Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 715
Total: 716

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Things to do in London  (Read 17013 times)

Offline fearless

Things to do in London
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:43:57 pm »
Just thought I'd start a thread where people can post ideas of things to do while in London.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Things to do in London
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:31:21 pm »
Here you go... my favorite.  Excellent men's toilet in the basement.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1165/19738.php
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:44:12 pm »
The Tate!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:45:33 am »
I went to the Tower of London around 22 years ago and thought it was fantastic. We had a private tour given by a Tower of London guard (aka Beefeater, but evidently, they don't like to be called that). The tour was set up by my ex's cousin-in-law who was a copper; the guard was an old mate of his. Unfortunately, said guard is now retired.

I wouldn't mind seeing the place again. I like old buildings and castles.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/?gclid=CIqvgPnWqJ4CFUiZ2AodiVMOlw

The V&A museum is good too: http://www.vam.ac.uk/

I like the Science Museum as well: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

Ok, now that I've revealed myself to be a total nerd, I'll crawl back under my stack of books. ;D

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:31:33 am »
Tower Museum
Savile Row and Jermyn Street esp. if sale time.
A show - if not too expensive
tea and talk everyday isn't that the point? maybe picnics in the parks
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 01:31:12 pm »
God where would you start...there is so many wonderful things to see and do in London, it's hard to point out any one place, a few great places have been mentioned already..although I have no idea where Philly is talking about, but if he says it's fine , then I guess it's fine.. ;D.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline allanq

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 02:37:50 pm »
A boat trip up the Thames to Greenwich.

Westminster Abbey.

A walking tour. I've been to London several times and have always enjoyed taking organized walking tours. The guides are real professionals--knowledgeable, personable, and often humorous. There are a number of agencies that do this, and my guess it would be possible to get a tour just for the AMG group. They cost £7 per person.

Here's one organization that does excellent walks:
http://www.walks.com/

Some of the walking tours I've taken:

Mayfair
Christopher Wren's London
Old Hampstead Village
The Inns of Court (Legal & Illegal London)
The Old Jewish Quarter

Some of the tour companies offer reasonably priced guided excursions outside London (including discounted train fares). I took one to Oxford and another to Salisbury & Stonehenge. They were both great trips.

I'd love to attend the London AMG, but I have a very hard time with long plane rides. The last time I took a flight to Europe, the person in front of me reclined his seat all the way for the entire flight from San Francisco. It was 11 hours of torture. Maybe the grants committee could give me an upgrade to Business Class? (Just kidding!)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 08:41:43 pm »
Allen, it's far simpler to say "could you please move your seat-back off my knees?" After all, you paid for your seat as well.

Been there, done that. Does that make me a bitch? Do I look worried?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 09:35:46 pm »
Been there, done that. Does that make me a bitch? Do I look worried?

No -- THAT does not.................   

Just kidding..   ;)  But it WAS hanging out there just begging for someone to take the bait......   ;D

Hugs,
Mike

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 09:41:23 pm »
I, also, enjoyed London Tower -- and really liked touring the Tower Bridge -- who knew you could walk across the top like that from one tower to the other (completely enclosed, in case anyone is wondering).

A trip out to Wimbledon is fun -- even if you don't like tennis, the village is great.
The London Eye is a monstrosity to look at, but gives you some fantastic views of the city.

For the strong of heart (and leg) you can climb to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral for more great views (LOTS of stairs).

I, also, get the added treat of being able to see a dear friend who has lived there for over 12 years now -- she married a Brit and has a couple of kids now and I see her soooo rarely.  We've been friends since we were 10 -- she's like the sister I never had.

M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:48:22 am »
No -- THAT does not.................   

Just kidding..   ;)  But it WAS hanging out there just begging for someone to take the bait......   ;D

Hugs,
Mike

Yeah, so I celebrate my inner bitch from time to time. Doesn't everyone? ;D Do I look worried yet? :D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 08:35:10 am »
I've probably been to London a good dozen times and have only done half of this touristy stuff.  I usually spend most of my time shopping and doing blow at Trade.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 09:03:25 am »
I've probably been to London a good dozen times and have only done half of this touristy stuff.  I usually spend most of my time shopping and doing blow at Trade.

Or blowing trade?

Sorry, couldn't resist celebrating my inner bitch again! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 09:40:58 am »
Or blowing trade?

Sorry, couldn't resist celebrating my inner bitch again! ;D

I had a boyfriend at the time who considered me chattel.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 12:45:17 pm »
If you like open-air markets, this is a great place to spend an afternoon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_Market

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 03:26:53 am »
The Dungeons!
feat. the Drop Ride to Doom, the Great Plague, The Great Fire, Jack the Ripper and the Labyrinth of the Lost.

Otherwise, picknicking in Hyde Park. Feeding the ducks.

"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 04:19:44 am »
Off-beaten musts for the history buff 

The Monument - built on the spot in Pudding Ln where the great fire of London started (designed by Wren) and if you can manage the hike up the stairs it's worth the view.

The New Public Record Office (a little hard to spot) but worth it to see the Doomsday Book.

The London Transport Museum

The British Library -- for so many reasons including the Magna Carta
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline fearless

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 05:33:03 am »
Does Trade still exist Philly? If it does, it is so last century. I think it's all about clubs round Vauxhall and Shoreditch, but hey, I don't claim to be up on the latest London clubs at all. It changes so quickly.
Doing blow in Trade was fun though.

I'd like to throw in the Tate Modern, The Serpentine Gallery is often fun, The Regent's Park has stunning gardens, British Museum is a must, and a stroll to the top of Primrose Hill is very satisfying. The whispering gallery at St Paul's is cool too, and you get a great view from the top.

Ann a geek - who would've thunk it  ::)

Offline Wagner

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 08:42:38 am »
Trade doesn't exist anymore and hasn't done for years.  Not to worry, if subterranean drug emporiums are your thing there are still lots of options from which to choose.

For show tickets you can simply queue at the half-price ticket booth in Leicester Square on the day of the performance.  Or, go see something at the National Theatre which has performances from £10.

All museums/galleries are free in London.  For street entertainment Camden Market is the place if purple hair and unwashed youth are your thing.  For a more aesthetic market experience try Portobello or Spitalfields where you could see the Dennis Severs' House.  If you're looking for a gastronomic experience there's Borough Market.

As a group you might consider hiring a mini-bus for a journey into the countryside.  This could include Windsor Castle, Oxford, Stonehenge etc.  Depends on your budget

The tower is an acquired taste if you have a leaning toward armoury display and

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 10:04:27 am »

Ann a geek - who would've thunk it  ::)

What, my inner geek surprises you while my inner bitch does not? :o :D

I'd also love to see St. Pauls. I'm not religious in the least, but I do love old churches and cathedrals. The architecture is amazing, especially when you consider these places were built waaaay  before modern technology. 

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 10:24:36 am »

I'd also love to see St. Pauls. I'm not religious in the least, but I do love old churches and cathedrals. The architecture is amazing, especially when you consider these places were built waaaay  before modern technology. 

I know exactly how you feel --- they really are inspiring.  I liked Westminster Abby better than St. Paul's but if you are willing to make the short trip than Canterbury Cathedral is the best (IMHO)  http://www.canterbury-cathedral.org/index.aspx
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 10:29:45 am »
I know exactly how you feel --- they really are inspiring.  I liked Westminster Abby better than St. Paul's but if you are willing to make the short trip than Canterbury Cathedral is the best (IMHO)  http://www.canterbury-cathedral.org/index.aspx

Canterbury cathedral IS absolutely amazing and is probably my favourite so far. I love the way you can see Canterbury cathedral for miles around. York Minster is good too. In fact, the whole city of York is nice, if you like old places.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 10:46:39 am »
I liked Lincoln Cathedral also but that was mainly because of their copy of the Magna Carta.  And if you go to Windsor then St. George's Chapel is great after the redo.
http://www.stgeorges-windsor.org/worship-and-music/experience-st-georges/st-georges-panorama.html

Offline fearless

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 08:54:20 pm »
What, my inner geek surprises you while my inner bitch does not? :o :D

spot on  :-*

Offline Basquo

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 10:03:06 pm »
For street entertainment Camden Market is the place if purple hair and unwashed youth are your thing.  

...and that perfectly describes me in London in 1985!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

:-X :-X :-X

Offline komnaes

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 12:44:56 am »
I would definitely LOVE to go to a live recording of a BBC's comedy shows (they're at the Strand, not far from the gay clubs..  ;) ) like "QI", "Nevermind the Buzzcock" or "Mock the Week".. I know it's pathetic but I know I will scream like a little girl if I can see Stephen Fry live!

Failing that a night out in any one of the better comedy clubs in Soho would be fab too!
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline carousel

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 07:13:03 am »
So many places to see, but when you live here, you tend not to bother, I'm afraid.

For info, Trade is still flogging its brand after all these years, though only for one off parties.  The club it was in, Turnmills closed a couple of years ago.  They seem to have settled for holding their parties at everybody's favourite nightclub/ drive-by shooting range, the Ministry of Sound.  

Stephen Fry was on TV last night.  It seems that he has taken up the gym, after being 21 stone, which is really fat in kilos.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 07:26:05 am »

Stephen Fry was on TV last night.  It seems that he has taken up the gym, after being 21 stone, which is really fat in kilos.

Yeah, I saw the latest episode of QI, my favorite TV show now. I guess I don't care how he looks really - I just LOVE this man.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:13 pm »
I would definitely LOVE to go to a live recording of a BBC's comedy shows (they're at the Strand, not far from the gay clubs..  ;) ) like "QI", "Nevermind the Buzzcock" or "Mock the Week".. I know it's pathetic but I know I will scream like a little girl if I can see Stephen Fry live!

Failing that a night out in any one of the better comedy clubs in Soho would be fab too!

I think going to a live recording of QI is a fantastic idea! Shaun, I was interviewed in March 2007 by Stephen Fry for the HIV & Me programs he did. He was in my house for about four hours! Unfortunately, my portion got bumped to just a short video on the BBC website and I don't think it's available any more. I was sent a DVD of the entire interview - which I still haven't sat down to watch. Stephen Fry is a lovely man and comes across in person just like he does on telly. He's warm, funny and very down to earth. He's also TALL. He gave me a big hug and my eyes were just about level with where his nipples would be. I'm 5'5". I've attached a photo below of Stephen and me. You can't really see the height difference because he was bending his knees so we'd both be in the photo.

You know, I just might be able to track him down and ask for some sort of deal if we all go to a show - maybe we could meet him backstage! If there's an interest, I'll start looking into it.

Ann

[attachment deleted by admin]

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 02:45:21 pm »
So many places to see, but when you live here, you tend not to bother, I'm afraid.
Agreed. I should do some of things these guy write about!

I do enjoy the Haywood Galleries and Tate Modern.  I tend to skip the others, but did get a private showing of the new Indian exhibition in V&A!  That was fun...but rushed it to get back to the Champagne.

I also like walks along the canals...stopping at a local pubs every 45-60 minutes.

I think I saw something about Trade last year, so I guess it's still around; though there are plenty of places to do charlie in London.

You gotta do theatre, though they can be a bit expensive.  Take note of the half-price suggestion above.

In the summer there is always a festival going on during the weekends! 

I don't do markets, but there are loads (Camden, Spitalfields, Borough, etc..).  I hate being around lots of people....all that pushing and shoving.

At the moment I prefer going out East London (Hoxton Square/Shoreditch) than Vauxhall or Soho.  But you gotta try them all!

I love walking in London.  Lots to see.  I haven't done an organised walk/tour, but I hear they are good!  Also, like jumping on a bus and just going somewhere new. 

Offline leese43

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 03:00:32 pm »
I like Hampton Court and there are some good pubs along the river nearby too ;)
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline fearless

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 08:03:00 pm »
Cliff,

Hoxton Square was the place I was trying to think of - last time I was in London (way back in '05) there was a club there that had gay night that was full of skinny guys with long hair. i'm a sucker for skinny guys with long hair. it's my catholic/jesus fantasy.

Ann,

That would be great re Stephen Fry. QI has just started screening here and I love it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:04:57 pm by fearless »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:45 pm »
Does Trade still exist Philly? If it does, it is so last century.

Well darling, it was last century when I was there last.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 10:10:43 pm »
I think going to a live recording of QI is a fantastic idea! Shaun, I was interviewed in March 2007 by Stephen Fry for the HIV & Me programs he did. He was in my house for about four hours! Unfortunately, my portion got bumped to just a short video on the BBC website and I don't think it's available any more. I was sent a DVD of the entire interview - which I still haven't sat down to watch. Stephen Fry is a lovely man and comes across in person just like he does on telly. He's warm, funny and very down to earth. He's also TALL. He gave me a big hug and my eyes were just about level with where his nipples would be. I'm 5'5". I've attached a photo below of Stephen and me. You can't really see the height difference because he was bending his knees so we'd both be in the photo.

You know, I just might be able to track him down and ask for some sort of deal if we all go to a show - maybe we could meet him backstage! If there's an interest, I'll start looking into it.

Ann

Nice Ann! I still have several friends working in BBC (mainly in the international news section) and when I popped the question to one about tickets to show last time when I was in London (last August) she told me that there's very strict internal policy on staffers against "getting their friends in" for shows... but in any case she did check for me and found that there was no scheduled recording for QI at the time..

Consider he's also sort of an AIDS activist, I wonder if we do have a formal gathering during the AGM whether we can send him an invitation ?!
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline frankt

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 11:14:13 am »
walk all day long. lunch at the botanist on sloane square. stay at the durley house on sloane or my favorite the Pelham across the street from S Kensington tube. St. Pauls. Amazing,bombed in WW2. Check out tribute to US soldiers behind main alter as well as the crypt where many of the empires greatest are buried. nothing better than piccadily and convent gardens at night. please look the opposite way when crossing streets. ride the tubes. best city in the world.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.