Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:55:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 394
Total: 397

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ate moldy cheese  (Read 14199 times)

Offline hypozsc

ate moldy cheese
« on: October 08, 2006, 09:23:58 am »
Yesterday I ate a sandwich which had a slice of Muenster cheese on it. I later discovered that some of the cheese had a spot of mold on it and the expiration date was in August. There were several of us who ate the same food and today (as far as I know) no one is ill. No one noticed anything bad about the taste of the sandwich. This was grocery store bought cheese in slices and only a portion of the cheese had mold on it. How worried should I be?

Offline Christine

Re: ate moldy cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 12:47:18 pm »
I wouldn't be to worried about it. Many cheeses have mold on them, and we eat them...blue cheese, gorgonzola, stilton.

If you notice any stomach problems, call your doctor. But otherwise, don't worry.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 10:44:52 am »
In general, food borne illnesses can take a few hours or a few days to show up.

That said, you are probably OK. Pre-poz, I used to cut the mold off of cheese and eat it all the time (I hate waste.)

That was pre-poz. Today, I won't.  Always, always, always check the expiration dates on anything you buy.

As Christine said, if you start to notice problems, call your doc right away. Otherwise, chalk it up to a lesson well learned.

Just as a side note, if your CD4s are below 250, it is better to forego the "moldy" cheeses such as bleu, Camembert, Roquefort, Stilton, etc. They can contain a bacteria that is not a problem for healthy immune systems but could be if you have a compromised immune system.

Just an FYI.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 01:23:23 pm »
Oh, for goodness sake.  Cheese basically IS mold... curdled milk.  Many good cheeses have mold all over the rind, you just cut it off. 

The US does ban raw milk cheeses aged under 60 days, as do some other countries.  Unfortunately this means I can't indulge myself with French epoisses as it's aged 30 days and stinks to high heaven, but I swear it's out of this world.  It's somewhat referred to as the "best cheese" in France and the favorite of epicureans.  Can't wait to go to France in the Spring and eat some.

I think though that if one's blood numbers aren't that great you would want to avoid such indulgences anyway.  Kind of like sushi -- well, maybe... I don't know.  Maybe someone here can comment on HIV and eating raw milk cheeses under 60 days aged.  Since you can't legally buy it in the US I doubt the subject comes up much but maybe someone posting from Europe will comment.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:37:42 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 03:45:28 pm »
Oh, for goodness sake.  Cheese basically IS mold... curdled milk.  Many good cheeses have mold all over the rind, you just cut it off. 

Quoi?? Cut the mold :o???? but..., it's the best part!!!

well, sometimes.
Personally I can't fathom eating Camembert without the rind, and I am talking producer's fromage, not some pasteurized ersatz like President (an industrially made Camembert).

On my doctor's advice I've cut down heavily on the cheese, mostly to lower the amount of fat that my liver and gall bladder had to deal with, but being a vegetarian I have to have my protein intake so I eat it with moderation. I regularly buy organic raw milk fresh cheese from the market; it is no older than a week or so and probably full of bacteria that my intestines don't seem to have a problem with. IT'S ALIVE! :o

Now if I had very low CD4's I would probably ask my doc about it. Like most other foods in fact.

I believe that the bacteria Aztecan is referring to is Listeria. There have been cases, very few, over the years here, and a few people have died or been very sick. Not sure about their HIV status...
Such outbreaks are very rare and things get under control very quickly. Funny thing is that some processed industrial stuff has been the culprit as much as cheese made locally.

Epoisse is one very fine cheese indeed but the next time you go to France why not try Langres? It has a golden rind, is runny but not too much and a strong smell; slap it on a piece of walnut rye bread and chuck it down with a little Vaqueras or Lirac (Rhône Valley wines)... bliss.

Quite frankly, I don't have a problem if cheese kills me before HIV does ;D

Pat
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:56:58 pm by frenchpat »
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 08:46:04 pm »
Langes -- I'll look for it.  I'll be going to visit with friends in Lyon in the Spring and I'm sure we'll spend some time in the car out in the countryside tasting cheeses and wines.  Though I won't be anywhere in the region they produce it I'll be sure and try some out at the fromagerie.   My numbers are quite good at the moment so I won't have to worry about anything while there.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.