Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:34:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 636
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: EMERGENCY PEP  (Read 20745 times)

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
EMERGENCY PEP
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:45:35 pm »
Hi

Iam a bisexual man and had a hiv test in may 2017 which was clear. Since then I have had topped with a transvestite in amsterdam using a condom. On 2 other occasions I have tried to bottom but as I have a low pain treshold ive only managed to take a penis for a matte of seconds, both times protected with no ejeculation. Ive given and recieved blowjobs a number of times unprotected but never take ejeculate in my mouth.

Where the problem starts I its I have a female friend whom I had vaginal sex with on 3 occasions early last week with no protection (with her no ejeculation) as she knows shes is std free (due to complications with childbirth 2 years ago and not had sex in 2 years since without protection).

I know in hindsight this was stupid to not use a condom. My concrn now is 6 days later I am having aching legs and arms with a sore throat.

Could my previous bisexual events have made me infected with hiv? With having sex with her 3 times what is the likelyhood of infectiom?

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: EMERGENCY PEP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:01:39 pm »
Based on what you have posted specifically, your only risk was the unprotected vaginal sex with your female friend. Whilst the claim is that she hasn't had sex for 2 years and knows she is STD free, that is only anecdotal and it is up to you as to whether to believe that or not.

But that was your only risk event. The anal sex with men were protected so not a risk of HIV at all. The oral sex was negligible risk, but is not an event we encourage testing after as it is not an effective transmission route for the virus.

Symptoms are completely unreliable when it comes to HIV, with most people not experiencing any (or any that stand out as being something unusual). Generally these wouldn't start as quickly as 6 days and aching legs and sore throat are so general they could be due to a million different things that are common and mundane.

As you had unprotected sex, then an HIV test may be warranted despite the low risk with any result conclusive after 3 months.

Regardless of anything else, as you are sexually active it is smart to get routinely screened for all STI's - most of which are far easier to contract than HIV, and perhaps now would be a good time to have your first screening and try to have them yearly from now on. Being proactive about your sexual health will not only empower you but will reduce further anxiety about past events.

And please always wear a condom from now on.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:04:29 pm by CaveyUK »
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:15:07 am »
Thanks for your reply its appreciated.

I would be fairly sure my friend is correct on her std status. My concern was how quick I got these symptoms after we had 3 instances of unprotected vaginal sex. I wa also concerned about my past but luckily it was analy protected with no ejeculation.

In the worst case scenario how difficult would my unprotected sex with her have been tomeither catch or give her hiv if either of us had it bearing in mind I didnt ejeculate in her?

Im guessing its pointless of me to get tested until 3 months regardless? Ive read that any symtoms were too soon to appear until around 2 weeks which is anothr positive sign its unrelated I guess?

Thanks for your help

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 02:24:30 am »
You don't know and can't know your friends HIV status, even if she tested. There is no point guessing about her status, from a risk assessment point of view this is easy and simple, intercourse without protection is accepting a real world risk for HIV transmission and a greater risk for other easier to transmit STI's.

You had a risk from the unprotected intercourse and so testing would be advisable.
Guidelines are to test at 6 weeks past any incident and then at 13 weeks to confirm the result.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 03:13:46 am »
Thanks Jim from a fellow Dub. I agree the only way to tell is take the test but I will he to wait 5 weeks to be at the 6 week mark. Can I ask a few quick questions?

I had full STD testing in May 2017 and everything came back clear, Based on my play with guys prior to this current situation, in the scenarios listed in my oriniginal mail  I should have no or little rick I contracted hiv?

It is only 1 week today since I had unprotected intercourse with the girl. IF she had an infection is it fair to say the aches legs, sore throat and runny nose are not HIV related at this early stage? (Obviously this doesn’t mean I can’t have an infection but my current aches may not be related)

Would taking a rapid HIV test at this stage give any kind of tangeable result?

Generally, is it easy to be infected by unprotected vaginal sex or is HIV a difficult illness to pass?

I appreciate I’m asking a lot of questions which are not easy to answer so any guidance is appreciate.. it’s probably not even relevant but I have crohons disease (never had unprotected anal sex)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 04:07:16 am »
sore throat and runny nose

This never has anything to do with HIV regardless of someones HIV status. See your GP and treat whatever is making you or your friend sick.

I had full STD testing in May 2017 and everything came back clear, Based on my play with guys prior to this current situation, in the scenarios listed in my oriniginal mail  I should have no or little rick I contracted hiv?

based on what you have posted specifically, your only risk was the unprotected vaginal sex with your female friend.

from a risk assessment point of view this is easy and simple, intercourse without protection is accepting a real world risk for HIV transmission and a greater risk for other easier to transmit STI's.

Asked and answered already, CaveyUK has already answered this and so have I, the only HIV concern posted here was the unprotected intercourse with your friend. I'm not sure why you are focused on the activities with the  guys when they were no risk, its not who you do it with its how you do that is a risk or not.

Would taking a rapid HIV test at this stage give any kind of tangeable result?

3 months would be conclusive. Any negative result before than is a good sign but test as per guidelines.

Generally, is it easy to be infected by unprotected vaginal sex or is HIV a difficult illness to pass?

HIV is difficult to transmit however the main transmission route in adults is unprotected intercourse

All in all the only risk you had was the unprotected intercourse with you friend, its a real world risk and our advice is to test accordingly for HIV as per guidelines and also test for easier to transmit STI's whilst you are at it.

Take care

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 05:55:27 pm »
 Firstly thanks JimDublin and Caveyuk for your comments and support.

I am now around 11 days after the event and have developed some loose bowel movements and strangely a strong smell from.my urine along with still having sore muscles, throat and tiredness. I got a serious case of panic yesterday and went to  clinic for a Rapid HIV test and full STI test. I know a rapid HIV test is not really accurate at this stage but the nurse told me it was around 75 to 80% accurate and i would need to retest at 6 weeks. The test showed negative for HIV. She also advised the symptoms i have are highly unlikely to be caused by HIV.

I suppose my questions which i am probablt repeating again but in light of my Rapid HIV rest would like an opinion

1)   Would she be right that symptom’s starting between 3 and 11 days are highly unlikely to be HIV related considering i have 4 or so relevant symptoms?
2)   Even tho my Rapid test was done at 10 days would the test be a relatively good indication im negative?
3)   My previous sexual encounter to this was in Feb. Im sure my negative result now is sufficient based on the Feb incident?
4)   Are the symptoms unlikely to be HIV related in that time frame and are even some definetly unrelated?
5)   I have read contracting HIV from unprotected vaginal sex carries a risk of around 0.04 to 0.08%. Would this be correct?
6)   Based on those risk rates would it be fair to say its difficult to contract by this incident?
7) ive also read the stress of worrying about having being infected by HIV can actually cause the symptoms im worried about experincing. Do you think this is possible?

Obviously sex without a condom was a stupid mistake and i will never do this again. Apologies for all the questions but hopefully the answers will give myself some peace of mind and some guidance  for readers some important information.

Thanks you in advance and keep up.your amazing work and support

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 07:40:08 pm »
I am now around 11 days after the event and have developed some loose bowel movements and strangely a strong smell from.my urine along with still having sore muscles, throat and tiredness. I got a serious case of panic yesterday and went to  clinic for a Rapid HIV test and full STI test. I know a rapid HIV test is not really accurate at this stage but the nurse told me it was around 75 to 80% accurate and i would need to retest at 6 weeks. The test showed negative for HIV. She also advised the symptoms i have are highly unlikely to be caused by HIV.

I suppose my questions which i am probablt repeating again but in light of my Rapid HIV rest would like an opinion

1)   Would she be right that symptom’s starting between 3 and 11 days are highly unlikely to be HIV related considering i have 4 or so relevant symptoms?

You don't have '4 relevant symptoms'. Symptoms are completely unreliable when it comes to HIV with many not having any symptoms at all. The symptoms you mention are NOT indicative of HIV anyway, and are so general that I bet there will be someone else living on your street right now with the exact same 'symptoms'.

2)   Even tho my Rapid test was done at 10 days would the test be a relatively good indication im negative?

The general guideline is to test at risk 6 weeks post exposure and 3-months for conclusive. Earlier tests may pick up infection, but many not. So, whilst any negative test is good news the overall answer is no - you need the subsequent tests to confirm your status.

3)   My previous sexual encounter to this was in Feb. Im sure my negative result now is sufficient based on the Feb incident?

If you are talking about your (protected) sex with men, then it wasn't a risk in the first place. If you are referring to another episode of unprotected anal or vaginal sex, then it is academic really as the only conclusive test will be 3 months following the last instance of unprotected sex, which was 11 days ago.

4)   Are the symptoms unlikely to be HIV related in that time frame and are even some definetly unrelated?

Asked and answered.

5)   I have read contracting HIV from unprotected vaginal sex carries a risk of around 0.04 to 0.08%. Would this be correct?
6)   Based on those risk rates would it be fair to say its difficult to contract by this incident?

Transmission stats can be misleading. Yes, it is true that the transmission risk of female to male vaginal infection is low, but it does only take the 1 time as a number of people in this forum will testify to (including myself). HIV is actually a difficult virus to catch and even the highest sex-related transmission route (male to male, anally, as bottom) is also relatively low. The fact is - a risk is a risk, no matter how high or low.

Testing is smart. Yes, the odds are stacked in your favour so no point in freaking out, but it's worth getting to the point of a conclusive test as you can then move on with your life (either knowing you don't have HIV, or having treatment if you do). Either way, you will have a long and healthy life so no point in stressing needlessly.

7) ive also read the stress of worrying about having being infected by HIV can actually cause the symptoms im worried about experincing. Do you think this is possible?

Very possible. Anxiety can trigger just about every symptom going.

Please remember to get screened for all other STI's as well as HIV though, as most are MUCH more common and MUCH easier to catch.

Just a final word on repeatedly asking the same questions. It is frowned upon here and whilst I tend to be quite laid back, you don't want to upset Jim with his angry-Irish-banning-stick, so please refrain from posting questions which have already been answered. The bottom line with you is that your MSM stuff wasn't a risk, your unprotected vaginal sex was a risk and to prove conclusively HIV negative you need to test out to 3 months. Your symptoms are irrelevant really.

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 07:51:46 pm »
Thanks for your reply CaveyUK. I do appreciate repeatedly asking the same question is frowned upon but rest assured i was asking to be troublesome. It was meerly as my own information or testing had changed.

All advice is appreciated and apologies to anyone if im being annoying

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 09:05:04 am »
I have one final question and while it might seem like im asking the same thing, maybe its down to a lack ofnunderstand.

As i said i took a rapid hiv test which came back negative (the nurse did day it was only 75% accurate at this early stage).

I know symptoms are an unreliable way to presume ive had infection but is it fair to believe that if the rapid test is to see presence of antibodies, then there is a good possibility of one of thr below scenarios

1) the test is negative because there i am actually negstive?

2) the test hasnt show antobodies yet as the infection hasnt shown a high enough infection (yet) which also shows the symptoms im worried ive had are not related to a possible infection.

Again sorry if my questions looks the same phrased differently. Its not my intention to annoy anyone especially you Jim or Cavey

I am due again in 4 weeks for a 6 week test so regardless will be following up for more conclusive results

Something i am aware of is i may have had somd of these symptoms over the past months years during a time in which i had no hiv risk as i also have Crohons Disease which can cause some of these symptoms. I also have had a stressful time in work the past few months so there are possible other causes. I may well have these symptoms and not taken much notice but have just paniced now due to my possible exposure risk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:10:39 am by Johnnyhdublin »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 09:18:35 am »
Crohons Disease makes no difference, and testing early is not conclusive but any negative result meaning hiv antibodies are not present is a good sign

all in all you had a risk from the unprotected intercourse and so testing would be advisable.

Guidelines are to test at 6 weeks past any incident and then at 13 weeks to confirm the result,  so any test results post 6-weeks is unlikely to change kust test at 3 months for a conclusive result.

Your symptoms have nothing to do with hiv, if they did the test would already have been positive as symptoms in initial hiv infections is caused by the immune system response not hiv.

Nothing you do will change the results and stressing about the results is pointless.

Test when due and move on with your life!

Jim

P.S

Stop asking irrelevant or already answered questions. Excessive posting will lead to a time out
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:21:57 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 09:21:56 am »
Thanks Jim.

Hopefully all will be well. Fully appreciate the amazing work you do here.

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 09:03:44 am »

Firstly, i want to praise you for the work you do here. Your knowledge, patience and support are a great help for the many users online.

I know my question maybe a little dumb but please bear with me as fear does not always drive common sense!!

I had my last STD testing in May and all my results came back clear thank god. Since then i have given oral sex to men (no ejeculate in mouth but possibly precum) and women. Ive had protected vaginal sex with 2 women and no anal sex at all with guys or girls.

I know symptoms are not a way to diagnose HIV but i am suffering with a sore throat, runny/blocked nose, mild headache and mild muscle pain for the past week.

I know giving oral sex is considered low risk but i have 3 questions. Sorry if their dumb

1) I know you state someone is not at high risk giving a blowjob unless they have gaping wounds or meth mouth. Im not sure what either would be defined as. I get bleeding gums when i bush my teeth so if i had precum relatively soon after brushing my teeth is this a likely route for infection?

2) If i was giving a woman oral sex and she was relatively close to her period (I would never ask a woman this question as its very personal and none of my business), could any potential fluids / blood cause infection? Ive not had the experience as far as i know its just a general question as one lady had quite thick fluid during oral.

3) Ive had no fever or rash so i truly think my symtoms are simple head cold. Would you beleive on my mail that i have no real chance of infection and more testing is not necessary?

Apologies if my questions are offensive or annoying and thanks in advance

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 09:45:09 am »
I know giving oral sex is considered low risk but i have 3 questions. Sorry if their dumb

No, giving a BJ is a near negligible risk and other oral activities are simply no risk.

As in meth mouth and even with such gaping open or bleeding holes in your mouth its rated as near negligible concern

The virus is very fragile, and your mouth has dozens of protein and enzymes that damage the virus and rendering it unable to infect. So even with holes in you head , there is no need to run test every time you give a blow job, its such a near negligible concern, just get tested the next time you are due for a regular checkup and fully expect a negative result.

Brushing your teeth and a bit of bleeding is not an issue.

No unless she had pints of it pouring out and in some mad event and vacuum sealed sucking event you drank a few pints with large bleeding holes of your own in your head, so if that highly unlikely event happened I doubt you will be the first human to be verified infected from this but than I default to my answer on Q1 and that simple boils down to move on with your life.

I believe you need to stop looking at "symptoms" every poster in the "AM I" section has so called symptoms  ;) Truth is most common symptoms is none at all or not noticeable and nothing you posted warrants early testing.

Simply move on and test whenever regularly due, stop trying to think up new ways of being at risk when your not

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 09:54:48 am »
Look here is what you need to know about cunnilingus and for a multitude of reasons no matter what "What ifs" you have its simply never going to be anything close to a "near negligible" concern like giving a guy a blowjob.

HIV via cunnilingus, see the fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, this is a lubricating fluid and does not have any more hiv present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears.
Saliva, sweat and tears are not infectious fluids.

Keep in mind that HIV firstly needs to be present for it to be a risk and in sufficient quantity for it to transmit, it also than needs an effective route,
and it must also reach cells which are susceptible to infection.

Simple Cunnilingus does not meet the biological requirements.  On top of that your "what if" blood well keep in mind there is the role that the environment has when preforming Cunnilingus as any fluids exposed outside the body to the environment are not HIV infectious, saliva is a barrier and your mouth simply lacks the cells to infect and than there is quantity barrier as its mixed with other fluids and even a bit of pure blood is not going to overcome the barriers or infect you.

You will simply not be the worlds first to be verified to have been infected this way so relax and stop worrying about women. Just use a condom when having intercourse with them, that is about it.

Jim

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 09:58:26 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 10:19:46 am »
Thanks for your frank and detailed answers. As i said, my question may have beem dumb!!

Much appreciated support and keep up the amazing work.

From one Dub to another

Go raibh maith agat

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 01:50:21 pm »
I know this ia possible not the correct forum for this question but you mods have great knowledge so here it goes!!

Obviously as stated i enjoying giving blowjobs and understand the act is near neglible.

My question is on safety. Ive never let a guy cum in my mouth as i have had the fear of hiv infection should they be positive.

Is it still near neglible if they cum in my mouth and wouls it be safer to swallow imediately or spit imediately?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but forearmed ia forewarned i suppose!

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 01:52:02 pm »
Or would the advice be to not take ejuculate in my mouth at all for maximum safety. Sorry again

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 02:07:04 pm »
Obviously as stated i enjoying giving blowjobs and understand the act is near neglible

You have answered your own question. Whatever you add to the situation about blowjobs the answer is going to be the same.

Understand that worst case scenario is the default presumption when we give risk assessments.

Is it still near neglible if they cum in my mouth and wouls it be safer to swallow imediately or spit imediately?

Near negligible is presuming semen and/or pre-ejaculate is in contact with the inside of your mouth, back of the mouth/throat.   

So spit or swallow no difference in reality when discussing HIV as the stomach does not give any route or chance whatsoever.  I would not like to comment on the other easier to transmit STIs and swallowing, that is another forum altogether.

Look stop focusing on this, its unhealthy. You have an assessment done and nothing you think up off is going to be new to me or not taken into account when we told you its near negligible and it does not warrant testing over it, just test whenever you are next normally due a check up.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:10:10 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 02:19:16 pm »
The best advice I can give you is if you keep worrying about HIV from near negligible concerns take PrEP, its a daily pill that offers an additional layer of protection from HIV.

HIV ireland have information on PrEP in Ireland including links to pharmacists that stock it.

https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/prevention/prep-2/prep-map/
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 02:31:37 pm »
Thanks Jim i do understand there are other stis which can be caught i suppose mt big concern is hiv because most others can be cured.

You may have a great point about looking into PrEP. I will look into this. Out of curiosity is it expensive to buy or ia it covered under the DPS scheme in Ireland? I would guess its not covered knowing the HSE pal!

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 02:33:52 pm »
Actually got all the info from your link. Thanks Jim

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 03:52:35 pm »
You're welcome.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 08:55:08 am »
Hi Guys,

Im probably overthinking but here it goes.

I visited an escort yesterday and had protected vaginal intercourse with her including me cuming inaide her.

When i withdrew from her i noticed a small amount of blood near the top of the condom but it appeared the condom was intact with sperm in the tip.

I didnt try filling it with water or deeply inspect the condom but believe it was ok. As im fairly irrational at times (jimdublin can probably confirm by previous posts) i will add a few factors

1) i had brought my own condom but the escort insisted we use hers which i recall she openeing from a new sealed box. I have this stupid fear of someone putting pinholes to purposely infect you but her not allowing me use mine would lead me to think she was afraid of the same thing from me!

2) She performed oral on me first WITH the condom which leads me to believe she is as concerned with catching something from me!

3) A small part of blood on the outside of the condom after sex isnt something to worry about?

Sorry if this sounds crazy but im a panicer.

Should i consider PEP as i am only 24hrs post event or is that massively overkill?

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2018, 09:29:28 am »
To add and more of a question, while at home last night and reading online that condoms shred to leave no doubt they failed, i put a thumb tack through the center of a condom, masturbated quite vigoursly and when finished i filled with water and to my surprise i had abaolutely no leakeage which had me scratching my head??

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 10:28:27 am »
Hiya

Stop messing around with condoms thinking it means anything or that your hand somehow is the same stress as actually fucking someone or calibrated laboratory conditions & stress testing as it's not!

You had protected intercourse, as long as the condom did not shred you have no logical reason to worry, and need to move on with your life. Nothing you mentioned here is any HIV concern whatsoever and I doubt you and this sex worker will be front line Sunday news anytime in the future ... Do you understand what I am saying?

No need for PEP, no need to test, no need to stress, put it behind you already. Contuine to use condoms for any intercourse no exceptions and test out of standard routine at least yearly like every sexually active adult should for HIV and far easier to transmit STI's.

I'll say this again, the best advice I can give you is if you keep having irrational fears about HIV consider takeing PrEP going forward, its a daily pill that offers an additional layer of protection from HIV

Also a therapist to help you with your irrational fears might be worth looking into.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:31:00 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 10:35:32 am »
Thanks Jim as usual for your frank and direct answer. The condom seemed fully intact it was just the sign of blood made me think.

I did consider using Prep but its just not something i can afford monthly and while its a small price conpared to contracting hiv, i never have unprotected intercourse, only oral.

I do agree i could see a therapist but ive had a lot of change in my life recently including the loss of a parent so my mental state isnt particularly good anyway.

I had a recent full std screening last week which was 14 weeks after my last sexual (protected) encounter which came back clear for any sti/std.

As i said im a panicer by nature and only in the past 2 yeara have really started to become obsessed with the fear of hiv.

Appreciate your support and amazing work you do here Jim

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 10:58:19 am »
I do agree i could see a therapist but ive had a lot of change in my life recently including the loss of a parent so my mental state isnt particularly good anyway.

Really sorry to hear about your recent loss. Wishing you strength during this time.

That said even more reason to talk to your GP next week, I know they are generally pretty fucking useless in Ireland however if you talk to a GP about how you are feeling about this loss and coping (in this case not) with your HIV angst they can help and also recommend a good therapist depending on your needs.

I had a recent full std screening last week which was 14 weeks after my last sexual (protected) encounter which came back clear for any sti/std.

As i said im a panicer by nature and only in the past 2 yeara have really started to become obsessed with the fear of hiv

Good however testing over nothing all the time is not a healthy or a sustainable way of coping.

You need to be able to have sex and simply move on without fears, and instead be relaxed engough to test out of standard routine instead of irrational irrelevant fear.

Look a lot of LGBT community members I know who are taking PrEP are buying online and having it delivered to Ireland and working with GP's for the routine check-ups It's what about 25 euro a month, example:

https://www.iwantprepnow.co.uk/buy-prep-now/

No offense intended but I'll be honest my thinking is if you can afford the odd session with a sex worker in Ireland than you can afford it pay for PrEP. Think about it and if you do decide to go with PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV going forward talk first to the clinc or if not possible then a GP.

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 11:13:09 am »
Absolutely no offence taken Jim and your right. I didnt realise it was possible to get prep for around €25 per month as the last i read it was around €160 per month. If ive read incorrecrly than this changes my view.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 12:46:56 pm »
You're welcome, the 160+ per month is HSE as they only have the brand product vs generic band when it comes to PrEP
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2018, 03:17:19 pm »
Thats the HSE for you!! Greedy

Thanks Jim

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 03:56:02 pm »
Hi All,

I have a question on risk exposure.

7 weeks ago I had sex with a guy where I was the insertive partner. I wore a condom and used lube. We had sex for around 15 mins and stopped as I couldn't ejeculate. When I checked the condom (visually) the condom looked to be perfectly fine.

Since then I have hard oral sex with 2 guys and did not let either ejeculate in my mouth. I was fingered by both.

I know symptoms aren't a way to determine infection but I have felt sickly the past week.

Is there any concern from the activities above? If the condom failed it would be obvious right?  If the guy had precum on his finger when fingering me is it a hiv Risk?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 04:31:24 pm »
Johnny

Don't post outside this thread.

Fingering does not lead to HIV transmission and, you had intercourse with a condom. Now as long as it didn't obviously shred during the act of intercourse there is no reason to stress over this encounter.

Move on with your life, continue to use condoms, consider using PrEP as well and test like every sexual active adult should at least yearly for HIV and STI's
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 04:35:57 pm »
Hi

I would like some feedback on my potential risks I may have had.

6/7 weeks ago I had anal sex with a guy as the Insertive (top) and used a condom and plenty of lube. After 15 mins I was unable to ejeculate so we stopped and I checked the condom visually and it seemed perfectly fine. I tried to bottom but and with lube/condom as soon as the guy tried to insert I stopped him as it was too painful. So both instances with condom.

On 2 occasions since then I have had mutual oral with guys and on both occasions the guys fingered/rimmed me.

In the past week or so I have felt fairly sickly and while in Belgium last week I got some hard red lumps appear on my back, legs and hip. I'm fairly sure these are mosquito bites to be honest but as usual I am putting 1 and 1 together and getting 20. I know symtoms mean nothing but was concerned as I've had muscle aches, headaches, exhaustion and these lumps.

My question is on the scenarios above

1) I'm guessing if the condoms failed it would be obvious.

2) if either guy had precum on their fingers when fingeringnme (I don't think they had) is this a HIV Risk?

Thanks in advance

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 04:40:52 pm »
@Jim - Apologies for the double post I thought the other was deleted so resubscribed

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 04:46:08 pm »
No prob.

Just post here going forward saves me from having to merge and move stuff around
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 04:50:06 pm »
Cheers.

So all in all it would be obvious if the condom failed to the point it could have been unprotected and fingerings even if there could be precum on the finger is not a concern?

Apologies again I'm sure you can see by my thread I'm a worrier

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 05:32:40 pm »
Correct.

Look if anything of what you had posted was any HIV concern I would have been the first to tell to test.

It's not, relax move on with your life

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2019, 05:46:18 pm »
Thanks Jim and again your support on this forum amazing to countless people. Hope to bump into you in Dublin someday and buy you a beer!

Out of curiousity in Ireland are HIV exposures increasing or has the rate of new contractions started to decline in recent years? Are we as nation more aware and safer?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2019, 06:12:07 pm »
Hmmm well as a nation we are totally fucked.
Bad education and years of underfunding.

Week 32 2019 HSE report, is showing 310 new HIV cases whilst last year this time it was 300 and last year ended with a record high year for the state 531 cases total

STI rates are at record highs as well with many testing at an advanced (late) stage of HIV infection.  Ireland’s rate of new diagnoses is about 10.2 per 100,000 people in 2018, while the European average is 6.2 per 100,000.

In addition STI clincs are so overwhelmed they are sending people away weekly instead of testing them as it's reached breaking point

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/record-hiv-diagnosis-rates-a-crisis-say-campaigners-906815.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/hiv-sti-clinic-dublin-4685437-Jun2019/

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2019, 06:20:13 pm »
Jesus that's alarming. Almost double the EU average  and averaging 10 new HIV positive patients per week.

They are scary statistics. Knowing this government they have no interest in tackling the problem so it's even more incredibly important that places like poz forums are educating people. Im sure the cost of the HIV medication is expensive in Ireland too so. Wouldn't surprise me if the government aren't tackling the problem as they know how much money can be made on medication

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2019, 06:33:14 pm »
What's even more scary is the population of Ireland has only increased by 0.5% compared to 2018 but the rate of STI/STD infection has increased by Almost 20% vs 2018!

That is startling

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2019, 06:36:27 pm »
HIV treatment/care is free to the patient, so it's just a cost to the state although if we tested everyone it would be cheaper to treat them all now as we would know early before they get sick and before they pass it on, in addition with treatment it would mean they can no longer sexual pass it. See https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71864.0

The problem is complex here as it includes fixing decades of bad behaviour including the consequences of ignoring warnings & concerns about our poor substandard (Catholic) sex education in schools and, allowing ethos to continue to dictate education whilst it also in part due to our closed-minded attitudes towards sex particularly safer sex and anything outside of hetero-sex is not really discussed openly, this is compounded by clinics without the funding needed and barely any rural facilities

I could go on for hours but like I said it's complex and I don't see it changing anytime soon

Jim
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:00:54 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2020, 04:20:08 pm »
Hi Guys,

I met a guy I've had a casual oral relationship with for a year or so earlier today (I know in these covid times this was dumb).

During this he rimmed me and we performed oral sex on each other.

My concern is not just the unprotected oral.

I agreed to bottom for him and he performed anal sex on me with a condom and plenty of lube. During the sex he changed the condom as it has become a little bit lose. We stopped after awhile because he was unable to cum and I had started to get sore. It visually appeared that both times the condom was fully intact.

I am generally a worrier so just looking for some reassurance since this was with condom and no ejeculation. Also on the unprotected oral

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2020, 04:40:04 pm »
Hiya,

HIV can't transmit through an intact latex or polyurethane condom. If a condom fails during the act of intercourse it's obvious. There is no reason to be stressing or testing outside of standard routine as long as this obvious issue did not happen.

As for giving a blowjob, we have covered this topic before,it's such a near negligible HIV concern that we don't even recommend specifically testing over it. Rimming and getting a blowjob are no HIV risks.

Finally, when you do go in for your next routine STI screening talk to them about PrEP, taking PrEP would offer an additional layer of protection against HIV going forward and prehaps peace of mind.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2020, 04:46:30 pm »
Look a lot of LGBT community members I know who are taking PrEP are buying online and having it delivered to Ireland and working with GP's for the routine check-ups It's what about 25 euro a month, example:

https://www.iwantprepnow.co.uk/buy-prep-now/

Think about it and if you do decide to go with PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV going forward talk first to the clinc or if not possible then a GP.

Jim

The best advice I can give you is if you keep worrying about HIV from near negligible concerns take PrEP, its a daily pill that offers an additional layer of protection from HIV.

HIV ireland have information on PrEP in Ireland including links to pharmacists that stock it.

https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/prevention/prep-2/prep-map/

Ill add to what I posted before the below:

https://man2man.ie/getting-prep-online/

https://www.sexualwellbeing.ie/sexual-health/prep/where-to-get-prep/
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2020, 04:46:50 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance Jim. I'm 100% certain there was no condom damage as you said it's obvious. We stopped a nunber of times to ass more lube so it would have been spotted if there was during thr act. I'm sure the fact he did no ejeculate either should settle me even more but I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to common sense situations.

He was a little rough with me so maybe this is why I'm over thinking too.

I know the condoms were new because I bought them today (durex extra safe)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2020, 04:48:50 pm »
You're welcome.

Look do consider the PrEP and continue to use condoms for any intercourse, test out of routine at least yealry for STI's & HIV.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2020, 04:56:07 pm »
Jim I know you recommended prep before. To be totally honest the reason I can't (or believe I can't) take this option is I share the same doctor and pharmacy with my ex wife and due to our medication needs we still share the same DPS scheme.

If she somehow became aware of me using prep it would raise a lot of trouble and question about my sexual preferences as I am not openly bisexual. My family are not the type of people who would support my choices and I'm positive they would not be supportive.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:58:20 pm by Johnnyhdublin »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2020, 12:00:10 am »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear your family would not be supportive if they knew about your sexual orientation. There are options to obtain PrEP that don't go through the HSE.

Anyhow, do keep using condoms for any intercourse, no exceptions and test out of standard routine at least yealry for STI's and HIV.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.