Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:16:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: having hiv and contracting another strain of hiv ?  (Read 11522 times)

Offline PositivelyMotivated

• Improbable Heterosexual Statistic
having hiv and contracting another strain of hiv ?
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:07:30 am »
can someone clear this up for me ... ive heard this can happen but im wondering if they were refering to the possibilities of pairing hiv 1 and 2 or if you can really have more than one hiv 1 subtype at the same time ... particualrly those in the M group A B C ... would i seroconvert all over again etc and how much worse could i have made my situation by exposing myself to another subtype ?
Infected 8/15/11
3/1/12 CD4 398 VL 35k

Offline Plus30

Re: having hiv and contracting another strain of hiv ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »
I've gotten conflicting information on this topic and have always wondered about it myself. Some things don't make sense to me.

I have had a Dr tell me you can get more than one strain, but another Dr tell me that if you were somehow "reinfected" that it would just convert back to a wild strain and it's isn't like you would seroconvert again. I've not known anyone who has had Two strains or had a problem with that, and I've known lots of positive people, so it would be helpful if anyone on here is going through that and could shed light on it.
...............CD4   %    VL
05/04/07   Tested Positive
10/24/07   343   18   141,000
03/12/08   327   17   120,000
05/08/08   286   13   16,529  Started Atripla
07/16/08   325   14   282 
10/14/08   317   19   72
06/10/09   392   21   <48
04/15/10   385   23   <48 New Dr
09/10/10   430   33   <48
11/29/10   540   28   <20
04/11/11   580   29   <20
06/24/11   465   31   70
01/06/12   427   26   <20
04/12/12   378   23   <20 Change to Truvada/Viramune
05/15/12   461   30   <20
10/02/12   678   28   <20
02/22/13   720   27   <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:15:14 am »
If you put "superinfection" or "reinfection" into the site's search engine, you'll find plenty of threads discussing this issue.

From what I've read on the subject, if it happens at all, it's rare and mainly confined to people who are very newly infected in the first place. In my opinion, I think it's used as a "monster-under-the-bed" by health care workers who don't like the idea of poz people barebacking, even with other poz people, and want to discourage the practice.

My poz partner and I never use condoms and reinfection is the furthest thing from my mind.

By the way, the "super" in superinfection doesn't mean super as in super-duper or Super Man, it means super as in superimposed - one infection on top of the other.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gingin

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:54:25 am »
Is it normal for two positives to be on different  meds, even though my partner infected me?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:30:00 am »
Is it normal for two positives to be on different  meds, even though my partner infected me?

You asked about this in another thread, but without knowing more details about each of you, nobody could possibly speculate with any accuracy. I believe the two of you have the same doctor, yes? If so, ask next time you're in.

If your doctor is anything like mine, he or she won't tell you much about your partner unless he's in the room with you, or he has given the doctor his express permission to discuss details about his health and treatment with you.

My partner and I go to the same doctor, but he's been on meds for over ten years and I haven't even started yet. Like you, I also acquired my infection from him - but there's no way I'll ever go on one of the meds he's on. It's a personal preference, so you see there can be a wide variety of reasons behind the difference.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:15:39 pm »
i can understand what he's talking about more than 1 strain hiv 1 and hiv 2 but in the u.s hiv 1 is common but like another person having another strain is like mutations where hiv can become resistant to part of a drug in atripla which im on now but my friend was on it as well but changed to what his dr called a cocktail dose where he became resistant to certain parts of the drug, in atripla theres 3 in 1 where hes resistant to 1 of the 3 its like what ann was talking about super strains where a person is resistant to multiple parts of hiv drugs hope it makes sense but its complicated on my end my friend has to take 5 pills day 2 of the same twice and the other 3 once a day
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:17:50 pm by sshortguy1 »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 04:43:04 pm »
i can understand what he's talking about more than 1 strain hiv 1 and hiv 2 but in the u.s hiv 1 is common but like another person having another strain is like mutations where hiv can become resistant to part of a drug in atripla which im on now but my friend was on it as well but changed to what his dr called a cocktail dose where he became resistant to certain parts of the drug, in atripla theres 3 in 1 where hes resistant to 1 of the 3 its like what ann was talking about super strains where a person is resistant to multiple parts of hiv drugs hope it makes sense but its complicated on my end my friend has to take 5 pills day 2 of the same twice and the other 3 once a day

Becoming re-infected is about as common as finding a unicorn.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:44:56 pm »
Becoming re-infected is about as common as finding a unicorn.

Or, now, with new data,  perhaps not;

Risk of HIV reinfection may be similar to risk of initial HIV infection
http://i-base.info/htb/16330

The key question is, does it matter clinically? And the answer is, except rarely, prob not. The number of people in the world without a decent treatment option with confirmed reinfections is, like, a handful in 40 million+ cases.

The more different your virus from someone else's the higher the risk of reinfection. If it's the same, don't fret. If it's very different fret. It's a world of difference going without condoms with a select few/your partner/person you got HIV from, to putting your bits round the world.

In short, if everyone tends to have the same HIV (like London) don't fret it ... too much, if they have lots of different types (like Cuba) choose wisely/use condoms til you have more information about the person.

I realise people may point out I have changed my view on this, but science evolves and I pay attention. It may have evolved on the reinfection question. It's quite hard to say conclusively. But these days I am a little more cautious on this topic than in previous years (but still think, broadly, don't sweat it too much).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:57:43 pm »

In short, if everyone tends to have the same HIV (like London) don't fret it ... too much, if they have lots of different types (like Cuba) choose wisely/use condoms til you have more information about the person.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here -- London is full of people from every country in the world, practically, to some degree.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline newt

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:28 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here -- London is full of people from every country in the world, practically, to some degree.

In London the HIV is less varied than the people, tends to be overwhelmingly HIV-1 subtype B in gay men/white heterosexuals, somewhat different in Africans. Cuba has 21 commonly circulating HIV strains. Depends who you are shagging I guess.

- matt

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:08:27 pm »
Depends who you are shagging I guess.

... but not who they shagged before you shagged them (?) Or is that not a concern with this new information?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 06:29:54 pm »
... but not who they shagged before you shagged them (?) Or is that not a concern with this new information?

That's the rub. How, exactly, does one even study this?

You'd think the science-foxnews/happy US would be ALL OVER this, since we have such a varied population and whatnot.

I know for a fact that I wasn't even given a test to determine my genotype until about a decade into my infection. Moreover, while I indeed carry the sadly normative HIV-1/B virus, I have surely and, I daresay, aggressively, been exposed to variants all over the board. A veritable Benneton of diversity.

Granted, I know that this is anecdote, and should be dismissed as such. But the article you quote even seems to reinforce that fact - it actually emphasizes the difficulty in determining any real statistical data from the studies highlighted.

I'm still standing behind my "unicorn" statement.

*modified to correct hungover typing.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:38:43 pm »
I have surely and, I daresay, aggressively, been exposed to variants all over the board. A veritable Benneton of diversity.

Child please -- I've practically had the entire United Nations up my sphincter. And that was just in NYC. Add in the fact I used to vacation in the Caribbean annually and fuck a different guy each day, or more, I guess I should volunteer for a study.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:40:58 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:32 am »

The more different your virus from someone else's the higher the risk of reinfection. If it's the same, don't fret. If it's very different fret. It's a world of difference going without condoms with a select few/your partner/person you got HIV from, to putting your bits round the world.

Does the term 'different' virus connote difference only in HIV subtypes?

What about differences in HIV brought about due med resistance ? Or perhaps, general mutuation of the virus in one's body during its life cycle? I mean I keep reading about HIV being a 'very clever' bug, how it keeps adapting itself, undergoing several mutations everyday- or those differences don't matter?
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 07:47:58 am »
i don't understand why the guy said as refering to my comment as reinfection as like finding a unicorn which they don't excist but as to jkinatl2's comment i stand correct reinfection as to being with someone that has a resistant to certain parts of the drugs found in hiv meds like in  jkinatl2's comment super infection is what i was mentioning multiple drug resistants 4 example a person getting infected with hiv as the start doesn't take care of himself or her goes out having multiple sex partners without protection can result in super infection having multiple resistant to certain parts can lead to having to take cocktail doses with multiple pills at a time including more than once to twice a day

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 08:58:29 am »
i don't understand why the guy said as refering to my comment as reinfection as like finding a unicorn which they don't excist but as to jkinatl2's comment i stand correct reinfection as to being with someone that has a resistant to certain parts of the drugs found in hiv meds like in  jkinatl2's comment super infection is what i was mentioning multiple drug resistants 4 example a person getting infected with hiv as the start doesn't take care of himself or her goes out having multiple sex partners without protection can result in super infection having multiple resistant to certain parts can lead to having to take cocktail doses with multiple pills at a time including more than once to twice a day

I am having difficulty understanding this paragraph.

Welcome Thread

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 10:58:46 am »
what i was saying is when they mention strains as to resistants of drugs found in hiv medication, when they mention strains hiv without a resistant or a super strain with multiple resistant like some1 that was using atripla which has 3 drugs in 1 say someone that was using atripla and gotten a resistant to sustiva or another

Offline newt

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 04:16:49 pm »
There are three questions really. Does reinfection with HIV (or perhaps simultaneous infection with 2+ types of HIV) happen? Does it matter (ie affect your health?). Do you care?

My answers in my mind are: 1. Yes it happens, it's uncommon, just like gettting HIV is uncommon, the factors which permit it are unclear, but unlike a unicorn, reinfection exists to some degree << I am being techical here about the uncommon bit 2. To date, very rarely does it seem to matter, it only matters in those exceptional cases where, eg, you get HIV 2 aswell as HIV 1 or get a resistant strain, and this affects your treatment options and outcomes, these cases get highlighted in journals cos they are a) rare and b) interesting. 3. If you have a main HIV positive partner perhaps the option of no rubbers is deffo on the cards, this is my choice, other people will decide differently.

- matt

Offline rjoh

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »
what i was saying is when they mention strains as to resistants of drugs found in hiv medication, when they mention strains hiv without a resistant or a super strain with multiple resistant like some1 that was using atripla which has 3 drugs in 1 say someone that was using atripla and gotten a resistant to sustiva or another

With all due respect, please learn to punctuate. I cannot follow your run-on sentences and I refuse to mentally translate your paragraph.

I just ignore it and skip on to the next post.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:12 pm »
With all due respect, please learn to punctuate. I cannot follow your run-on sentences and I refuse to mentally translate your paragraph.

I just ignore it and skip on to the next post.

It seems like English is not this person's first language.  You may want to keep in consideration that for a small minority here they're trying to communicate to you in a second language.

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:25 am »
just out of curiosity why's there drama here? i seen a few here that bash others 4 what reason ? to put their opinion in the spotlight? that's the issue here too many people with completely different opinions almost as bad as being around gay people

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 11:02:57 am »
just out of curiosity why's there drama here? i seen a few here that bash others 4 what reason ? to put their opinion in the spotlight? that's the issue here too many people with completely different opinions almost as bad as being around gay people

Now who's bashing who? Since when is being around gay people a bad thing? That comment sounds rather homophobic to me. I'm not sure if you're gay or straight, but if you're straight, you're on thin ice with that comment. We don't allow homophobic comments in these forums, so watch it, mister.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 10:45:32 pm »
Now who's bashing who? Since when is being around gay people a bad thing? That comment sounds rather homophobic to me. I'm not sure if you're gay or straight, but if you're straight, you're on thin ice with that comment. We don't allow homophobic comments in these forums, so watch it, mister.

Ann

Even if he's gay that's not really particularly nice.  I feel a little bit of shame for defending him now.

Offline Marcelino

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:58 pm »
I don't at all want to highjack this thread, I just wanted to say a few words to SSHORTGUY1, regarding his comments to this topic.

Hi SSHORTGUY1
How are you doing?  :)  I just wanted to mention to you that we all have a lot of differing opinions on a lot of issues here, so I don't want you to feel like you are being attacked.  You will find that most, if not all, of the people here are very friendly.  I believe the reason there are a lot of opinions in this forum is so that we can compare our different points of view and put everything together so we can come up with solutions for people in certain situations, health problems, etc.  I just rejoined this forum, as I was last a member around 4 years or so, ago, but then I moved to the west coast.  I can definitely tell you that Ann, one of the moderators, is a very nice woman, especially if you get to know her, as she has given me some good advice when I was here before.  Ann was just warning you to be careful about what things you say because she is probably giving you the benefit of the doubt, as you might have been having a bad day, etc.  Just remember a lot of us are here to help you out and not attack you.  I certainly would not attack you ever.  I know we all say things we don't mean when we are upset.  I'm even guilty of doing that a few times....LOL......Anyhow, please take care, be well, and find one of us you feel you can be comfortable talking to.......Smile and forget about all this now, we're here for you........Always, Marcelino

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 02:18:26 pm »
ty Marcelino for your comment , i just felt like i was being attacked,
 the reason i mentioned about strains was b/c i asked the dr that my friend and i have, 
my friend has what the dr called the super strain that he told the dr my friend gotten the false security that atripla would take care of it but not in his case , but hes on 5 medications a day some twice a day. but as for myself i'm on atripla by itself. so i'm glad that i don't have to go through what my friend has to do i was talking to another friend that had hiv since 1997 he had to go through it himself but eventually back on atripla
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:21:04 pm by sshortguy1 »

Offline Marcelino

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 04:05:33 pm »
Hi Sshortguy,
You will most likely do very well on your medicine.  As you can see, there is a lot of debate to the definitive answers of this situation, but one thing doctors are learning is that through all of this, medication adherence is a big factor.  I was reading some research the other day about this issue and I came across an article in the Journal of AIDS, that indicates people who take their medications as directed, have a lower risk of becoming superinfected, that is, if the possibility of superinfection exists.  As I understood it, the reason being, was because a person has improved immunity since their viral load is undetectable, also because of pre-existing HIV antibodies already in the blood, and also the risk of passing on a so-called superstrain is markedly reduced, since an undetectable viral load also lessens the risk of infecting someone to begin with, whether they are HIV positive or not.  Anyone here, please correct me if I am wrong.  Take care and I wish you the best of health.......Marcelino  ;D

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 05:03:51 pm »
since an undetectable viral load also lessens the risk of infecting someone to begin with, whether they are HIV positive or not.  Anyone here, please correct me if I am wrong.
being on successful HAART is just like PEP and PrEP - combine that with being UD and that's some powerful protection. To have another infection issue with HIV sounds pretty far-fetched. ;D

So far the people who have been diagnosed with either "reinfection" or "super infection" where people who were not on successful treatment ie they either had not started medications or they had bad adherence and become detectable again.

we've talked about this subject here a lot. Do a site search on "reinfection" or "superinfection" to find more info, along with links to the studies of the 12 or so detectable and/or untreated people who became reinfected.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline elf

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 05:11:26 pm »
In Africa, there are people  with HIV1/HIV2 co-infection.  :-\

Offline newt

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 07:05:39 pm »
There is a case report in a reputable journal of HIV being transmitted even though the transmitter was on HAART. Given there are at least 5 case reports of household acquisition of HIV (ie non-sexual, non-shared injecting equipment) people may (fairly) ascribe relatively little weight this phenomenon. I guess it depends how concerned you are about thie risk.

We have indeed talked about this a lot on the forum, but perhaps them old discussions are now out of date.

It seems clear to me today (but wasn't when I posted about this topic in the past) that getting HIV a second time (or third) is more common than previously thought, methodological issues about latest resarch notwithstanding.

It does not seem clear to me that this phenomenon is clincially important, or that it means you should deffo keep the condoms on if shagging another HIV+ person who is not a random hook up.

Old discussions do not reflect the latest research or people's views on the latest research,

- matt
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:09:36 pm by newt »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »
There is a case report in a reputable journal of HIV being transmitted even though the transmitter was on HAART. Given there are at least 5 case reports of household acquisition of HIV (ie non-sexual, non-shared injecting equipment) people may (fairly) ascribe relatively little weight this phenomenon. I guess it depends how concerned you are about thie risk.

We have indeed talked about this a lot on the forum, but perhaps them old discussions are now out of date.

It seems clear to me today (but wasn't when I posted about this topic in the past) that getting HIV a second time (or third) is more common than previously thought, methodological issues about latest resarch notwithstanding.

It does not seem clear to me that this phenomenon is clincially important, or that it means you should deffo keep the condoms on if shagging another HIV+ person who is not a random hook up.

Old discussions do not reflect the latest research or people's views on the latest research,

- matt

Perhaps. But I am still awaiting the conclusive evidence that this phenomenon is widespread enough to warrant concern. Has it been clinically identified in a dozen cases? A hundred? A thousand? Using what methodology? Inasmuch as HIV transmission theory has significantly changed in the last fifteen years (since the advent of ART) I would be remiss to think that the capacity to determine reinfection has also progressed beyond the rudimentary level.

You might not realize that you tend to parse these topics in a way that seems alarming to those who do not have your prowess of understanding or interpreting scientific data, including the notion of outliers.

To wit, your casual statement about environmental transmissions (which by the way seem to have evaporated in the last fifteen years or so - why is that?) will no doubt help cause a potential shit storm in AM I INFECTED. People over there - and I suspect in the general population - still jump all over the term "safer sex" as opposed to "safe sex."

I choose to think it is not your intention to cause undue distress and confusion. But sometimes you do.

Welcome Thread

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:05 am »
That was way harsh, Ty.

Offline LM

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 11:58:46 pm »
I've met many guys who have bb sex all the time, in orgies and stuff, UD or not, and they say they haven't had any trouble because of that. When some of them start treatment, they go UD anyway. I mean, many poz guys are really loose and nothing seems to happen to them. If reinfection was that serious, these people would be suffering quite obvious consequences.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.