Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 362
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: blips  (Read 9950 times)

Offline Matths

blips
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:06:25 pm »
Hello,

I was diagnosed in march 2019, started on Triumeq and switched to Dovato about 6 months ago when it became available. Responded to Triumeq and became U within 4 weeks, and remained that way wit Dovato. However, I developed a blip VL 37 after about 3 months on Dovato (maybe triggered by labial Herpes?), then U 4 weeks later, and now 2 months later another blip with VL 67. Are blips in general more likely in the early phase of treatment (during the 1st year) relative to more stable treatment. I have 100% compliance with medication, so that can be ruled out. Thanks for sharing your experience with this topic.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: blips
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 12:16:43 pm »
Hiya,

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the diagnosis but glad that you have started treatment.

How are you doing generally?

Regarding the blip, what did your doc say out of interest? Anyhow overall to me seems your meds are working and you're doing well for the first year,  The VL trend is below 50 copies despite the switch with only one "Micro" blip above 50 copies of 67, so the medication is working in that regards as designed.

The first year some tiny blips would not be uncommon and you are only a few months in, neither would it be uncommon to micro blip during a switch. It would be more alarming if it was a trend into 100's or 1000's

This 3 pager is worth reading through as it gives some great real-life context to blipping. https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/hiv-aids/news/online/%7B8373ca63-674d-4015-ac35-f4da653c7415%7D/qa-understanding-persistent-low-level-viremia-in-people-with-hiv

Best, Jim

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment
http://i-base.info/cd4-count/

Low-level blips & treatment

https://www.poz.com/article/viral-blips-raise-risk-hiv-treatment-failure
http://www.aidsmap.com/Spanish-study-gives-reassurance-small-HIV-blips-do-not-predict-treatment-failure/page/3085173/

4289 individuals - very low level viraemia (20-49 copies/ml) was not associated with subsequent virological failure when compared to persistent suppression below 20 copies/ml

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3308904/

3550 participants blips of 500–999 copies/mL were associated with virologic rebound, whereas blips of 50–499 were not.

In addition, there is the theory that no resistance and good adherence micro blip are due to a release from the viral reservoir perhaps including defective copies being released.

Defective copies - 90℅ or more of HIV in reservoirs are rejects
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160808150523.htm

Viral blips (50 - 500 copies) during suppressive antiretroviral treatment are associated with high baseline HIV-1 RNA levels
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4915053/

https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/hiv-aids/news/online/%7B8373ca63-674d-4015-ac35-f4da653c7415%7D/qa-understanding-persistent-low-level-viremia-in-people-with-hiv

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Matths

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 12:22:22 pm »
Hi, thank you for replying. This is helpful. Overall, I am doing very well. No side effects, no symptoms. Started treatment with a VL 47,000. That is why I am concerned about these blips.

Offline Matths

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 12:24:34 pm »
The doctor is not concerned. Met him a couple of days ago and he attributed it to the herpes (1st blip), and a minor cold the 2nd. He did not even consider switching treatment, and since I have no side effects I would prefer staying on Dovato also given that the clinical trial data are very convincing.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 12:28:43 pm »
Perfect, sounds like you have a good doctor, stick with them.

You only had 1 tiny blip above 50 copies and that is not an indication of any treatment issues so no reason to worry or to think about switching.  Relax  :)

If I stressed every time my VL was fully suppressed between 0-50 or about single blips over 50 I would have died years ago from a heart attack.  :)

Overall, I am doing very well.

Glad to hear it and stick around.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:32:31 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Matths

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 09:09:17 am »
I will bc this forum is important in moving on with life.

Btw, the control VL was NOT DETECTED <20.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:18:27 pm »
Glad to hear all is well.  :)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Matths

Re: Dovato works well for me
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 09:04:55 am »
Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on my situation after a little more than a year on Dovato. I had a blood draw recently and my VL<20 UD, CD4 increased to 475, all inflammation parameters are within the normal range, as are liver, kidney and lipids plus glucose. So, all good here. Must get out of the Covid lethargy and exercise more again but I’m happy that the treatment works very well. Thought I share with the forum these good news to give back to all who gave me so much during the weeks after receiving the diagnosis. Best Matt

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 12:14:13 pm »
Glad to hear things contuine to go well.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:29 pm »
Glad to hear it is all coming together for you. Stay on track, keep taking the pill and enjoy your life.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.