Bienvenido(a), Visitante. Por favor, ingresa o regístrate.
Abril 27, 2024, 08:15:37 am

Ingresar con nombre de usuario, contraseña y duración de la sesión

Usuarios
  • Total de Usuarios: 37654
  • Latest: Horse777
Stats
  • Total de Mensajes: 773295
  • Total de Temas: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (Junio 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Usuarios en Línea
Users: 1
Guests: 611
Total: 612

Bienvenido

Bienvenido a los Foros Comunitarios de POZ, un área de discusión contínua para personas con VIH/SIDA, sus amigos/familiares/personas que los cuidan, y otros a quienes les interese el tema del VIH/SIDA. Haz clic en los enlaces que siguen para visitar nuestros foros, o participa de la conversación al inscribirte en el sector izquierdo de esta página.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here(Members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí(Sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Advertencia sobre la privacidad: Ten en cuenta que estos foros están abiertos para todos y que se los puede encontrar haciendo búsquedas en Google u otros buscadores. Si eres VIH positivo y lo revelas en nuestros foros, es lo mismo que decírselo al mundo entero (o al menos al mundo entero en Internet). Si esto te preocupa, no uses un nombre de usuario o una imagen gráfica que pueda identificarte de alguna manera. No autorizamos borrar nada de los que escribas en los foros, por lo tanto piensa antes de hacerlo.

• La información que los moderadores y miembros comparten en estos foros, está diseñada para complementar, y no para reemplazar la relación entre un individuo y su médico de cabecera.

• Todos los miembros de estos foros, en consecuencia, no son considerados proveedores médicos con licencia. De lo contrario, los usuarios deben identificarse a sí mismos como tales.

• Los miembros de los foros siempre deben comportarse con respeto y honestidad. La publicación de guías, incluyendo políticas de suspensiones y prohibiciones han sido establecidas por los moderadores de estos foros. Haga clic aquí para las guías de publicación de “¿Estoy infectado?” Haga clic aquí para leer las guías de publicación relacionadas con todos los otros foros comunitarios de POZ.

• Solicitamos a todos los miembros de los foros que proporcionen referencias sobre la información relacionada con la salud/médica/científica que brinden, cuando no se trate de una experiencia personal que estén compartiendo. Por favor proporcionen enlaces con direcciones de Internet completas o citas completas de trabajos publicados que no estén disponibles en Internet. Además, todos los miembros de los foros deben publicar información que sea verdadera y correcta de acuerdo con su conocimiento.

• Los anuncios de productos – incluyendo enlaces, banderas, contenido editorial y estudios clínicos, estudios o participación en encuestas – está estrictamente prohibido por los miembros de los foros a menos que POZ haya asegurado el permiso.

¿Has terminado de leer esta parte? Puedes cerrar esta o cualquier otra ventana en esta página haciendo click en el símbolo de cada ventana.

Autor Tema: In regards to strains.  (Leído 2340 veces)

Desconectado Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
In regards to strains.
« en: Enero 08, 2007, 11:19:24 am »
I am a bit confused. The more I read about virus strains the more it indicates that those of us newly infected are most likely to carry a strain resistant to all or most drugs. I asked my ID Doctor this and she laughed and said No, back int he 80's there was no such thing as a geno test, but she didn't answer my question.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Desconectado racingmind

Re: In regards to strains.
« Respuesta #1 en: Enero 08, 2007, 12:15:56 pm »
Hope,

You need to have a genotype test done. This will determine (actually it's a prediction) of what drugs you might be resistant to according to the strain of HIV you have.   I had it done immediately after my diagnosis, and thankfully it predicted that I would not have resistance to any of the current antiretroviral drugs.  But, since I'm not on meds yet, the reliability of the prediction has not been confirmed.... Ask your ID doctor about genotyping if you haven't already had it done. The less resistance you show = the more options you have concerning meds if a particular treatment fails.  Try not to stress about it until you have more information.

Dxx
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Desconectado bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Respuesta #2 en: Enero 08, 2007, 12:48:07 pm »
Ihavehope,

Really -- try not to stress about this.  Hopefully your doc is running (or will order very soon) a Resistance test on you.  This will give you the answers you seek.  In the meantime, keep remembering to breathe -- it really and truly can help with the anxiety that dealing with your new diagnosis entails.  There are so many possible regimens available that it is very unlikely you would be resistant to them all.
I do want to bring something up that is very important though -- if you ask your doctor a question and she doesn't really answer it for you -- say so and ask it again.  Now is not the time to worry about how your doctor might view you --- it is about making sure you get the answers you need (and the care you need, of course).  If you start feeling uncomfortable about asking questions to your doc or constantly are presented with "non-answers" then it may be time to consider finding a different doctor. 
Remember that you two are partners in your care -- communication and understanding are key components of this care.

Let us know how things go,
Mike

Desconectado poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Respuesta #3 en: Enero 08, 2007, 04:23:10 pm »
Well to help I hope, yes, back in the 1980's we didn't have either genotyping tests or viral load tests.  We also didn't have the meds now available, so when someone infected someone else, he or she got the virus resulting from whatever it had done within his or her partner and all the partners that partner had had back to the beginning.  Think of the flu strains, perhaps, which mutate and the flu shots we get try to hit based on what we should be seeing in any given year?  Or you may have heard of the infections in hospitals and in sports which have mutated around antibiotics, hence the concern about the overuse of antibiotics.  If you try to stop/curb/kill something out there in nature, it's survival depends upon its being able to work around what you are doing. 

The theory (someone will have the research urls) is that when you got infected, you received the strain present in the person who infected you, but it wasn't the Adam and Eve strain:  it was the strain which combined any number of mutations so that if, for example, someone was on and off a medication and his or her virus had figured out how to work around it, that is what you inherited via infection.  Put a lot of these mutations together, and you or any one infected now could inherit any number of mutations in your particular strain.  I hope this oversimplification helps a bit.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Desconectado sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Respuesta #4 en: Enero 08, 2007, 04:28:42 pm »
Resistant to all meds?  Highly unlikely.  The majority of folks get infected with a strain that allows almost all meds.  According to my doc about 15% of all new infections are resistant to Sustiva (which is what I have).  That means 85% of new infections are good to go with all the drugs.  It is always good to start with a geno/pheno test so you can start on a therapy that is known to work for your virus.  Since I am resistant to meds, I started with a PI based cocktail which works great for me.  Do not panic, just get the geno/pheno type test and get a cocktail that works right the first time. 
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.