Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:47:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 381
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 383
Total: 383

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Experts Please help......I'm devastated!!!  (Read 23422 times)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Experts Please help......I'm devastated!!!
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2007, 09:56:30 am »
Perhaps the fact that your encounter was with a sex worker has played some part in your unwarranted anxiety about the whole incident.

There's something about being with a professional which often seems to stir such feelings. Whether it's shame, guilt or an often mistaken idea that even safer sex with a professional is riskier, iyour reaction is one that is experienced by many other men.

Unfortunately, once those feelings are stirred, all the realities of HIV science fall by the wayside and fears take over. Which is what I suspect has happened with you.

Good luck in getting this cleared up in the proper setting.

Andy Velez

Offline americande

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2007, 09:57:50 am »
Come to think of it, i just wanted to make an inference from this encounter of mine, i guess there's really no risk of HIV infection if one's penis is exposed to the vaginal secretions of a HIV infected individual , after the vaginal fluids have been exposed to air..that was really my concern in the first place...so i guess this inference is right??

The only real danger is with penetrative unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse!!!! coz HIV when exposed to the air loses it's potency of infection?

Offline americande

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2007, 10:00:03 am »
That's right andy, most of what you said is true!!! we kind of sometimes take sex-workers to be infected even if they are not..which i guess isn't a right thing to do....

Yeal all the best to all of you & i will get properly treated to my other symptoms which i'm sure now aren't HIV.... thanx again!!!

Offline americande

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2007, 07:44:57 am »
Hi everybody, just wanted to say that i did visit another doc for treatment of symptoms, i've developed some stomach related ailments & other tension related stuff, i did tell the doc about the history of the incident i had also, which is now over 5 weeks, in the testing procedure though he did include a HiV DNA PCR test for confirmation, which was now taken over 5 weeks after the day of the encounter..

I've come out undetected...& negative for both hiv 1 & 2...

Guess this puts an end to any speculation of the tiniest amount of risk i may have had....i keep having loose stools time & again but i'm under treatment for the same..

just wanted to know whether i could put HiV behind me now......

thanx...amer!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2007, 08:00:27 am »
americande,

Considering you never had a risk of infection, yes, you can put this behind you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline americande

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2007, 01:56:42 pm »
Hi everybody & thanx Ann for the assurance...

Now that the 10 day PCR & the post 5 week PCR's are negative..i guess it's pretty much conclusively negative..

Just wanted to know if there are any rare cases of PCR being negative & then actually the person turning out to be positive?? i mean any percentages on the same...

& yeah just wanted to know if the PCR covers all the strains of HIV including the subtype C, which i've heard progresses much faster than other subtypes..does it mean it's also more easily transmitted!!!.

I know I'm negative & a low(nil)- risk to start with but the info would be very useful for knowledge..thanx again!

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2007, 02:44:09 pm »
PCR's have a high rate of false POSITIVES, which is why they are not reccommended for diagnostic purposes, but not of false negatives.  You are negative.

Do try and move on with your life.

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline americande

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2007, 12:44:57 pm »
Hi Guys, Hope everybody's doing well,

I've been having all kinds of symtpoms, & as you said andy i guess the gulit of visiting the sex-worker & associated stress has got to me..
Anyways I'm trying to relax.....really have made an effort!!

I went to the Doc, at about 7.5 weeks & he rolled out a complete STD panel for me, i Guess HIV risk was really low, but i dint check for any other STI's.

Everything has come back negative...& HIV Elisa returns negative at 7.5 weeks..is that Good enough to say i'm over the line & can move on really now!!

I was really worried mainly coz before i did my 2nd PCR at 36 days & got a negative I had submitted a sample a few days prior, for which the lab got back to saying the result was indeterminate??? what does this mean...does it mean false positive???? please let me know.....anyways the sample was re-submitted & it came back negative...

Please let me know, if HIV DNA testing post 28 days (in my case 36 days) comes back negative is there any chance of the virus hiding anywhere else in the blood stream or is it enough time for replication & circulation to happen if the person was actually infected??

I also got my hands on this table...Please give me your thoughts on this..

Here is the testing information I recieved :

Time to test "Positive" on HIV Tests:

3 weeks -- 75%
4 weeks -- 96%
6 weeks -- 98%
8 weeks -- 99%
10-12 weeks --100%

*The only exceptions to this are people with recent organ transplants or those who are on chemotherapy treatment.

So i mean are you aware of any figures where people have seroconverted after testing negative close to the 8 week mark....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:49:02 pm by americande »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2007, 12:58:42 pm »
It doesn't concern you at all. You didn't have a risk.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.