Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:36:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773182
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 320
Total: 322

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I bleed; therefore, I am  (Read 6015 times)

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
I bleed; therefore, I am
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:04:31 pm »
During my phlebotomy session at NIH this morning, I lost track of--but not consciousness--the amount of blood being extracted from me for monitoring labs and research.  My first stop after executing fresh conset forms was the blood bank for an assessment of my tempramental deep veins for apheresis;  and without even sticking me, the nurses branded me unfit for another six months to a year, though with the encouragement that losing some fat (it's all aroumd my waist and my ass, I swear!) and adding even more muscle to my arms might help.  The EKG, chest ray and physical exam were uneventful, though I need exchange numbers and email with two different guys during various waits.  :o  Doing oral with the one in the bathroom there just seemed odd, so I passed.

The "career vampires" for the blood draws were even less pleased with me, as they knew that they had to get all of the prescribed blood out of me, and I insisted they take the fool-proof tactic of a pediatric needle in the back of my hand.  The unlucky tech started with the 50cc syringe for storage and worked from largest to smallest among the couple dozen glass tubes with a little prayer while swapping successive tubes.

Still, I got to work around lunchtime...oh, joy!....and blurted out the reason for my appointment to an inquiring co-worker.  I could tell she was sorry for asking, though within an hour she grasped the notion that I wasn't going to drop dead in the office or spread the disease.

Cheers,
David

P.S.  Besides tormeting lab workers, the best part of the visit was just getting onto the NIH campus.  Under the guise of security, patients drive through a side entrance to the grounds, have their cars swabbed for explosives, walk through a metal detector (forgetting the guns and ammo hidden in the vehicles) and get a temporary visitor sticker to wear.  The mostly British colonial ex-patriate staff of security people were atitter with reading my license plates, disbelieiving one another, then having me repeat the letters to them:  NANCBOY.  Just wait til I get the plates from my former second car back soon, POOFTER.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
Re: I bleed; therefore, I am
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 07:52:32 pm »
When I lived in Salt Lake City, Utah, Iplayed volleyball with a bunch of guys there. There wwere two guys on the team who were a couple. They tried to get a set of plates for one of their cars that read HOMO6UL, but the motor vehicle dept. shot it down. So they pondered for awhile and soon they were sporting  tags on their cars, one said NOFISH and the other one read NOTSTR8. Vanity tags can be sooooo interesting, no?

Capt.Carl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.