Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:47:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 216
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New to This Board, Recently Diagnosed, and Just Put on Med  (Read 10470 times)

Offline PosMedStudent

New to This Board, Recently Diagnosed, and Just Put on Med
« on: April 24, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board and was diagnosed on 3/28/11. I found out about my HIV+ status through the physical examination required for immigration visa to a Caribbean island to attend medical school. I was completely shocked, devastated, and wanted to give up my life when I heard of the news. I cried a lot and haven't found anyone in my area (Kansas, USA) to talk to. I haven't told my mom or anyone in my family yet and will not tell them until I feel the right time to disclose to them. I feel shamed and being a disgrace to my family 'cause my mom raised me very well with family values and I'm very close to her. I made mistakes in my life, learned from them, moved on and now agree with my status. I reached out to body.com and this board for support. I'm very grateful for the support and info that you guys posted on this board. I found them very informative and extremely helpful. You guys gave me hope, support, strength and the courage to get back on with my life. I realized that there's still a wonderful life after the diagnosis and I still can follow my dream of becoming a physician. I just need to focus on my health and school now and deal with whatever that will happen next.

I was referred to an HIV doctor in my area by a case worker. She had my blood work done and my lab results were: CD4: 443 and VL: 9000. She recommended treatment for me and put me on Atripla. I'm already married to the drug. I'm leaving for medical school next Wednesday and worried about the next month supply. The case worker told me that she would work with the pharmacy to see if they could overnight it to me monthly. I will have to talk with the pharmacy in person tomorrow and work with the case worker to get this resolved before I leave.

Anyway, I took the FIRST pill of Atripla at 1.45am (4/24 on Easter day) on an empty stomach and laid down nervously (I did pray before I took the pill). I've been having terrible dry mouth at nights during sleeping nowadays and don't know why. I had some WEIRD dreams. The dry mouth woke me up in the middle of the night. My body was so warm. I went to drink some water and to the bathroom and then went back to sleep. I had WEIRD dreams again until I got up at around 10am this morning. I felt so groggy, sluggish, and tired. Oh my God, I've never felt this dizzy before in my entire life. I fixed some breakfast and then managed to put some clothes on to go to church. I couldn't hardly concentrate at the church due to the dizziness. I came back home after the church and ate lunch. The dizziness is gradually doing away as I am typing this now.

I need some help and advice from you guys. Are the side effects of dizziness and difficult concentration going to be like this for a month or longer? If so, I will have major problems with studying in medical school. I don't mind those weird dreams, but the dizziness seemed to last the entire morning and will definitely interfere with my function. Any helpful tips about how to handle or manage these side effects are greatly appreciated. On the side note, for some reason when I woke up in the middle of the night, I had a raging HARD-ON (still don't understand this). Also, I'm worried about the living conditions in the Caribbean island due to being away from my doctor and being unable to access to med and everything else like in the US. I did voice my concerns with my doctor and she said that I should be fine and told me to get some mosquito repellent spray.

I'm going to take my second pill tonight and let you guys know how I feel the next day. Thanks so much everyone on here for your help, support and wonderful advice! I hope you all are doing well.

PosMedStudent

Offline MiniPozToyota

Re: New to This Board, Recently Diagnosed, and Just Put on Med
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 09:18:29 pm »
Welcome to the site, anyways I'm not on any meds yet and just found out in march, but what I've heard about atripla is that it takes a couples weeks for the side effects to wear off.... good luck
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:19:53 pm »
welcome posmed,
i was diagnosed in November and started Atripla shortly after on my birthday in early December. I can assure you that what you are going thru now will subside, the first week or so is the worse. I too had the hot feeling after i took it for a little while, but that went away after about a week or so.

The first few days i also had the dizziness the next morning and trying to work was a little difficult. My doctor recommended me to take it a couple hours earlier before my bedtime so that when morning came it would be less irritable.  This seemed to work for me very well, so instead of taking it at 145am, try and take it couple hours early so you can sleep it off.

I too get the hard-ons as well during the night and serious morning wood, but that is a plus in my book.  I currently have no side-effects at all these days with the exception of a vivid dream and a nice woody. So to answer your questions, you should start feeling back to normal in a couple weeks once your body gets accustomed to it.
mike

11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Maelrod

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:22:58 pm »
What can I say, just sorry for bad news. About the meds I been on atripla since September of 2010 a few months was a little hard for me cuz grogginess, this is a long way to fAllow you going to learn, like everyone here leArned from our  mistakes... Don't know your routine of day by day but shoult take your meds a kittle aerly than 1 or 2 am on the personal  I don't eat anything 3 hour before take my pill, and next day I'm  ok, but if a eat just a little piece of anything I'm sure will not sleep all night( personal advice ) to end good look w your meds and be honest w yourself Mael
Is better STOp living in the past, the I SHOULDn't doesn't exist.

Offline PosMedStudent

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:27:08 am »
Hi Mike, MiniPoz and Mael,

Thank ya'll for the warm welcome, support, and good advice. I had late dinner tonight around 8.30-9pm, so I will take it around 12.30am. I've been busy with packing for my trip and forgot about eating, but I will start eating early so I can take the med early about 3 hours after I eat. I will wait and see how I feel the next day. I hope the grogginess gets better. I usually work out 6 days a week and very much active during the day. I will try my best to get accustomed to it, but I guess that will take sometime. Also, I've been using this website to check for the drug interactions http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/efavirenz-emtricitabine-tenofovir,atripla.html. It helps a lot.

I feel so lonely here 'cause I don't have anyone to talk to. You guys on here so far have been my good friends whom I can talk and relate to. Every time I think about HIV status, I still feel a little uneasy and depressed, but I will not let that get me down anymore.

Again, thank you very much. I'm very grateful for your advice and support during this time.

PosMedStudent

Offline hope4love

• Every Problem has a Solution.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:49:15 am »
Hi Welcome to the Forum and I am sure this forum helps you to prepare oneself at all stage of HIV cycle. This forum and people here have helped  and provided me the knowledge and experience of efficient management of my HIV infection. Its a good decision that you already have started Aptripla and you will get used to this and the side effects will wean off gradually. I am on Vonavir similar to Atripla and did had Hard-On which I enjoyed, I did not had any other side effects which the Doctor had explained that I may have bad dream, drowsiness, mood changes etc etc, I was scared initially as I had not not told any of my family of my HIV infection. Its six months now after my medications and Its has become a routine to remember to take my medication every night.

You have mentioned that you came to know about your HIV status while on an immigration visa requirement for study in Caribbean island. So was there any issue with your HIV status for the grant of Visa? or it was a non issue? what was the reaction of immigration office when they came to know of your HIV status as few countries reject students to study in their native land with HIV + ve status. Appreciate if you could let me know about this as I am looking to apply to few foreign universities to study. Best wishes.
Jan 2009 - Sero Negative
Jan 2010 - Sero Positive
               CD4 - 275, VL - 18,000
Oct 2010 - CD4 - 241, Started - Vonavir; Oct 2011 - CD4 - 474;Jan 2012 - CD4-620; Aug 2012-CD4-600, VL- UD; Jan 2013 CD4-493, VL-72 IU/ml   (Blip)

Offline PosMedStudent

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 02:29:45 am »
Hi Hope4love,

Thank you for your support and the info about your drug treatment. I just took the second pill of Atripla about 15 minutes ago and just got done with praying. My only main complaint is the terrible dizziness that seems to last for a few hours. I hope it will wear off gradually like everyone said on here. I will see how I feel the next morning.

I sent my immigration visa application along with physician notes about my health and HIV status to my medical school in the US. They in turn will check and send my application to the Caribbean island country for visa processing. This is US medical school and they have the basic science courses down in the Caribbean island country so I have to move there for complete the first two years of medical school basic science requirements. I got an immigration letter from school to go ahead, but the visa won't be issued until I am actually on the island. I think the medical school knows my status. If there's any problem they will notify me in advance. I'm pretty sure they had previous positive medical students who completed their study and then came back to the US to do the clinical rotations. I also used a few websites to check the visa requirements for some of the Caribbean island countries, most of them do not have any entry restrictions except one, Dominica Republic, which has a slight problem with >90 days stay for HIV+ students. Other than that, most of them require an HIV test and if tested positive, a proof of current medical treatment has to be shown to indicate what medication is being taken and who the HIV doctor is in the US. I guess I will wait until I get onto the island and find out. I'm sure they will contact me once the semester gets underway. I hope there wouldn't be any problem 'cause I used the following websites that some people provided to me to check:

http://www.travmed.com/index.htm

http://www.hivtravel.org/

http://aids.about.com/od/legalissues/a/traveldi.htm

http://www.aidsmap.com/Countries-and-their-entry-restrictions/page/1255072/

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4965.html#D

Thank you. I will let you know if I get deported, which I hope it won't happen.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 06:15:44 pm »
Are the side effects of dizziness and difficult concentration going to be like this for a month or longer? If so, I will have major problems with studying in medical school.

Hello, welcome, sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

The concentration problems etc are from efavirenz (Sustiva), one of the meds in Atripla. It usually settles down in 2-3 weeks.

If things don't you can change seamlessly (the best way) to another combination. While this may, for now, mean 2-3 tablets rather than 1, there are many alternatives which are once a day, which seems the key point to me.

Personally, I would set a time limit on the efavirenz side effects, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, whatever, up to you, and if you're not happy at that point speak to your doc about a switch. Atripla is very effective, but there are many alternatives that work just as well.

- matt
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:17:18 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:12:12 pm »
I'll second what Mikey said.   The side effects will get better. Just make sure you take 2 hours after you eat. The feeli g hot in the middle of the night will get better.   Gotta love the hard on's.  Thats the best part of Atripla!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline AaronbytheC

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:12:43 pm »
Welcome to the board   :P

I found along with the advice of others above that drinking plenty of water with your meds helps me allot.  I usually drink a half of a 16oz bottle of water with my pill before bed.  Later in the night I usually get up to pee and I drink the other half and go back to bed.  I've never been dizzy or had brain fog in the morning.

Keep in mind the first few weeks on meds your body is really fighting the virus...  While your viral load is low at 9000, its still there and the fight is ON!  The Atripla is giving your body the tools it needs to kick the bugs to the curb!   ;D  Once you've beat the virus into submission many of the side effects will lessen or go away.  (There is always the chance you'll be one of those who just never gets use to Atripla and will need to switch, but give it a chance before you make any changes)

You may get a rash in the next two weeks, so be ready for that...  

Things will get better over the next month for sure!  

Oh, the the middle of the night wood...  Yes, I get that too but I don't really look at that as a bad side effect!  hehehe   :o

Good luck!   ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:22:44 pm by AaronbytheC »
04/2012 CD4 721 / 29% / VL UD
02/2011 UNDETECTABLE!
12/2010 CD4 587 / 24% / VL 210
11/2010 Started Atripla
10/2010 CD4 420 / 18% / VL 13,500
09/2010 CD4 541 / 17% / VL 10,500
08/2010 CD4 498 / 18% / VL Not Taken
07/2010 CD4 307 / 18% / VL 9,500
06/2010 Confirmed Poz
03/2010 Infected
06/2009 Neg

Offline PosMedStudent

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:25:04 pm »
Hi Newt, BuginMe, and Aaron,

Thank you so much for the info and wonderful tips. I took the second pill last night an hour earlier than yesterday. I woke up this morning and felt just a little bit groggy, but a lot better than yesterday morning. I think the grogginess did get better and I hope it will go away soon. However, I still felt a little warm all over my body (not like fever). It's just warm. I was able to function well for the day. After I ate, I felt more energetic. I hope the drug continues to work well with my body and the side effects will subside soon. As for the rash, I guess I will have to wait and deal with it once it comes on. Aaron, you're right about taking plenty of water with the pill. That's what I did. I drank a lot of water with it and then drank some more before going to bed. I didn't have much of the weird dreams like the first night I took it. Yes, the middle of the night wood is still there and tends to last as long as I'm up. I couldn't beat it down 'cause it doesn't go down!

Does it make any difference if I take it an hour sooner or later in the night? Sometimes I tend to eat a little late due to study and workout schedule.

I am so grateful for you guys' advice and support. I will see how I'll feel the next morning after I take another pill tonight.

Hope all is well with ya'll.....Thanks a million!

PosMedStudent

Offline thelovedones

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:24:39 am »
Welcome to the forum; you're going feel better.

I'm fairly new here myself and while I know it totally sucks, it's good that you're seeking support and taking an active role in your treatment and your mental health. These forums can really help keep you sane and cared for.

I started Atripla on March 16. The dry mouth and groggy mornings were my only side effects. Alas, no extreme wood. I now have a new doc who specializes in HIV who I saw for the first time on Friday and the "empty stomach" question is one of things I asked him about. What he basically said was that by taking it before bed and on an empty stomach, it helps to minimize whatever side effects you may be going through. If you take it with food, you may actually increase those side effects. As for the rash, my understanding is that it eventually subsides within a month. That said, taking it with food or on a full stomach or in the morning vs. before bed does NOT reduce or impede the efficaciousness of the drug. That's what I was most scared about. I had this fear that if I didn't take it at exactly 2.5 hours after I ate, it wouldn't work.

This may have come up already, but having a doc who specializes in HIV primary care, can really make all the difference. They're just better equipped to answer questions like this.

All the best to you
2/26/11 – Diagnosis at State Dept of Health (anonymous testing center)
2/28/11 – Oral Swab Positive diagnosis and confirmatory blood test taken
3/4/11 – Confirmed HIV Positive diagnosis; blood drawn for T-cell count, VL, and medical profile
3/11/11 – VL: 192765, T-cell: 195
3/16/11 – Prescribed Atripla and took Pill 1
4/29/11 - VL: 413, T-cell: 311
6/28/11 - VL: UNDETECTABLE, T-Cell: 437

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Offline PosMedStudent

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:57:30 pm »
Hi TheLovedOnes and everyone!

Thank you for the great info and advice. I really appreciate it! I took the third pill last night and woke up with a feeling of nausea. I drank some water and laid down for a little bit and it went away. However, the upset stomach, tiredness, and feeling uneasy on my stomach bothered me the entire morning. Is that common to everyone? Is it gonna go away as I am accustomed to the drug? I didn't notice much of the grogginess anymore except the upset stomach, which made me tired and seemed to fade away after I had lunch. I am worried about the side effects and don't know what else will happen next to me 'cause I'm leaving tomorrow morning for medical school.

The extreme wood in the middle of the night and in the morning is crazy and seems to last long and takes me a little while to finish peeing!

Thank you all for all the advice. Please help me and give me some courage!

PosMedStudent

Offline AaronbytheC

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 06:37:46 pm »
Feeling warm is normal...  Your body is really fighting off the virus right now.  It's not uncommon to get night sweats during this time.  When you are resting (sleeping) your immune system kicks into overdrive and really goes on the attack.

Remember your viral load of 9000 copies is "per ml" of blood (basically a drop), now think how many gallons of blood are in your system and do the math  :-\  You've got a lot of copies to kill off  :P

Things will get better once you've killed most of them off, that's why everyone is telling you about a month to adjust.  Some of us do it faster and some take a little longer but you will get there!

About timing on taking your pill:  My HIV doc told me Artipla is extremely forgiving (that's one reason it's so common to give it to us newbies).  She told me "just take it when you go to bed, every night and you'll be fine."  For me that can be as early as 9 pm or as late as 1 am.  It's only when you start skipping days that you're going to have issues.  Just use common sense, take it every night and you'll do fine...

As you become UD and more use to the meds you can get less and less concerned about how long it was before you last ate, but for now follow everyone's advice and try not to eat an hour or two before you take your meds. 

Stick with it, you're doing great!   :P
04/2012 CD4 721 / 29% / VL UD
02/2011 UNDETECTABLE!
12/2010 CD4 587 / 24% / VL 210
11/2010 Started Atripla
10/2010 CD4 420 / 18% / VL 13,500
09/2010 CD4 541 / 17% / VL 10,500
08/2010 CD4 498 / 18% / VL Not Taken
07/2010 CD4 307 / 18% / VL 9,500
06/2010 Confirmed Poz
03/2010 Infected
06/2009 Neg

Offline PosMedStudent

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 07:38:59 pm »
Hi AaronbytheC,

Thank you for the great info. it's good to hear that Atripla is flexible on the time as long as we don't skip any dose. I will never forget to take it. I'm married to it. For the side effects, I will have to bear with them for a month or more, but I will try to cope with whatever that will come next. You guys on here have been giving me the courage to deal with it. I'm very grateful for everyone's help.

Again, thanks everyone! and hope all is well with you guys! Keep in touch!

PosMedStudent

Offline frdfandc

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 04:28:39 pm »
I, too was just recently diagnosed with HIV and was put on Atripla ASAP.  I was told I would have vivid dreams, but it would taper off after a little bit of time - 1-2 weeks. I take it every night at 6 pm along with my meds for the pneumonia.

On March 21st, the doctor at the hospital (I was in for pneumonia as well) told me that my viral load was at almost 200,000 and the CD4's were at 17. Probably why I had pneumonia. I have a Dr.'s appointment next Wed with the Infectious Disease doctors, and will find out my CD4 count (they forgot to mark on the blood test form to check CD4 count). My viral load was down to 480 as of last Tuesday - April 19th. They were very happy with that.

The feeling warm is normal, as mentioned earlier, along with night sweats, which I really don't get anymore.

And I also get WOOD in the middle of the night. Makes night time bathroom stops more difficult.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:24:18 pm by frdfandc »

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »
oh yeah gotta love trying to hit the target in the middle of the night with a raging boner...i know the issue well.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline PosMedStudent

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 01:56:06 am »
Hi Mikey and frdfandc,

Thank you. I think the med is working well with me except some minor complaints about grogginess, but it's getting better day by day. I'm due back to see my doctor in the middle of August. I've been communicating with her via email because i am out of the country for school. I'm nervous about the next month supply 'cause my case worker said that she would mail it out to me. I hope I would get it before I run out of the med. I do not wanna miss a dose.

Hope everyone on here is doing well. I too hope that the functional cure will come in a few years so we don't have to take the med.

PosMedStudent

Offline thelovedones

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 09:32:47 am »
Make sure she gets it to you well in advance of when you run out...like say 5 days in advance. You dont want to be climbing the walls wondering when the mail is going to get there. You're new to this and you need your head on straight with as little stress as possible. But fear not, from what my doc said, Atripla has a very long half-life and stays in your system for quite a few days, so if it doesn't get there immediately, it's not the end of the world. As others have said, the problems come if you take it inconsistently.

I read what you said about not seeing your doc again for 90 days. I'm just curious if you're going to have any type of new blood work done after 30 days on Atripla. From what I've heard, that's the standard when you first start treatment. Others may want to chime in on this one. Isn't 90 days a little long to wait when you're first getting started on a treatment regimen? I'm asking purely as a newbie to this myself.

all the best
the loved ones
2/26/11 – Diagnosis at State Dept of Health (anonymous testing center)
2/28/11 – Oral Swab Positive diagnosis and confirmatory blood test taken
3/4/11 – Confirmed HIV Positive diagnosis; blood drawn for T-cell count, VL, and medical profile
3/11/11 – VL: 192765, T-cell: 195
3/16/11 – Prescribed Atripla and took Pill 1
4/29/11 - VL: 413, T-cell: 311
6/28/11 - VL: UNDETECTABLE, T-Cell: 437

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Offline PosMedStudent

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 12:19:16 am »
Hi thelovedones!

Thank you for your concern and caring! I had talked to the pharmacy manager and my case worker before I left town. The pharmacy manager said that he would send me 3-4 month supply, but it has to be approved my the state and my case worker. My case worker said that it wouldn't be any problems and she would mail or overnight 3-4 month supply of the med to me while I'm in school here until I get back to the States in August. I gave the pharmacy manager and my case worker my school's mailing address (its safer to send it there). You're absolutely right about the required blood work after 30 days on Atripla, but I am far away from my doctor's office so she said that I could get it done once I'm back in town in August. They have already scheduled the appointment for me. I've been keeping a close contact with my doctor and she told me to email or contact her immediately if I need anything or have any emergency. She's very supportive of what I am doing and also said that I would be doing fine.

I would also like to hear other people's thoughts on the treatment regimen for newbies like us. I am a little nervous, but hope I'd be doing fine and won't die soon.

Thanks everyone for your support, advice and caring!

Love
PosMedStudent

Offline ruralguy

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 05:06:18 pm »
Hi- 

I started with labs close to yours and I have been on atripla for 18 months.  I went negative fast and my CD4 has slowly doubled. 

I experienced about 4-6 weeks of ever-decreasing common side effects.  The dreams went fast.  The sort of buzzed and hung-over feeling took a while longer to go away.  But now I have no side effects at all. 

I take my dose in the morning, first thing when I get up because it is the easiest way for me to reliably fit it into my daily routine.  I never forget it, but I hardly ever even think about it. 

I get labs and see my doc 3 times a year.  I was a total basket case in the beginning but now, honestly, I don't think about it much except when I have an doctor's appointment coming up.  It doesn't have much to do with my day-to-day life which rolls on pretty much as before.

So, congrats on entering med school.  You will be able to both learn about and experience one the the recent feats of medical science - being a healthy poz person.

Good luck in school!

tested positive June 19, 2009
7/3/09 vrl 9000 cd4 - 300
8/14/09 cd4 - 350, 20%
started Atripla 9/14/09
10/5/09 vrl undetectable, WOW so fast!
12/28/09 vrl undetectable, CD4 - 615  27% cholesterol down, kidney function normal
4/26/10 vrl undetectable, CD4-600, kidney and liver numbers normal
9/9/10 vrl undetectable, CD4-685
1/3/11 vrl undetectable, CD4-700
all 2011 and Jan 2012 visits vrl undetectable CD4 ranged from 715-645
5/7/2012  vrl undetectable, CD4-615, all liver, kidney, lipids, heart functions, etc normal

On Atripla:  "Your mileage may vary"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.