Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:34:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 153
Total: 153

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi I´m new / help on histoplasmosis info  (Read 3808 times)

Offline macbett

• Hey ya!
Hi I´m new / help on histoplasmosis info
« on: September 12, 2006, 04:25:03 am »
Hi everyone around, my name is Marcello, 30-years-old, living with hiv for about 5 years...I got here seeking info on histoplasmosis, something I got last June, and still recovering. In fact, tonight, I think I hadn´t recovered. I´m getting again those rashes, some chest pain and the like. Does anyone know what can I do to fight it? (besides going to the doc...something I hate.)
I had Amphotericin B doses for about 11-12 days, back in July, but I did not complete the treatement...my veins were aching, I just couldn´t bare to have those needles inside me...my arms got hard from the meds...and I couldn´t afford the price of ITRACONAZOL...short on money, because of this f!*ng disease (I´m losing my job, little by little month after month).
So I was kinda expecting this new attack...is there anything I can do?
My T-cell count is 8. Am I really fuc*!d up?

By the way, I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Anyone from here?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Hi I´m new / help on histoplasmosis info
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 04:48:04 am »
Marcello,

Welcome to the Forums! It just so happens that we have another member here who's battling the dreaded histoplasmosis. I'm sure he'll check into your thread and share what he knows with you.I appreciate the troubles you're having with Amphotericin B. Ampho is pretty toxic stuff.

As for your CD4 count. 8 is a pretty rotten number doll, but I suspect you've worked that out. You say you're having difficulties affording the medications you need to keep you kicking over. Are there any non-profit or charitable organisations in Argentina who can help you out?

I'm sorry I can't be more help at this stage. Just welcome, and here's a

-hug-

Fond regards,

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 06:16:02 am »
Hi there Marcello

Welcome to the forums.

As I'm sure you are already aware that histoplasmosis is often seen in those with a weak immune system, such as cancer patients and of course those with HIV...this can become chronic if left untreated..you really need to start/stay on the Antifungal treatment, but I know this may not be easy for you, and I can see your numbers are not the best, so you really need to start checking out some kind of organisation who can help you..(as matty has already suggested)...you can't do this on your own, you are seriously in need of help...and all I can suggest is you do it now.

Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:28:00 am »
Marcello, Matty told me about your battle with Histo. I've been battling it for over a year. There is nothing that you can take OTC to battle this. Amphotericin B is the best thing on the market to get your levels down to a managable level, I've even had to take the IVs at home.  I took itraconazole for a year until I was put back into the hospital. The itraconazole did not work due to it being canceled out by my HAART medication. I'm now taking Sporanox (itraconazole) liquid. 600 mg per day. 400mg per day didn't work, my Histo level went up to 52 precent. I won't know till November if my level is going back down. My ID doctor is looking into something that is not approved yet by the FDA that is a new antifungal and she's trying to get me on it. I had to give up my job which I didn't have insurance anyway, to get this medication. You might want to have your ID doctor write to the company to see if you can get your medication for free. Good luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Rodney

Offline macbett

• Hey ya!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 09:34:13 pm »
Wow thanx so much, I really needed a quick answer, as ugly as it may appear to me...
I simply didn´t know Itraconazole was a long term treatment. 1 year taking those pills? OMG.
Silently is coming back, I am having the little red dots again on my face, itching a lot , a little fever, and pain in my extremities. And it´s causing me a lot of preoccupation, because last time I was hospitalized, that caused me troubles at my job. Actually, because of that, 50% of my salary has been cut off. I assume next time (hope there won´t be any at all) my boss will fire me...because of improductive time, or something. Because of that I am taking another job opportunity, beggining next Sept 18. I´m just a little afraid I won´t be able to bare 2 jobs...but in order to buy these medications, and paying the rent, of course :-) , I must work 14 hours per day.
Hmmm...I dunno about those organizations around (having pills for free?). So far I am having a med coverage because I work. If I lose my job, I´ll kiss goodbye the ARV pills, too.
I was having 3 days of treatment with Kaletra+AZT Complex when entering the hospital last July. Still haven´t restarted ARV treatment. You see...public hospitals are complicated, to say the least, around here.
But I saw the point (big as a mountain!): I must see my doctor, she´ll know what to do.
Thanks so much for your kind, yet to-the-point words...because of hiv I left behind my family, my city, my friends, so they wouldn´t have any worries or shame (Y´know). I now live thousands of miles away from them, and sometimes has become a little too lonely here. Guess I´ll stay around these forums.
Have a nice week!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.