Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:32:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 195
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: what would delay the seroconversion?  (Read 21262 times)

Offline frighten1

what would delay the seroconversion?
« on: February 08, 2009, 06:51:33 pm »
I got ARS in the 10th day after a risky encounter. Low grade fever, mild night sweat, and feeling chill.
The fever went away after 4 weeks.
Started in the 6th week, I learned about HIV and get extremely nervous. Then I notice my tonsil is enlarged with some white patches, a small lymph node also detected around the neck, and the night sweat continues everyday till now (the 12th week).

I tested in the 6th week (42 days, elisa), it is negative.
I tested in the 11th week (78 days, elisa), it is negative.

Now in the 12~13 weeks, I suddenly get low grade fever again (37.6 Celsius), headache (start at 7pm) and malaises. The funny thing is that my profuse night sweat stops! I am wonder, am I getting seroconversion??  I went to see a doctor. He can’t find anything else wrong with my body and kick me out by telling me to wait for another 3 months to rule out HIV.

I am felling very bad physically and mentally helpless!
I think any of you hear has better knowledge than my family doctor, please let me know what maybe wrong with me and what should I do?

Offline RapidRod

Re: ARS and Seroconversion.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:12:29 pm »
What was your exposure?

Offline scaredoflonely19

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:17 pm »
Omg this sounds like my story. I feel like I started ars 3 1/2 weeks after exposure. I had a slight fever 100.1, extremely tired, back, aches, arm, legs, nightsweats. Then I started to to like bruise easily. If I pinch myself I would bruise for a day or so. About three days after all this I had toncles swollen with white patches on them and pus would come out if I squeeze them. I tested at 4.5 and 8.5 weeks negative for hiv and all that other good stuff. 4.5 on elisa rapid then 8.5 on a antibody test my doctor gave me. Around 7 weeks after exposure nightsweats can back. I still now remain with swollen toncles and glands in my neck. Ooh yeah I also felt a small lymp node under my chin one time too. It now went away.

Maybe this is a new hiv thing? Lord knows.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:52:38 pm »
OK...can you read the welcome thread and start your own thread please.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:03:04 am by HIVworker »
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline scaredoflonely19

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:06:20 am »
oops srry im  new to this I didn't know we had to post a new thread. But hey mr. Hiv researcher what do you have to say about these post? Just a lil curious. My exposure was unprotected anal without ejections

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:48:13 am »
scaredoflonely19, keep all your questions and concerns in your own thread. You are not permitted to post in any thread other than your own. 

Offline frighten1

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:54:42 am »
What was your exposure?
unprotected vaginal with a sex worker.

My question is that after the ARS in week 2 to week 4, is it possible that the seroconversion happen in the 13th week?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 05:35:18 pm »
Fright,

Your eleven week negative is not going to change. Test at three months to be absolutely sure, but don't be surprised by your negative result.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline frighten1

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »
It is more than 3 months now. I'm really afraid of taking the test. If I can, I would rather choose to live happily without think of it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:10:00 pm »
fright,

Your eleven week negative is NOT going to change, so enough with scaring yourself silly. Just go take the test and get it over with. We're not here to hold you hand while you fret about testing.

If you keep posting over this situation, you'll be given a time out. You don't have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline frighten1

hiv and hbv
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 10:20:27 am »
I got this from government web sit.
Does this mean a HBV carrier person would have late seroconversion?

http://www.hiv.va.gov/vahiv?page=pr-kb-00&kb=kb-05-03-04&tp=HIV/Hepatitis%20C%20Coinfection&tpage=prtop06-01-rr&sec=02

"HBV coinfection does not appear to influence the rate of HIV progression but may be a surrogate for factors associated with HIV seroconversion."

Offline RapidRod

Re: hiv and hbv
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 10:38:32 am »
Return to your original thread. Read the posting guidelines that are located in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline frighten1

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:42:23 am »
I got this from government web sit.
Does this mean a HBV carrier person would have late seroconversion?

http://www.hiv.va.gov/vahiv?page=pr-kb-00&kb=kb-05-03-04&tp=HIV/Hepatitis%20C%20Coinfection&tpage=prtop06-01-rr&sec=02

"HBV coinfection does not appear to influence the rate of HIV progression but may be a surrogate for factors associated with HIV seroconversion."

Offline frighten1

Re: hiv and hbv
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 10:45:07 am »
Sorry Rod, can you remove this thread?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:28:08 am »
HAV, HBV, nor HCV will cause a late seroconversion or lengthen the testing time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 12:05:04 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

No, none of those factors would lengthen the time for testing beyond 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline frighten1

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 05:29:44 pm »
Andy and RapidRod, Thank you very much for the info.
I always think the HBV and HIV are some how tightly related. Years ago, when my HBV became active (liver enzyme became high), doctor order HIV test on me.
One more question, I have read that the HARRT treatment on HIV & HBV can cause the HBV flare up. Would the HBV also flare up if a HBV person infected with HIV?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 05:33:50 pm »
Nope. I've never had an HBV flare up due to HARRT.

Offline frighten1

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 05:38:42 pm »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:57:43 am by frighten1 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 09:10:43 pm »
It's past time for you to be carrying on about the various you continue to try to throw into the mix and feed your fears. Ann has told you that your 11 week negative is EXTREMELY unlikely to change. And that is certainly so.

You're on the verge of a time out here.

Get busy with other things, test and collect the negative in two weeks we expect you to get and get on with your life.   
Andy Velez

Offline frighten1

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 11:05:13 am »
Hi Andy, from the symptoms I am having, I believe I’m infected. If I am conformed with +ve on paper, my life will be 100% screwed up from now on.
I’m wondering what other options I can possibly have. Should I just move on with my 11 weeks test result and leave some uncertainty for the next 6 to 10 years? This way my life may be 50% mess up. There’s another 50% I can occasionally with smile on face.
I’m struggling.…
I read so many in the “Mental Health” section talking about suicide, I wonder if they ever regret of finding out the truth.
…. Signed..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 01:12:00 pm »
Cut out the drama. Of course you should get tested and collect what we expect will be a negative result.

Wringing your hands for years and worrying and wondering is just plain ridiculous. Stop feeling all sorry for yourself. It's an insult to everyone here who is living with HIV and working hard to have a good life.

Get tested and get your negative result. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline frighten1

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 10:07:11 am »
In last 3 weeks, I start having join pain which I never experienced before in my life. My neck also stiff with mild pain and my body still suffer with cold flash once awhile in evening. Lymph nodes are still behind my ear and near my throat.

Thanks Anne and Andy’s encouragement/yelling that I did my 4 months rapid test. Surprisingly it is negative.
I’ll do one more at 6 months mark and at the same time to investigate if I got some other type/strain of virus that the ELISA can not detect.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 01:05:46 pm »
Fright,

You don't need further testing. You ARE hiv negative. Keep posting about this CONCLUSIVE NEGATIVE result and you'll be quickly given a time out.

Keep working with your doctor to discover what, if anything, is going on with you. Whatever it is, it is NOT hiv. You do NOT have hiv!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline frighten1

what would delay the seroconversion?
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 09:42:27 pm »
I knew PEP would.
How about HBV treatment, i.e. Baraclude?

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2008icr/AIDS2008/docs/082908_e.html

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: what would delay the seroconversion?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 03:48:33 am »
Frighten

I have merged your threads, please use this one to ask any questions from now on...thank you for your cooperation.

Only a small group of people seroconvert after the 13 week window period, this group includes those who are receiving immuno-suppressive therapy after transplant procedures, cancer patients who are receiving chemotherapy and long term injecting drug users.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 05:44:01 am »
Frighten,

You ARE hiv negative, conclusively so.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline frighten1

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »
Sorry Ann, I’m back. I believe for those who are still here after 3 months and get banned are the one indeed need more help. I have negative Anti-body over 3 months, but continuously suffer from systematic virus affected illness (i.e. join pain, neck pain, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue, night sweat, malaises and low white blood cell count). My doctor wants me to test in another 3 months, but I couldn’t wait any longer.
I want to do virus load, CD4, CD8 count test in either US or Canada. I’m a Canadian, live less than one hour from Niagara Fall.
Can someone tell me how to get such test done?

1.   In Canada, Dr would not do virus load test if anti-body is negative. I have been suffer long enough and don’t want to wait any longer
2.   In US, do I need a Dr’s lab order? Where and how to find a doctor (say in Buffalo, or somewhere near Niagara Fall).
3.   If I don’t need a Dr’s note, where and how can I get a test done in a lab?

Thank you very much for your help, appreciated!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 08:57:07 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 06:13:32 am »
frighten,

Those who are here more than three months probably do indeed need more help - but it is help we cannot give.

Your doctor will not give you a viral load test because they are not approved for diagnostic purposes. They are prone to false positive results and if you got one of those, well, you think you're "suffering" now? (give me a break!)

You do not need further testing. You ARE hiv negative. If you cannot accept your negative results, then you need to seek out counseling. We cannot provide that for you here.

If you continue to come back here to question your CONCLUSIVE negative result, you will be given another time out. Please consider yourself warned for the last time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 08:24:57 am »
fright,

You sent me the following PM. I'm responding here in the forum because you're not supposed to PM people about your hiv concerns and you'd know that if you'd bothered to read this thread. like you're supposed to.

Hi Ann, thanks for your honest opinion. I’ll find a way to do the viral test.
This is my sixth months. The current symptoms are mild join pain, neck pain and tense/uncomfortable rear head where it is above the neck at the back.
I understood that the symptoms and seroconversion time are very individualized. I’m not going to post anything on the web which could make the others more anxious.
Thanks and have a good day.

You've already been told that you do NOT need the "viral test", as you call it. You are conclusively hiv negative. And besides, viral testing is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes as it has a high rate of false positive results.

You've already tested conclusively hiv negative. Whatever is going on with you has NOTHING to do with hiv. You do not have hiv. Go see your doctor to find out what, if anything, is wrong with you. Whatever it is, it has NOTHING to do with hiv. You don't HAVE hiv!

The other reason I've responded to you here is because I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about and you wouldn't have been able to see a PM. This is your second and final time out. If you come back after your time out to continue to question your conclusive negative, you will be permanently banned. You may only come back to this forum with a new concern.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!

Ann
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:30:41 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.