Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:58:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 567
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 552
Total: 552

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Toxic Shock Syndrome  (Read 3532 times)

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
Toxic Shock Syndrome
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:48:37 pm »
As I have said before, in Feb. I was diagnosed with Toxic Shock Syndrome...well I have to go to the same doctor I always go to for check ups due to my TSS. Apparently a couple nurses that helped me out during then had written me letters and such but didn't have the info to send them so when I went in today my doctor gave me the envelope with all of the nice letters. I think this will brighten my whole year. I felt like a turd because I was cranky for a good portion of my hospital stay..which is understandable in some ways, but not really. There was no real excuse for my crabby additude. So I was leaving the hospital after my check up and I ran into Tina, the nurse that was with me for most of the time. I talked to her for a LONG time and found out that she is just a few years older than me and yet she seems so much more mature than me or anyone I know that is even closer to her age. We're going to lunch next week =)

WELL..onto what this was supposed to be about in the first place.

I have to do a presentation at the High School school my sister works at.  She's a sex ed (health) teacher in Indiana. I guess she wants me to talk to them about TSS and about the importance of hygine in preventing this. (Even though my case was not caused by tampon use) She also wants me to talk about HIV/AIDS in general comming from a person who is close to the age of her students. (High schoolers..even though I've been out for 3 years now..either way she says it will help..meh whatever)  While I have done research and I know a great deal about these topics because both of these things, obviousely...but the thought of talking about it so openly kind of frightens me. My public speaking skills are more or less lacking. 

Any pointers? PLEASE...I'm shaking in my Homer Simpson slippers at the thought of this endevour and I already told her I would do it...eep.

love and more love,
<3
Lotus

"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
Re: Toxic Shock Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 09:03:30 pm »
Wow, good on you Lotus...

Public speaking things:

Always look all the way around the room....even if you are too nervous to look at faces look behind their heads.  Work the whole room.

If you are asked a question, always Repeat it before you answer, because more often than not other people didn't hear it and it allows you to focus and answer better anyway.

Sit casually on a desk sort of sideways if its informal, makes people relax....unless you want formal that is.   Watch your body language, don't cross your arms and close people out.

If your body language is open and you're being yourself, the rest comes naturally.  Write a few notes of the points you want to hit in different colours so you never have to look down.

Have fun is the biggest thing.....make a joke or two, even if the topic is not so hysterical.

Sae.
Meh.

Offline swede_dish

• My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:22:57 pm »
thank you Sae! I will definately use those tips =)
-Bette Midler

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 09:34:02 pm »
Hello, best of luck to you in this. The suggestions SAE gave you sound really good, wish I had more to offer besides you will do a wonderful job.   Cristy

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:41:06 pm »
I HATE public speaking, but to sharpen my skills I joined Toastmasters for a couple of years.  It definitely helped.    Most groups meet weekly and can be either formal or informal.  Believe it or not, going to a couple of meetings (perhaps informally and for free) will give you more pointers than you'll know what to do with.  Trust me on this one.  There are groups for companies, LGBT ...  whatever you can think of.  See what's in your area and inquire.

www.toastmasters.org

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:50:49 pm »
Here's all I could find for your area:

Cherry Capital Club - Club #: 5116, Dist #: 62, Est: 05/01/1983         Meeting Time: 7:15 am, Thursday
Horizon Book Store
243 East Front Street, Traverse City, MI, 49684, United States
Club Status: Open to all                                   (231) 995 1058

I guess Traverse City is a little small...  any other near by towns?  I don't know if I could do that 7:15 am myself.  Egads!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:53:53 pm by MSPspud »

Offline swede_dish

• My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 10:24:49 pm »
Hahahah MSPspud I don't think I could do it at 7:15 but I might try.

aha yes TC is a bit small...but it IS the fastest growing area in Michigan and it has the highest number of GLBT  per capita
-Bette Midler

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.