Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:47:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 324
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diseases of Aging Occur 10-15 Years Earlier in HIV+  (Read 9254 times)

Offline edfu

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: Diseases of Aging Occur 10-15 Years Earlier in HIV+
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:28:49 am »
Thanks edfu.
The progression off this fact has been interesting to me. From 12 years ago in a support group each time I have had an extended stay in Hospital to now reading these studies. plus of course living with 3 'aging conditions '
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:14:05 am »
This has been the topic of discussion among many of us LTS.

The question is what do we do about it, or, rather, is there anything that we can do about it?

Rather like the good old days, eh? Back when we didn't have a clue what to do next?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 10:34:54 am »
The question is what do we do about it, or, rather, is there anything that we can do about it?
the suggestions in that report were not anything that "we" (as in you and I and the LTSs) could about it; but things others could do about it - like take anti-inflammation meds (ie aspirin) and start HAART earlier.

as I had a pretty low cd4 nadir, am allergic to aspirin, and really didn't start that AZT soon enough  :D,
I think I'm screwed and just gone to be getting older faster. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:06 am »
Why, I don't look a day over 45  :D and I'm gonna be 55 in about a week and 1/2, I stopped worrying about my age when I turned 50, after that I knew I was invisible to the rest of the world , what can we do about this, here's a short answer NOTHING
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:28:06 pm »
you're right Dennis (and we are the same age, BTW)

I read all of this info, but it seems there's not a whole lot any of us can DO about it, except to try to eat well, exercise, rest, just the usual common sense stuff.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Theyer

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:08:09 pm »
On my 54 birthday I got  a over 60 cheap cinema ticket.
one must find ones compensations if one can and not listen to old time friends who said that would off happen,d anyway.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline aztecan

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:45 pm »
Why, I don't look a day over 45  :D and I'm gonna be 55 in about a week and 1/2, I stopped worrying about my age when I turned 50, after that I knew I was invisible to the rest of the world , what can we do about this, here's a short answer NOTHING

I agree completely about not worrying about looking older. I am just a smidge younger than you  ::)  , but I vividly remember turning 50 and suddenly becoming transparent.
Come to think of it, Alan, we were together in San Fransico that year. Poor children didn't know what they missed when they overlooked us! ;)

My only concern is not dropping dead from a heart attack before I am 67. My goal is to live longer than my father did, and he died at 66 of his third heart attacki.

Aside from that, I will take my AARP discounts whenever I can.  ;D

HUGS,

Mark

Offline edfu

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:03:56 am »
I read all of this info, but it seems there's not a whole lot any of us can DO about it, except to try to eat well, exercise, rest, just the usual common sense stuff.

Agreed, but we must also be proactive and INSIST that our doctors provide essential diagnostic tests and care before the usually accepted age-related period.  We must demand appropriate anal-dysplasia tests, DEXA tests, cardiovascular tests, etc.  As this linked report says:

“Our findings suggest that an aggressive approach to the screening, diagnosis, and treatment of non-infectious comorbidities is warranted as part of the routine healthcare for HIV-infected patients. Our data suggest that onset of such screening should commence at a substantially earlier age for HIV-infected persons, compared with HIV-uninfected persons, possibly at least a decade in advance.”
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:59:41 am »
I"ve been taking Ibuprofen twice-thrice times a day for years, wonder if that will help me.  Otherwise, I do have diabetes, Insulin dependent.  And I was on a statin, but stopped it when I changed combos (it was causing severe cramps anyway); my doctor also wrote me out a prescription for one of the osteoporosis meds after a bone scan, but I've never gotten it filled.  I just take Calcium. 

Other than that, I take about 13 or 14 different meds, which totals out to about 24-25 pills a day, plus an injection of Insulin at night, and fast acting Insulin if my bloodsugar gets a little high.  It's just something else to deal with I suppose.  Like has been said, what are we to do? 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 11:55:50 am »
Our data suggest that onset of such screening should commence at a substantially earlier age for HIV-infected persons, compared with HIV-uninfected persons, possibly at least a decade in advance.”
Good point.

This was not really a report about what HIV+ people, as an older crowd with HIV longer, can do; but what HIV+ people, as an older crowd, are experiencing. The result is not about what that group can do about the problems they already have; but what others can do as prevention from having these same issues. Some of us, as LTSs older and dealing with HIV longer, are just stuck with the problem because this damage is already done.

however the positive take-away from this study is that those younger, more recently infected, and newer to medications should get more screenings earlier, possibly take anti-inflamatory medications, and start HAART sooner, so they don't have these issues as much as they age.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 12:46:19 pm »
Agreed, but we must also be proactive and INSIST that our doctors provide essential diagnostic tests and care before the usually accepted age-related period.  We must demand appropriate anal-dysplasia tests, DEXA tests, cardiovascular tests, etc.  As this linked report says:

Good Point, but I live in New Mexico, and my ID Doctor told me, that ("If you want such a test for anal-dysplasia tests, DEXA /HPV") you won't get that here, you'll have to go to NYC, LA or S.F. we just don't have that here  ??? being pro-active is great , but unfortunately it won't always get you whatever test may you want, so I'm kinda limited here, and cannot afford any of this (going outta my health-care-network)
really isn't a option for me  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Theyer

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 02:02:43 pm »
One area where I think this should have ramifications is in benefit / social care assessments. And long term planning .
Though I am not clear if this will only affect our genration off LTS

Offline David_CA

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »
Of course, we have people like my Dr (lots of long-term experience in treating HIV) saying that other than side effects, we're no different than HIV- people.  Many already have issues caused by HIV / OI's pre-HAART or pre-meds that can't be remedied; I guess he forgot to include those, too. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 08:05:23 pm »
Of course, we have people like my Dr (lots of long-term experience in treating HIV) saying that other than side effects, we're no different than HIV- people.  Many already have issues caused by HIV / OI's pre-HAART or pre-meds that can't be remedied; I guess he forgot to include those, too. 

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that too, my ID Doctor isn't that bad, she always tells me "Dennis you are very healthy for a person that has had HIV/AIDS for as long as you have, you don't have warts, you don't have
all the little nasty things that come for unprotected sex, and all of these tests you think you need you DON'T"

Your Kidneys aren't all that great, and your GI-disease is @ least treatable, you take care of yourself, your UD and have been for the last 6 to 7 yrs. so STOP worrying about all of these things, if you need tests, I will give you them, it's my job to keep you healthy and to keep your HIV/AIDS under control..... your already doing your part, so let me do mine PLEASE  ;)

Offline mpositive

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 06:54:47 am »
My doc say the same thing to me Dennis....except that I need to lose a LOT of weight.  MY biggest challenge.  Funny comment he made last visit, he said "you look great on paper!"  lol.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 10:09:59 am »
For those of you who don't read the LTS forum, Edfu linked to a recent article over at aidsmap about cataracts possibly being an hiv early ageing issue.

HIV-positive patients are signficantly more likely to undergo surgery to remove cataracts in the eye, according to Danish research published in Clinical Infectious Diseases. A low CD4 cell count before and after the initiation of antiretroviral therapy was associated with cataracts, but there was no evidence that any individual anti-HIV drug was associated with an elevated risk of the condition.

Cataracts are cloudy patches that develop on the lens of the eye, either as a result of ageing or as a long-term consequence of viral infections and inflammation affecting the eye. Long-term corticosteroid treatment may also raise the risk of cataract development.

The investigators suggest that cataracts may be one of the “diseases of ageing” associated with HIV. They add that doctors should be aware of the condition, “however, taking the level of excess risk into consideration, there seems to be no indication for special ophthalmic examinations for cataracts or changes in treatment strategies.”
read more

Another reason why we pozzies should have periodic eye exams, even if you're not someone who needs glasses.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »
For those of you who don't read the LTS forum, Edfu linked to a recent article over at aidsmap about cataracts possibly being an hiv early ageing issue.

HIV-positive patients are significantly more likely to undergo surgery to remove cataracts in the eye, according to Danish research published in Clinical Infectious Diseases. A low CD4 cell count before and after the initiation of antiretroviral therapy was associated with cataracts, but there was no evidence that any individual anti-HIV drug was associated with an elevated risk of the condition.

Cataracts are cloudy patches that develop on the lens of the eye, either as a result of ageing or as a long-term consequence of viral infections and inflammation affecting the eye. Long-term corticosteroid treatment may also raise the risk of cataract development.

The investigators suggest that cataracts may be one of the diseases of ageing associated with HIV. They add that doctors should be aware of the condition, “however, taking the level of excess risk into consideration, there seems to be no indication for special ophthalmic examinations for cataracts or changes in treatment strategies.”
read more

Another reason why we pozzies should have periodic eye exams, even if you're not someone who needs glasses.

I already have cataracts, but not serious enough to remove yet. But, they are also endemic where I live, caused by exposure to a lot of bright sun, or so they tell me at the opthamologist's office.

But I disagree regarding pozzies being no more prone to rapid aging than their negative counter parts.

Many of us, including me, have been living with the inflammation caused by constant immune system activation for more than two decades. Think of revving your car engine constantly for years. Things just wear out faster.

In our case, as the Italian study indicates, we are at greater risk of noninfectious co-morbidities. How much at risk will, I believe, vary greatly, just as our response to HIV and HIV treatment varies greatly.

I have three out of four indicators myself. I have had HIV for more than 25 years, my first meds were the "golden oldies," and I have lipodystrophy (specifically lipohypertrophy),

The only one I missed was having a CD4 nadir of less than 200.

I also believe our individual medical and family medical histories play a part.

I guess the bottom line is to know thyself. If you know there is a history of heart conditions in your family, as well as hyperlipidemia, hypertension, etc., it behooves each of us to do what we can to stave off these problems.

If only makes sense. If we know we have a propensity for these problems to begin with, and are also aware that living long-term with HIV, plus the other things, can hasten the development of those problems, then we should be taking action on our own to derail the process.

At least, that is what I think we should do.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:44:11 pm by aztecan »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 12:44:38 pm »
... yet at the same time some of you are eternally pining to see your doctor only once annually
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 12:47:39 pm »
I see mine at least twice a week.

Of course, its not about anything related to me , , ,

HUGS,

Mark

Offline denb45

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:10 pm »
... yet at the same time some of you are eternally pining to see your doctor only once annually

I have to agree with you there, seeing your doctor(s) once annually really isn't enough, I see my doctor(s) all 3 of them @ least 3 times a yr. not too sure, but I think THIS is required to keep my Access & Ryan White
current, also, I'm not really in that great of health, like most of you working stiffs might be  :)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »
I have a regularly scheduled appointment with my eye doctor in 2 weeks.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline buginme2

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 12:35:10 pm »
News article today states HIV Patients on HARRT have a Plethora of Ocular Diseases.

Cataracts are occuring at a "Much younger age"

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/752667

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline elf

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 07:40:30 pm »
To combat the rapid aging: take melatonin, selenium, vitamin-C , omega-3 and olive oil (apply olive oil on your skin too)
To combat sub-clinical infection: take low dose aspirin
To combat/prevent cataract: take statins
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:44:09 pm by elf »

Offline aztecan

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:32 pm »
To combat the rapid aging: take melatonin, selenium, vitamin-C , omega-3 and olive oil (apply olive oil on your skin too)
To combat sub-clinical infection: take low dose aspirin
To combat/prevent cataract: take statins

Well, I have been taking selenium since 1992, when my doctor back then recommended it, mainly because there wasn't much else we could do.

I would fall asleep if I took melatonin, but do take some vitamin C. I take 6 grams of fish oil and use olive oil liberally in many dishes.

I take a full-strength aspirin to stave off the flushing from Niaspan,

I can't take statins - ever. They cause serious side effects for me and mu CPKs are abnormally elevated to begin with.

So, I already do a lot of what you suggest, but I still have problems.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline DiggerDive

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 11:44:57 pm »
I didn't plan on aging when I was negative and I'm not taking part now that I'm positive.  Simple as that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:10 am »
I didn't plan on aging when I was negative and I'm not taking part now that I'm positive.  Simple as that.

Lemme know how that works out.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline edfu

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 12:39:21 am »

You might as well say you didn't plan on dying then or now. 

Offline elf

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:50 pm »
Well, I have been taking selenium since 1992, when my doctor back then recommended it, mainly because there wasn't much else we could do.

I would fall asleep if I took melatonin, but do take some vitamin C. I take 6 grams of fish oil and use olive oil liberally in many dishes.

I take a full-strength aspirin to stave off the flushing from Niaspan,

I can't take statins - ever. They cause serious side effects for me and mu CPKs are abnormally elevated to begin with.

So, I already do a lot of what you suggest, but I still have problems.

HUGS,

Mark

You can take melatonin before going to bed.  :)

I just ordered Can-C Carnosine Eye Drops.
I've gotten myopia in these 3 years of being HIVpositive, and sudden myopia may be a 1st sign of cataract.
So, these drops might help.  :)
Melatonin might be effective against cataract too: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18556977

Some supplements work, some don't. Resveratrol and turmeric are useless because their concentration is extremely low even when enormous doses are taken. Lycopene in a hot tomato soup is more readily available than lycopene in pills.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 08:56:07 pm »
You can take melatonin before going to bed.  :)

I just ordered Can-C Carnosine Eye Drops.
I've gotten myopia in these 3 years of being HIVpositive, and sudden myopia may be a 1st sign of cataract.
So, these drops might help.  :)
Melatonin might be effective against cataract too: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18556977

Some supplements work, some don't. Resveratrol and turmeric are useless because their concentration is extremely low even when enormous doses are taken. Lycopene in a hot tomato soup is more readily available than lycopene in pills.

Uh, you seriously think you're getting cataracts from HIV after being positive for 3 years and at the age of only 31?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.