Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:25:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 483
Total: 483

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: push-ups and wrist strain  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
push-ups and wrist strain
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:07:55 pm »

I'm writing this partly as warning for others who might be doing pushups, and partly to see if anyone has any advice as far as avoiding this problem in future. 

About six months ago I started doing push-ups and chin-ups at home.  When I started I was very intent on doing things the right way and read several articles and watched several you-tube videos about proper form and so forth.  The first day--but I think I was still recovering from my CMV illness--I was capable of only six push-ups and one chin-up!  By November I was doing about forty chin-ups and ninety push-ups. 

Then the trouble started.  The day after doing push-ups I would notice my left wrist hurt, and it got worse as time went on.  I looked this up and found lots of people complaining about the same thing online.  The solution suggested was not to put one's hands flat on the floor, with wrists rising perpendicular to hands--this is not a comfortable position for the wrists--but with fists on the floor so that the wrist rises straight from the fist.  I did this but the next day the pain was horrible.  Then I stopped doing pushups and chin-ups altogether. 

About a month passed.  Mostly I felt pain in the wrist every morning when I woke up.  On two occasions I struggled with a very difficult-to-open jar and the next day the pain was far worse.  Also picking up very heavy things with the left hand was painful.  That is still the situation now.  I think it may be improving now but if it is it is doing so very slowly.

A few days ago I saw my doctor about this.  She said that in addition to the question of the position of the wrist, there is also the question of what part of the body is doing the work in push-ups.  The hands should not be straining.  Most of the work should be done by the chest and the abdomen.  If you feel tension in the hands or arms, you are doing it wrong, she said. She also suggested doing fewer push-ups, more slowly, and thus with more attention to good form. 

Then came the bad news.  Wrist strain heals very slowly and for at least another month I am not to do any push-ups.  Chin-ups too put strain on the wrist and I should avoid them.   

This is not high on the list of human suffering and I feel a little embarrassed for going on about it here, but it comes at a bad time.  For six months I was growingly frustrated with the lack of any improvement in my shape while doing these exercises.  Triceps were visibly growing but neither biceps nor chest.  Then, finally, I thought I was seeing some development in those areas--and that's when this happened.  It's been a month since I did either exercise and if I have to wait another month any muscles I did develop will have been lost by that time and I'll be starting over again.  And even if I do start all over again I'll be paranoid about this happening again. 

Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?  How did you deal with it? 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: push-ups and wrist strain
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:51:30 pm »

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:46:20 am »
I've had wrist problems through the years starting with a fall while shovelling snow nearly 30 years ago where I awkwardly fell more on my left wrist than my outstretched hand. I didn't break anything but I must have damaged the ligaments.

Because I had to keep going to work and because my work involved lifting, I never got to rest my wrist properly and it turned into carpel tunnel syndrome and I could ignore it no longer. Unfortunately, all that could really be done was to put it into a wrist support and not use it for a period of months. (if I recall correctly, there is an op or some other costly treatment available for this condition, but I didn't have insurance) During that time, I started having problems with my right wrist due to over-use while compensating for my injured left wrist.

This went on for a few years, so be careful and get a wrist brace to help immobilise it and let it rest as much as you can before it gets worse. Get a proper brace - they look like strange half-gloves with a metal strip in the palm - don't just wrap it with an ace bandage. Ace bandages made mine worse.

Ever since then both of my wrists tend to be a bit weak. My right wrist gets sore quite a bit from using the computer mouse so I have to be careful that my wrist is supported when on the computer.

During the time that I was a commercial fisherman, ironically I had no problems with my wrists at all. I think it was because through the activities I engaged in, notably working with lifting ropes on the drum-end of the winch, my arms became very muscular without putting any stain on my wrists. Maybe you should look into exercises to strengthen your arm muscles that do not put the strain on your wrists that push-ups will. But let your wrist heal first.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Hoover

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:39:38 am »
To avoid writs issues, we do push-ups on a mat and use push-up handles.
With traveling and now the flue, we have not worked out in 3 weeks!
It is sad how quickly how all our progress disappears in just a few days.
Sometimes I wonder if it is worth the effort.
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:22:35 am »
In my experience the only thing you can do it not put stress on your wrist and allow it to heal. It can be frustrating how long it can take.

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:12 pm »
Hello,

It's been in the back of my mind forever to update this, and to thank those who commented very helpfully here, and now, while I'm sharing all my other good news, seems like a good time to do it.  

First moral: if you've got a problem, please do not ignore it as it gets worse and worse and worse.  A stitch in time saves nine!  I've learned that the hard way with everything from toothaches to this wrist problem.  

The wrist pain started to emerge sometime in November after I was intensively doing pushups.  I ignored it, and then when someone said "give it a rest for a while", I stupidly interpreted that to mean "don't do pushups for two days."  Finally it got unbearable, and I started this thread.  Anyway I didn't do pushups, or any other exercise involving my hands, throughout January and February--God knows in March I had enough other problems to worry about--and gradually the wrist pain got less and less--until it started getting worse again.  The problem? Thai massage!  There's a moment in a Thai massage where the masseur bends your wrist backwards to work on your fingers--not the right thing for someone with a strained wrist!  Please, if you have any problem, make sure to ask a masseur to avoid the area.  

Then there were other moments when life suddenly did things to make my wrist strain felt--like when I was sharing a bed with a guy, having my arm around him, and having him suddenly roll over, twisting my wrist in the process...The guy was definitely worth it,  ;D but I think that set the wrist healing back a a week or so!

Anyway by April the pain was clearly never going to go away entirely and I decided to go back to the gym.  And it was the right decision!  At first the pain got worse again, and all kinds of gym movements--not so much the exercises themselves, but things like putting a barbell back on the rack after I'd used it, made my wrist hurt a bit more at first, until I figured out how to do those things very carefully.  But as I strengthened my arms, just as Ann suggests above, that seems to have solved the problem!  And quite frankly now I do not remember when I last felt wrist pain, but it was some time ago.  

One thing I have not even thought about doing, however, is doing pushups.  I may never do another pushup in my life; for now at least it's just bench presses instead, and I'm making pretty decent progress with those!!!!  so again, whatever exercise or sport you do, please take precautions and beware of hurting your joints.  They are fragile!  Thanks again to those who gave advice.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:41:50 pm by Nestor »
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.