Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:03:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773222
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 604
Total: 606

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: dating in general  (Read 11125 times)

Offline remo2008

dating in general
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:39:58 am »
Has anyone really read any of the dating profiles? They read like applications for a job resume, demanding certain qualifications, such as education, social economic level, being of a certain religious category, having a certain height, weight, handsome, beautiful, petite, muscular, etc, etc, the list is just long too list. My view is if you have decided too date HIV+ your pool of potential mates is limited, yes, and with all these conditions and requirements you have further limited your pool! Imagine how many PHD's are in this 1.9 million HIV+ and remember one never see's even 2% of these 1.9 million post ads on HIV+ sites, Or how many rich, wealthy women/men exist in this 2% who do post? Now imagine how many saints exist on this 2%? Do you really wonder why your faced with disappointment, inability too find this "perfect person" who simply does not exist..., I like the old biblical quote, we all have fallen short of god's glory, and none not one has been good enough, but via his grace we all can be saved...! If one approaches love, romance like a business, one is already dooming ones self too failure..., love is elusive, and true deep love is rare and precious and cannot be quantified by wealth, education, social economic standards..., one can find truly in love people in all social economic levels of society, and same applies with unhappiness, 50% plus of americans who marry divorce, so one is handicapped too start off, with this statistic. Now further cut your chances by demanding such high standards that no one can meet them, and do your really wonder why your so disappointed in love? I have always viewed lifes benefits and failures as "but for the grace of god there go I", one usually associates this with misfortune, but it can also be related too success, but for the grace of god there go I, just as anyone can end up like us but for the grace of god, so can we find happiness, but if we demand of others such high standards of social economic, educational, status that we reduce our chances of finding that person, whom should we blame, those who we meet and do not meet our standards or us for setting such ridiculously unrealistic standards? I never view what one has materially, socially, economically, religious as a requirement for them being good enough or not good enough too be with me..! To me that is utter doom too failure..! Does not mean one has too accept a user or abuser, but remember everyone has capacity too be good or bad, and until we understand this we simply will not find anyone who meets any high minded standards. In any event this all being said, if one wishes too be alone all ones life, keep on setting your standards at the impossible too meet level.., this is my point and some will understand it, and some will not..!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: dating in general
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:59:19 pm »
Oh, the dating game. I have stopped playing it. I agree with Remo on certain things but has not given up on love. It is sad that things have come down to stability basically. You want someone who has something to contribute besides love, I know I do. Love is a wonderful thing but let's be real love doesn't pay the bills. And as my mother use to tell me, I can do bad by myself, I don't need help. So, I can understand wanting someone who can contribute.

Despite that, I still believe in love, I just feel with the way the world is today, it is hard to find. It's sad that  people are more into looks than what is in the inside.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:47:32 pm »
First, I must apologize if I missed a point or two in Remo's post... I find it difficult to read unbroken paragraphs, I mean it lovingly. My eyes just can't focus and I lose my place easy.

Dating in general is a horrible game, especially when it's being done on the internet. It's difficult to really narrow down the pool when you set higher standards.  Personally, my standards are high, but I recognize the fact that we are all humans and no one is perfect.

I am one of the lucky ones who married till 'death did we part', we had a wonderful marriage of 12 years, and a 16 year long relationship. I believe in love at first sight, and I believe in a love that grows over time, be it a short or long period of time.

I'm a true romantic, yet I'm realistic. When I love someone, it's with my whole being and not half.

Once you have loved and lost, and you feel you are ready to fall in love again, your standards are based on the previous love lost. So, you tend to want that same feeling, but under better circumstances. Thing is, when love happens, it happens, like a slap in the face - wake up - good morning call, it happens!

Enjoy life, enjoy love... and yes, I'm sorry if this is all sappy ... but I'm finding myself falling in love again.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:51:49 pm »
IzPoz said: Dating in general is a horrible game, especially when it's being done on the internet. It's difficult to really narrow down the pool when you set higher standards.  Personally, my standards are high, but I recognize the fact that we are all humans and no one is perfect.

I totally agree. Internet dating is like playing a game of craps. The best thing I do is stay real and true to myself and I look for men who are the same. I have some standards set also and no one around my area seems able to fit the bill. I must admit I haven't been in love in awhile so maybe I am being a bit jaded....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:06:47 am »
Amen Queen!! Real and True to yourself always, and the right one will eventually fall into your lap!
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline lori13212

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:33:33 pm »
Hi everyone - I just want to provide a "positive" side of the dating game. I'm a 45 yo female who was diagnosed when my husband became very ill in 2002 - bad tattoo - anyways he did not deal well with his diagnosis and changed dramatically as a person - into not a very nice one so that was the end of that!!! I KNEW that I wanted somebody in my life - 2 teenage kids had to be balanced out somehow!!! I don't mean this to sound like a "pitch" or anything but I signed up on pozmatch.com and met a great guy. I live in Upstate NY & he lived in Atlanta. He suffers from neuropathy so is on SSDI and I have a decent job here and don't t hink I could move my kids away anyway. We talked on the phone for 100's of hours made a few trips back & forth and he moved up here in Jan 2005 - Maybe it's a heterosexual male thing but he to did not deal well with his diagnosis - told people the same lies my husband did - that he had stomach cancer????? But I have helped him work his way through this. I am very open about my status - everyone I work with knows and have had very few bad experiences. I did struggle about telling my kids - I didn't want them to think I was dying but I didn't want them to think that HIV was no big deal either so I did eventually tell them and they make the choice as to what friends they tell - sorry - I've gotten off topic. I never would have done the online dating thing without this disease and maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones but it's worked for me - I grant you he does piss me off at times but anybody would - positive or not!!!! Thanks for letting me share - Lori

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 05:25:03 pm »
There are some success stories with online dating, you just don't hear about them as much as the bad ones. Glad you found someone...
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 07:06:11 pm »
Heard both good and bad tales of dating, glad you got a great one!
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.