Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:35:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 672
Total: 672

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Genvoya question  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Kingofhearts517

Genvoya question
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:32:00 pm »
Hey all!

I’ve been on Genvoya for about a month now. I was wondering if anyone else who is also taking this medication have issues with constipation and or weight gain?

Offline jboy

Re: Genvoya question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 01:36:26 am »
hi,

I have had weight gain from taking genvoya. wouldn't say constipation. more the opposite. when I first started taking it, I was ok, then as months went on I started to get really bad anxiety. very fast heartbeat, and muscle pain. genvoya comes in second for the worst pill I have taken. but not everyone is the same. just keep a close eye on it. if you start to develop a fast heartbeat and anxiety problems I would come off them quick. they have been terrible for me and being on them this last year and a half has been the worst, atripla was my worst nightmare. they have given me triumeq now. but I have read on here that they have similar effects to what atripla does, so I am going to speak to my doctor today before I start them. because once I am on them then I need to take them for a month. I hope this helps

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:15:43 am »
No constipation or weight gain or anxiety for me.Ive been on genvoya for over 2 years.I find it perfect.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline mlgoforth

• Michael Miguel Goforth devotee of Adi Da Samraj
    • Google Profile Michael Miguel Goforth
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:30:21 am »
On Genvoya 2 months, no constipation and or weight gain.
*Infected 1980, Test+1987 | 2018=38yrs
*1998-2005 Viracept,3TC,D4T side effect extreme fatigue
*2005-2010 Sustiva,3TC,AZT side effect extreme fatigue, brain high
*2010-2018 Reyataz,Norvir,3TC,AZT.
side effect totally disabling extreme fatigue.
20180913- Genvoya extreme fatigue now less. Yeah!
*Undetectable 1998 on, CD4  1998=60(AIDS), 2018=500+
Side effects, 1998 on Metabolic Syndrome, 2003 on Extreme Fatigue gets worse @yr, 2005 on Neuropathy, 1998 on Buffalo Hump, 2013 Diabetic Ketoacidosis nearly died, now take Insulin, Cannabis re Neuropathy, Lisinopril re bp, Lipitor re Cholesterol, Testosterone re fatigue, Various supplements, Simple diet, no processed foods, lots of fermented food

Offline Grendal

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 03:05:13 pm »
On Genvoya 10 months, it’s easy now except sometimes the timing with food. Weight sticks on me a little more than with previous meds but still slowly shedding excess. Had diarrhea for a while at first, it really took 5-6 months to get fully used to it. I do have an exercise habit and usually eat well.

Grendal
UD for several years

Offline newone

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 08:26:26 pm »
I am some couple of weeks away from switching from Stribild to Genvoya as suggested by my doctor.
 As the combination of medicines are similar to each other hopefully (I have been reassured) I won't experience any unwanted weight gain and other complications, time will tell.
Sustiva, Atripla, Complera, Stribild, Genvoya. Odefsey, Dovato.

Offline ElPresidente

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 04:17:54 pm »
I started with Tivicay + Truvada 3 years ago a day after my diagnosis (CD4 850, VL 17000), got undetectable within 10 days(I was shocked myself), kept going with that combo and after a year I switched to Genvoya (reasons: extreme gas, bloating, burning in the anus, enhanced sensitivity and extreme burning in the knees). It's almost 2y now that I'm on it.

After the switch, almost all my previous side effects diminished within 2 days. The gas was much, much less but still doing a bit of problems. After first 5 months, the gas and anus burning reached similar level I had with previous combo. It was unacceptable. My doctor didn't get it and didn't do anything. He just asked: 'do you wanna next 3 packages of Genvoya?'. That's the time I changed the doctor. Before my next visit with the new doctor I needed to fly for long awaited 2 weeks vacation with no help. The only thing I felt was that I don't wanna take Genvoya anymore, but it felt like I was the only one understanding my body. Having no other option, I switched my Genvoya for 2 days and i took just Tivicay for the next 48 hrs. Afterwards I came back to Genvoya and normal dosing of it. I was scared like wow, but I had no option that time. When I saw the new doctor, she seemed to understand me well and was very shocked about the entire story. We were both willing to change again, but after this trick, something crazy, unexplainable happened to me: the gas resolved. We both don't know why. Since then, I'm taking my Genvoya as prescribed, from time to time forgetting a dose, but I think i'm adhering to it for ~97%. It was like a miracle for me, cause the beginnings with that gas on previous combo and this one were just making me going crazy.

Beside that: I have experienced no contistipation, rather the opposite; i think the word loosy stool would be a perfect description. It's not always. Sometimes it looks really good and sometimes it's just split in a more pieces.

As for the weight gain:
I have always been a person who could eat anything (healthy or not) in any kind of amounts and I had always stayed with the same weight (around 80kg that time). My entire life (i'm 31y old now), i tried to put on weight to look better. With my metabolism and eating the loads of food combined with no explicitly made sports it has been a huge fiasco - my weight kept always same. No matter what I did.
After 3y of treatment and 2 years of Genvoya I have been gradually adding to my weight and reached 85kg at the moment. My height is 187cm. The number seems stable and not willing to go up or down (I'm measuring regularily at the same time, usually in the morning with the same scale). If it's entirely because of the treatment, it's very hard to say.

Other sides:
I experience also burning in my knees like once per week and it could hold for a day or so + some chest pressure on my left side. Feeling a bit more tired than before the treatment. Sleeping extremely good - could do it anytime and everywhere. Don't know why, I've never been like that.

There is a bit of the gas still. One day more and one day less. I observed it a bit and found out that in my case the gas increased when I ate lot of meet. It happened to me that I skipped my dose from time to time (once per 2 months max.). When this happens, I get punished with increased gases and farting like a vespa motorcycle - this continues usually for a week and then comes back to just a little bit or almost zero. So if I fart extensively, it's always my sign that I forgot the dose :)

Lab results:
I have got my last lab results recently and they were really good. My CD4=1000, VL=UD all those years. I never had any blips. Filtration rate normal. Kidneys, liver all good. Urin perfect.

The only anomalities are:
- Triglycerides reaching the level of 2.1 mmol/l (norm: 0-2)
- Calcium (corrected with consideration of Albumin level) 2.05 mmol/l (norm 2.15-2.5)

Triglycerides seems to be the cause of the cobicistat booster part of Genvoya. Calcium will be supplemented in my case to fill the gap.

I'm slightly worried about my triglycerides, since they were on the level 0.7 before the treatment and increased gradually. My doc's comment as for the results was: supppppeeeerrrr. So I'll give it another 6 months and see what to do then.

The beginnings were really harsh in my trip with Genvoya. And it hasn't been weeks or 2 months as most of the people write here, but I think I find my way with it and I'm really happy and healthy now. I hope you find it helpful.
06.2016, Dx, CD4 800+, VL 17000
06.2016, Started Tivicay + Truvada
07.2016, CD4 ?, VL UD
04.2017, Started Genvoya, CD4 ?, VL UD
12.2018, CD4 1000+, VL UD

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 04:25:10 pm »
@ElPresidente

Welcome to the forum, glad to hear things are going well on treatment for you.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline ketopoz

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:00:34 pm »
I recently switched off Genvoya after being on it 2+ years due to weight gain. Doc says recent studies came out showing genvoya causes difficulties with losing weight
Aug. 24th, 2013- exposed
Oct. 19th- tested poz
Oct. 22nd- CD4 658 VL 62,000
Dec. 12th- CD4 609 VL 23,000
Jan. 03rd- started treatment (clinical trial- blind study of either Stribild or Truvada)

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 09:02:29 pm »
On Genvoya for a little over a year,, gained about 15 lbs. (7 kilo),, other than that, no side effects at all,, labs have all been great and stable the whole time... don't usually take it with food like youre supposed to, but doc says that your undetectable either way, so keep doing what your doing...  best of luck

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.