Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2022, 12:46:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 36540
  • Latest: benben
Stats
  • Total Posts: 765093
  • Total Topics: 65186
  • Online Today: 113
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 95
Total: 97

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Do I Have HIV? / Re: HIV on water
« Last post by Jim Allen on Today at 12:39:58 am »
I am sorry to hear that your partner was recently diagnosed, and I hope they are doing well. Has your partner started treatment?

I'm not sure how recent the diagnosis was but if you had been sexually active with your partner before their diagnosis, then make sure to test six weeks after your last possible exposure with a blood-drawn (lab) HIV antibody test. A non-reactive result at that time would rarely change, and retesting at three months is generally unnecessary.

You should also know that with treatment, people living with HIV can live long and healthy lives, just like their HIV-negative peers. Also, the additional benefit of treatment is once someone living with HIV has suppressed the HIV with meds for 6+ months and continues to take their meds, they can't sexually pass on HIV even if condomless intercourse takes place. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71864.0

In the meantime, if you do engage in sex with your partner, use condoms and consider talking to your doctor about PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention.
Do I Have HIV? / Re: HIV on water
« Last post by Jim Allen on Today at 12:38:11 am »
What are the chances that I contracted the virus on the activities here?

Zero!

The only way you will acquire HIV from your partner is through sex or sharing needles. It's that simple, HIV is extremely fragile and once exposed outside the human body, the receptors needed to infect corrode. Household contact isn't an HIV risk, and day-to-day scrapes, cuts, wounds etc., aren't a route for you to acquire HIV.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms, and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will removed
I Just Tested Poz / Re: Newly diagnosed and anxious as hell
« Last post by Allthefeelings on Today at 12:00:44 am »
Thanks so much for the reassurance Harley. It’s definitely going towards “I want to Live” just have to keep dodging Covid and keep myself busy.
Living With HIV / Re: Cabenuva problem. Im scared
« Last post by SFlSurvive on Yesterday at 09:46:47 pm »
Thanks for the reply Dave. I really just needed to vent. This resistance thing just really scares me. I am hoping for a good outcome because I really enjoyed not having to think about taking a pill everyday.  :)
Living With HIV / Re: Cabenuva problem. Im scared
« Last post by daveR on Yesterday at 09:12:30 pm »
Raise the issue with you health care provider. Unfortunately there won't be a great deal that can be done through the internet. If it is the same Dr who has been treating you from day one he should be fully up to speed with your resistance history.
I see no reason why you can't switch to another oral regime if required. There are many to choose from.

Dave
I Just Tested Poz / Re: Newly diagnosed and anxious as hell
« Last post by harleymc on Yesterday at 09:06:26 pm »
Good to hear all your figures have been heading in the right directions.

"I don't want to die" is a good starting point but hopefully will change to "I want to live",  and then to "I want to (insert hobby, holiday, fitness goal)"

You've passed the critical point, you'll be ok.

PS like others here I'm Bactrim allergic,  Dapsone saved my life back in the day
Living With HIV / Cabenuva problem. Im scared
« Last post by SFlSurvive on Yesterday at 08:08:42 pm »
So i started Cabenuva about 2 months ago. It took about 6 months for my doctor to approve me. I figured he went through all my charts to approve me. I have taken 2 shots so far. I recently went through ny charts and i had a phenotype resistance test in 2016 which shows I have a low level resistance to the ripilvirine which is one of the medicines in cabenuva. There was a genotype resistance test done in 2018 and it showed I was not resistant to riplivirine. So now i have been on this combo for 2 months and I guess I was not supposed to ve eligible for it. I dont understand how I was approved when I was not suppose to. Now i am scared I will become resistance to all the art regimens and my disease is progressing. I am scared and cant sleep. This is killing me. I was undetectable for 4 years on biktarvy now im afraid it wont work fot me again. This is horrible.
Do I Have HIV? / HIV on water
« Last post by benben on Yesterday at 07:46:45 pm »
My partner just recently diagnosed with HIV, and has rashes on his hands, it is not bleeding but has one tiny dried blood on his bands because of a acne like bump that is like been pricked. He also has some dried rashes and a like hard skin that contains water when pricked. Checked his hands afterwards and it's not bleeding but a tiny red dot on an acne is visible in his hands, I suspect it is dried blood. I'm afraid it has mixed with the left over water from the clothes and I got myself infected.

During that time he accidentally soaked his hands on a laundy pale with left over water with fabric condition (not so much concentrated) then I dipped my hands on it as well. I have like burned skin, I tried to add an alcohol but it doesnt hurt anymore but the scar was still fresh (I mean not yet darkened), it was shiny but no longer hurt when I add alcohol). The water in the pale mixed with fabric conditioner is like 1 liter.

An hour later, I have used the pale to fetch water for a quick bath, and I have wounds on my arm. What are the chances that I contracted the virus on the activities here? Any honest opninion about this?
Do I Have HIV? / Re: Anxiety taking over: Need some perspective
« Last post by Jim Allen on Yesterday at 06:37:20 pm »
Yeah, look, I suspect that nothing I say will fix your anxiety, and I will not even try.

If you keep having fears about HIV, then next to considering taking to a therapist, do continue to use condoms for any intercourse and consider PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention as it may also give you peace of mind.

I hope you can cope/manage these fears.

Is it true that the vaginal fluid which is infectious of HIV is up in the cervix and not necessarily around the vulva/opening/inner lips?

Sure, in short, the vaginal fluids from her Bartholin's glands are a lubricating fluid and do not have any more HIV present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears. Saliva, sweat and tears are not HIV infectious fluids.

The concern would be with the fluids far deeper up the vaginal track, also, the other barrier to your concern would be exposure outside the confines of the human body as it corrodes the receptors HIV uses to infect.
Do I Have HIV? / Re: Anxiety taking over: Need some perspective
« Last post by Gord56 on Yesterday at 06:31:18 pm »
Thanks Jim

I appreciate your response, even if it doesn't squash my anxiety right now it does help a lot so thank you.

Would you mind answering another question if you know the answer. Is it true that the vaginal fluid which is infectious of HIV is up in the cervix and not necessarily around the vulva/opening/inner lips?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2022 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.