Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 147
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Oh you dont know the anger I am feeling.  (Read 8374 times)

Offline ubotts

Oh you dont know the anger I am feeling.
« on: October 21, 2007, 01:16:30 am »
On Oct 18 was my day to see my doctor and get my bloodlabs read to me.
My hep c viral load was sky high..
My blood pressure was high as well, which this is a first for me..BUT..
you blood pressure would be high too if this happened to you..
OK here it goes.. ::)

The first time my bloods were lost..My doctor never received them for some reason,
So I had to do it all over again..

I go back where I got my first meds taken, and the lady says, we don't except that insurance, you need to go to lab tech...I say OK no problem, but why when I was here
last time, the girl took my bloodwork?????? ???

She said she shouldn't of taken it, because we dint cover that..

So I went to Lab tech, and my bloods were taken..

My doctor got them...OK my hep C was HI, but so was my blood pressure.. :-[
                             Anyways....
Later on I get in the mail a bill for 2,534.90...I called Horizon, they told me to call my
doctor...

My doctor tells me to go to Monmouth medical ..3rd floor and ask for charity care to
help you..

I go there and the girl says...We can not give you charity care, so you will have
to pay 210.00 monthly.. >:(
I said your outta your fucking mind..It wasn't my fault..I am on SSI and no way in hell
could i or would I pay that damn amount of money...shit..I was pissed >:(

She tried to get me covered under the Ryan White foundation, but since I already
have Medicaid and Horizon, they refused me.. >:(

Then I was told I should call back my doctor, because there the ones who sent you
to the wrong place in the first place..NOW MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS REALLY RISING :(

What I would like to do is ask you all a question..
Who do you believe should be held accountable for this mess they have put me in?
I could really use everyones input here....Ubotts..ha by the way, that means crazy in Italian...The name is surely appropriate now..Cuz I feel insane in the menbrain :(
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Oh you dont know the anger I am feeling.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:43:23 am »
Lordy Ubotts,

What a mess! Do you have a case manager? Now would be a good time to have one.

I don't know what to tell you about the lab bill. Were it me, they would have to eat it because I couldn't pay it or afford their payment "terms."

By the way, I believe that, if it comes down to your having to pay, you should just send them what you can afford, whether that be just $10 or $5.

As long as you make a good faith effort, I don't think there is much they can say or do. I could be wrong, but I believe that is correct.

I also would have a serious talk with your doctor about where he sends you in the future.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:30:58 pm »
I see two issues here..one is the referral by the Dr's office...they screwed it up and they should at least help to fix it......second  the cost...the amount is the "sucker bill"  all the Labs, clinics and other providers have "negotiated rates and "sucker rates"...... if it come to you having to pay at least get the Govt ( Medicare) negotiated rate....it will probably be closer to $200.. than the number you got....I would agree with Mark  if you have to pay offer $5.00 a month.....they can turn you over to a collection agency but most agencies wont bother for a few hundred dollar's...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline perspiry

• Le Comtesse de Vache
    • My Best Fiend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:10:00 am »
Don't pay a penny to the lab.  Make your doctor's office take responsibility for their screw-up by sending you to the wrong lab and make the lab responsible for their screw-up by taking you when you presented documents showing you were not covered for their services.   If they try to bill you for the recent lab work tell them to stuff it.   Even though it was understandably frustrating you're lucky the technician refused you the 2nd time because that's what should have happened the first time.  Managed care is a pain in the butt but as long as you use the right providers you won't get stuck with ridiculous messes like this one.

About 15 years ago my doctor ordered phenotype testing on AZT, 3TC, and Viramune and the blood had to go to a lab in California for testing.  A few months later I received a bill for $3000 showing phenotypes had been done 10 times on each drug.  My viral load was so low the test results were useless.  I called the lab and explained I was with an HMO and paid no out-of-pocket for lab work so they checked with my HMO, who refused the charges because of the number of tests run.  I called my doctor's office and told them to work it out but I didn't have $3000 and wasn't about to pay.  My doctor explained to the HMO the lab retested 10 times to be sure of the lack of results and that was standard for this still pretty new test (I hope by now they've concluded 5 retests is conclusive).  I received a few more bills but called the lab each time and they assured me I didn't have to worry.

Stand up for your rights!  You made no mistake and should not have to pay for someone else's.  Good luck!

JA

If I'd been thinking I would have chosen Tangina as my forum moniker.

Offline ubotts

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:27:21 pm »
I have made my calls and I wont be charged a dime thank god.. ;)

It wasn't my fault they sent me to the wrong lab. Plus they lady that took
my bloodwork, should of told me ..we don't except that insurance..

So let them fight amongst themselves.. :P
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline Jody

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 09:40:23 pm »
Dear Ubotts...Glad you got this taken care of, many times they just bill you hoping you won't fight it and it's more money in their pockets...It is stressful enough living with HIV and to have such a bill sent to you can send anyone's blood pressure through the roof...It's always best to calmly but firmly deal with any issue that comes up in life.

Be well, Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline ubotts

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 09:45:49 am »
Thank You Jody and everyone else..Damn hmo's dont know whats what..
I really dont need anymore stress than I already have..
I told them to get things straight when sending me somewhere which ive never been
before, and being a new patient doesnt help...At least they will correct this crap
and hopefully, I will never have to go though this again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 10:30:37 pm »
Good for you, Ub. This is one of those outrageous situations that can make you sick if you let it. But you didn't and you won't.

Clearly you have got to keep a tough watch on this doctor and his crew in the future.

Jeezus, you need a lot of strength to get through this life!

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline BirdBear718

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:54:23 pm »
Wow!  Hooray Ubatts! 
My initial thought was like Aztecan -- get your case worker involved. 
If you do not have a social worker yet, get one now.  They can keep and provide important documentation for you.

Of course -- celebrate your victory!!!
This is great news!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.