Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 04:07:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 172
Total: 173

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP crisis receives NY Times front page attention  (Read 42267 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: ADAP crisis receives NY Times front page attention
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 11:11:45 pm »
Letter writing campaigns?  pft -- get your asses arching in the streets with a handful of pozzies taken to the slammer.  That's what the local Philly chapter did recently and not about ADAP specifically, but about the decrease in funds for PWA's special housing budget cuts.

http://actupphilly.blogspot.com/2010/06/photos-from-todays-action.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:14:39 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline edfu

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 02:15:16 am »
Go, ACT UP Philly!  Good for them.  The letter-writing I suggested, however, was to address an entirely different problem:   the media's continued incorrect reporting of the annual cost of antiretrovirals and other medicines associated with HIV infection.  Being taken to the slammer will not, I believe, affect their lousy reporting of this issue. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 08:19:45 pm »

For those in Illinois, Good News :

http://www.positivelyaware.com/2010/news_briefs/news_briefs_10_07_01.shtml#1

Governor Quinn Saves Illinois AIDS Drug Assistance Program

On July 1, Illinois governor Pat Quinn announced that the Illinois AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) will be sufficiently funded to “serve approximately 4,500 clients a month—an increase of 400” recipients, avoiding the waiting list that had been recommended in May by the Medical Issues Advisory Board. The Board is comprised of doctors, pharmacists, legal experts, advocates, and people with HIV, and advises the Illinois Department of Public Health on ADAP policy. They had recommended that Illinois institute a waiting list for ADAP because program costs are far exceeding available funding.

In the last nine months, the ADAP program, which supplies medications to low-income, HIV-positive Illinois residents who can’t afford the expensive drugs, provided HIV/AIDS medications to an average of 4,165 Illinoisans per month.

“We thank Governor Quinn for underscoring the importance of sustaining access to lifesaving HIV medications,” said Mark Ishaug, President/CEO of the AIDS Foundation of Chicago.

Though the announcement was good news for ADAP, it was also reported that $17 million was cut from the Illinois Department of Public Health, which supports critical HIV/AIDS and public health services, though no HIV programs were specifically listed for funding cuts.

“We eagerly await detailed budget information for all HIV programs and services and hope the Administration adequately funds a full spectrum of activities from prevention to housing and ADAP,” said Ishaug.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 06:11:00 pm »
This should liven things up in this thread.  Evidently the man pictured in the New York Times article is this same man, (the one on the right you lame, tired size queens, not the one with the blood engorged cockage courtesy of nightly penis pump activity!) courtesy of Bear Omnimedia LLC/ButchBear.com

Also, for videography click hefre (one of his titles is called "Truck Stop" and we all know who that brings to mind) and at this link you're guess is as good as mine if it's "just for friendship"!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:13:21 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 07:41:16 pm »
This should liven things up in this thread.  Evidently the man pictured in the New York Times article is this same man, (the one on the right you lame, tired size queens, not the one with the blood engorged cockage courtesy of nightly penis pump activity!) courtesy of Bear Omnimedia LLC/ButchBear.com

Also, for videography click hefre (one of his titles is called "Truck Stop" and we all know who that brings to mind) and at this link you're guess is as good as mine if it's "just for friendship"!

interesting...i've seen him around town
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:25 pm »
This is all so very scary. If it weren't for ADAP, I would be screwed. I keep seeing this $12,000 a year or $2000 a month but mine is not so. I'm not sure how it all works but the cost listed on the drug sheets from the pharmacy are a whole lot more. For my Lexiva, Truvada and Valacyclovir it totals over $43,000 a year!!! Can you fucking believe it!?
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2010, 02:55:18 am »
This is all so very scary. If it weren't for ADAP, I would be screwed. I keep seeing this $12,000 a year or $2000 a month but mine is not so. I'm not sure how it all works but the cost listed on the drug sheets from the pharmacy are a whole lot more. For my Lexiva, Truvada and Valacyclovir it totals over $43,000 a year!!! Can you fucking believe it!?

No.

Which pharmacy do you go to ?
At Costco.com pharmacy prices, truvada + valacyclovir cost $15423.36 annually, using their more expensive monthly price - you can get 90 tablets at a time to get a discount, but ADAP only covers 30 days at a time.
Costco doesn't carry Lexiva. At drugstore.com it is listed at $402.90/month, or $4834.8 anually.
This puts the annual total for your 3 meds at $20,258.16 . Not anywhere close to $43,000 !

If ADAP is really getting billed that much for your meds, I have to wonder what would happen to ADAP funds if everybody who is on it went to discount pharmacies to get their meds. Maybe there is a lot of money to be saved and a lot more people could be covered for the same price.

Offline edfu

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2010, 04:30:26 am »
The issue you make about discount mail-order pharmacies is a valid one.   My state's ADAP lets you order only 30 days at a time, and you cannot use a mail-order pharmacy.  I intend to try to find out the reasoning behind this.  If you do the math on my monthly drug charges, listed above, my ARV's + Valacyclovir come to $27,077 annually.  Adding my psychotropics (for depression and severe insomnia), it comes to an annual figure of $32,141.   

In any event, that $12,000 annual figure continuously reported in the media MUST be corrected.     
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2010, 08:41:01 am »
Adding my psychotropics (for depression and severe insomnia), it comes to an annual figure of $32,141.     

That's a lot of klonopin, Edina.  Let me know when I should take the train up to Connecticut and we'll have a party.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:27 am »

Even looking at regular retail prices for these medications it's nowhere near $43K per year. Dugstore.com is a good place to see retail prices for most meds.

And the way ADAPs work is they buy meds at a discount so they don't ordinarily pay retail.

That can't possibly be the price for your meds, there has to be a mistake.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2010, 10:45:12 am »

Why didn't I get a body like that along with my diagnosis? 

I really feel for my poz American brothers & sisters.  Nobody should have to go through this kind of stress on top of the virus.   It makes me realize how lucky I am that even the centre-right gov't here in BC is committed to expanding the number of HIV+ folks receiving meds (at no cost or co-pay).
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2010, 04:20:35 pm »
(Tom Chase was horse hung when he was young and not a bear. Don't think its penis pumping.)
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2010, 04:54:09 pm »
I always thought Tom Chase looked like Howdy Doody.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2010, 05:01:35 pm »
I always thought Tom Chase looked like Howdy Doody.

They are both men of wood.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2010, 05:24:19 pm »
They are both men of wood.

What does that mean, "men of wood"?

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2010, 05:29:25 pm »
Baaad joke on my part.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2010, 05:30:44 pm »
What does that mean, "men of wood"?

come on inchling, you can get this, think it through.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2010, 05:40:05 pm »
Baaad joke on my part.

You're incapable of anything bad, Ford. ;)

I sorta get it.

Offline CoupleNYC

I make $55000 and that will be just too much to qualify on ADAP in NY. I have Oxford insurance but don't really know how it all works. Will I have to pay just a little towards my meds, will the Oxford say to me "we can pay 20% or so???" Will they not cover any??? All those questions really worry me!!! I already don't care too much about the fact of taking meds, just don't want to be broke at the same time. So my question is this. How do insurance companies respond to paing for hiv meds, do they really help you with that a lot?? Is the insurance a real life saver or just a little discount card that doesn't help you too much? Is ADAP the only way forward? Please help
Aug 3 2012-Cd4-450, VL-43000
Our Meds
Norvir, Truvada, Reyataz, (3 pills, once a day)

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
I make $55000 and that will be just too much to qualify on ADAP in NY. I have Oxford insurance but don't really know how it all works. Will I have to pay just a little towards my meds, will the Oxford say to me "we can pay 20% or so???" Will they not cover any??? All those questions really worry me!!! I already don't care too much about the fact of taking meds, just don't want to be broke at the same time. So my question is this. How do insurance companies respond to paing for hiv meds, do they really help you with that a lot?? Is the insurance a real life saver or just a little discount card that doesn't help you too much? Is ADAP the only way forward? Please help

Those are questions you need to ask your insurance company. Look for your prescription benefits. You don't need to mention the meds are for HIV if you call them about it. Just ask them for the coverage for brand-name prescription drugs.

You also should probably not resurrect this old thread.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.