Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:06:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 471
Total: 473

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: need encouragement  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Canadaguy

need encouragement
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:54:21 pm »
 :(  Its been a week since I tested positive. I seem to be able to distract myself periodically but the knot in my stomach and my heart is always there ..... cant face people, cant find joy in the things I could before ..... not feeling great about the future ..... seeing happy people makes me sad. I know I cant give up ..... im only 31. But the idea of not waking up ... not feeling this pain is appealing. I really need some encouragement right now. I would like to know about how life can be good again, how people cope and how you can still plan for a future. want some good news please.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: need encouragement
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:34:05 pm »
I found out in August 2008 and felt the exact same way that you do, you're describing it perfectly. I can tell you, at least for me, it does get better. There are several very good, effective drugs available now that were not available just a few years ago and treatment options are only bound to get better. That doesn't mean it's a walk in the park and no big deal. You do have to take care of yourself, be adherent, etc. In the last few months I've gotten very informed about as many aspects of HIV as I possibly can and the more I know the better I feel about the whole thing. Are you in Canada? Do you have access to free or low cost medical care and the latest medications? It's definitely not a death sentence. Hang in there.

Offline rpm1437gcw

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:36:19 pm »
 ;) hey there a few words of encouragement for u.   I have been poz for 12 years this coming august, i felt the same way at the time.  how to tell those you love but that will come in time.  I found out over the past 12 years that life can be good no matter the cross we bare.  I even prayed for it not to happen.  My family is behind me and i have even found a new love we have been 9 years and he understand and we give strength to one another.  he is neg.  as one that has been there i can say it gets better.  u will have tough spots but you will survive this.  if you can find support groups in the area this site will allow that through  a postal code search if you can access that part.  this here itself can be of help.  eventhough i am new to this site i know it will help myself and other.  Keep your head up for if not you will miss a beautiful day.  we are here for each other.  check out others words on long term survivors.  may god bless you and heighten the strength within you. 
beauty is in all of us we need to see beyond the physicla to the soul.

Offline positivmat

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:58:33 pm »
You do describe this perfectly. 5 weeks since my diagnosis. I feel like you some days. But to make myself feel better (I don't know if this will work for you). I tried to think of it today like I would if I lost my right hand or some appendage. I think I would give myself so much more slack. I started thinking that I have so much more about me that I can afford to lose one aspect of myself. I try to think about handicapped people who don't have the use of their legs or something else. Oddly, I hate to admit that prior to my diagnosis, I used to think of the disabled as less of a person. But I know a few disabled people who keep going despite their disabilities. They are a great inspiration to me. I also read autobiographies of people whose lives I think were worse than mine and how they overcame their problems. Just that you are reaching out is good. It means that you value your relationship to the rest of humanity. I think that means deep down you know that you are greater than this virus. If you ever want to talk, let me know. I wish you comfort.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.