Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 11:15:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773453
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 244
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anxiety on being infctious  (Read 6174 times)

Offline RC65

Anxiety on being infctious
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:50:50 pm »
I found this site a few weeks ago and found it very helpful and hope you can give some advice, support.

I was diagnosed with HIV in 1992.  I been in good physical condition all this time.  I have always suffered from anxiety and depression but have coped well with my HIV status until about three years ago when anxiety started to become a  greater problem than normal.  In April I changed from Efavirenz to Dolutegravir hoping this would help but it did not, in fact I seem to be getting worse. 

Lately I have been getting obsessed with infecting others. I have not been sexually active for many years but worry about things like saliva left on drinking glasses and crockery getting into cuts.   Yesterday I got home after a haircut and started thinking about this as a source of infecting others. 

My viral load has been  <50 with 3 blips since Feb 2005 and <20 for the last 3 years with the more accurate test.

Offline phenethylamine

Re: Anxiety on being infctious
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:05 pm »
Source: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/transmission.html

"HIV does not survive long outside the human body (such as on surfaces), and it cannot reproduce. It is not spread by
•Air or water.
•Insects, including mosquitoes or ticks.
•Saliva, tears, or sweat. There is no documented case of HIV being transmitted by spitting.
•Casual contact like shaking hands or sharing dishes.
•Closed-mouth or “social” kissing
•Toilet seats."

Maybe learning these bullets will help?

I get what your saying though, I sometimes feel uncomfortable wearing short sleeves around mosquitoes even though I know it's pretty much impossible... I'm ultimately able to remind myself I'm being irrational and forget it. If your unable to do so though, and it's interfering with your life then maybe see doctor about anxiety/obsessive compulsive disorder.

Offline RC65

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:52 pm »
phenethylamine.  Thanks for the reply to my post and the information.

I feel a bit less alone with my problems.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:48:06 pm »
You do not need to be so fearful regarding HIV.  The risk factors for HIV are ...

Sharing IV drug needles immediately after use.
Unprotected anal and vaginal sex.
Mother to child during or shortly after birth.
Very specific health care situations.

HIV is a very fragile virus that does not survive on environmental surfaces that we deal with every day.  You cannot get HIV from casual contact.  The risk for infection comes from unprotected intercourse, where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies involved.

You represent no risk to anyone, outside of intimate contact.  You do not need to fear exposing anyone to HIV in your daily life.  That is not how HIV is spread.

Joe

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:47:17 pm »
outside of intimate contact.
actually recent studies have shown that someone who has been UD (<20 IS undetectable) for at least two years (hopefully further study will show a more exact length of time) has a 0% chance of transmitting HIV.

No-one with an undetectable viral load, gay or heterosexual, transmits HIV in first two years of PARTNER study
When asked what the study tells us about the chance of someone with an undetectable viral load  transmitting HIV, presenter Alison Rodger said: "Our best estimate is it's zero."
http://www.aidsmap.com/No-one-with-an-undetectable-viral-load-gay-or-heterosexual-transmits-HIV-in-first-two-years-of-PARTNER-study/page/2832748/

So, for someone who has been UD for over 3 years, you certainly have no chance of accidentally transmitting HIV (because that really just doesn't happen), much less by intimate contact.

Of course, condoms and PrEP (with a negative partner) will help that 0% chance of transmission  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline RC65

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 10:19:40 pm »
Thank you for replying to my post and the additional information.

I am slowly improving and this forum is helping.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.