Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:44:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 534
Total: 534

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First blood work numbers are in. Feedback please!  (Read 8586 times)

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
First blood work numbers are in. Feedback please!
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:35:19 am »
My doctor called and said the following numbers were in vl 17,000 and 384. He wants me to start Atripla. What are your thoughts? Does this sound right? They took 9 vials of blood and I really trust this guy. He has been very supportive and of course him being gay is a big help. He has about 250 hiv patients.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Re: First blood work numbers are in. Feedback please!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:01:08 am »
My doctor called and said the following numbers were in vl 17,000 and 384. He wants me to start Atripla. What are your thoughts? Does this sound right? They took 9 vials of blood and I really trust this guy. He has been very supportive and of course him being gay is a big help. He has about 250 hiv patients.

Hmmm.... remember this always:  it's your choice, not your doctor's, whether you take meds and what meds you take;  and you need to take those choices based on as much logic and knowledge as possible.

Now, were I in your shoes today, I'd be torn between the CD4 and viral load indicators.  You were not quite at the common trigger point of CD4=350, but damned close;  and the viral load isn't THAT high.  If I didn't start meds now, I would re-test in two or three months with a concrete set of target numbers in mind that would trigger taking meds.

As for the choice of meds, it's nice that there's a one-a-day option;  however, it does contain Sustiva with its potential effects on your nervous system, like feeling hung over or groggy for days as you adjust or not.  Viramune plus Truvada would be a one pill in the AM, two in the PM, combo from the same drug classes and without the CNS effects.... how would the doc feel about that?  would you be able to handle it? 

Best,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline indyguy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:14:31 am »
Well being new to this I have put everything in his hands. He did say I was right on the brink. He also said that if I wanted he would prescribe me a anti-depressant to help with side effects and overall stress of everything. But he said that was up to me. I am a little worried, I suppose that is normal. The deductable is going to be high and on my income that sucks. What to do? :'(
Meds doing well so far.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:15:03 am »
Do it.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 11:30:57 am »
Hey Indy

Follow your heart and if you trust your doctor then start. It will not hurt you to get another lab test in a month or so to see if they went up or down. If they went up than perhaps you can wait a little longer but your number kind of indicates that it is time. You have the choice to start in a few weeks or in a few months. Did your doctor do a geno test to find out if you are resistant to any drugs? Most people aren't resistant to any drugs but there has been an outbreak of people newly infected who are. Don't read to much into the side-effects because it will only worry you more than u need to.

Al
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline indyguy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 11:56:09 am »
I think he did. He has about 250 patients so I am sure he knows whats up.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 01:34:18 pm »
I'd get another set of labs and then see what they are.  Yes, you're close to the 350 range, but your viral load isn't really high.

You have the luxury of time with those results... I'd wait.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 02:05:22 pm »
I think he did. He has about 250 patients so I am sure he knows whats up.

Even though he has 250 patients doesn't mean he will get everything right with every patient.  My ID doc is one of the leaders in HIV medicine where I live and has been doing this for a long time. At my second visit he gave me my initial labs and was going to recommend medications and realized he had not ordered the geno test.  So we did that one and then got my meds.  Things sometimes fall through the cracks so be diligent in your healthcare.  In deciding meds I went with what was best for my lifestyle with out major regards for side effects and choose meds that would be easier for me to be adherent.

Good luck
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 07:14:31 pm »
Indy,

I don't care how many patients your doctor has, one thing he doesn't have is a crystal ball. You can't really tell anything from one single set of labs - and your numbers are actually quite good. Your next numbers a couple months down the line could very well be in the 4 or 500s. You are in no immediate danger and you do have time to consider your options.

Please have a look at my post here: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=8821.msg107430#msg107430

Your CD4% is also a very important number. You can read about it in this lesson: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1122_4727.shtml

You do have time to learn more about hiv and the meds. They are a big commitment and if you aren't really ready to start taking them, you could be setting yourself up for trouble in the future. Please don't feel pressured by your doc to start sooner than you need to.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline indyguy

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 01:06:55 am »
I will discuss this with him. Thanks for all the feedback. Not wanting to take meds if I dont have to not to mention the expense even with insurance. Thanks everyone you all have been a big help. Michael
Meds doing well so far.

Offline tinydaniell

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 02:06:05 am »
indy another thing that you might want to do is to get a copy of all blood work ask if he did a geno or pheno test that way he knows what drugs study up and go to www.rxppa.com to see if you can gat some assistance on the drugs

Offline tinydaniell

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 02:15:21 am »
sorry its www.pparx.org

Offline PJC0510

• Life is worth living, so live it while you have it
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 08:46:28 pm »
My first results (April 15, 2006)  were TCells 130 and the VL around 9000...My doctor who is gay also, put me on Truvada and Kaltera, which I am still on.

My last results (Jan 7, 2007) were Tcells 379 and the VL undetectable.

I left it in my Doctors hands also and it is working out with the numbers.

I went through the beginning side effects of the meds, and do not want to go through any of that again.  As long as the currents meds keep doing what they should be, I will not change.

Good Luck!  Keep us informed of how everything is going!

Peace, Love and Happiness!
I may never beat HIV, but then again, it will NEVER beat me!

Offline Fosbery

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 05:04:01 pm »

Hey everyone,

I'm curious about something, my numbers are pretty much where Indy's are, and his ID doctor wants to start him on meds at 350, I have one if not the top ID doctor in my area and he's been my doctor for around 15 years. He told me that the magic number to start me on meds is 300, is this something that changes doctor to doctor or by whom ? I have only known about this about a year now and still so confused by all the medical terminology and do's and don't's. I'm going to Europe for 6 weeks in September and I would rather not have to worry about meds at that time. Does anyone know if it is better to start at 350 or 300 ?  I'm going for my 3 month test on April 9, I hope it goes up some but it seems that everytime I'm tested my CD4 goes down by about 20. Any feed back on this. I know how Indy feels, I also know I would like to go as long as I can without being on meds. But if I have to go on them for my sake earlier I most certainly would.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.