Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:20:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 639
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Which Herbs Or Supplement Slows Down HIV.  (Read 12861 times)

Offline greenapple23

Which Herbs Or Supplement Slows Down HIV.
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:18:58 pm »
HI Everyone!!!!! Newbie Here

I just wanna know which herbs and supplements help stop OR slow down the viral replication of HIV. i wanna know this in case there comes a time when i don't have access to my meds.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Which Herbs Or Supplement Slows Down HIV.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:56:40 pm »
Only antivirals can treat HIV.  Assuming you are eating properly, you should be getting all the vitamins and minerals that your body needs.  Please save your money, nothing but antivirals will work.

Also, could you please not post in such a difficult font and color.  Some of our members have eyesight issues and your post can be very hard to read for some.

Welcome to the forums.

Joe

Offline greenapple23

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:43:26 pm »
Oh wow so no natural herb can stop the replication...wow i find that hard to believe.

Ok gotcha. i will use the regular font.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:45:56 pm by greenapple23 »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:17:42 pm »
Oh wow so no natural herb can stop the replication...wow i find that hard to believe.
35+ years of scientific research has proven that only antiretrovirals do anything against HIV. just as anecdotal evidence, you can see by the amount of AIDS deaths in America before 1996 and the huge, huge drop in deaths afterwards with the start of combination therapy (multiple classes of drugs together to inhibit the replica of HIV). So it really shouldn't be hard to believe that it takes some powerful medication to deal with a retrovirus. Of course, if some natural herb would have been found to work, your doctor would have already given you the cure as soon as you were diagnosed. And everybody here would have already been cured and there wouldn't be anybody to talk to you. LOL  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:03:13 pm »

36 million people have died of hiv worldwide.  Dont ya think if there was an herb that stopped hiv everyone would be taking it?  Think
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »

Ok gotcha. i will use the regular font.

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum.
Have you been diagnosed HIV+ with a Western Blot?
Why don't you introduce yourself a bit.

By the way, where are you reading all this kinda old info about HIV. Or it just whats info you picked up over the years, and you haven't read much yet?

This stuff about AZT and body change issues?  This stuff about herbs and supplements??

Herbs and supplements were a sort of hope out of desperation before there was effective treatment of HIV.

Nowadays there might be some LTS (long-term survivors) and or some special cases of HIV+ folks who might find relief for some side effects or damages done from having HIV for decades, or untreated hiv for a long time, or AIDS diagnosis, or rotten guts and digestive issues, etc.

If you are not in any of these categories or experiences, herbs and supplements are not part of your HIV treatment and furthermore can be counterproductive.  As well as a waste of money....

Someday real scientists may find useful properties in plants, to help fight viruses, who knows... Many plants have antiviral activity, for sure!

But all the brilliant researchers of several decades now, haven't found an effective plant based treatment for our nasty virus - HIV.

In fact, in the 90's and into the 2000's some countries royally screwed their HIV+ populations with false claims about nutrition and plants and supplements.  Rather than having access to shitty and then better medicine.

DEATHS!!!  Many many many many many useless deaths about plants and HIV.  So don't be surprised if you get heavy responses to a casual and ignorant inquiry about "which herbs slows HIV" - because its just the opposite. Plants killed thousands of people.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline greenapple23

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:01:09 pm »
Anyhoo, welcome to the forum.
Have you been diagnosed HIV+ with a Western Blot?
Why don't you introduce yourself a bit.

By the way, where are you reading all this kinda old info about HIV. Or it just whats info you picked up over the years, and you haven't read much yet?

This stuff about AZT and body change issues?  This stuff about herbs and supplements??

Herbs and supplements were a sort of hope out of desperation before there was effective treatment of HIV.

Nowadays there might be some LTS (long-term survivors) and or some special cases of HIV+ folks who might find relief for some side effects or damages done from having HIV for decades, or untreated hiv for a long time, or AIDS diagnosis, or rotten guts and digestive issues, etc.

If you are not in any of these categories or experiences, herbs and supplements are not part of your HIV treatment and furthermore can be counterproductive.  As well as a waste of money....

Someday real scientists may find useful properties in plants, to help fight viruses, who knows... Many plants have antiviral activity, for sure!

But all the brilliant researchers of several decades now, haven't found an effective plant based treatment for our nasty virus - HIV.

In fact, in the 90's and into the 2000's some countries royally screwed their HIV+ populations with false claims about nutrition and plants and supplements.  Rather than having access to shitty and then better medicine.

DEATHS!!!  Many many many many many useless deaths about plants and HIV.  So don't be surprised if you get heavy responses to a casual and ignorant inquiry about "which herbs slows HIV" - because its just the opposite. Plants killed thousands of people.

My introduction to the forum is here: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=55566.msg649370#msg649370

I have just been reading a lot about HIV to learn more about this disease ever since i got the diagnosis.  i spend most of my free time reading  anything i can about hiv. Some of the stuff i read and watched scared me. Sometimes i think i'm not mentally & emotionally strong enough to handle this disease. But i'm greatful i found this forum so that people who've had the disease for a long time can guide me through what's real and not. There is a Lot of Disinformation circulating on the internet about hiv.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:39:39 pm »
There is a Lot of Disinformation circulating on the internet about hiv.
amen!
that's why we suggest that people stick to the LESSONS section of POZ and the forums. Those lessons have nearly everything you need to know about HIV. Vetted material ;) And whatever isn't covered in the Lessons, has surely been discussed and vetted here in the forums. Using the SEARCH function or simply starting a new thread is a sure way to find out what you need to know. (You could search about supplements, vitamins, or herbs here and quickly learn which ones could help you be healthier and which ones are just "snake oil". (Just please don't turn into one of those "researching for the cure all the time" people. LOL  ;) )
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline greenapple23

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 09:07:19 pm »
amen!
that's why we suggest that people stick to the LESSONS section of POZ and the forums. Those lessons have nearly everything you need to know about HIV. Vetted material ;) And whatever isn't covered in the Lessons, has surely been discussed and vetted here in the forums. Using the SEARCH function or simply starting a new thread is a sure way to find out what you need to know. (You could search about supplements, vitamins, or herbs here and quickly learn which ones could help you be healthier and which ones are just "snake oil". (Just please don't turn into one of those "researching for the cure all the time" people. LOL  ;) )

thanks i for the advice. i will check the lessons sections asap. thanks a lot greatly appreciated.

Offline elf

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 06:17:48 pm »
Melatonin can prevent mitochondrial damage,
melatonin and turmeric have anticancer effects
(but turmeric needs vegetable oil, black pepper and pineapple extract
to enter into human blood stream, otherwise it's discarded in stool and urine,
so it's a ''complicated'' supplement).
Omega-3 / fish oil and aspirin can have anti-inflammatory effect as well
(but they shouldn't be taken together).

Artichoke extract, choline and silybin are good for your liver health.
Taurine and ursodiol are good for your liver health and bile duct health.

I'd recommend vitamin D and magnesium too,
(but not too much calcium).

Any multivitamin is okay if you're a picky eater.
If you eat well, you don't really need it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:25:10 pm by elf »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »
Any multivitamin is okay as well if you're a picky eater.
Interestingly enough, none of these items you mentioned do anything to HIV
but thanks for playing ;)  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline elf

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 06:26:21 pm »
Interestingly enough, none of these items you mentioned do anything to HIV
but thanks for playing ;)  :D

Maybe not, but they seem to reduce sub-clinical inflammation and mitochondrial damage
which is present even when HIV is suppressed (and person is ''undetectable'').

Offline zach

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 07:46:31 pm »
hair of truvada, tooth of norvir, fresh cut prezista, and root of isentress

i find these work well for my HIV

with plenty of marijuana, plenty... and some scent of patchouli

Offline elf

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 08:53:02 pm »

with plenty of marijuana

and ayahuasca

Offline zach

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:52 pm »
 8) pm sent

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 10:01:39 pm »
Melatonin can prevent mitochondrial damage,
melatonin and turmeric have anticancer effects
(but turmeric needs vegetable oil, black pepper and pineapple extract
to enter into human blood stream, otherwise it's discarded in stool and urine,
so it's a ''complicated'' supplement).
Omega-3 / fish oil and aspirin can have anti-inflammatory effect as well
(but they shouldn't be taken together).

Artichoke extract, choline and silybin are good for your liver health.
Taurine and ursodiol are good for your liver health and bile duct health.

I'd recommend vitamin D and magnesium too,
(but not too much calcium).

Any multivitamin is okay if you're a picky eater.
If you eat well, you don't really need it.

Have you run all these by a doctor to see if they are counter indicated for any specific anti-viral you are on?
Do you think its wise to make blanket recommendations with the "you" when the "you" who is reading may be on a different antiviral combo then you...    hhehehe

anyhoo, not that i have anything against herbs. I daresay it helped in my HEP C infection if it may not have been important in my spontaneous cure, it probably helped keep the organs a bit better in shape.  The spontaneous HEP C cure was from genetics.  According to the Geneva Hospital and University of Geneva Professor. 

And the herbs I took were vetted by him AND by an experience herbologist.

You do seem to know what you are doing for you but how valid are your recommendations to others???
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline zach

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 11:07:33 pm »
ok, life and board just had a strange intersection

black seed oil, recommended to me by a college educated friend from high school. i need to sit this girl down for a talk, i'm worried she's told someone this shit before and they bought it.

i'm sorry yall, i'm gonna take a side here. all that hippy dippy twigs and berries... get a fucking grip. shut up and take you meds.

and just cause i'm high, and i drink with goats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItEA3Tno3bs

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.