

I have no problem going either route.  We can leave the daily schedule open, forgoing any planned activities, allowing attendees to plan their own days or we can arrange a tour to the pyramids as a groups with a private guide or scheduled tour.  However, the latter will require payment of some type in advance. 

Whatever is decided needs to be decided soon.  August will be upon us in no time.

Dennis

Absolutely count me in on this one.  Seeing the pyramids is one of my top priorities.

I think Alan's caution about a "guided commercial" tour is something we should consider.  Hiring our own "cat herder"  ;) would likely work out the best.  (assuming the cost and transportation can be worked out)

I remember someone suggesting that if we're going to visit the pyramids we should try to avoid the weekend and also plan on going early in the day (cause the crowds will be smaller and the afternoon rains won't be an issue).  If we're going to do this on Saturday (the day after the Meet and Greet)--well getting everyone up and going early might be a problem though  (you know how the M & G goes  ::)). 

Is it worth considering maybe doing the  pyramids on Friday A.M.?  Return in the mid afternoon, rest up and get ready for the Meet & Greet?  (I know we traditionally do the Memorial Service on Friday A.M.--but I'm not sure what Jan has already planned.)

Either day is fine with me, just a random thought.

As always D thanks for all your hard work.   :-*

RAB

(Who got a little nervous reading Nick's article where it talks about pick pockets, illegal cabs, and who knows what other crime.   >:()

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 11:25:22 pm »
Mini and I are up for a pyramid tour.  I think she'd get a kick out of it and I'm just the lady who's tagging along because she's too young to go by herself :P

Oh, and Rab, I'd like to personally thank you for reminding me about pick-pockets, illegal cabs, and notorious "other" crimes.  You've really set my mind at ease.  Now I need to go in the other thread and add not getting robbed, kidnapped, or becoming a statistic of "other" crimes to my list of things that need (not) happen before I can relax and have fun. ::)

Mum (who'll be arriving 14 minutes before the "American 7" and is perfectly willing to wait before moving on to the hotel.  Safety in numbers,
         right?)

edited to add: Hubby just reminded me that the lady holding the child NEVER dies in the movies. :P
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 03:15:48 am »
Hi Dennis

I will be at the hotel on the 9th, and if it will help I can organize a tour guide and put down a deposit or make a payment and sort out the money with everyone on the day of the tour..but I will need exact numbers for those who want to go, so if we can get a list going it would help.

I leave NZ on the 31st of July so I need to know a few days before then.

Hugs

Offline Basquo

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 10:01:14 am »
Santi and I will go with whatever the plan is. We're especially looking forward to this part of the trip!

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:36 am »
Thom & I echo Basquo's comment.  Count us in.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 12:21:17 pm »
I definitely want to go to the Teotihuacan Pyramids, and would prefer a jaunt without the riffraff side show of the hard sell souvenir stalls.  And it seems most would prefer to avoid this as well.  I'm perfectly willing to pony up with a deposit.

Maybe we could come up with a paypal account for the deposit if that's easiest (?) -- just an idea.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 12:40:27 pm »
Definitely put me down, it sounds too good to miss

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline fravis

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 02:19:48 pm »
dont  forget  a visit  to  XOCHIMILCO  (floating  gardens)  south  of the  city, a  visit  to  Alameda  CENTRAL(BELLAS ARTES  AND  DOWNTOWN),
  A  must  also  is  the cathedral  and  national Palace  and its  paintings,  dont  miss  a visit  to  C.U.   (ciudad  universitaria)   the university campus
 Universidad  Nacional  Autonoma de Mexico  and its 300,000   student  campus.    take  care  and  enjoy.           ;)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 11:37:53 pm »
[quote author=Robert link=topic=21465.msg274626#msg274626 The article reommends the following guides:

In Mexico, tourist guides are certified by the government after taking courses and exams. Three independent tour guides in Mexico City, all of whom speak English and all of whom know each other, are:

•Bernardo Ortiz Rojas, netouring@hotmail.com; 011-521-55-3248-2673 (cellular).

•Fernando Ledezma Rios, fernandoledezmarios@yahoo .com; 011-521-55-2316-6491 (cellular).

•Carlos Escalera, sklescaleraalcielo@hotmail.com; 011-521-55-2952-4922 (cellular)

Perhaps we can get an idea as to how many of us want to go and what day, then we can send an email to the guides offered above and see what they have to offer?

What do you think?

robert....

ps thanks to Nick for posting this last week.

I think this is a good idea Robert but as you said we need to know how many want to go on the tour..once we know for sure then we can get in touch with the tour guides and get the ball rollingon this one, we don't have a lot of time left.

I will be at the hotel on the 9th, and if it will help I can organize a tour guide and put down a deposit or make a payment and sort out the money with everyone on the day of the tour..but I will need exact numbers for those who want to go, so if we can get a list going it would help.

It was pointed out to me that this may be leaving it too late to book a tour from the hotel, we don't want to get there only to find the tour guides are all booked up...but if I can still help out in anyway please let me know.

Hugs
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:39:42 pm by anniebc »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 08:35:04 am »
I've been to these pyramids, and it's well worth the trip.  I went with a friend I was visiting in Mexico City.  We took a public bus for less than $1 each way I think.  There's a public bus that leaves from one of the main bus stations in MC, and goes directly to the pyramids.  And it runs regularly, so that when we were done visiting them at our own pace, we just waited for the next bus back (and didn't wait long).  I remember that it was a comfortable bus as well -- takes about 1/2 hour to get there I think.

Peter

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 10:36:51 am »
Can't beat $1!

Offline minismom

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 12:05:08 pm »
I was talking to Hubby about it and he said that taking a bus there may be the best way to go.  Usually at such "touristy" places, there are guides there that you can pay to explain what you're looking at, give you the history, ect.  There are always plenty of guides around so finding one shouldn't be hard.  He also said that all you usually have to do, if we didn't want to hire an onsite guide, is ask someone standing around what the signs say, if no one in the group speaks Spanish. 

Does anyone know if MC observes siesta?  I know that in Honduras everything, except certain restaurants, shut down from 12 - 3.  Not even the buses or taxis run.  The street markets shut down and everyone goes home or to the park (yeah, the one with the alligators in it).  I just don't want us to be stranded somewhere during siesta - could make for a very long walk.  Just a thought.

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Basquo

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 02:09:10 pm »
Nothing I've read says anything about siesta. We'll have at least 1.5 Spanish speakers with us (Santi is fluent, me not so but I read okay.)

Here's a bunch of concise info on the pyramids:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Teotihuacan

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 07:04:48 pm »
I will also be willing to accompany the group on an expedition to the pyramids.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Curtis

• Smooth seas do not make skillfull sailors
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 06:19:43 pm »
Save me a spot!  Seeing Jan for the third time in a country neither one of us lives in, traveling with my bud Creighton, catching up with the nice folks I met in California; those are the main three for me.  Seeing the ruins is what I would have gone to Mexico City on my own one day for anyway. 

Curtis

(Terribly off topic.  I don't know the rules here and will desist.  It starts off ridiculous and by the end I was so touched!)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY
Probable infection: 1993
Tested poz: 10/4/1995

Much time passes.....

Worst labs in 2009: CD4 20, CD4% 3, VL 9000.
10/1/09: Ziagen, Icentress, Intelence.
11/30/09: CD4 42, CD4% 6, VL undetectable.

Hooray! :-)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 08:36:53 pm »
I will be visiting the pyramids too......they are so spectacular and awesome. The group will be awesome too. Mini will be awesome.  :)

You know......I just can't imagine going all the way to Mexico City to spend chill time with AMG group and miss the one spectacular group outing. I believe that is a predictable turnout so why can't we assume all will be attending? We AMG attendees should book a tour for 20 confirmed (or whatever last head count was) .......with space for 5 or 6 who may join us last minute.

Dennis? Jan?  Need us to help with a deposit? Then post for respondents/or via private PM and those who can will come forward with sufficient assistance. Reimbursements can happen once monies are collected from everyone attending. Sound reasonable?

Mike

P. S. No offense to anyone (who was intent on being helpful  ;) ), but using the subway and/or bus system in a country that isn't our native tongue would be a rather bad fiasco if we lost just one non-spanish speaking person along the way. Let us hire a tour bus, if at all possible.

Offline minismom

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 11:40:28 pm »
Isn't Creighton bringing someone who is a native Spanish speaker?  I believe that we can make it just fine on public transportation.  Please also keep in mind that we are arriving at a very touristy city who is not only used to "dealing" with the English, but would have just played host to literally thousands of international tourists, most of whom probably didnt' speak Spanish.

Just a thought.

Mum (who'll save allenq's moochie for Mike who has been so exceptionally sweet to me and Miss Mini)
www.watoto.com

Offline Dennis

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 12:50:30 am »
I have to agree with those who think we can make this trek on our own.  Surely, this isn't going to be the only time any of us are going to consider public transportation during our stay.  As far as the language barrier, I have found in my travel to other countries that residents are much more likely to be bilingual and speak English than us gringos are to speak another language.  I personally don't think we will have a problem communicating once we are there. 

Besides, meeting and trying to communicate with the locals and learning their culture is what makes being in a different country interesting.  May I suggest we begin to thank Mexico City for their hospitality by learning some basic phrases in Spanish that will help get us through the day.  They'll appreciate our effort to speak their language rather than requiring them to speak ours.

Peace,
Dennis

Offline mjmel

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 05:49:17 am »
You guys/gals realize that taking the bus to the pyramids is fairly straightforward--but getting to the North bus terminal requires subway transfers (2 lines).
There is also a small town by the name of Teotihuacan located in the same region so that if you get on the bus that reads "Teotihuacan" you may well end up there but not at the pyramid site.
I'm game for the public transport if that is the popular option but don't say I didn't warn ya.

Dennis (maricon), I have learned a few of the basics but it still can be bewildering when one can't read the signs or form proper sentence structures. I am so way behind in my Spanish lessons. Guess the summer stuff (gardening, kayaking, fishing, spring cleaning, cutting grass and getting hay stored for upcoming year) has me distracted.

Public transport: $1
Me getting lost and sitting on street curb wailing my Nancy-ass off: priceless

:-*
Mike

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 10:05:36 am »
Can I just say one thing?

YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF LUNATICS! 

You do realize that don't you?   ???   ;)

O.K. fine, I've had my say and I'll go along with this just because that's the kind of guy I am.  I won't say another word about it. No sirree Bob.  I'll just keep my mouth shut!

But while I'm on the subject!   ;D

1.  What if we can't all get on the same bus?  I don't know how big these things are but with 20 or so of us trying to get on the same bus, assuming there will be others too, well what if there isn't room?  I can deck a couple of little old ladies to take them out of contention, but that's pretty much it.

2.  Everything I've read says that if we're going on the weekend, to expect huge crowds and to plan on getting there early.  So I don't want to hear one  complaint about how awful it'll be getting up on the morning after the M & G.  And when I say "early" I do mean early!

3.  If I get lost, robbed, tortured, and am found laying dead in a gutter somewhere--you all better give your souls to God, cause I'm coming back and to haunt each and everyone of you for the rest of your mortal lives.  I'll make them a living hell.  So just be warned.  :P

But again, you all know me, I'm not one to complain or worry unnecessarily, I'll  just cross my fingers and take part in this "adventure::).

RAB    8)

(Who doesn't speak a lick of Spanish and can't learn it neither!)

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 10:51:15 am »
You guys/gals realize that taking the bus to the pyramids is fairly straightforward--but getting to the North bus terminal requires subway transfers (2 lines).
There is also a small town by the name of Teotihuacan located in the same region so that if you get on the bus that reads "Teotihuacan" you may well end up there but not at the pyramid site.
I'm game for the public transport if that is the popular option but don't say I didn't warn ya.

Mike --

I promise, it's not nearly confusing as it seems. And keep in mind, you're visiting Mexico City on the heels of a massive international conference -- the conference organizers, in close cooperation with the government, appear to be working hard to make the most popular tourist destinations highly accessible and runing like well-oiled machines. You'll benefit from this, I assure you.

Personally, I find Mexico City's subway system to be one of the best in the world -- for a city that can seem so... errr... frustrating, it's ironic how efficient, clean and easy its subway system.  However... one thing to be prepared for is the fact that -- at least when I was living there -- women are separated from the men (women in the front cars; men in the rear cars) on some subway lines during peak travel times to prevent harrassment. I don't know if this is still the case -- please check with your hotel -- but, if so, this can definitely hinder keeping everyone together. But... it looks as if you're planning this trip on a Saturday... and these regulations do not apply to off-peak and weekend travel and I think you'll find the subway system most agreeable and much less intimidating on a Saturday morning. (Keep the regulations in mind for metro travel at peak times on business days). 

Suggestion? Take a couple of sitio taxis -- reminder: always take these taxis; do not hail the green-and-white taxis in Mexico City -- from your hotel to the Norte bus terminal.

Yes, there is a town of Teotihuacan and buses that run there. But when you arrive at the Norte bus terminal, you will see -- in no uncertain terms -- bus lines going exclusively to "Los Pyramides"... and there are signs clearly stating this. You'll ask for tickets for Los Pyramides and board buses that say Los Pyramides -- it's as easy as that.

Tim Horn

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:05:06 am by Tim Horn »

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 11:16:24 am »
Does anyone know if MC observes siesta?  I know that in Honduras everything, except certain restaurants, shut down from 12 - 3.  Not even the buses or taxis run.  The street markets shut down and everyone goes home or to the park (yeah, the one with the alligators in it).  I just don't want us to be stranded somewhere during siesta - could make for a very long walk.  Just a thought.

While "siesta" is observed in some of the very residential outreaches of Mexico City -- and in some smaller towns and villages throughout Mexico -- this isn't observed in the city itself. Like others in major cities, these mid-day hours and the most important for commerce and business.

You won't have any difficulty doing the things you want to do, or going to the places you want to go, during these hours.

Tim Horn

Offline mjmel

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 04:35:17 am »
Hey Tim, thanks for that imput. It certainly imparts more confidence on the adventure of the pyramid outing. I especially appreciate how you clarified the details of the bus to Teotihuacan and to the pyramids. (And RAB thanks you too.  :D )

Muchos Gracias!
Mike

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 11:34:29 am »
Oh yes, I will definitely want to be included on this excursion.  ;D

I think we will be able to find it on our own, What an adventure!!!

RAB, honey, quit your bitchin.  ;) :D  You know we won't leave you alone and stranded in some dark and sinister place in Mexico City.

We will do what we always do - rent you out or sell you to the highest bidder.

Don't forget your Speedos.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 09:31:07 am »
Oh yes, I will definitely want to be included on this excursion.  ;D

I think we will be able to find it on our own, What an adventure!!!

Aren't you the same fool who couldn't go 2 blocks from the hotel in Montreal without getting lost?

Edit to add:  In fact didn't you get so lost one night that your roommate was left sitting up with worry cause you didn't get back to the hotel till quite late?  Hmm?   :P

RAB, honey, quit your bitchin.  ;) :D  You know we won't leave you alone and stranded in some dark and sinister place in Mexico City.

We will do what we always do - rent you out or sell you to the highest bidder.

Don't forget your Speedos.

HUGS,

Mark

>:( >:( >:(  <<<<<< RAB glares at Mark

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:49:54 am by RAB »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23:53 am »
In a place where men became gods colossal pyramids were painted red to glow under the Mexican sun.

The ancient city of Teotihuacan is the most visited of Mexico’s archaeological sites and a must-see if you’re in Mexico City. The site is impressive for its scale, both in the size of the Pyramid of the Sun (the third largest pyramid in the world) and the majesty of the Calle de los Muertos (Street of the Dead) - originally 4km long and flanked by temples, palaces and platforms. Look for amazingly well preserved murals in the Palace of the Jaguars or the Palace of the Quetzal-butterfly and bold sculptures in the Temple of Quetzalcoatl.
•   Entry to the archaeological site is free on Sundays, but it can get very crowded then.
•   If you arrange a tour with a private driver, specify if you want to go straight to the site (the driver may get a commission for taking you to handicraft stores nearby).

Be prepared for lots of walking and climbing here, and remember that the altitude will make your exertions more tiring than usual. The Pyramid of the Sun is the tallest of the two major pyramids, though it is an easier climb than the Pyramid of the Moon which has larger steps. If at all possible, we’d recommend climbing to the top of the Sun and then at least to the first platform of the Moon for the awesome view down the Calle de los Muertos.
Bearing the above in mind, bring some water (the refreshment stalls are quite a distance from the pyramids) a sunhat, camera, guidebook - but little else to drag around. As usual it’s best to arrive early in the morning or towards the end of the day to avoid the crowds or the heat (morning is best in summer, when rainfall is more common in the afternoon). Most of the tour buses have an annoying habit of starting out early in the morning but then stopping at other less strenuous sights on the way, and/or calling in at a souvenir shop before the site, so that you finally arrive around noon. Note that in winter it can actually be quite cool (even if it is warm in the city), and a sweater is recommended.

You’ll find a visitors’ complex with restaurant, toilets and shops at the entrance near the citadel. There’s also a museum housing a scale model of the city at its peak - well worth a look before or after your visit.
Getting There By bus - Autobuses Teotihuacan leave the North bus station every half an hour or so. Check that your bus goes to the site entrance and not just to the town of San Juan Teotihuacan nearby. It will take around an hour, and the buses run until about 6:00pm - check the last departure before you leave.
By tour bus - most travel agencies offer half or full day tours to the site, often combined with the Plaza de la Tres Culturas and the Basilica of Guadalupe, both of which are outside the city center. It’s a convenient way to combine the three, but note our comments above about getting to the site early. The price is around 500 pesos ($50).

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:48:05 pm by mjmel »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 02:58:07 pm »
Here's yours truly in front of and at the top of The Pyramid of the Sun (or was it the Moon?), in September, 2004.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 03:04:46 pm »
Peter 

Thanks for the photos, the view from the top looks amazing.

I can't wait to make the climb myself.  I even got a promise from a certain Great Grandma that she'd do it too.   ;D

MJ

Your info was wonderful.  Thanks guy.  This excursion to Teotihuacan is something I'm getting the most excited about. 

RAB

Offline Basquo

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 07:20:49 pm »
The site is impressive for its scale, both in the size of the Pyramid of the Sun (the third largest pyramid in the world)

The THIRD largest pyramid in the WORLD??!!  

Oh my.

And all this time I've been planning to climb it, not knowing how damn big it is.

THIS is why I quit smoking last year.  THIS!

p.s. in tribute to and respect for any Aztec ancestors I may or may not have, I'll be doubling my Lomotil dose for that day. And Santi and I are going to start climbing Mt. Bonnell once a week in July for training.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 07:28:44 pm »

I can't wait to make the climb myself.  I even got a promise from a certain Great Grandma that she'd do it too.   ;D

RAB

OK..that was made before I found out it was the THIRD biggest pyramid in the world..so don't go holding your breath.. :D

Hugs

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 08:44:30 pm »
Dame Jan and RAB,

Get in training our dearest friends beacuse our two witnesses have a photo event scheduled with us at the very top!!!

R&T

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 02:04:34 am »
Aren't you the same fool who couldn't go 2 blocks from the hotel in Montreal without getting lost?

Edit to add:  In fact didn't you get so lost one night that your roommate was left sitting up with worry cause you didn't get back to the hotel till quite late?  Hmm?   :P

>:( >:( >:(  <<<<<< RAB glares at Mark

I didn't get lost, I got sidetracked. There were strippers involved and I am not going into details here, but Robert can testify on my behalf because he was there too.  8)

My roomates didn't miss me. They were pretty busy most of the time themselves, remember? :o :o :o

Now, regarding the pyramids, I want to climb to the top as well. Jan, you have committed yourself. I know a country girl like yourself will be ready, willing and able.

I know RAB is chomping at the bit to race us to the top.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:07:43 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 06:08:06 am »
For the last four days I have been wondering why in the world RAB would pack his speedo.
While having my first cup of coffee this morning, it occurred to me ...........
he will likely wear it when climbing the pyramid(s) --
so we can all watch his cute little buns as he runs up for the top!
 8)
Mike

P.S.  Looking rather :P in those pics, Peter.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:34:31 am by mjmel »

Offline minismom

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 07:22:13 am »
If we were to climb the pyramids, Mini and I would have to arrive the day before to begin our assent. ;)  We'll do what we can, but won't be joining anyone at the top.  Maybe we can find the world's shortest pyramid and climb that one.  Or, we'll just pile up some dirt and stand on top :P

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 03:18:17 pm »
For the last four days I have been wondering why in the world RAB would pack his speedo.
While having my first cup of coffee this morning, it occurred to me ...........
he will likely wear it when climbing the pyramid(s) --
so we can all watch his cute little buns as he runs up for the top!
 8)
Mike

P.S.  Looking rather :P in those pics, Peter.

LOL  I'm a smoker and at that altitude, coupled with the fact it looks like I'll also be forced to kick a certain someone's rearend the entire way up ( >:( <<<RAB glares at her!), I can say with complete certainty I won't be "running to the top".  And I sure as heck won't be wearing a speedo!  (  >:( <<<RAB glares at MJ and Mark!)

RAB

(Who seems to be doing a lot of glaring today!) 

Offline minismom

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 06:20:43 pm »
Ok, totally off the wall question, but I've never been to an AMG, so I'm not sure how this all works out.  Are we going to get a copy of the agenda, or do we need to print off the one that Dennis is setting up before we leave?

Mum (who's wondering so, if need be, I can put "print agenda/schedule" on my list)
www.watoto.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 08:03:48 pm »
Mini and Mom

It's funny how these things work out.  For our first gathering in Toronto 3 years ago I surprised everyone with a name tag and an agenda.  Did it again in Montreal and San Francisco.  The AMG guy just asked me the other day if I would mind doing it again and, of course, I'm right on it.  Well, Michael is.  That's his project.

So no need to print anything out except your flight itinerary, transportation to the hotel and your hotel information.

roberto

Offline minismom

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 06:47:25 am »
Yahoo! had a really nice article about the pyramids this morning (July 4th).  I'd post a link, but I don't know how.  It's really interesting, though.  They've actually opened up a cave in the base of the Sun Pyramid after exploring it for 30 years.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2008, 10:44:12 am »
I, for one, will NOT wear a name tag.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2008, 11:21:01 am »
I, for one, will NOT wear a name tag.

But they're SOOO CUUUUTE!  and it's just for the Meet-N-Greet.  I bet Mini's going to wear hers.

Offline minismom

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2008, 02:57:55 pm »
Basquo, thank you for posting the link.  And, yes, Mini will be wearing her name tag attatched to her tiara.

Mum (who will wear her name tag in hopes that she won't be called Mum)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:43:45 am by minismom »
www.watoto.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.