Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:24:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 532
Total: 532

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Valley of the Dolls - The Jackie Beat version  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Iggy

Valley of the Dolls - The Jackie Beat version
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:24:50 pm »
Just got the call from the labs and it looks like as I close in on two years sober of recreational drugs, I've gotten an anniversary present from the Universe of true irony, namely it's my time to start meds.

My last results:

Cd4: 300
VL: 96,000
%: 13

The joke of it all is that I feel physically fantastic, but I've learned from many that the physical that we are cognizant of is not necessarily accurate of our health.

Jeromy and I are a little tight on funds so we are going to hold off on the doctor appointment and getting the meds until the end of this month.  Also I am going to my niece's Confirmation in NY in the first weekend of April (who would guess me as a godfather, huh?) and I really would like to hold off starting the meds until I get back.

Not really upset as I've seen this coming for a while, but am a little disappointed that my body just couldn't pull off one more rebound on its own as it has done previously.

Offline Florida69

Re: Valley of the Dolls - The Jackie Beat version
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:55:28 pm »
Iggy I am so sorry to hear you having to start meds, it sucks some days.  Especially the expense of it all.  I know you are not working, I would look into some financial help through the ASO and the drug companies.  I tested in January of 2006, by March of 2006 I had to start meds.  Man is it ever draining on me financially, last year my part of the meds cost me around $9,000.00 last year that is with private insurance.  The good thing is I am good with money, I have been on my own since I was 15 and managed to do a budget to make room for the expense.  Good luck on the niece confirmation, and being a godfather.  I too am blessed to have a couple of nephews who should be mine, they are truly my strength at times.  Due to my mothers illness I ended up helping raise my younger brothers, and I feel more like a parent to my nephews and nieces than an uncle.  My advice is start doing some research and finding ways to pay for the meds.  Good luck, D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline Longislander

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 05:23:55 pm »
Sorry to hear your time has come to start. Definitely not the best timing, but I hope you can figure out a way to get the meds.  Please don't wait too long.  Like you I felt perfectly fine, but the #'s suggest otherwise.  I suppose you've had the geno/phenotyping stuff done. Will you start with Atripla or another combo?

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:29:06 pm »
too bad you have to start meds....good thing you know it is time to start hitting that little fucking virus with some killer anti viral...not sure what to say about the meds...I know you can get meds from the big pharma and Glaxo is right there in NC in the Raleigh/Durham area (you have to apply and if you qualify you get them).
I'm on a drug break by doctors orders but it won't last long...I'll be back on meds by the summer  >:(
since you are holding off starting the meds until you get back from NY, have another test done to make sure it is not a bleep...

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:50:36 pm »
Thanks for the support guys - I appreciate it.

I want to correct an image I may have inadvertenly put out there as far as meds/docs and costs.  As of the beginning of this year, I am fortunately on Jeromy's insurance - so I will be able to get them.  It just that even with the insurance the copays for the doc and the meds is roughly $80.  We can certainly cover, just need to hold off for a week or so. 

To be frank, even if I had money in my pocket right now, I would still hold off until after my trip to NY to see Family.  I really just don't want to deal with my body getting used to the meds while dealing with the expected (and well loved) demands that I will be facing from my nephew and nieces to be of boundless energy that weekend.

And Yes - Atripla is the most likely starting med for me unless my doc tells me different for some reason.

Thanks again for your posts

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 07:14:59 pm »
Mark honey, you know you have to "climb Mt. Everest to reach the Valley of the Dolls".    I know you did some pretty heavy climbing, deailing with the whole shingles issue....

It's not so bad here in the Valley.   I'd rather be in the Valley of the Dolls than in the Valley of the Shadow of......well you know which Valley I'm talking about ;)

Congratulations on being a Godfather!   Give the little one a special hug for me, and hope you have a great time with the family.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.