Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:50:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 500
Total: 503

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HPV-16 and Anal Cancer  (Read 5491 times)

Offline MarkintheDark

HPV-16 and Anal Cancer
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:44:59 pm »
This is probably as good a place as any for me to draw on your experiences.  I'm a 26-year LTS.

I have anal warts that have worsened the past six months, and particularly the past month.  The pain became obvious during an unrelated hospitalization last fall, when I was prescribed topical pain relief.  So, too, tub baths have helped.

My doc did a PAP this week which came back positive for HPV-16.  He noted the visible external warts were probably pre-cancerous, but also noted there was nothing internally.  My additional concern, of course, is that the PAP is internal.  My understanding, too, is that HPV-16 is responsible for 92% of anal cancers.

He's scheduling me for a follow up with a proctologist.  I expect either cryotherapy or excision, plus biopsy.  tbh, I haven't quite digested all of this yet.

I'd like to hear from those of us who've gone through the process.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:50:03 pm by MarkintheDark »
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline edfu

Re: HPV-16 and Anal Cancer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 01:36:20 am »
A PAP is only the first phase.  If that is positive, the next step must be a high-resolution anoscopy.  Unfortunately, not even  all proctologists perform this.  You should really try to find one who does.  Your doctor, who I presume is a GP, should not presume there is nothing internal without the anoscopy.  Cryotherapy or excision would indeed then follow after the anoscopy.  This is not necessarily a grievously horrific procedure.  Sometimes the troublesome areas are removed and then biopsied, and sometimes they are biopsied first and then removed if necessary.  It is all extremely
controversial, because no definitive standard procedure for anal cancer has been developed--and this is a medical scandal. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 10:21:23 am »
Ask for a AIN screening :https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5314201/

I have mine done every other year. Our hospital refers and encourages all male hiv+ patients to have such screening done

Offline flashdance

• Reach out and touch me....
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 08:10:52 am »
Hey, peeps! Thanks for the heads up with this....I appreciate it!
You are never alone...and if you start to feel lonely....search me out...or grab your cat!

Offline harleymc

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 10:12:44 pm »
This is in response to  edfu

It is all extremely controversial, because no definitive standard procedure for anal cancer has been developed--and this is a medical scandal. 

Actually there was a high intervention / high rates of surgery intervention in place for years. However recent studies have shown that much surgery can be avoided by a monitor and wait and monitor approach.

The scandal was the high surgery rate that didn't have any evidence base.

Offline CanadianExpat1983

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:09:49 pm »
Heard from my pharmacist that HPV vaccine GARDASIL makes the anal cancer less aggressive (better to get it even if you are already infected with high risk HPV genotypes).
Seroconverted and diagnosed in Aug 2017.
On treatment since Oct 2017,U+ since Nov 2017.
On Genvoya CD4 count ranging between 850-966. (Nov 2017-present)
MMR, Tdap, Hep A/B, Gardasil-9, Pneumovax 13, 23, Meningococcal

Offline fabio

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 06:35:45 am »
Hang in there Flashdance.
It's a really painful thing I went through as well. My wart was internal and had reached 7 to 8 mm and it was incredibly painful and I would bleed (gush) out blood when going to the bathroom. My doc told me that the wart itself didn't show any malignancy in the labs,but it had malignant growth.
That was actually how I discovered my diagnosis. When I was at the gastroenterologist,he recommended I do an hiv test and it was positive. He told me I had  a buschke and Lowenstein giant wart. And it was probably the biggest thing that affected my psychology at the start of the diagnosis.
Anyways,I did surgery,removed the damn thing and now I had no problems since then it's been almost a year and a half since then.
Everything will go alright,things will get better. I hope you get better soon and you get rid of that thing. Sending all my positive energy to you ❤

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.