Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 422
Total: 422

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New drugs vs old  (Read 6614 times)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
New drugs vs old
« on: January 13, 2007, 09:51:45 am »
Are the new drugs have less side effects than the old ones? Such as Lipo?
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
Re: New drugs vs old
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 02:22:35 pm »
Regarding lipoatrophy, Zerit followed by AZT and Videx are known to be the most frequent offenders.  Viread and Ziagen (along with 3TC) have not been implicated (even though this is carried in the warnings of all NRTIs).  Studies have also shown that there were more drop-offs due to side effects on AZT-based nuke backbone than Viread or Ziagen-based ones.

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 04:07:38 pm »
Thanks Gerry

Are people still prescribed Zerit AZT and Videx? My former employer tested poz in 90 and he has a sever case of lipo. Never asked him what he is on but he doesn't look healthy, he also does alot of recreational drugs so that can contribute as well. I just would wish that I didn't end up looking like he does or at least prevent it from happening too soon. Sorry if I offended anyone who is going through severe cases of lipo.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:49:33 pm »
Grrrr! Stop worrying about things that may never affect you!  Not to discourage you from educating yourself, but you're spending so much of your energy worrying about things that may never come to pass.  I believe that there is a good lesson regarding treatment naive persons, including the recommendations of the NIH as to first meds and their side effects.  It is likely that you and your doctor will choose something along those lines.  So, read up on those and make a list of questions to ask your doctor before deciding on the appropriate course of treatment.  You need to step back and re-orient yourself for a long and healthy life.  Don't worry about lipoatrophy yet - you could get hit by bus and end up looking worse than your former employer.

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 07:20:07 pm »
Ok Fondeveau I will take your advice and not worry so much. It's just that I am a worrier by nature, in case you couldn't tell yet.  ;)

I ask many questions because I want the best treatment for myself because I have one week before I start treatment if my numbs were at a higher rate I would take time and read and ask more intelligent questions. No attitude intended.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 07:36:08 pm »
Yes, you do worry.  ;) Make sure the doctor knows that.  It may determine which course of treatment the doctor proposes.  Its not a matter of an intelligent question - remember what they say about the only dumb question being the unasked question.  Rather, try to focus your energy as you say to achieve the best for you.  If you were in a position of extreme unction, your doctor would have put you in hospital and called the priest!  Your numbers aren't at all bad - many on these forums detail starting treatment at very low CD4 counts and very high viral loads.  I guess you should try to look at this like driving.  While you need to be aware of the things about you and the signs along the way, you have to focus on the road ahead in order to get anywhere.  You have a long road ahead of you.  Surely, there will be bumps.  But, try not to worry too much and enjoy the ride - positive or negative, you still have, but one life to lead - make it a good one.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:44:33 pm »
Yes, I have to agree, and I may have stated so before.  I realize this is all new to you as you were just diagnosed but you're entering the realm of over obsession on matters that you may not confront for quite a while if at all.  Education is good, but I've often said if I'd had access to a message board like this in '93 I would have ended up in a mental ward.

Maybe you should take a break from all of this until you hear more from your doctor.  The more you read the more you'll start inventing scenarios in your mind, increasing your anxiety (which is frankly already very high), etc.  Trust me... I know about all of this because I'm somewhat like you are in this respect (OK, not quite but I know the signs).  I bet you have one of those uber-worrysome mothers!  I know I do.

Go sign up for a yoga class and do some accupuncture or something to relax.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:53:20 pm »
Hi philly

Yes, my mother is as worrisome as me.lol.

1 month after being diagnosed and reading everyday 12-14 hours a day does make you sick. I have tried to do other things besides reading the past week. I was worned by people not to read.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 12:27:08 am »
try masturbating... that always takes my mind off of things :)

Offline CWD6474

• 38 year old gay male
    • TulsaChip
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 02:07:56 am »
 >:( >:( >:(

Yes people are still prescribed that horrible drug called D4T. I am currently taking unfortunately..
Grinch

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 03:01:43 am »
Is that the one that at first was a white horse pill that you had to dissolve in water?  I know I took it back a decade ago. 

Offline Esquare

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 09:43:29 pm »
try masturbating... that always takes my mind off of things :)

This has been my #1 side effect since becoming HIV positive. :o

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 12:43:00 am »
... it's never fun when there's more than one!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 06:19:42 am »
I believe the large pill was Videx, I think. They don't make it any more.

I still take AZT. I have for nearly 11 years. I do have a touch of lipo, but no neuropathy or other side effects from it.

D4T (Zerit) was known for causing neuropathy as well as lipoatrophy. I never took it.

But, then again, not everybody gets side effects. Some do, others don't. It still is a very individual thing.

I agree with what others have said. Don't get worked up about "what if." It may never happen and, if it does, then deal with it.

Worrying doesn't make things better.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.