Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:27:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 362
Total: 364

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Concern about a past partner's inaction  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Cpt.Mauzer

Concern about a past partner's inaction
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:42:30 pm »
I was diagnosed in June and told my casual sex partner who I had been with frequently for the past year that he needs to get tested (we had unprotected sex very very often).  He completely flipped out and refuses to talk to me (which is his choice, I'm fine with it).  My concern is, he has been in a long term sexually active relationship with a female who we both work with.  I'm concerned for this female's health as I have no idea if my coworker has even gone to get tested. 

Seeing as he very well might have been tested and is handling it on his own (and hell, could even be negative), I don't want to overstep my bounds...but the fact that he won't talk to me about it is concerning. 

It's a very messy situation...if i approach this girl and talk to her about what's going on, I am A) outing my male coworker who is ashamed of his sexuality B) wrecking their relationship and C) causing workplace drama for the two of them (I'm leaving in a month so for myself this point is much more irrelevant).

I guess what I'm asking is...where should my responsibility as an HIV positive person end and when should I just walk away and assume people have gotten things taken care of?

Edit* I should note that the possibility of my partner being negative seems highly unlikely seeing as we had been meeting up  1-2 times a month or more up to and including the week I found out (a couple nights before my doctor told me).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:45:16 pm by Cpt.Mauzer »
6-7-13 Detected
6-10-13 74949 VL CD4 458 (32%)
6-27-13 Started Stribild
7-29-13 VL 29 CD4 731 (31%)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Concern about a past partner's inaction
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »
It's not your responsibility to get involved past telling that partner to get tested.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:14:22 pm »
The only in I could see, is if she knows you are HIV+, and if sex is something you have discussed with this person previously.  If both of those are true, you can always drop it into a conversation, completely disguised, just as,

"Oh I had a awkward weekend, I ran into an old lover this weekend and one thing let to another and he found out about my HIV status and I told him he should get tested, because we used to have unsafe sex.  He was sort of annoyed I told him, irritated, so I just said, look, we all know its better to know our status and protect ourselves, I mean, if there's one thing I've learned being HIV+, is that everyone is responsible for their own risks, and knowing their own status, cause there just too many surprises when we just assume things. I'm glad I know, and everything is under controll.  Just spreading the word to be smart, but people are so touchy..."

And I suppose the chances of you being in the kind of colleague relationship with this person where you could say something like that are 1 in a million.   :D

So what Miss P said.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:34:49 pm »
I agree that it is only your business to tell the person you have been having sex. 

I think the only time I would consider getting involved is if the guy began a sexual relationship with a good friend, and I knew he was poz with a detectable vl,  and I learned he was pressuring for bareback sex, while claiming to have tested neg.  I know everyone is responsible for their own health and choices, but in that situation I would probably feel I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't say something.  Barring that, I would feel I should stay out of it.  If he lied but insisted on condoms, I would stay out of it.  I would only consider getting involved, if I knew he was being irresponsible and intentionally putting a dear friend at risk. 

Given the situation you describe, I would feel I should stay out of it. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:40:02 am »
You could also have her contacted anonymously via your local health department. If I were you, I'd discuss this with my doctor and explain to him or her what you've explained to us. The doctor could forward your friend's contact details on to the health department who would then send a letter telling her she needs to be tested - but not who caused the need for the test.

You could even send an anonymous letter to her yourself. I'm not talking email, I'm talking about a letter sent to her home. I'm also not talking about naming him.  I understand you may be worrying about wrecking their relationship, but won't death through PCP do that in an even worse way?

While I agree that it's not strictly your responsibility to get your friend/coworker to test, I know I wouldn't feel right until I'd exhausted every possibly means to make sure she's tested.

I so wish more adults understood the need for regular sexual heath check ups. So much heartbreak could be avoided. Nobody likes going to the dentist regularly either, but people still do it. Why do we have to be so backward, prudish and squeamish when it comes to our sexual health?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cpt.Mauzer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:42:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I think I'm just going to lay low unless I hear something definitive.  I don't feel particularly right doing it, but at this point I have very few bridges left in my life and i'd rather not burn the last of them by stirring up the drama.  :-\
6-7-13 Detected
6-10-13 74949 VL CD4 458 (32%)
6-27-13 Started Stribild
7-29-13 VL 29 CD4 731 (31%)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.