Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:27:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 192
Total: 193

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Exposure, Negative at 3 Months, Faint line at 4 months  (Read 19092 times)

Offline Dx300

• Standard
Exposure, Negative at 3 Months, Faint line at 4 months
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:51 pm »
I would greatly appreciate the moderators opinion on my situation. I engaged in unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse on 7/6/13. About two weeks later I developed non bacterial prostatis that showed no bacterial infection that cleared a month later. 7 weeks later I came down with a short 3 days cold followed by a constant dull ache in my buttock muscles for around another 2 months. Around the 7th week post exposure I came to learn that the woman I engaged in sex with was HIV positive. She claimed she has been on antivirals for around 9 months and was undetectable but seeing as she didnt tell me initially I question the validity in this. At 7, 8 and 11 weeks I tested negative on Unigold Rapid tests and tested negative at 11 and 13 weeks on a HIV1/2 elisa that was run in a laboratory. I decided to confirm this result with and oraquick oral swab at 16 weeks and it can me back with a very faint partial line. Alarmed I took another Unigold Rapid test with blood that came back negative the same day. I have had blood sent away for a confirmation test but again had another faint line on another oraquick oral test the next day. Both of the oral tests were home tests. Besides the cold I have also had a flare in seborrheic dermatitis that started around week 8 that I have to my knowledge never had before. Obviously I have been extremely stressed over this whole situation and am hoping that this stress is what is flaring these issues. My question is how much stock should I put into these two faintly positive oraquick oral tests considering I have had a "conclusive" negative Elisa at 90 days along with negative blood tests at 7,8, and 11 weeks. I might also add that I have taken several other oral oraquick test that have come back negative between 13 and 16 weeks. And thoughts on whether or not I am infected would b greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Exposure, Negative at 3 Months, Faint line at 4 months
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 12:13:52 am »
You are conclusively HIV negative and you do not need to test anymore . You do not have HIV .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dx300

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:22:45 am »
Jeff,

First let me say thank you for all the hard work and selfless devotion you and the other moderators on this site devote to idiots such as myself.

It just seems the likelihood of having two false positives is very slim given my confirmed exposure. Unless the oraquick test just doesn't like my chemistry Im finding it hard to hold out hope.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:44:25 am »
You 90 day negative Elisa is the one to rely on and it was negative . If you don't trust the test result you can go to a testing center and retest at any time if nothing more than peace of mind . I would fully expect a negative result .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dx300

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:51:29 am »
Thanks for your expertise Jeff. I really hope you are right. I will inform you of my results in the next few days.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 01:03:58 am »
You are welcome !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dx300

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »
Update:

I received my blood work back. They did a 3rd gen HIV 1/2 Elisa and it came back non reactive. They would not do a western blot stating that they needed their Elisa to come back repeatedly reactive before they would order the reflex WB.

So good new I guess right? Wrong. I wanted to ease my mind and decided to take another oral oraquick and again I get another faint grey line. I just can't understand how an oraquick can pick it up but a lab based Elisa can't.

So today I decided to order another Elisa with a different lab and a HIV PCR test. It has been over 4 months since exposure and the discordant results between my lab based Elisa's and these over the counter oraquicks s driving me insane.

Does anybody have any comments or advice on this situation? Is my PCR going to come back positive on Friday?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 04:40:22 pm »
Oraquicks are, like any test, imperfect.  They are geared towards sensitivity as opposed to specificity. Meaning they are more likely to give a false positive (which, again, is what that faint line represents) than a false negative. Better for containing a pandemic to do it that way, would you not agree?

And sadly, some people (there have been maybe a few dozen in the ten years or so I have been answering questions on this forum have a quirk in their body chemistry that Will often if not always register a faint line. For those people, more comprehensive blood-basd test is required for peace of mind - but most professional people familiar with the test will at least consider the notion of a false negative rather than catching someone in the very act of seroconverting.

Were you actually seroconverting when that first faint line appeared, it would have absolutely have been definitive by now. And, of course, your other tests have ruled out HIV infection.

This was always one of my biggest issues with the over the counter Oraquick testing. But it was decided that the needs of the many outweigh the genetic outliers of the few. And you appear to be one of those few.

Proceed however you feel you need in order to get your peace of mind. But I have every confidence in your negative status. I hope someday soon you are able to say the same.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Dx300

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:38 pm »
Thanks for your advice and dedication jkinatl2. I really appreciate it.

In your opinion which test is more accurate and more likely to not miss an infection where one is present, the lab based EIA or the oral oraquick?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 05:23:19 pm »
Thanks for your advice and dedication jkinatl2. I really appreciate it.

In your opinion which test is more accurate and more likely to not miss an infection where one is present, the lab based EIA or the oral oraquick?

I would give more weight to a lab based test for weeding out false positives, but the oral Oraquick remains one of the finest and most accurate tests used today to detect those who are actually positive.

Assuming of course, that it is taken correctly and at the right testing window.

One of my bigest beefs with the OTC Oraquick is that it is actually being used by individuals (and groups) as a flash-test directly before engaging in unprotected anal or vaginal sex. Of course, this completely negates the value of the test since a newly infected individual might have a soaring viral load yet not test positive on the antibody test.

Evidence is pointing to that group of people leading transmission rates within the gay community. We are designing better mouse traps, but educating the mice remains a dilemna.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Dx300

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 05:28:19 pm »
Would you recommend demanding a western blot from a doctor or are my subsequent non reactive EIAs good enough in regards to my situation. (4 months post confirmed exposure)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 08:49:27 pm »
Would you recommend demanding a western blot from a doctor or are my subsequent non reactive EIAs good enough in regards to my situation. (4 months post confirmed exposure)

If you genuinely don't think you can move on with the tests you have, then by all means. I don't think it necessary, but this really isn't about what is necessary - it is about what will help you move past this.

One piece of advice however. For whatever reasons, you are not the best candidate for the over the counter Oraquick testing.

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 07:59:25 am »
DX,

You don't have hiv. It's time you moved on with your life.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dx300

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:41 am »
Are the oraquicks considered more sensitive than a lab based EIA? Is there a chance that the EIA wasn't sensitive enough to react?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 11:11:48 am »
DX,

NO.

DX,

You don't have hiv. It's time you moved on with your life.

Ann

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dx300

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 07:57:02 pm »
Ann,

I apologize for irritating the moderators with my questions. It was not my intent but given my confirmed exposure and potential false positives the questions seemed relevant. Any how, I wanted to update anyone following this thread.

I received the results from my follow-up HIV 1/O/2 antibody EIA and DNA PCR from Labcorp.

Negative

To anyone who has been in my position, the moderators in this forum seem to have a crystal ball like none I've seen and have really been the glue holding me together. Despite my confirmed exposure, all the symptoms, and my fun little experience with Oraquicks they were always right in the end. Thank you for all you do and I wish you all the very best. Thank you!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 08:07:00 pm »
You took an unapproved PCR-DNA test? You got took.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 08:09:36 pm »
I have no more rabbits in my hat for you.

You are reliably HIV negative. I am sorry it has been a rough ride for you.

But honestly we have exhausted our science here. By all measures we know, you do not have HIV. Please, I urge you, move on from this.

Welcome Thread

Offline Dx300

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 08:13:33 pm »
Rapid Rod,

You are right, I did. I spent $100 to help regain my sanity and it was worth every penny. I also took an approved Antibody test at 4 months to cover that base as well.

Jkinatl2,

I am going to move on from this, and again I can't thank you enough for your help and support. Thanks again and take care.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.