Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: new injury old injury  (Read 43499 times)

Offline wolfter

new injury old injury
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:34:52 pm »
Well started leg therapy today and I have all the funk cleaned off.  Can finally sleep in a proper bed.

Now the not so good news.  I fell up the steps last night (seems to be going around lately?)  My hand aches like hell is swollen badly.  I'll give it a couple of days to see if I need to return to the hospital.

Good hand

swollen hand
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: new injury old injury
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:37:23 pm »
Are you just embarassed to tell us you're a masochist?  There are easier ways.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:44:37 pm »
Are you just embarassed to tell us you're a masochist?  There are easier ways.

:o beginning to think so myself.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:33:36 pm »
Wolfie,

We are NOT in a contest to see who can injure themselves most frequently!!!

I do have to say -- I would go get that hand checked sooner vs. later.  That swelling looks just like my hand did when I broke my wrist last year.....  Hopefully, yours is not broken, but waiting will serve no purpose other than to postpone finding out for sure.

The leg looks good though!!

Hugs,
M

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:37:55 pm »
I must be copying you Mike. :)  I think I'll head to the doctor's tomorrow.  The fingernail is turning dark and the pain is getting worse.  I oh so hope nothing is broken but I have a nagging fear it is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:29:07 pm »
wolfie, wolfie, wolfie...

what's next??? ???
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:13:53 pm »
I'm so sorry for your foot and hand injuries Wolfie.  Please get that hand to a doctor ASAP.  Oh boy, you poor guy I hope you will heal well soon enough.

Jody :(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 11:01:01 pm »
So, how did you fall up the stairs?  I know there is the running joke that you drink too much boxed wine..lol. 

The stairs-- I went through a period where I would trip up the stairs.  I could be carrying a plate of food, and the plate would go flying.  I broke about 5 plates.  The other 10 must have been made well.  I think my shoes were to blame.  There's also the dogs that always seem to want to get right under my feet. 

My thing now is to bend over to pick something up near a table or the mantle, and I smack my head.  Or, smacking it getting into the car.  Beats the huge lump I got from a hail storm over the summer.  That hurt like hell.  I had a huge lump from golf ball size hail.  I was safe in the garage, but the tornado sirens were going off, so I made a run for the basement.  Here is where I'm not too bright.  We had a couple fireman helmets in the garage. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 06:57:16 pm »
I got corrected today, I fell up the steps, not the stairs.   ::)  I guess the difference is stairs are inside and steps are outside. 

And yes I did have a couple of cocktails but that couldn't have caused me to fall; I'm too much an expert for that.  Over the last couple of years, I've seemed to develop some sort of balance issue.  For a while I thought it was an eyesight issue but am beginning to think it's the the long term issues of fighting this virus.

I'm pretty sure nothing is broken as I can now move my thumb. 

I'll will be posting pictures of the bottle of white zin I've had chilling since before this all happened as I plan on sitting in bed and finishing the whole thing.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 07:07:16 pm »

I'll will be posting pictures of the bottle of white zin I've had chilling since before this all happened as I plan on sitting in bed and finishing the whole thing.

Now don't fall out of bed !  :o

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 07:23:04 pm »

Now don't fall out of bed !  :o

Ray

That reminds me of another story but I won't share it as it will debunk my conservative puritan gaydom.
 ;D 

Perhaps I should put the plastic mattress cover on for one more night. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »
That reminds me of another story but I won't share it as it will debunk my conservative puritan gaydom.
 ;D 

Perhaps I should put the plastic mattress cover on for one more night.

Don't forget to place the bed rails in the up position, or at least place a couple of chairs, against the bed, so you don't roll out.  ;)

I have just finished a bottle of champagne ( by Myself) and 4 bottles of Beck's beer, I am getting kind of toasted about now.

Ed's downstairs on the computer, and I am sitting here in the small bedroom listening to Fios, channel #1822 "Music of the 70's "  :P

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 09:36:24 pm »
I didn't have any cranberry juice so I'm drinking my zin straight up....ah...life is temporarily good.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 10:46:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure nothing is broken as I can now move my thumb. 

Do not be so sure.  I could move mine too, hell I played tennis for two days (mainly with my other hand, of course) - still my wrist was broken.  I hope yours is not, but that is pretty much how my hand looked.  GO GET IT CHECKED!!

Hugs,
Mike

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 01:48:13 pm »
Greg , I had  similar  problems a few years ago  mentioned to  DR  and he  suggested  that part of the problem is  with the  "neuropathy"  in the  lower legs/feet  caused by many  meds over time.....   so had a few sessions with a physical  therapist  who  helped with  correcting the   way  I  walked and picked up my feet...pretty good  at  not  "tripping or  stumbling" now

hope  you are  taking care of the  hand problem as well

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 03:34:39 pm »
Greg , I had  similar  problems a few years ago  mentioned to  DR  and he  suggested  that part of the problem is  with the  "neuropathy"  in the  lower legs/feet  caused by many  meds over time.....   so had a few sessions with a physical  therapist  who  helped with  correcting the   way  I  walked and picked up my feet...pretty good  at  not  "tripping or  stumbling" now

Nick

I've kinda suspected something else has been happening, but I am always slow to deal with things.  I've experienced quite a few issues with stairs and escalators.  I might have to look into it as I obviously can't take the occasional fall any longer.

I'm having my hand x-rayed Friday if it's not any better.  I have physical therapy tomorrow and Thursday and then a follow up appt Friday with the doctor.  My brother is dropping off his big F250 pickup for me to drive.  Guess I'm gonna do the left leg driving thing.  I don't blame him for not wanting to take that much time off of work.  And of course, it's quite a distance away.  It was very funny watching me get into his Dodge Ram Friday with my screwed up hand.  It sits real high and I had to crawl into it, literally onto the floor in order to get seated.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 03:44:39 pm »
I've kinda suspected something else has been happening, but I am always slow to deal with things.  I've experienced quite a few issues with stairs and escalators

i've been kinda clutsie the past few years too. not much of a problem with stairs (or steps ;)), but more problems walking into furniture and getting through doors. ::)
no injuries thus far other than lots of bruises. :P

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 08:34:08 am »
Perhaps I just don't have the brain power that I used to have as I'm confused as hell.  Since I had to go to Lancaster for physical therapy anyways, I stopped by the ortho center about my wrist.  I figured it was time to have it x-rayed.  She asked if I had an appointment which I didn't.  She then scheduled me for x-rays next week!!!!

What is the proper procedure?  If I fell and broke my arm, should I make an appointment?  Is it proper to go to the ER?  I guess I'm just a bit angry that they couldn't take a simple x-ray. 

They took measurements for a special brace for my leg and foot.  The doctor is now concerned there might be deeper nerve damage than first thought.  I should have already been walking without crutches which is not happening.  I think this doctor thought I was just being lazy but I know the difference between severe pain and and discomfort.  I guess this brace will take the pressure off the foot and allow mobility.  I certainly hope so.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:09 am »
that's awful wolfie! an appointment for an xray for a potential bone break?
did you question them at all?
and this from the same place that seems to be "less than on top of things" with your foot injury? :(

i hope the brace helps and you are able to get through this nerve damage.
boy, this is turning out to be a long haul.

take care.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 06:26:40 pm »
Wolfie....

a suspected sprain or fracture would generally call for a trip to an Urgent Care facility (an ER, if no UC facility around and/or you see bone sticking out).  They will x-ray you then and there.  I suppose you still can go to urgent care, rather than wait another week -- especially if it is still bothering you.
They certainly could have taken an x-ray for you, but I suspect it has to do with billing, etc.

Hope your leg and hand/wrist get better......  before all the snow and ice hit!!

Hugs,
M

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 06:34:15 pm »
When I broke my toe years ago I'm quite sure, since it wasn't an emergency, I made an appointment and had it x-rayed. Not in a hospital but a Foot & Ankle Institute of Temple Univ.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 08:07:46 pm »
Well, I broke down and went to our local urgent care facility as my appointment wasn't today with the surgeon like I had thought it was.  The pain was getting intense and the hand was turning yellow.

Turns out it is a complete fracture of metacarpal bone on the rounded end.  Not sure how good the pictures turned out.  The doctor at the care center couldn't tell me a whole, which is understandable.  Back to the ortho..woot..woot  I'm so over all of this.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 05:19:19 pm »
 :(
once again wolfie, what's next???

so, another cast?

i only hope that this is NOT the all-important wrist.
that would be a triple whammy! yikes! ;)

have i told you to "take care"? hmmmm.... :o

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 09:54:12 am »
Even though the surgeon doesn't know that I've fired him already, I'm following through the PT's decision to put me in a contraption that hopefully will allow me to put some weight on my foot.  Still can't do so after 3+ months.  I did not like the way the doctor spoke to me.  He pert near implied I'm being lazy.  I've had NUMEROUS injuried throughout the years and have always bounced back quicker than most.  I even crushed my entire hand and was able to use it after only 2 months.

Here is the new contraption that I have to use several times a day.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:41 am »
I really am getting so disgusted with my recovery.  My leg was broken in September and I'm still not able to put weight on it.  Thankfully I see my regular doctor this week and I'll be discussing the options with him.  Something just doesn't seem right.  Hell, my thumb is almost entirely healed already.

My ankle and foot still swell to about twice the normal size.  This just doesn't seem normal.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:46 am »
I really am getting so disgusted with my recovery.  My leg was broken in September and I'm still not able to put weight on it.  Thankfully I see my regular doctor this week and I'll be discussing the options with him.  Something just doesn't seem right.  Hell, my thumb is almost entirely healed already.

My ankle and foot still swell to about twice the normal size.  This just doesn't seem normal.
Make sure it is not the hiv medication causing the swelling.  My left hand and feet swelled up like a balloon and I had to switch hiv meds. I think it was sustiva that caused it.  As a matter of fact my body was sensitiveness to others hiv meds.  To lessen the swollen hand I kept it elevated above my head with a towel so to allow the fluids to drain out and squeeze or compress it, not enough to cause pain, to aid in the flow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:49 pm »
I plan on discussing this all with my PCP.  He is also my ID doctor.  He has already indicated I'll need to some bone density tests along with checking for osteopenia and such.  I added calcium supplements a while ago to hopefully build those bones up. 

Kinda strange that as we age, smaller framed people are at a higher risk for bone fractures than overweight people.  I have pretty much obsessed about staying thin my entire life and now it's possibly biting me in the ace.  priceless. :D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 02:11:34 pm »
My mom broke her ankle years ago and had to have surgery with pins and screws that was left behind to hold it all together . She still has swelling to deal with whenever she is active for the day . She asked if removing some of the hardware would help but they told her no , that because of the severity of the injury she was going to have live with the occasional swelling . You were injured quite badly Wolfe , Im wondering if you may have to except some limitations and a slow recovery ? . It sucks all the same buddy .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 09:02:44 pm »
My mom broke her ankle years ago and had to have surgery with pins and screws that was left behind to hold it all together . She still has swelling to deal with whenever she is active for the day . She asked if removing some of the hardware would help but they told her no , that because of the severity of the injury she was going to have live with the occasional swelling . You were injured quite badly Wolfe , Im wondering if you may have to except some limitations and a slow recovery ? . It sucks all the same buddy .

Thanks Jeff, appreciate it.  I have accepted some limitations but it's already been too long.  I expected to be returning to my exercising routine by now.  I thought I'd be running a few miles every morning instead of still limping around with a cane.

Also, my brother bought me a really neat cane that has a built in light.  You hit the switch and it's quite bright.  He says it'll help me see better and hopefully prevent additional injuries. :o

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:04:55 pm by wolfter »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 08:45:48 am »

Also, my brother bought me a really neat cane that has a built in light.  You hit the switch and it's quite bright. 

I'm jealous - you got your very own light-sabre! My stick (which I still need from time to time due to hip-joint issues) only has butterflies on it. A light would be too cool! 8)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 04:49:35 pm »

Nick

I had some ah ha moments last night.  I'm not sure how I missed this particular post.  I stood up again last night and had another fall.  I've described it as jello leg in the past.  I was talking with a regular customer after the incident and she mentioned neuropathy.  I immediately dismissed it as I never felt any pain.  I wrongly assumed it was always accompanied by pain.  She then told me that her neuropathy causes numbness in her leg including having a broken foot without even realizing it.

so after googling neuropathy for the first time, I found the following;

Peroneal nerve palsy7 is usually caused by compression of a nerve in the leg that runs by the neck of the fibular (the calf bone, between the knee and ankle).

Being emaciated and bedbound by illness can lead to the problem, which is also seen in thin people who habitually cross their legs.
◾It causes weakened ability to move the foot ("footdrop" - weakened dorsiflexion and eversion of the foot).
◾Occasionally, there can be loss of sensation in parts of the lower leg and foot.

Thankfully, I found this before my doctor's appointment Thursday.  I'm a little perplexed that this was never considered by my doc even after my telling him constantly about these episodes.

Now to try and break the habit of crossing my legs.  I do that constantly.

wolfie

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »
There was a guy by the name of Jim who used to post here years ago who had "footdrop" caused by neuropathy, caused by the early meds.

If I remember correctly, he had to get a special boot that kept his foot more/less at a 90 degree angle to his lower leg. (Basically there was no flexibility in the ankle portion of the boot.) I believe it was similar to a brace, only less noticeable as they just looked like boots. I'm pretty sure it was him who had this done, but I am definitely sure he had footdrop due to neuropathy. He had it in his signature line. Maybe some of you old FuseTalk days members remember him too?

I wish I could remember his screen name, I think of him often and wonder about him. He was getting on in age and ... well.... I just wonder. I hope he's well.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 05:29:48 pm »
I actually have a slight bit of that related to all of my foot problems -- you know with something like Charcot Marie disease though if you google that it's kind of what I have on the face of it, but with that electrode-whatever testing they did (twice) they seem to rule it out at least for now -- sometimes you can have it and it not show on that.

Anyway, just to caution drawing conclusions I don't have this because of HIV, though I do have in the same cauldron peripheral neuropathy mixed in with all of this, plus I suspect neuromuscular issues that haven't been properly diagnosed yet but I will discuss with my HIV doctor this week.

Of course, at the same time it's possible for something like this to be all HIV related -- there are things like myostis specific to patients that used zidovudine, but then there's also a wide variety of rheumatologic and musculoskeletal manifestations from HIV infection itself.

You may fine this of interest: http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-00&doc=kb-04-01-15

ps: I have a friend in my support group who has to use a foot brace, cane and a lot of fentanyl patches just to get around. I forget what his exact diagnosis for this is. Oh and wolftie I've not been able to cross my legs for several years, either sitting or laying, due to sciatic nerve/neuropathy. Lyrica has helped, but I still can't do it for very long if at all when it's really bad.

pps: I'd not be surprised if my HIV doctor sends me to a U-Penn rheumatology specialist so assuming that happens I will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:32:14 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Jody

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 09:27:36 pm »
Hi Ann...I believe Jim's moniker was fiskernish.  We all go way back to around the year 2000 or so here, hard to believe almost 14 years!  Hugs to you dear lady, hope New Year on the Rock has been good to you and yours.

Wolfie good buddy, I hope you will find relief from these awful injuries that have plagued you for so long.  Hugs sent your way too.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 07:34:56 am »
Greg, that's very, very interesting.  I hope you're able to discuss this with your doctor and that he listens to you.  I have problems falling, also.  In fact, this last Friday I was getting something out of the deli case at a store, bent over, came back up, and fell into the deli case.  My doctor said he believes it is caused from neuropathy.  He referred me to a physical therapy place to "restore balance," but I haven't started it yet and don't know if I will.

I wonder if there are others who have issues with this.  It would be interesting to find out.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:53 am »
I have PN and have noticed I have been stumbling allot but put it down to getting older .

When I first bought this house I had lots of heavy work to do around here and I had this thing that would happen a good bit . I would be working and all of the sudden my left leg would stop responding ... Wolfs jelly leg description comes to mind . Two years ago I was walking on the beach in lots of soft sand and it happened , It was disturbing and embarrassing . I was with friends and it was odd trying to explain why I was OK one minute and could barely stand the next .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 11:27:51 am »
In an odd sense, it's a bit comforting to know that I'm not alone in this.  I guess LTS membership has its rewards.  :) 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 11:29:41 am »
In an odd sense, it's a bit comforting to know that I'm not alone in this.  I guess LTS membership has its rewards.  :) 

We need to have bling out our walker party .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 11:44:06 am »

I'm sure others will share their vintage walkers.  ;)  I guess the good news is that I won't die a horrific death from AIDS but instead die a ghastly death from something as simple as walking.  At least falling to my death will be instantaneous. 

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 12:59:21 pm »

Miss P's walker will be an artisinal and functional piece of art, hand-crafted from sustainable materials in a local shop that is mere blocks away from his home.

;)
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 01:26:51 pm »
Miss P's walker will be an artisinal and functional piece of art, hand-crafted from sustainable materials in a local shop that is mere blocks away from his home.

;)

Actually Alexander McQueen makes lovely canes

ps: as far as "jelly legs" I have "jelly knees" which mostly only occur when I'm descending stairs, which of course with all the stairs I encounter isn't safe for me, so yet another thing I'm bringing up emphatically tomorrow with my doctor to be seen by a specialist and have imaging done. Well, unless he's snowed in an cancels my appointment which now seems likely.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:28:56 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 02:28:24 pm »
In fact, this last Friday I was getting something out of the deli case at a store, bent over, came back up, and fell into the deli case.  I wonder if there are others who have issues with this.  It would be interesting to find out.

Is it wrong that I smiled thinking of the imagery?  I guess we're all candidates for the "help, I've fallen and can't get up" widget.

Being the first round of LTS, one has to wonder if it's the virus or the old meds.  I'm seeing a common link between a lot of us. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »

ps: as far as "jelly legs" I have "jelly knees" which mostly only occur when I'm descending stairs, which of course with all the stairs I encounter isn't safe for me, so yet another thing I'm bringing up emphatically tomorrow with my doctor to be seen by a specialist and have imaging done. Well, unless he's snowed in an cancels my appointment which now seems likely.

I'm mostly ok with stairs but escalators scare the hell out of me.  I fell down on them a while back and I've discovered that I can barely handle them.  It's like a combination of motion sickness and dizziness at the same time.  Then throw in some F'd up vision and it makes for a good u-tube video.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 02:51:30 pm »
So do you also have arthritis issues developing as well? I forget if you've said so.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 02:58:04 pm »
So do you also have arthritis issues developing as well? I forget if you've said so.

Fortunately, I've not been stricken with that yet.  You'd think with bones as frail as an 80 year old lady's, I'd have complications from arthritis. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2014, 03:12:06 pm »
Fortunately, I've not been stricken with that yet.  You'd think with bones as frail as an 80 year old lady's, I'd have complications from arthritis. 

Don't worry girl -- maybe next year will be your year!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2014, 03:39:31 pm »
Is it wrong that I smiled thinking of the imagery?  I guess we're all candidates for the "help, I've fallen and can't get up" widget.

Being the first round of LTS, one has to wonder if it's the virus or the old meds.  I'm seeing a common link between a lot of us.

Hell no, I laugh when I remember what I must have looked like.  People probably thought I was f*** up. 

I wonder about the connection the virus has to this also, but believe my neuropathy started with old meds, like ddI and ddC, d4T etc (who knows the precise one since at that time neuropathy wasn't as yet admitted to by the medical community as a side effect).  I can say, however, that the tops of my feet now have almost a constant burn.  I also take Lyrica, 150 mg 3 x a day, but that barely touches it.  Of course, I haven't been without meds specifically for neuropathy for years, so I don't know what the pain would be like without them.

I read your issues with escalators.  I can barely handle those either.  I have a very, very hard time with dizziness/nausea at the slightest motion abnormality.  In fact, a couple months ago I had to ride in the company van with co-workers to Indy for a training.  I ended up in the second row in the van.  Upon having gone about 20 miles, I promptly had to pop Dramamine (I'm never without them, they're in my purse), and told the driver to turn on the fan, which I stuck my face under so I wouldn't puke.  I had horrible motion sickness with different adventures. 

One of my clients has AVN, and has had both hips and both knees replaced.  I have that in my knees and now have quarterly Cortisone appointments (for both knees).  They're not done at the same time, of course, but they are both done on a quarterly basis.  Knee replacement is too inconvenient for now.  Oh, and I don't have a walker, I do have an orthopedic cane, but out in the shed I also have a wheelchair.  Now, that I could decorate. ;D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »
I'm certainly glad I revived this thread as I feel better knowing my issues are more common than I believed.   8)

One of our AMG cities had a very steep escalator (probably a couple of hundred feet) to the subway.  I started trembling just seeing it.  Had I not been with a group, I would have chickened out.  Not surprising, after a few cocktails it wasn't as bad.  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2014, 05:54:07 pm »
I don't have trouble with escalators but I also live somewhere that has a lot of them so it's just something I'm used to. And my jelly knees are the worst when I am carry something down the stairs, like a basket of laundry, and I am obviously going down slowly. When I am not carrying anything and going down the stairs quickly it's not usually an issue -- just sometimes.  It's actually been going on for years and I just assumed it was connected to my podiatry issues and would "balance out" after my surgeries, but now I think it's not related hence why I think some imaging/xrays are in order.

I don't believe it's a "lack of exercise" issue seeing as how I'm going up and down stairs constantly and I have to walk everywhere since I don't own a car -- so if my doctor suggests this he will get a reading.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2014, 10:18:29 pm »
If the weather holds out, I see my doctor Thursday and will discuss it.  In addition to getting a referral.  Perhaps if we all discuss these issues with our doctors, we'll get some insight into the issue. 

On a side note, I'm finally going to have my dual inguinal hernias repaired.  My previous PCP did a referral 15 years ago and the surgeon wanted to fix them then.  Of course, I held off but they're flaring up quite often of late.  And they're becoming more painful.  This last time, I had to compress them for a couple of hours and I've heard the pain is horrid if they actually rupture.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.