Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:23:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 615
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi-fi nerds please - how to get FLACs onto iPhone 4S?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Hi-fi nerds please - how to get FLACs onto iPhone 4S?
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:31:59 pm »
Either I have brian fog or its getting more difficult every year to find how-tos for simple stuff like this.....

How do I take my (vast) FLAC music library and load albums to my iPhone, keeping lossless quality?

Do I need to convert myself with a 3rd program, and to what?  Apple Lossless? AIFF?  And then import to itunes?

Itunes doesnt want to convert anything just by me dragging over the FLAC files.

Yeah I broke down and got an iPhone.  Thought I hated their polititcs of market control for many years and never had an iPod, just niche audiofile flac players.

Winning simple instructions will be rewarded!

Thanks.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Hi-fi nerds please - how to get FLACs onto iPhone 4S?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:45:49 pm »
FLAC and AIFF file sizes are too large for an iPhone -- you'd not be able to put much on there. Convert the files to .m4a

This program should do the conversion for you, assuming you are on a Mac -- it's also free:

http://sbooth.org/Max/
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 02:03:59 pm »
Thanks.
I have a 64gb phone, and usually dont load entire libraries, just a sorting for the month, depending on the season, my mood, new titles, etc.
But I never explored the MPEG 4 option, guess I haven't examined this for a few years. It says its better than MP3 yet smaller, so I am going to give it a go now!

I already have Max.  Do I convert my flacs to (AAC) - MPEG4 Audio, or (Apple Lossless) - MPEG4 Audio.  I have a choice on the menu.

What's your reward? I'll PM you with ideas!

Mecch

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »
Do I convert my flacs to (AAC) - MPEG4 Audio, or (Apple Lossless) - MPEG4 Audio.  I have a choice on the menu.

Keep in mind that the lossless (ALAC) files will be much larger than the AAC files.  As someone that requires music on my head at all times, I can honestly recommend that you will be ok with 256 AAC - when it comes to the quality.  It's the standard for all things sold on the iTunes Store, so if you want to check out the quality, listen to some of the previews to get a feeling for how things sound.

Don't you guys have iTunes Match in Switzerland now?
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:18 pm »
What is iTunes Match?
Guess not. But I dont use Itunes all that much the last 5 years.  Since I went to lossless copies.  But now the gadgets all have big capacities so I can consider putting lossless back onto my phone.

I just figured out the AAC  and the Apple lossless, they both work now if I click off in MAX check for itunes capatability.   By ALAC you mean the Apple Lossless will be much bigger? 
I think this spring or summer I will go for a 2TB minimum drive with thunderbolt just for putting all my lossless digital music files together and go back to using iTunes to make playlists, etc.
So would I then be converting FLAC to Apple Lossless?  Because AAC, fine for my iphone now, would actually be losing some info from the flacs?

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 12:12:02 am »
What is iTunes Match?
Guess not. But I dont use Itunes all that much the last 5 years.  Since I went to lossless copies.  But now the gadgets all have big capacities so I can consider putting lossless back onto my phone.

I just figured out the AAC  and the Apple lossless, they both work now if I click off in MAX check for itunes capatability.   By ALAC you mean the Apple Lossless will be much bigger? 
I think this spring or summer I will go for a 2TB minimum drive with thunderbolt just for putting all my lossless digital music files together and go back to using iTunes to make playlists, etc.
So would I then be converting FLAC to Apple Lossless?  Because AAC, fine for my iphone now, would actually be losing some info from the flacs?

Yes, the lossless files will be much bigger than AAC.  Again remember as Miss P said, FLAC files are not transferable to any portable device (iPhone, iPod, iPad, or even windoze peripherals).

The main difference between ALAC (lossless) and AAC files is the fact that the AAC files are compressed in size so that they are smaller in order to fit more songs on your device.  I am serious when I say that AAC files which have been encoded at 256 sound fantastic, even to most audiophiles. It's not like you are listening to a .wav file that has been compressed to hell leaving you with all types of nasty artifacts to the point where you can't bear to listen to your music.

Information regarding iTunes Match can be found here

The only reason I asked about it is that it's a good way to obtain decent quality copies of music in your library without the hassle of having to re-rip, re-encode/covert or whatever.  And everything is stored on the cloud, so you don't use any of your allotted space on your phone for music.  The only downside is that you have to have access to a network, unless you download tunes and store them on your phone --- meaning that unless you can access 3G or wi-fi, and have no actual copies of tunes on your phone, you will be stuck with dead air until you can access connectivity, as things have to download from the cloud.  This is something to consider.

The other reason I suggested Match is that I know people who downloaded horrible copies of lots of songs in the past and they were able to obtain high-quality versions, no questions asked -- once the songs were matched in the iTunes Store.  They downloaded the better versions and deleted the horrible ones....
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:46:06 am »
Yes it seems I can have match, and that is a pretty incredible deal. 

One glitch is that I don't have any of my music on iTunes anymore. Since I decided to collect it all in lossless formats.  I digitized all my cds in lossless flac, for example. SO I still have to go through the time consuming step of converting this to something I can put on iTunes.  I like the idea and generosity of Match. 

I am curious about your last paragraph!  So someone who has a huge crappy MP3 collection (not me, by the way) in his iTunes can get it back as AAC quality?  Even all their what we used to call "stolen" music? And the cloud lets them play it only?  Or actually redownload it, and move it off device, so it is still there as AAC quality when the CLOUD is off?   Is that what you are saying?  How on earth did Apple fly that by the recording industry?   Is it precisely because of the technical point that Apple isn't matching (e.g. providing) lossless copies.   Or do those AAC quality "matches" come with some sort of DRM, even when moved off device?

Thanks for all the information on this and other points!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.