Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:19:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 190
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Am i at Risk for HIV or STI's & when do i test if so?  (Read 11391 times)

Offline spectrumvibgyor

Am i at Risk for HIV or STI's & when do i test if so?
« on: September 06, 2007, 04:09:16 am »
Well i've been travelling & earlier today in India (here for a conference) some of my friends coaxed into going with them to a sleazy massage parlour...i shouldn't have gone, but i did..after their repeated talk about it being safe & all that!!!

The girl who gave me the massage seemed to have pretty roughish hands & there were some abrasions & scars on them..but no bleeding cuts i may add. I did check on that before she started the massage. (atleast they weren't visible to the naked eye)

She applied some cream & rubbed me all over & then gave me a hand job till i came thorough. She also massaged me completely in around the pubic & anal region, without inserting her fingers ofcourse....Before she did the handjob she rubbed her hands on some wet towel, & then performed it. Does this pose a risk of HIV infection if there were some vaginal secretions of hers on that towel. ((Want to state here that there was no sex of any kind.....just a hand job!!!))

Also could you tell me whether HIV in vaginal secretions or blood can survive in wet towels for longer than when hiv is normally exposed to the air...

I'm also concerned that i had lied down on a mattress which may have been used by somebody else earlier as many men frequent this place i've heard. & i dunno whether any dried semen/sperm of their's would have been on the mattress & it would have come in contact with my naked body or parts of it which i'm sure have a few pimples & cuts here & there? coz there were some white patches on the sheet of the brown mattress.

Also risk of any other STI's..........i take solace from the fact that it was only a massage center & the girls there i was told would not provide sex even if somebody offered them more for their services & a hand job is the only point till which they would go!!!

Has there ever been a factual case that has been proven & documented where HIV transmission has occured with a handjob????

1. For risk of Herpes, well i did not see any herpes on her fingers except some skin marks, but they didn't look like any lesions to me, just some regular skin marks you find when somebody has done a lot of work with their hands.

2. Is there a risk for syphillis from this incident & if so what's the correct time to get a VDRL test for it?

3. Would there be any other STI related tests that i need to do?

4. For HIV transmission to occur through hand jobs would the person who has performed it need to have openly bleeding cuts for any infection to happen????

well i heard that STI's can pass on thru skin-skin contact & that's why i was worried.......maybe then it has to be skin contact with an infected area?????

& yeah HIV a possibilty ??? even though her hands had some ol' nicks & the fact that the sheets of the mattress would have had dried semen of somebody else on it which would have come in touch with my skin or my anal opening when i lied down on it???

I'm really scared, Please enlighten me with your views & help me out.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Am i at Risk for HIV or STI's & when do i test if so?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:13:02 am »
Read the lessons on transmission. You can find the link in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:16:32 am »
Well I did & i don't find any info on handjobs & the cuircumstances i was faced with, & that is why i have posted here, so what is you analysis after reading my case?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 04:19:03 am »
You were never at risk with the situation that you provided.

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 04:24:42 am »
Thanx!!! I was kinda worried the girl at the massage joint, did use the rest room before she came to me & started her service, i mean the restroom was in the same cabin & i was worried she would have used the same wet towel to wipe herself off in the pubic region which may have resulted in vaginal secretions geting on to them. She touched the towel & so did i. As she was massaging me even i touched my penis & i've been paranoid that i may have contracted something??

if HiV is a non-issue what about other StI's, any possibilities there?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 04:30:38 am »
This is an HIV forum not an STD forum.

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 04:34:43 am »
Okay thanx so much for letting me know i was worried!!!

Even if i did test you'd say then that the HIV test would come back negative??? & where can i access some info on STI's????

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:47:15 am »
I'm basically worried about the fact that i may develop symptoms & it will make my mind refer to this incident & make me feel that i may have contacted something...so would you certainly say that i wouldn't have to worry & go about my routine??

I'm travelling on work & i know there are other issues i need to deal with, especially stop looking for satisfaction from these types of places & i plan to get the counselling i need when i get home soon!

Just wanted to know in the meantime whether i had any risk that's all & that's the reason i'm posting here!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 05:03:37 am »
spec,

Rodney has already told you that you were not at risk for hiv during your massage. You weren't at risk for any other STI either.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

While you DO NOT need to be tested over your massage, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 04:28:54 am »
1 week after the massage, i have developed weakness, elevated body temp & loose bowel......could this be any worrying signs of some infection picked up, if not HIV.

I really did check the girl's hands & there weren't any cuts....the only other thing that bothered me was the possibility of secretions or blood on the wet towel, which was red in color & if there was any blood it wouldn't have been visible easily.....

Do i need to think about any tests.....i don't mean to trouble the busy experts here but just need the reassurance to move on!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:31:09 am by spectrumvibgyor »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 04:55:00 am »
Do i need to think about any tests.....i don't mean to trouble the busy experts here but just need the reassurance to move on!

As you have been told you do not need to test. Consider yourself reassured and feel free to move on.

MtD

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 01:38:47 pm »
So you just don't c any risk with the towel coming into play even if it had blood or vaginal secretions....kinda feel weak thinking about the incident everytime & that's why i've been posting about it!

Thanx everybody!!!! i'm gonna move on!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 02:26:32 pm »
spec,

No, there IS NO RISK with the towel coming into play even if it had blood or vaginal secretions. No risk. None. Nada.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 02:21:23 am »
Hi everyone, Just wanted to say, i've almost put the incident about 90% behind me & have been feeling a whole lot better, even though i've been having irritable symptoms of bowel & body temperature.....You must know that before i got onto this site, my knowledge about HIV transmission was pretty low.

I would like to know whether the presence of a infectious body fluid is compulsory for any chance of transmission to occur in the first place!!!!. In my case there was no fluid from her hands, only fluid that could have been present on the towel as it was wet.....that was my only concern??? I'm not here trying to question the advise that's been given to me, i've accepted my risk was Low - Non existant, But gathering some knowledge will be useful for future care & prevention!!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 07:14:05 am »
I would like to know whether the presence of a infectious body fluid is compulsory for any chance of transmission to occur in the first place!!!!.

Spec,

Of course there does! How do you think it happens? It happens when infectious bodily fluids are transferred while INSIDE the body, as in anal or vaginal intercourse. Read the Transmission Lesson linked to in the Welcome Thread. You were asked to read this when you first came here, so get reading.

You didn't have a risk. While you're in the Welcome thread, make sure you read the posting guidelines, including this one:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

You didn't have a risk. Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 10:46:31 am »
Thanx Ann, just needed the info to get things straight in my head.....worried abou th if's & but's i guess....

Cheers to everyone!!!

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 02:22:26 pm »
Hi i wasn't really gasping at straws, but actually gasping.....from around the 2 week mark, till now which is the 3.5 week mark after the massage incident i've developed symptoms.....Have been feeling a general weakness, facial heat, slightly elevated Body temperature & sometime breathlessness....Now there aren't any rashes or swollen glands but i'm worried whether this could be ARS, especially the timing of the symptoms..which has been around between the 2 - 4 weeks after the massage incident...Is there any possibility that i may have contracted HIV or some other infection, when that girl gave me a massage or when i sat or lied down on the massage table, which may have had seminal secretions of others with my thigh downwards being exposed to it!!! I'm going crazzzy because of the symptoms Please help me!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 04:30:10 pm »
You need to take some nice deep and slow breaths in and out right now. I'm not kidding. DO IT! Now! And again everytime you're feeling anxious.

You've been well, truly and repeatedly advised that you weren't at risk for HIV. It doesn't seem to matter how often you're told that because you just come back with more symptoms.

We're talking feelings here and not facts. If you have troublesome physical symptoms you need to discuss them with your doctor. As for your anxiety, that's something to discuss with a counselor, therapist or other professional and get some support about what's going on emotionally. We can't help you with that here.

We've done what we can do for you.

Andy Velez

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 04:48:39 am »
Thanx for the response Andy, just that the symptoms play wierd games on one's mind!!!

Is there any possibility that i may have contracted HIV or some other infection, when that girl gave me a massage or when i sat or lied down on the massage table, which may have had seminal secretions of others with my thigh downwards being exposed to it??

So you would say the above thought in italics is just almost baseless & there has never been an incident of HIV transmission that has occured this way!!!

& i've also been told from handjobs the only possibility would be if the person  had blood dripping off some massive open wound on their hand and vigeriously rubbed your penis and managed somehow to get it inside the tip of your penis or their hand was coated in vaginal fluids or semen and did the same, manged to force it inside your body.. & the chances of this happening are rare & we would be fully aware if it did happen....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 05:11:48 am »
Spec,

We understood what your incident was all about the first time you wrote to us. You did not have a risk for hiv infection. None at all. Zero. Zip. Nada. No risk.

If hiv were so easily transmitted, then those of us who are hiv positive would have to live in isolation. We don't and we don't infect those who live with us either. We sleep in the same beds with our hiv negative partners and raise our hiv negative children without transmitting the virus to them - and the ONLY precaution we must take against transmission is to use condoms for intercourse with our sexual partners.

Now take your symptoms to your doctor and find out what is really going on. It's nothing to do with hiv. You had NO RISK.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 07:35:24 am »
Well i guess i'm gonna do just that, have slated a doc's appoitment for the earliest date available....what got me worried was that i've developed a kind of wierd skin rash in the right side of my penis on the skin there & all these symptoms have been happening within the 2 - 4 weeks mark which got me worried about ARS.....but this doesn't sound like ARS does it now that we've analysed that the incident was NO risk no matter what???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 07:40:18 am »
Spec,

NO, you were NOT at risk for hiv infection. However, you may have picked up one of the other, more easily transmitted sexual infections. Keep your appointment with your doctor and show him that rash. Whatever is going on, it's not hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spectrumvibgyor

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 07:48:08 am »
Thanx for the advise.....but i'm worried about the STI that i MAY have picked..it's more like a dryish skin rash, not boils...like lets say some abrasions...do you think it's curable?????

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 08:28:12 am »
Spec,

We cannot possibly diagnose your rash over the internet. You'll have to show it to a doctor.

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you would have read the following:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Take your rash to your doctor. We cannot help you with it here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.