Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:24:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 797
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 794
Total: 794

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do You Really Know Who You Are? Be Connected.  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
Do You Really Know Who You Are? Be Connected.
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:15:39 pm »
Watch This:

http://www.iambecauseweare.com/  :-\

Alternatively:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3awaN0nOwQ

I am grateful for this film. A Powerful Message and Impact.  :-*
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Merlin

Re: Do You Really Know Who You Are? Be Connected.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:43:34 pm »
It's truly sad that people always prefer to give bad press to Madonna when she's trying to help by adopting another one of the AIDS stricken child from Malawi. She could have chosen NOT to care, NOT to make the movie to draw focus to these sick people and NOT to adopt another sick child; but being the convicted person that she is, she did the right thing.

We live in a strange sad world.  :-[

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:11:28 pm »
Merlin,
Is Madonn'a adopted African son HIV+?  An HIV+ orphan?  What i heard was that she looked over 6 kids who were genuine orphans, rejecting them to chose this one, who is very very charming, but who also has a father. And insisted on this one.
The are too many mixed messages coming out of the story but obvioulsy its a better gesture than none at all! Correct.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Merlin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:32:31 pm »
Merlin,
Is Madonn'a adopted African son HIV+?  An HIV+ orphan?  What i heard was that she looked over 6 kids who were genuine orphans, rejecting them to chose this one, who is very very charming, but who also has a father. And insisted on this one.
The are too many mixed messages coming out of the story but obvioulsy its a better gesture than none at all! Correct.

-----------------------------------------------

I prefer to focus on the overwhelming positive (no pun intended) aspects of her adoption. So now that the Human Rights Committee succeeded in stopping the second adoption, hope they are all happy that Mercy James will now be stuck in the orphanage, counting her numbered days as opposed to getting a second chance at life, like David Banda.  >:( As to whether the first adopted child is confirmed HIV+, no official source will confirm or deny it.

The country’s information minister told Reuters on Thursday that Madonna had helped in the country and was a worthy mother who was supporting over 25,000 orphans in the country.

Humans are always subjected to all kinds of gossips, slander and jealousy. We all get our unfair share, let alone if the someone is easy target, like Madonna. I never seem to see or hear the critics of someone else's good deed, try or even match, let alone exceed, similar deeds ever. I get very bored with such negative energies and I never bother about such gossips. ;)

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-04-03-malawi-father-gives-nod-to-madonnas-fresh-adoption-bid

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:52:48 am »
Isn't Madonna living in the States again? I doubt that either of the children from Malawi are hiv positive because they would not be permitted entry to the US.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 09:13:55 am »
Isn't Madonna living in the States again? I doubt that either of the children from Malawi are hiv positive because they would not be permitted entry to the US.
Well first I agree let's congratulate the generosity of Madonna, not worry about gossips.
Ann, since Madonna is American, her kids would probably be so as well, no? And then HIV would not pose a residency problem.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:57:07 am »

Well first I agree let's congratulate the generosity of Madonna, not worry about gossips.
Ann, since Madonna is American, her kids would probably be so as well, no? And then HIV would not pose a residency problem.

I agree we should celebrate Maddonna's good works.  She does important work for a lot of charitable organizations.

I also did not want to believe that HIV+ orphans would be denied entry on adoption.  But that's what the INS says:

"If an orphan petition is approved, the beneficiary (the child) of the petition is considered to be an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. This means the child can get an immigrant visa right away without being placed on a visa waiting list.

However, the child must still qualify for an immigrant visa just like any other immigrant. For example, the orphan cannot get a visa if he or she is considered to be inadmissible to the United States. One reason an orphan could be inadmissible to the United States is if he or she has a contagious disease of public health significance. Waivers for certain grounds of inadmissibility may be sought. If an orphan petition is approved, an application for an immigrant visa may be made at the American embassy or consulate having jurisdiction over the child’s residence.

When an orphan enters the United States with an immigrant visa, the child is considered to be a lawful permanent resident of the United States, not a U.S. citizen. General information about U.S. citizenship for foreign-born adopted children can be found in Section VII of this publication."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=17f496981298d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=063807b03d92b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
emphasis added

It is so shameful; can't wait for the appointees to be confirmed and take action on this.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.