Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:07:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 265
Total: 266

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: dapsone - side effects?  (Read 6178 times)

Offline hussy_24

dapsone - side effects?
« on: February 04, 2007, 03:37:58 pm »
uhhh, well i was on septrin for about 2 weeks before christmas before i ended up with the flu and redness all over.

Now i've been on dapsone for about 2 weeks, and the side effects seem to be just as bad:
- a lot of tiny raised bumps on the underside of my forearm and i notice them too on the top of my hand
- urine which is sometimes darker than normal

then this weekend these effects happened to
- my neck/glands feels swollen and tender to feel
- general feeling of irritability
- general feeling of fatigue and boredom
- my face feels dry and hot
- last but not least a constant headache

is this usual?/ "teething" problems that will go away? i am currently taking 100mg once a day in one tablet

i'l contact the doc tomorow, have a appointment on wednesday, hope i can get by til then

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: dapsone - side effects?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:51:12 pm »
Hello Hussy - sorry to hear you're having problems.

From what I read, it sounds like it's a good idea you are contacting your doctor - found similar info on two sites:

"Possible Side Effects: SIDE EFFECTS that may occur while taking this medicine include nausea, vomiting, or headache. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor.

CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if you experience sore throat or fever; skin rash; loss of appetite; weight loss; yellowing of the skin or eyes; dark urine or pale stools; unusual fatigue; personality changes; or numbness, tingling, or burning of your arms, hands, legs, or feet. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist."

I got switched to Dapsone from Bactrim about a month ago temporarily and haven't seen these problems, at least that I can say are related to Dapsone since I am taking some other stuff as well.

Hope this is resolved for you soon - Good luck
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline poodlelover

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 02:58:54 am »
Dapsone can cause bad neuropathy
Connie

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 06:34:45 am »
Sounds like a reaction to the Dapsone.  Get to the doctor .........

There are other options for you besides Dapsone and Bactrim...
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline hussy_24

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:24:50 pm »
i previously posted about my reaction to septrin and then to dapsone. today, my doctor hesitantly took me off the dapsone thinking i just could have the flu instead but only time will tell if i dont feel better within a week or so :-\  i thought no way, i developed reaction to both septrin and then to dapsone at around the same length of time into their courses (at the end of the second week) so i guess all i can say is if you think you have allergies/adverse reactions to septrin or dapsone then you really have to fight and put your case forward  :'(

other stuff ->

i also collected my referral letter which i will need to hand to my new doctor on friday, along with all the medical spreadsheets and stuff i dont understand. i kinda picked out the stuff that was labelled abnormal:

1) various typos and errors on the actual referral letter  :-\
2) viral load rose from 18k to 51k :(
3) original cd4 from aug/sept lost (not mentioned, wonder why lol, put in this post for my sake of completeness), cd4 in november was 219, cd4% not listed but was around 19% i think, latest cd4 pending
4) low platelet count, generally it is rising (rose from 130 to 138 to 147), but still not in the lowest of the "normal range" (of 150-400)
5) liver function tests - protein and globulin levels are always above the "normal range" but not by that much
6) sodium is also always above the normal range, but again not by much
7) cmv IgG is positive :-\ - i had a brief look on the net to find out what this even is  :-[ , and found it can affect your eyesight, i had explained about floaters before (i do wear glasses) but i think i will bring this to my new doctors attention when i see him on friday, seems concerning.

I am not on any HAART medication yet, although because HAART itself can help somewhat against allowing cmv retinitus to occur, i'l probably start asap just for that reason.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:01:26 pm »
Hey Hussy - hope the new doctor works out well.

Just a quick mention about CMV - almost everyone (with or without HIV) has CMV in their body but it doesn't become active unless you can't fight it.  It showed up in me and my doctor put me on Valcyte (a very expensive med if you don't have insurance) to prevent any trouble and it seemed to work well.  But the Valcyte can also lower your white blood cell count and mine went to zero for awhile so I have stopped taking it for now. Also, from what I have read the CMV can attack other organs but eyes are a primary problem.  I have been checked by an opthamologist 4 times in 3 months and so far no problems!

But be aware of the symptoms besides floaters and talk to your new doctor about it...

Good luck
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Esquare

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:30:20 pm »
Dapsone was the first HIV related drug that I was put on by my doc. I took it for about 2 weeks with no problems and then I came down with a terrible fever that I could not keep down. I ended up panicking and going to the emergency room in the middle of the night. What I should have done was call my ID Doc and he might have saved me some grief. I saw him the next day and he said due to the rash I was showing plus the fever it must be the dapsone causing the problems. I stopped using it and the problem went away. Some people have no problem with it though. Its a cheap drug so I wish it would have worked. I still look at the bottle in my cabinet and just sort of shake my head and thank god I don't have that fever anymore.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.