Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:36:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 146
Total: 147

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Pls Assess my risk  (Read 10656 times)

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
Pls Assess my risk
« on: February 23, 2021, 02:35:58 pm »
Hello,

I am a 23 year old bi guy from the UK. This story will not be new to you admits, but I thank you for reading this. A few weeks ago, I hooked up with this guy on grindr. I did not know his status.

There was no type of anal sex whatsoever (I'm a virgin in both anal and vaginal), but I did perform oral on him. I do not recall having any cuts on my lips and/or inside my mouth. He did not cum in my mouth directly (he came from a handjob), but after he wiped himself off, I performed oral on him again. I also do not remember if I accidentally rubbed some semen in my eye using the hand I finished him off with (whether I wiped my hand or not)

Assuming this guy was positive, had cuts on my lip/mouth, and rubbed my eye with the semen, what is my risk?

I had a look before on this forum and it says generally low, but did see an article where someone became positive over an ejaculation-less bj, but they also had (protected) anal sex. Resultantly it has freaked me out a bit, when I don't think it should.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you so much.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Pls Assess my risk
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 02:47:29 pm »
Hiya,

Regardless if there any semen on your hands, rubbing your face with your hands is not an HIV risk. None whatsoever.

As for giving a blowjob, the mouth generally lacks a route for HIV to infect. Even if you had gaping wounds in your head like meth mouth, saliva also acts to neutralize HIV by damaging the receptors needed to infect human cells.

It's such a minute risk that we don't even recommend specifically testing over it, let alone any stress.

Relax and move on with your life. Just get tested at least yearly for STI's and HIV as you are sexually active, stop reading stories online and thinking it somehow relevant as it is not.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider talking to your health care provider about taking PrEP going forward as an additional layer of HIV protection.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:50:12 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 02:58:41 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Just to clarify.... rubbing your eyes with semen covered hands is not classed as a risk??

P.s. I shall try not to read other peoples stories, and will go for an sti screening later in the year.

Kindest Regards

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 03:01:45 pm »
You're welcome.

Asked and answered, asking again changed nothing. Hands with fluids on them, eyes,  not an HIV risk.

The BJ was the only thing mentioned that was a theoretical risk. Nothing to stress about.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:10:59 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:05:02 am »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Just a few more questions from me and think I'll be good!

1. Does a sore throat affect the risk of HIV transmission (provided one swallows semen)?

2. I heard that HIV itself is a fragile virus, but does the sexual fluids/blood protect the virus from being degraded quicker than  it should, I.e., when semen exposed to air?

3. How risky is mutual masturbation for HIV transmission (if semen touches the tip of the urethra etc)? I know the only known risks are unprotected anal/vaginal sex, and sharing drug needles.

I'll definitely practise safe sex in the future, and when I get tested (hopefully) will have a negative result. Thank you once again for your help.... I would probably be freaking out incessantly if it was not for you.

Kindest Regards,
Jxcoze

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 02:06:00 pm »
1) no
1) no
3) Mutual masturbation, no HIV risk.

If what you posted here was your only sexual encounter then the routine yearly HIV test result will be non-reactive (negative).
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 02:15:06 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks again. Admittedly, this was not my first activity, but my second. My first risk entailed performing oral sex on a dude (unknown status) where I had ulcers in my mouth. There was full ejaculation. I took the BioSure HIV home test after the 3 month window period and it came back negative. Just to confirm that this was a conclusive result, so I don't need to worry about it?

I also recently performed a handjob to a gentleman (unknown status), to which he resultantly ejaculated on my hand. From what I have read here, that is classed as no risk. Do small cuts on your hand/fingers make it a theoretical risk?

Again, I feel like all situations that I mentioned does not seem to warrant PeP/ further testing apart from my annual sexual health check like you said about my mentioned exposure.

Kind Regards,
Jxcoze
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:21:02 pm by Jxcoze »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 02:26:21 pm »
Hiya,

The BJ did not need testing to start with and the result is conclusive.

The handjob is not an HIV risk. HIV is fragile, limited and sexually only acquired inside the human body as in never being exposed to the environment outside of it's the environment. Also, any day to day wounds, cuts, scrapes, etc is not a route for HIV.

Try to relax, use condoms for any future intercourse, continue screening yearly for STI's & HIV and consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 02:29:58 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks again. In future encounters, I shall endeavour to practice safe sex. I am unable to take PrEP as I have an existing chronic kidney condition, so I will have to be more vigilant should I ever engage in anal/vaginal sex in the future.

Kind Regards,

Jxcoze

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 01:36:13 pm »
Hi Jim/Other admins that may read this,

I have another question about transmission risks. I know you said that semen from the hands to the eye is essentially not a risk, but what about direct semen splashes into the eye? Would that be a (theoretical) risk if at all?

Apologies for the inane question, I am trying to learn more about this virus in general, and Google seems to give conflicting answers.

Kind Regards

Jxcoze

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 01:43:05 pm »
Hiya,

Not an hiv concern is the answer, you are over thinking this.
Stop googling for issues you don't have otherwise sooner or later you will end up asking me about toilet seats and public phone boxes.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 01:47:12 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I'll stop googling stuff from now on! I also feel like there was a bit of a serious but humourous tone there regarding about googling toilet seats.... I guess you have had people give you questions like that 😅😂? Don't worry, even I know that would be a zero risk!

Kind Regards
Jxcoze

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:21:15 am »
Hi Jim,

This one isn't for me but for a friend, if that's ok? She's getting really worried about her exposure and was wondering if you could help. She recently (about a month ago) hooked up with a guy (protected vaginal sex, unprotected oral) and when the guy came, some of the semen went into her mouth and some in her eyes, which she rubbed slightly after the cum went in. She said that her eyes were red and irritated, even after she washed the cum off. She's just had symptoms (fever, muscle aches etc.) and was wondering if this could be HIV related, or due to something else?

She does not remember the condom breaking, but is
still panicking.

Kindest Regards,

Jxcoze

P.S. I've showed her our chats, but she is still unable to calm down
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 10:39:15 am by Jxcoze »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 01:05:19 pm »
If your friend wants an assessment they can create their own account.

Best. Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 01:12:10 pm »
Hi Jim,

I'll tell her now.

Kind Regards,
Jxcoze

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 11:16:28 am »
Hi Admins,

This will be my last post (for a while) but thank you for the advice ;D  ;D. I shall make sure to practice safe sex (when required) test at the end of the year (hopefully everything will be negative)!!!

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 01:06:56 pm »
Hi Jim,

Last post (definitely this time). I have just spoken to my doctor and suggested to not get on PrEP due to my kidneys. Is there any other form of anti-HIV medication or will condoms suffice should I engage in further activities in the future?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 01:39:33 pm »
Hiya.

There are a few things you could talk to your doctor about such as Descovy PrEP instead of Truvada or on-demand dosing instead of daily.
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/mar-2019/descovy-non-inferior-truvada-daily-prep

However, if PrEP is not an option you can still have safer sex.

In short, HIV can't transmit through an intact latex or polyurethane condom. However, incorrect or inconsistent usage is an issue to its effectiveness against HIV.

Sadly there are plenty of myths about condoms or misguided publications so below I've included the basics and links to the best, largest and longest collection of studies performed to put that question to rest.

Condom Usage in short:

What you need to know about condoms is that latex or polyurethane are highly effective barriers against HIV. HIV can't transmit through this intact barrier.

Use approved condoms. In other words, check for a certification mark (FDA, CE, ISO or Kitemark). Check the expiry date and make sure the condom is still in date.

Use lubricant, condom safe water-based lubricants make condoms more comfortable and reduces the risk of breakage. – but avoid oil-based lubricants as they can weaken or break condoms.

Its import to put the condom on correctly. If incorrectly done, it may increase the risk of breakage. Place the condom on top of the erect penis, pinch the teat at the end before you start to roll it down the penis. By doing this, you'll squeeze out any air bubbles and ensure there is room for the semen (cum). Roll the condom down to the base of the penis.

If it's on correctly, it will roll downwards easily. If you've started putting it on the wrong way, take it off and even if you or your partner has not ejaculated (cum) there can still be semen or (pre-cum), so it's important to try again with a new condom. (More to do with risks from other STI's than anything else)

Finally, keep in mind that condom effectiveness against other STI's is a different matter as effectiveness varies depending on how the STI is transmitted. However, they do generally reduce the risk but do keep testing at least yearly.

http://ec.europa.eu/research/press/2003/pr2010-hiv-en.html
During the last 15 years, the European Commission has financed several research projects aimed at studying, (directly or indirectly), the use of condoms as a preventive measure against sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS. These projects were carried out not only in Europe, but also in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, where the burden of the HIV epidemic is at its highest. All the studies concluded that the male condom was an effective way of preventing the transmission of HIV, with an efficacy close to 100% when the condom is used appropriately.

https://www.who.int/hiv/mediacentre/news/condoms-joint-positionpaper/en/
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1016/S0968-8080(04)24151-9
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 01:56:50 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks so much. Please keep doing what you are doing. You really help a lot of worried people like me.

Thanks to you, I am not worrying as much about the initial risk that I posted on here  ;D.

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 10:54:07 am »
Hey Jim,

I'm back. I think my situation is a minor one again but not too sure. Yesterday, I gave (protected) oral sex to a guy (not a risk, I know), and he also dry humped me (we were both naked, his penis did not go inside my ass so not a risk). However, as I was blowing him, I felt a sharp sensation in my side/back, which I didn't really acknowledge till after the session.

I checked my body, and nothing seemed to be bleeding/ showing any signs of infliction, but I have a weird thought that he may have hidden a sharp (e.g. a syringe or needle) of some sort and poked me with it. However, I didn't see anything sharp during our session, but I was to focused on performing oral sex. It could have been his nail, but I honestly don't know. I feel like I would have known/remembered if a needle went into my body, but I don't know if I'm second guessing.

Was I at risk or am I being irrational? Can I relax and move on with my life?

Kind Regards,
Jxcoze
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:06:20 am by Jxcoze »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 01:26:08 pm »
I read it 3 times, its not an HIV risk.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 01:36:15 pm »
Thanks Jim. I'll try to be more careful and not so be in my head next time.

Can I ask why this was not a risk? Apologies
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:38:37 pm by Jxcoze »

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 02:26:59 pm »
Actually Jim,

Never mind. If you say it's not a risk, I'll take your word for it and test when due. I'll see someone about this as well regarding my irrational fears. I'll relax for now and move on with my life

Kindest Regards,
Jxcoze

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 03:17:00 pm »
If someone stabbed you with a syringe (hollow needle), you would not doubt it, and you would not continue giving a blow job uninterrupted. Any other sharp object is not an issue anyway. As for hollow needles, holding still with a trained nurse is one thing. Some novice stabbing you whilst moving about is another, and again you would have clearly known without any doubts.

Also, even that is not an issue unless they also injected you, that takes more than a moment, and you would have known about it.

There is then the why?? Even if some nut wanted to pass on HIV I can think of much better more effective ways.

You had a sharp sensation it's nothing more than that, no need to overthink it. This is irrational fear, move on with your life.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:21:21 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 03:27:03 pm »
Thanks Jim. You're right :) I'll try not to doubt my self and  I'll move on from this now 😊

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 03:24:03 am »
Hi Jim,

Just another quick q. I was wondering, as a person who has never had anal or vaginal sex before, would I notice if a penis would go in me? I'm 99% sure that I wasn't entered into in my last encounter, but am still going to get a test after 6 weeks.

Kind Regards,
Jxcoze

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 05:32:30 am »
Hiya.

You are overthinking this. If you had been penetrated you would have known about it.

Your posts about no-risk situations etc are starting to get excessive. Use condoms for any intercourse, test yearly.

In the meantime, move on with your life, stop focusing on issues you don't have.

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 05:47:58 am »
Hi Jim,

I've booked to start some counselling sessions with my GP/ a counsellor about this soon. Thank you again, I'm trying not to be in my head again.

Kindest Regards,
Jxcoze

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2021, 05:45:24 am »
You're welcome.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2021, 11:42:35 am »
Hey Jim,

Thanks again for your work. I was hoping if you could help me with something.

On March 30th I did some sexual activity that required (more consider apparently) PEP (Initially protected anal sex where I was the receptive partner. He got the head in and the condom broke, so I took it out).

I stopped PEP on the 27th April, and on the 18th May underwent a blood test (approx. 3 weeks post pep). It came back negative. I know that this does not cover the exposure that warranted PEP but does this cover all the other events prior? When should I test post-PEP?

Another thing. I know that you mentioned oral sex was a near negligible concern for HIV (but not for other STIs), so have engaged in a few oral sessions since then. I recently (today) performed oral on a man, where I did deepthroat hi, and tested pre-cum. He did not cum in my mouth at all.

I checked my mouth after and found a non-painful sore/inflammation and saw that my tonsil may have been slightly bleeding. Would this increase the risk? Would this need PEP again?

Thank you again,
Jxcoze

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2021, 11:57:06 am »
The result you have is a good indicator, now to confirm your HIV status test with a blood-drawn HIV antibodies test at 6 weeks post finishing PEP, a negative result at that time will rarely ever change. Now although not needed, if you wish you can re-test at 3 months post finishing PEP, for a conclusive result and peace of mind.

Regarding the blowjob, I've answered this before and nothing you mentioned changes anything.

As for giving a blowjob, the mouth generally lacks a route for HIV to infect. Even if you had gaping wounds in your head like meth mouth, saliva also acts to neutralize HIV by damaging the receptors needed to infect human cells.

It's such a minute risk that we don't even recommend specifically testing over it, let alone any stress.

Relax and move on with your life. Just get tested at least yearly for STI's and HIV as you are sexually active, stop reading stories online and thinking it somehow relevant as it is not.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2021, 12:01:51 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thank you so much! I was initially panicking about the BJ situation, so thank you. I did remember that it had to enter your bloodstream so tried to rationalise how it could enter my blood if the blood was pouring out. Thank you for giving me the piece of mind to move on from this scenario

Also, I'm not entirely sure why they did this but during PEP, the nurse tested me. I asked and they said if  I had HIV it would have been in my blood by then,  could you by any chance elaborate? I thought PEP delayed seroconversion is why

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2021, 12:05:52 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thank you so much! I was initially panicking about the BJ situation, so thank you. I did remember that it had to enter your bloodstream so tried to rationalise how it could enter my blood if the blood was pouring out. Thank you for giving me the piece of mind to move on from this scenario

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2021, 12:10:33 pm »
You're welcome.

Not really interested in what some nurse said to you.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 12:14:53 pm »
Thanks anyway Jim!

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2021, 11:35:03 am »
Hi Jim,

Thanks again for your work. I ended up testing negative at 5 weeks and 2 days post finishing PEP so my doctor put me on PrEP, which was Descovy at first. I was prescribed this for a month until my doctor switched me to Truvada since my EGFR results were deemed good enough.

A week prior to the switch in medication I had a brief experience with a sexual partner, where it was a short bout of unprotected anal and fingering (I was the receptive partner) until we both decided to use a condom instead. I remember him not ejaculating in me, however.

I know this is a real world risk, and that PrEP is highly effective in decreasing my chances of HIV contraction. I'm just wondering however whether the medication switch a week after this (Descovy to Truvada) would provide me with similar protection? Would I have had enough of Descovy in my system to protect me from the exposure?

Kind Regards,
Jxcoze

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2021, 11:45:56 am »
Hiya,

So condomless intercourse and you were still taking Descovy daily PrEP at the time of the encounter and the week that followed?

Then you nearly answered the question yourself, PrEP is highly effective in preventing HIV. My only comment is it's not a guarantee and it does not prevent other STI's, so do test more frequently for HIV & STI's, ideally every 3 months.

Anyhow, the switch a week later is not an issue regarding this encounter.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2021, 11:49:07 am »
Hi Jim,

So yes. I was still on daily Descovy during this encounter as well as the next week until my Truvada switch. Hopefully I'll be fine from this encounter but hoping to test for the other STDs soon

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2021, 12:00:30 pm »
Hi Jim,

I don't know if this is relevant at all but the past couple of days, I have been experiencing symptoms such swollen tonsils with white exudate, and aching joints. I have read that these are part of ARS symptoms, but I know that it could be something else. Do you have any advice? Could this be ARS?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2021, 12:05:00 pm »
No it's not relevant.
See your doctor and treat whatever is making you sick.

Look you had a risk, but your on PrEP so stop stressing. Test as per routine, next time use condoms to reduce your stressing afterwards and your HIV & STI risk
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2022, 05:44:44 pm »
Hi Jim,

Hope you're well. Just a quick question about PrEP usage and side effects here. I have been taking my PrEP daily since July of 2021, where I had some side effects that lasted a month or so but it has been good so far.

Recently, I have been having bouts of diarrhoea/loose stool about 1 to 1.5 hours post taking my PrEP. I will be going to my doctor about this, but I was wondering if there was a possibility the PrEP may not have been absorbed properly into my system because of the diarrhoea? Should I still keep taking daily? I was also contemplating on taking another dose but decided not to in the end.

Thanks again for your work.

Kind Regards,
Jxcoze

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2022, 03:51:51 am »
Generally, it's not going to impact the absorption and effectiveness of PrEP.

Glad to hear you are seeing your healthcare provider, diarrhoea for more than a few days should be checked by them.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2022, 03:55:50 am »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply! Yes I shall be contacting my doctor regarding this. One more question: could it be the PrEP that could be causing me diarrhoea?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2022, 04:33:00 am »
I would doubt it considering you had already been taking PrEP since July, and there are far more common causes of diarrhoea.

However, the cause is something for your healthcare provider to determine.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2022, 06:33:24 am »
Hi Jim,

Jxcoze here. I wanted to ask you about traveling abroad with PrEP. Long story short, I will be traveling to the Philippines, with a stopover in Qatar (outbound and inbound). I am not entirely sure regarding the Philippines, but I know that Qatar has a strict policy on drugs (especially narcotics ARTs such as PrEP) and that people could be deported if they enter Qatar. As I am just transiting, would this still apply to me? If not, why?

Do you have any tips on how I can make my transit smoother/or if I can at all? Are there any restrictions in the Philippines regarding bringing PrEP?

Thank you again for your input, I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2022, 07:08:36 am »
https://www.hivtravel.org/Default.aspx?pageId=169

Transit passengers going through Abu Dhabi, Dubai or Qatar

Airline passengers going through transit (i. e. changing planes) in these cities don't need to worry. Transit passengers don't go through immigration or customs. People staying overnight in a hotel should take precautions

Philippines

https://www.hivtravel.org/Default.aspx?PageId=143&CountryId=144

Antiretroviral medication can be imported for personal use for up to 6 months. A doctor’s prescription should be carried

Hiya,

I know people that have claimed to have had connecting flights through Qatar whilst carrying ART and have been fine. However, I can't give you any firsthand information.

There is a site with information for PrEP users and HIV+ travellers. I've used the site myself a few times, and I've provided the information and links above. Although I would recommend you double-check with an embassy before travelling if possible.

Best, Jim.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jxcoze

• Standard
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2022, 07:13:14 am »
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your input! Would you recommend calling them or emailing them for anonymity purposes?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2022, 08:23:11 am »
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your input! Would you recommend calling them or emailing them for anonymity purposes?

If they really want to know who you are, they will regardless of what you do. Although I do not see why they would care. However, emailing might be best as at least the answer would be written down and something you can bring with you.

Enjoy your travels.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.