Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:21:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 732
Total: 734

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hypothetical PREP q  (Read 3534 times)

Offline texaninnyc87

Hypothetical PREP q
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:53:32 am »
This is purely hypothetical, just something that popped in to mind.

Is the prep dose simply a typical dosage of truvada? Like if i were taking truvada I could just give someone at risk some of my meds and it would work out the same, or is it a concentrated dose or something?

Would this work with other ARVs? My buddy just had a scare and I was wondering if I he took my stribild for a few days if it would work the same way. Obviously this isn't the preferred method, but would it work? What do you guys think?
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Hypothetical PREP q
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:21:23 am »
Its the regular dose and if you are using it because you had an exposure and its called PEP and its a month long course of meds , not a week . Sharing medication is not a good idea , your friend may have other health conditions diagnosed or otherwise that could cause complications . He needs to see a doctor if he needs medication .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:38:08 am »
Right, so I had not intended on giving him my meds, hence the word "hypothetical." I was mostly wondering about the reality of the effectiveness, which I'm still curious about. Would any ARV work in the same way as truvada?

Again I will reiterate that I am not giving my pills to anyone, my friends scare just made me curious.
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:24:42 am »
PEP consists of a 28 day course of Highly Active Antiretroviral therapy or HAART. HAART is “highly active” because it consists of two or more different antiretroviral drugs. Antiretroviral drugs are medicines that slow down or stop HIV from replicating inside the body (HIV is a type of virus known as a “retrovirus“). HAART is the therapy that many HIV positive people use to keep their infection under control. Different combinations of antiretroviral drugs, known as “cocktails”, are used in PEP. Although no single HAART cocktail has been proven to be more effective then others when used for PEP .
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:26:43 am by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:04:02 pm »
Just to restate - Truvada is two anti-retrovirals. Not one.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:15:35 pm »
If i were in a situation in which it was really impossible to get to medical help and a PEP supply, within the window for treatment, for someone who had a REAL risk, AFTER THE RISK, I would share my truvada to get started if the next step was a guarantee to get to the medical help and get the pep supply and to take it for 4 weeks.

If your question really is about PREP - pre-exposure prophylaxis, I don't think its been answered.

I am curious about that too... How many days in advance of a risk does one need to start taking the PREP for it to be protective?

And how long after the risk (protected, actually, because the drug is systemic) does one need to take it?

Why am I guessing that PREP is a different ballgame. If the PREP is protective for a risk on, let's say, a Friday, there would be no more risk on Sunday, surely, if there was no more sex after Friday.   On Friday, infection would have been prevented, correct??  Seems to me if the virus never gets a foothold, one wouldn't need it for 4 weeks after a risk. If the drug was taken as PREP.

I assumed the 4 weeks for PEP (post-exposure) is because one assumes the virus may have been assimilated and may be replicating.

I am curious about the science.   
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:17:51 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:56 am »
PrEP is supposed to be taken for a week before it is used as a (pre-exposure) prophylactic, and you are supposed to continue taking it indefinitely. (For how ever long you anticipate the possibility of risky encounters happening, keeping in mind that you can't always plan for these things a week in advance.)

It's not meant to be used, say, over the weekend to cover your weekend party activities. It has to be at optimal levels in your system before it is to be relied on.

This is about the only thing that worries me about it being used as a prophylactic - it's fine as long as a person is taking it as directed (once a day, every day), but there are always going to be people out there who think they can use it in short bursts. It's somewhat similar to how people stop taking antibiotics when they start feeling better. Both can conceivably lead to resistance issues.

Truvada alone is often used as PEP these days, particularly if the risk is somewhat on the lower end of the scale and if it is initiated very soon after the risk has taken place.

PEP initiation within 24 hours is ideal, within 36 hours is good, but after 72 hours you might as well forget it.

If i were in a situation in which it was really impossible to get to medical help and a PEP supply, within the window for treatment, for someone who had a REAL risk, AFTER THE RISK, I would share my truvada to get started if the next step was a guarantee to get to the medical help and get the pep supply and to take it for 4 weeks.   

I would too, also only if I were in the position to make certain the person followed up with a doctor ASAP - within two or three days.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.